PAII Innkeeper Magazine

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If any of you would like to submit a "Letter to the Editor" with regard to this article for publication in the next issue if Innkeeping Quarterly, please email me at [email protected] or Ingrid Thorson at [email protected].
We're looking for juicy commentary! :)
Jay

If any of you would like to submit a "Letter to the Editor" with regard to this article for publication in the next issue if Innkeeping Quarterly, please email me at [email protected] or Ingrid Thorson at [email protected].
We're looking for juicy commentary! :)
Jay.
You should have no trouble finding that from someone on here! Go get 'em!!! And you know who you are:)

I'm just now reading the article on the business traveler. Interesting that it says I should meet and greet the front desk, et al at the hotels from whom I may get referrals and let them know I will charge their overbooked guests THEIR rate. If only. I would LOVE to be able to charge what the hotels around here get! Even their business rates are above what I charge!
I do meet and greet by the way. I also hand deliver cookies and treats thruout the year. And still I hear the managers state at meetings that they send guests 10 miles away because they don't have time to figure out who has rooms in town. And I do call around in the morning to state we have openings for the evening/coming weekend.

Another article...I tried the 'price ending in "9"' concept for a year. Didn't notice any difference in number of room nights booked.

And I have a question...in re one of the points in the list of best practices is a statement that I can still get my rack rate even if I pay a 55% commission to GDS or a travel agent. How? If my rack rate is my rate and not an inflated 'hotel rate' then if I pay 55% commission I certainly don't win on that one. $70/night is not worth it for a small property that is not making it up on the other rooms going at $200/night to vacationers.
Now, if that guest returns later and books directly, that may be a win. But if that consistently uses GDS or an agent to book, I don't win. Converting the guest to calling or booking directly is certainly the goal, but it depends on who is making the reservations. An assistant at a large corporation is often required to use a particular agent or booking system.
Overall, I am loving this magazine. The articles are great!

My usb drive is not working, but I took a photo I wanted to share with ya'll of a PAII Christmas ornament I have from 1993! 1992!

Back