Opened a door lately? Wash your hands!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i am not a 'germaphobe'. i think we use too many antibacterial cleaning products that lower our resistance to germs.
i am allergic to triclosan that is an active ingredient in many hand disinfectant products ... purell i think has ethyl alcohol which ravages my hands sadly. so i am a hand scrubber with mild soap.
that being said ... in florida, the publix stores have wipes to wipe over the bar of the grocery carts ... a very good idea in my opinion.
i believe hospitals are one of the dirtiest places to be. i have worked in a couple ... too many viruses and germs floating around in the air maybe. not to be gross, but ill people waiting in er's or in admissions or just coming to visit ... coughing and hacking with problems like diarrhea, add poor hygiene, and it is very hard to contain the bacteria. introduce those issues into the environment around a person with a compromised immune system or someone having surgery and ..... it's a very serious problem. i used to take the alcohol wipes and run them over the phone, the keyboard, the computer mouse, the pens and the door knobs..
Anti-bacterial wipes should be banned and they are being banned in some places. They kill good bacteria as well as bad bacteria leaving us even more vulnerable. I don't have anti-bacterial anything in my house. I use bleach or tea tree oil which is a great disinfectant. Put 15 drops in a spray bottle and clean with it. Do the same thing with hydrogen peroxide.
The other thing is to wash hands, wash hands, wash hands. The first thing my husband and I do when returning home from public places is to wash our hands with soap and water. We are training ourselves to keep our hands away from our faces when out. It's so easy to forget and to rub an eye or scratch an itch, though.
ginocat said:
I don't have anti-bacterial anything in my house. I use bleach or tea tree oil which is a great disinfectant. Put 15 drops in a spray bottle and clean with it. Do the same thing with hydrogen peroxide.
Hello!
whattha.gif
DISINFECTANT = ANTI-BACTERIAL How is what you do any different from using a wipe? You're killing bacteria! I'm pretty sure that chlorine bleach can't discern between "good bacteria" and "bad bacteria. All you're doing is killing them with home remedies instead of a conventional commercial product.
If it makes you feel any better, after I clean a toilet with anti-bacterial products, I coat it with a good heaping mass of Active yogurt to replace the "good" bacteria.
tounge_smile.gif

I have all this stuff in my documents and it's a point of finding them.
There's another issue that was discussed by Infectious Diseases and Immunization Committee, Canadian Paediatric Society (CPS) talking about allergies.
LINK BETWEEN ANTIBACTERIAL PRODUCTS AND ALLERGIES
Many experts believe that for normal maturation, the immune system must be stimulated to acquire the precise balance between T helper (Th)-1 and Th-2 activity. Individuals with allergies and eczema are more likely to have a Th-1:Th-2 imbalance, with more Th-2 activity. Some experts are concerned that there may be an association between too much hygiene and allergies (19-21). It has been speculated that if there is an association between infections in early childhood and a decreased incidence of allergies and asthma (22), it is possible that the excessive use of antibacterials in the home may predispose children to the development of allergies and asthma.
Once again...IN THE HOME. We are not medical facilities, but we do owe it to our guests to provide a safe and clean environment.
Hopefully no one will be raising their children in your accommodations, so you don't have to be concerned with their T cells.
Proud Texan said:
Hopefully no one will be raising their children in your accommodations, so you don't have to be concerned with their T cells.
Ah, but I am.
But, as I'm not a germophobe, their T cells are getting plenty of opportunities.
=)
Kk.
omg_smile.gif

i am not a 'germaphobe'. i think we use too many antibacterial cleaning products that lower our resistance to germs.
i am allergic to triclosan that is an active ingredient in many hand disinfectant products ... purell i think has ethyl alcohol which ravages my hands sadly. so i am a hand scrubber with mild soap.
that being said ... in florida, the publix stores have wipes to wipe over the bar of the grocery carts ... a very good idea in my opinion.
i believe hospitals are one of the dirtiest places to be. i have worked in a couple ... too many viruses and germs floating around in the air maybe. not to be gross, but ill people waiting in er's or in admissions or just coming to visit ... coughing and hacking with problems like diarrhea, add poor hygiene, and it is very hard to contain the bacteria. introduce those issues into the environment around a person with a compromised immune system or someone having surgery and ..... it's a very serious problem. i used to take the alcohol wipes and run them over the phone, the keyboard, the computer mouse, the pens and the door knobs..
Anti-bacterial wipes should be banned and they are being banned in some places. They kill good bacteria as well as bad bacteria leaving us even more vulnerable. I don't have anti-bacterial anything in my house. I use bleach or tea tree oil which is a great disinfectant. Put 15 drops in a spray bottle and clean with it. Do the same thing with hydrogen peroxide.
The other thing is to wash hands, wash hands, wash hands. The first thing my husband and I do when returning home from public places is to wash our hands with soap and water. We are training ourselves to keep our hands away from our faces when out. It's so easy to forget and to rub an eye or scratch an itch, though.
ginocat said:
I don't have anti-bacterial anything in my house. I use bleach or tea tree oil which is a great disinfectant. Put 15 drops in a spray bottle and clean with it. Do the same thing with hydrogen peroxide.
Hello!
whattha.gif
DISINFECTANT = ANTI-BACTERIAL How is what you do any different from using a wipe? You're killing bacteria! I'm pretty sure that chlorine bleach can't discern between "good bacteria" and "bad bacteria. All you're doing is killing them with home remedies instead of a conventional commercial product.
If it makes you feel any better, after I clean a toilet with anti-bacterial products, I coat it with a good heaping mass of Active yogurt to replace the "good" bacteria.
tounge_smile.gif

There's another issue that was discussed by Infectious Diseases and Immunization Committee, Canadian Paediatric Society (CPS) talking about allergies.
Many experts believe that for normal maturation, the immune system must be stimulated to acquire the precise balance between T helper (Th)-1 and Th-2 activity. Individuals with allergies and eczema are more likely to have a Th-1:Th-2 imbalance, with more Th-2 activity. Some experts are concerned that there may be an association between too much hygiene and allergies (19-21). It has been speculated that if there is an association between infections in early childhood and a decreased incidence of allergies and asthma (22), it is possible that the excessive use of antibacterials in the home may predispose children to the development of allergies and asthma.
Once again...IN THE HOME. We are not medical facilities, but we do owe it to our guests to provide a safe and clean environment.
Proud Texan said:
Ah, but I am.
But, as I'm not a germophobe, their T cells are getting plenty of opportunities.
=)
Kk.
omg_smile.gif

I think there is a difference between bleach and the wipes but in the long run here on this forum.
When I said I haven't made anyone sick I really was speaking the truth. People have more contact with germs just moving about in public, opening doors, breathing, getting on planes, busses, restaurant visits, etc. Even if we, in this industry, just did a good wipe with soap and water we'd be cleaner than what our guests have come in contact with outside our doors. If we made everything germ-free we'd really suffer when we came in contact with germs.
I'm trying to convince my husband right now that the immunity he had to the water, milk, etc. in Khartoum is now long gone and he has to be as careful as I will have to be with water, etc. When we are away from the germs, bacteria we lose our immunities.

ginocat said:
Hello!
whattha.gif
tounge_smile.gif

Proud Texan said:
Ah, but I am.
=)
Kk.
omg_smile.gif

I think there is a difference between bleach and the wipes but in the long run here on this forum.
When I said I haven't made anyone sick I really was speaking the truth. People have more contact with germs just moving about in public, opening doors, breathing, getting on planes, busses, restaurant visits, etc. Even if we, in this industry, just did a good wipe with soap and water we'd be cleaner than what our guests have come in contact with outside our doors. If we made everything germ-free we'd really suffer when we came in contact with germs.
I'm trying to convince my husband right now that the immunity he had to the water, milk, etc. in Khartoum is now long gone and he has to be as careful as I will have to be with water, etc. When we are away from the germs, bacteria we lose our immunities.
ginocat said:
You didn't mention he was Sudanese? Our friend who just left has spent much time there and he was telling me of someone else we both know who has Malaria now. I had some awesome photos he took and I confiscated for my own use. I don't think I have them on this pc, but they were breathtaking. When are you going?

ginocat said:
Hello!
whattha.gif
tounge_smile.gif

Proud Texan said:
Ah, but I am.
=)
Kk.
omg_smile.gif

ginocat said:
You didn't mention he was Sudanese? Our friend who just left has spent much time there and he was telling me of someone else we both know who has Malaria now. I had some awesome photos he took and I confiscated for my own use. I don't think I have them on this pc, but they were breathtaking. When are you going?
We are going in January and I'm so excited about it. Very costly just getting drugs to go. So far spent $565 on immunizations. I still have to fill my malaria drug scrip and that will be over $300. My husband takes a different kind but it's still around $200. I do not plan on getting malaria!! We are going when the mossies are at a minimum. I am also taking a heavy duty pro-biotic to keep the tummy in shape. One good thing is that we will be staying with my in-laws. What was your friend doing there?

ginocat said:
Hello!
whattha.gif
tounge_smile.gif

Proud Texan said:
Ah, but I am.
=)
Kk.
omg_smile.gif

ginocat said:
We are going in January and I'm so excited about it. Very costly just getting drugs to go. So far spent $565 on immunizations. I still have to fill my malaria drug scrip and that will be over $300. My husband takes a different kind but it's still around $200. I do not plan on getting malaria!! We are going when the mossies are at a minimum. I am also taking a heavy duty pro-biotic to keep the tummy in shape. One good thing is that we will be staying with my in-laws. What was your friend doing there?
ginocat said:
Long story and most of it not for public viewing, but he was in the south helping out. We figure our other friend missed a day of his drugs thinking it was okay to do so.

ginocat said:
Hello!
whattha.gif
tounge_smile.gif

Proud Texan said:
Ah, but I am.
=)
Kk.
omg_smile.gif

ginocat said:
ginocat said:
Long story and most of it not for public viewing, but he was in the south helping out. We figure our other friend missed a day of his drugs thinking it was okay to do so.
Well, we won't be visiting the south. I gather he was there as an NGO? You can email me privately if you want. I'd be interested!

ginocat said:
Hello!
whattha.gif
tounge_smile.gif

Proud Texan said:
Ah, but I am.
=)
Kk.
omg_smile.gif

Proud Texan said:
What?

well, i too have to admit that i am a member of the germaphobe club. i cringe anytime i see someone walk out of a restroom & not wash their hands. i have seen adults with little children ,as well, walk right out the restroom door. i am one of those people who washes my hands & then uses the paper towel to open the door. i do not like seeing air dryers when i go in a restroom, because then i wonder how am i going to get out! lol! i usually end up using my sleeve, shirt, etc. i'm sure those have germs but not likely that they have the germs that are crawling on that door handle!
anyone ever seen the show "How clean is your house?" You never know what lurkes behind closed doors.....
I am with you on the door handles. Actually, as I approach the sink in a restroom I hear my Mother's voice - wash your hands! The other time is when the screen door slams - Don't slam that door! and I respond with It's MY house! Imagine having a conversation of sorts with your Mother 12 years after she died!

Back