Our Accelerated Schedule

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, a week into adjusting... still not settled, but getting there. Dh is doing marketing every morning for 2+ hours, and has already gotten our rack card distributed at the University's mail room and us listed in two more places on their website. YAY! And as of today I'm spending a couple of hours most afternoons chained to on the computer trying to get caught up on computer and website and stuff.
So it's very promising! The scary part is finding health insurance and getting financially through March/April... If we can make it to June, we'll be OK for this year.
=)
Kk..
Did DH get COBRA when he was let go? Yes, I know it's a fortune, but it's cheaper than having to pay for the costs of an accident or severe sickness without health care. (You know I know this from experience!)

Sorry to hear this YS, as someone who has been there, it WILL work out. Scary but it will be ok. Cobra insurance will kick in. It will cost more, but, insurance is something one can't live without. Best of luck. :eek:).
Always in a rush here...but you mentioned art ? I plan to sell some art/oil paintings of mine when I retire full time to the Inn. Will display them in the hot tub room...Can he do this ?..Innkeeper are survivors! Mary in Bridgewater
In the hot tub room? Won't that warp them? And what if guests splash them?

Well, a week into adjusting... still not settled, but getting there. Dh is doing marketing every morning for 2+ hours, and has already gotten our rack card distributed at the University's mail room and us listed in two more places on their website. YAY! And as of today I'm spending a couple of hours most afternoons chained to on the computer trying to get caught up on computer and website and stuff.
So it's very promising! The scary part is finding health insurance and getting financially through March/April... If we can make it to June, we'll be OK for this year.
=)
Kk..
Did DH get COBRA when he was let go? Yes, I know it's a fortune, but it's cheaper than having to pay for the costs of an accident or severe sickness without health care. (You know I know this from experience!)
And since he was laid off, he may be eligible for help with the COBRA payments. One of the stimulous programs created a COBRA subsidy benefit that, I think, is still in effect. Also extended the time for COBRA an additional 60 days.
If he's eligible for unemployment, he probably can get it.

Sorry to hear this YS, as someone who has been there, it WILL work out. Scary but it will be ok. Cobra insurance will kick in. It will cost more, but, insurance is something one can't live without. Best of luck. :eek:).
Always in a rush here...but you mentioned art ? I plan to sell some art/oil paintings of mine when I retire full time to the Inn. Will display them in the hot tub room...Can he do this ?..Innkeeper are survivors! Mary in Bridgewater
In the hot tub room? Won't that warp them? And what if guests splash them?
No ..its O.K. . tub is usually covered and there is A/C and central heat there. Wicker furniture is fine (in the room 5 yrs now). I can always rotate oils in and out of my home if needed..e=bay is a good place to sell paintings also. Mary in Bridgewater

He took the severance package since he's not intending to look for another job and figures he won't do unemployment. We are insured into March (not sure of the exact last day of coverage...gotta find out soon!) after which we can do Cobra, or buy a policy. It's pretty high on my to do list to find out what my options are and how much they cost. (Actually, dh was asking today how Gomez was doing, if he ever completely recovered.) I'm pretty sure there's a group policy available through our CVB, and through OHLA, which we belong to.
Guess I should start a new thread on it...
On a high note, he went over to the U. today to pick up the extra rack cards which weren't put into the mail slots. He was fishing some out of the recycling bin when he saw a student with our card in her hand on her cell phone to her mom. Score!
=)
Kk.

i hope all goes okay. it will certainly be a bonus to have his help, but hard when you planned on that income for a while. i have not had health insurance for years and it makes things difficult if/when something comes up.
that's great about the rack card. have to follow kathleen's advice on that one and always have some with all the time so you/he can put some out when an opportunity comes up. or to hand to people.

He took the severance package since he's not intending to look for another job and figures he won't do unemployment. We are insured into March (not sure of the exact last day of coverage...gotta find out soon!) after which we can do Cobra, or buy a policy. It's pretty high on my to do list to find out what my options are and how much they cost. (Actually, dh was asking today how Gomez was doing, if he ever completely recovered.) I'm pretty sure there's a group policy available through our CVB, and through OHLA, which we belong to.
On a high note, he went over to the U. today to pick up the extra rack cards which weren't put into the mail slots. He was fishing some out of the recycling bin when he saw a student with our card in her hand on her cell phone to her mom. Score!
=)
Kk..
YS, even with the severence, he should be able to get unemployment. And with that, he'd probably qualify for the subsidy with his COBRA payments.
Sure it means he'd have to look for another job. But who knows, he could surprise himself find the perfect job that way.

=)
Kk..
If he ever completely recovered from losing his job or the motorcycle accident with no insurance? Losing the job? No. Accident? Not the money, but he's healed up pretty well.

=)
Kk..
If he ever completely recovered from losing his job or the motorcycle accident with no insurance? Losing the job? No. Accident? Not the money, but he's healed up pretty well.
Morticia said:
I'm pretty sure he was asking about physical recovery, but I'll relay the entire. Thanks, and glad to hear he's heald up!
=)
Kk.

=)
Kk..
Very happy to hear he healed up pretty well. Sorry it is not 100%. Did he go back to riding? DH ended up with a steel shaft in his thigh bone and was told if it breaks again, it is gone (thankfully he messed up his polio leg - it was already useless meaning it had no movement on its own but supported him walking etc) so the night or the wreck was his last ride. I still miss my motorcycle.

"When God closes a door He opens a window". Maybe this will turn out to be a blessing in disguise. My husband was without work pretty much the first 6 months of last year and the B&B carried us through. It also brought us much closer. Not a bad thing. I wish you all the guests that you can handle.

Best of luck....not the best time to have all your eggs in the lodging business but with diligent marketing, hopefully you'll be OK. I agree with taking unemployment and continuing to look for other employment outside of the inn because of the number of rooms that you have. Ya never know. You still have young kids, too.
My dh's company just announced that they'll be laying off 5% of their workforce. I am hoping that he won't be one of them. The higher ups are saying that his area should be OK but.....

Latest posts

Back