One-Nighters Marathon!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee2014

Reaction score
So two rooms were booked Thursday-Monday all with one nighters…. They were the first ones checked in, last checked out, no tips, didn't join in with the rest of the crowd with the weather guessing & checking, wine tastings, story telling, and chess games, etc in the evening. All sixteen of them… They all missed out on so much…. hope they enjoyed their vacation anyways!
Even Mr. Tool was like, "What's up with these people? Why stay at a B&B?" ( He brings drinks and snacks to share with everyone.)

It's odd how that goes sometimes. We've had one couple here for a week. They talk to everyone and ask each morning if there will be new people tonight. They are kind of excited to see who's here. They traded info with one guest from across the pond. There was some matchmaking going on there.
Last night we had a one night couple who found us on the state road map. (yay! this was the first year we took an ad out there.) They talked to everyone, also.
But some folks just don't mix and mingle. They like the idea of not being in a big, cold, impersonal hotel but still don't want to join in. Funny how it was two rooms for so many nights, tho!

It's odd how that goes sometimes. We've had one couple here for a week. They talk to everyone and ask each morning if there will be new people tonight. They are kind of excited to see who's here. They traded info with one guest from across the pond. There was some matchmaking going on there.
Last night we had a one night couple who found us on the state road map. (yay! this was the first year we took an ad out there.) They talked to everyone, also.
But some folks just don't mix and mingle. They like the idea of not being in a big, cold, impersonal hotel but still don't want to join in. Funny how it was two rooms for so many nights, tho!.
When we get an one nighter we try to keep all one nighters scheduled like that to leave other rooms open for the whole weekend. It doesn't always work out, but we give it our very best! We have that you have to contact us for one night and market the room we want the one nighter in.

NOT trying to start an argument, but why must every guest at a b&b be a joiner?
As long as they just go about their business, and don't complain about things, I have no problem with that. I was happy to have their business.
I stay at b&b's because I prefer them over hotels, I feel safer in them. But I am most always alone, sometimes have 'stuff' going on and I'm not wanting to mingle.
Isn't that an objection some people have about staying at a b&b? That they don't want to feel pressured to join in?

NOT trying to start an argument, but why must every guest at a b&b be a joiner?
As long as they just go about their business, and don't complain about things, I have no problem with that. I was happy to have their business.
I stay at b&b's because I prefer them over hotels, I feel safer in them. But I am most always alone, sometimes have 'stuff' going on and I'm not wanting to mingle.
Isn't that an objection some people have about staying at a b&b? That they don't want to feel pressured to join in?.
I think it's because so many people say they don't want to go to a b&b because they don't want to join in.
The perception is it's a big party and you have to join.
I'm not a joiner, either. That's why we go to hotels.

I also like b&b's because they're smaller ... three guest rooms, five, ten, a dozen ... instead of a couple hundred.
Someone would actually notice if I didn't show up for breakfast. (always included in the places I stay)
I can always park near the door ... not in a large, dimly lit parking lot. (Like I said, I feel safer)
Nooks and crannies, rooms with personality and did I mention those breakfasts?
There are goodies ... usually homemade cookies and real coffee with real cream.
I would rather give my business to the small owner than a chain.
Sometimes I'm a joiner and a talker ... but sometimes I'm not.
Still, there are so many reasons I prefer a b&b.

We've had one nighters that are upset they didn't give themselves time to enjoy the area and the house.
Yesterday, we had a couple in the breakfast room enjoying breakfast. If I went into the room to check the coffee of put out more food, they would whisper.

Duff2014 said:
So two rooms were booked Thursday-Monday all with one nighters…. They were the first ones checked in, last checked out, no tips, didn't join in with the rest of the crowd with the weather guessing & checking, wine tastings, story telling, and chess games, etc in the evening. All sixteen of them… They all missed out on so much…. hope they enjoyed their vacation anyways!
Even Mr. Tool was like, "What's up with these people? Why stay at a B&B?" ( He brings drinks and snacks to share with everyone.)
Wow Duff, I understand what you are saying, but you might have missed the mark on this one. I would never join in at a B&B, ever. In fact, if that was going on I would never leave my room or go somewhere else. Doesn't mean I don't like the inn, the grounds, the place. I do.
Plus if they were a couple they probably had better things to do. Just sayin'... "they enjoyed their vacation anyways!"
PS We have a big porch and nobody sits on it, they use it as a walkway. I mean, literally the last month, even this last weekend the mornings were cool and it was the perfect place to enjoy your coffee. Not a soul, you can hear the crickets out there...chirp chirp. We have a parlor and no one has been in there. In fact, for a month no one has interacted with any other guests other than when they had to at breakfast or passing, and that is okay.

Our guests fall into two categories: Joiners and Loners. For us, it breaks down as 25% joiners, 75% loners. Most of our guests are couples looking for a private getaway.

I dislike one-nighters, which is why I charge more, because of the extra turn overs. The first two years when we took single night reservations we found out that apparently we were some people's "splurge". And it was so much work doing the turn overs. I charge more for a single night, now. It's more work. More wear on the sheets, the towels, etc.

We advertise our place as, "Come home to Duff's Place!" and "Come join the Duff family" and "Welcome home!", for the last 40 years. It's one big (most of the time) happy family! The repeat guests sees it as their place…. so we have to remind them that they are on vacation as we ague over who's mowing the yard this time! The "they came, they paid, they went away" people are not our regular guests. So that's why no one understood those one nighters…

We advertise our place as, "Come home to Duff's Place!" and "Come join the Duff family" and "Welcome home!", for the last 40 years. It's one big (most of the time) happy family! The repeat guests sees it as their place…. so we have to remind them that they are on vacation as we ague over who's mowing the yard this time! The "they came, they paid, they went away" people are not our regular guests. So that's why no one understood those one nighters….
Duff2014 said:
We advertise our place as, "Come home to Duff's Place!" and "Come join the Duff family" and "Welcome home!", for the last 40 years. It's one big (most of the time) happy family! The repeat guests sees it as their place…. so we have to remind them that they are on vacation as we ague over who's mowing the yard this time! The "they came, they paid, they went away" people are not our regular guests. So that's why no one understood those one nighters…
As Generic mentioned, it may be a splurge for some people, and one night plus dinner and whatever else they spend$ is a big deal. I am happy to have them, and yes it is way more work, but for many they can make precious memories spending time together, that is more valuable than hanging out with strangers.
Can you tell I am gearing up to get away with the one I love for a few days? The last thing I want it to be around people. That is how we relax, get away from everything and everyone. I am not your target guest. If I stayed there I would use it for a bed and breakfast only, and be out and about doing stuff.

We don't offer one-night stays but we do offer the cottage for short stays during the shoulder season for those who want to be totally by themselves. We try to market to both types of guests: those who want the full monty B+B experience of shared laughter around a breakfast table and those who want seclusion and privacy where they do not have to interact with anyone if they choose not to.
Of course it helps to have 2 kinds of accommodations: suites in the house and a stand alone cottage. But I am with you on the one-nighters....lots of work!

We advertise our place as, "Come home to Duff's Place!" and "Come join the Duff family" and "Welcome home!", for the last 40 years. It's one big (most of the time) happy family! The repeat guests sees it as their place…. so we have to remind them that they are on vacation as we ague over who's mowing the yard this time! The "they came, they paid, they went away" people are not our regular guests. So that's why no one understood those one nighters….
Duff2014 said:
As Generic mentioned, it may be a splurge for some people, and one night plus dinner and whatever else they spend$ is a big deal. I am happy to have them, and yes it is way more work, but for many they can make precious memories spending time together, that is more valuable than hanging out with strangers.
Can you tell I am gearing up to get away with the one I love for a few days? The last thing I want it to be around people. That is how we relax, get away from everything and everyone. I am not your target guest. If I stayed there I would use it for a bed and breakfast only, and be out and about doing stuff.
JBloggs said:
I am not your target guest. If I stayed there I would use it for a bed and breakfast only, and be out and about doing stuff.
You're MY target guest! The one who goes out to enjoy the area and comes back filled with wonder at what you've found.
As much as I love helping guests find fun things to do it's better when guests come back and tell me about things I didn't know existed.
I'm itching to get back on the back roads again to find these great hidden treasures I see from following a bunch of photography buffs.

I also like b&b's because they're smaller ... three guest rooms, five, ten, a dozen ... instead of a couple hundred.
Someone would actually notice if I didn't show up for breakfast. (always included in the places I stay)
I can always park near the door ... not in a large, dimly lit parking lot. (Like I said, I feel safer)
Nooks and crannies, rooms with personality and did I mention those breakfasts?
There are goodies ... usually homemade cookies and real coffee with real cream.
I would rather give my business to the small owner than a chain.
Sometimes I'm a joiner and a talker ... but sometimes I'm not.
Still, there are so many reasons I prefer a b&b..
seashanty said:
real coffee with real cream.
Yes!

Last year swamped with one nighters in August. Partly because we are on the way from here to there so a midway stop. Partly because we get good food reviews and are vegan, vegetarian, GF, what-have-you friendly. Partly because there are no motels or chain accommodations in our immediate area. Fewer this year, but just had two days of total turnovers. Nowdays I'm thinking 'this will keep me young and flexible' <creaks away from computer>

had two guests this week say " we thought we would ring cam and see if she can get us in" that's the people I like!

I am flooded with one nighters. Next year, I've raised my prices but will give a discount if you book through my site and stay two nights or more (I use OTAs, shoot me)
Hoping that may sway the bookers who use the OTAs for reward points by saving them cash on the bottom line. Discount will cost me less than their commission plus it will hopefully save me a little work.

We don't offer one-night stays but we do offer the cottage for short stays during the shoulder season for those who want to be totally by themselves. We try to market to both types of guests: those who want the full monty B+B experience of shared laughter around a breakfast table and those who want seclusion and privacy where they do not have to interact with anyone if they choose not to.
Of course it helps to have 2 kinds of accommodations: suites in the house and a stand alone cottage. But I am with you on the one-nighters....lots of work!.
We have a cottage too. We have one nighters. We have those who stay for ten days. We get them all from time to time…. but we tend to attract the ones looking to meet people. We have one repeat couple that just wants to be left alone, so we ignore them after saying good morning.
We charge more for a one night stay on Saturday….they pay since we are one of only a select few that take one nighters.

had two guests this week say " we thought we would ring cam and see if she can get us in" that's the people I like!
Jcam said:
thumbs_up.gif
I hope you were able to do just that!

Latest posts

Back