One-Nighters Marathon!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We advertise our place as, "Come home to Duff's Place!" and "Come join the Duff family" and "Welcome home!", for the last 40 years. It's one big (most of the time) happy family! The repeat guests sees it as their place…. so we have to remind them that they are on vacation as we ague over who's mowing the yard this time! The "they came, they paid, they went away" people are not our regular guests. So that's why no one understood those one nighters….
Duff2014 said:
We advertise our place as, "Come home to Duff's Place!" and "Come join the Duff family" and "Welcome home!", for the last 40 years. It's one big (most of the time) happy family! The repeat guests sees it as their place…. so we have to remind them that they are on vacation as we ague over who's mowing the yard this time! The "they came, they paid, they went away" people are not our regular guests. So that's why no one understood those one nighters…
As Generic mentioned, it may be a splurge for some people, and one night plus dinner and whatever else they spend$ is a big deal. I am happy to have them, and yes it is way more work, but for many they can make precious memories spending time together, that is more valuable than hanging out with strangers.
Can you tell I am gearing up to get away with the one I love for a few days? The last thing I want it to be around people. That is how we relax, get away from everything and everyone. I am not your target guest. If I stayed there I would use it for a bed and breakfast only, and be out and about doing stuff.
JBloggs said:
I am not your target guest. If I stayed there I would use it for a bed and breakfast only, and be out and about doing stuff.
You're MY target guest! The one who goes out to enjoy the area and comes back filled with wonder at what you've found.
As much as I love helping guests find fun things to do it's better when guests come back and tell me about things I didn't know existed.
I'm itching to get back on the back roads again to find these great hidden treasures I see from following a bunch of photography buffs.
Morticia said:
JBloggs said:
I am not your target guest. If I stayed there I would use it for a bed and breakfast only, and be out and about doing stuff.
You're MY target guest! The one who goes out to enjoy the area and comes back filled with wonder at what you've found.
As much as I love helping guests find fun things to do it's better when guests come back and tell me about things I didn't know existed.
I'm itching to get back on the back roads again to find these great hidden treasures I see from following a bunch of photography buffs.
Oh, they do that too and come back and swap what they have done. Get advice on whether this is a good restaurant, which Uber driver comes to the front door, has anyone tried this tour?, etc. They also swap phone numbers, friend each other on Facebook, and follow each other on social media. (Then they plan when they are coming back together…) Oh, were total strangers when they arrived here.
Our secret, we break the ice and introduce them to each other. Then when they are discussing stuff we walk out of the dining room….

We advertise our place as, "Come home to Duff's Place!" and "Come join the Duff family" and "Welcome home!", for the last 40 years. It's one big (most of the time) happy family! The repeat guests sees it as their place…. so we have to remind them that they are on vacation as we ague over who's mowing the yard this time! The "they came, they paid, they went away" people are not our regular guests. So that's why no one understood those one nighters….
Duff2014 said:
We advertise our place as, "Come home to Duff's Place!" and "Come join the Duff family" and "Welcome home!", for the last 40 years. It's one big (most of the time) happy family! The repeat guests sees it as their place…. so we have to remind them that they are on vacation as we ague over who's mowing the yard this time! The "they came, they paid, they went away" people are not our regular guests. So that's why no one understood those one nighters…
As Generic mentioned, it may be a splurge for some people, and one night plus dinner and whatever else they spend$ is a big deal. I am happy to have them, and yes it is way more work, but for many they can make precious memories spending time together, that is more valuable than hanging out with strangers.
Can you tell I am gearing up to get away with the one I love for a few days? The last thing I want it to be around people. That is how we relax, get away from everything and everyone. I am not your target guest. If I stayed there I would use it for a bed and breakfast only, and be out and about doing stuff.
I hope you two have a great time by yourselves!

We don't offer one-night stays but we do offer the cottage for short stays during the shoulder season for those who want to be totally by themselves. We try to market to both types of guests: those who want the full monty B+B experience of shared laughter around a breakfast table and those who want seclusion and privacy where they do not have to interact with anyone if they choose not to.
Of course it helps to have 2 kinds of accommodations: suites in the house and a stand alone cottage. But I am with you on the one-nighters....lots of work!.
We have a cottage too. We have one nighters. We have those who stay for ten days. We get them all from time to time…. but we tend to attract the ones looking to meet people. We have one repeat couple that just wants to be left alone, so we ignore them after saying good morning.
We charge more for a one night stay on Saturday….they pay since we are one of only a select few that take one nighters.
We used to do that, but found that when we went to a 2-night weekend minimum, we filled in without all the work of 2-one nighters. Be brave, give it a try. You can always reduce the minimum as the day gets closer if you don't book it for 2 nights.

Latest posts

Back