Pet peeve-bathroom version

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
OK, here's my pet peeve for B&B bathrooms (or any lodging bathroom)- if you are going to put down bath rugs (not bath mats for stepping out of the shower) then PLEASE, PLEASE wash and vacuum them between guests. There are a lot of things that peeve me in bathrooms, including sluggish drains and 'forgotten corners' but walking into a bathroom and seeing a dirty, matted rug is right up there.

We have bath rugs and I wash them after every guest if they are not really stained, I put them in the dryer to fluff them up. Wow, that is just something I would definantely look at. Since becoming Innkeepers and going to hotels we find the darndest things that we would never ever have noticed before.

Nothing should remain in a bathroom unwashed after a guest has checked out and that includes shower curtains. Vacuuming and fluffing is not acceptable.

Nothing should remain in a bathroom unwashed after a guest has checked out and that includes shower curtains. Vacuuming and fluffing is not acceptable..
ginocat said:
Nothing should remain in a bathroom unwashed after a guest has checked out and that includes shower curtains. Vacuuming and fluffing is not acceptable.
Wow you change your shower curtains everyday?

Nothing should remain in a bathroom unwashed after a guest has checked out and that includes shower curtains. Vacuuming and fluffing is not acceptable..
ginocat said:
I change my shower curtain at every check-out, not every day. I use cloth white ones and they go in the wash with the towels.

ginocat said:
I do not change the shower curtain but I do change the shoer curtain liner between guests. I have the plastic curtain with a cloth (nylon from the Family Dollar $5) shower curtain liner on the inside. The liner goes in the washer with the rest of the linens. I have one hanging and one on the shelf for each bathroom.

ginocat said:
I do not change the shower curtain but I do change the shoer curtain liner between guests. I have the plastic curtain with a cloth (nylon from the Family Dollar $5) shower curtain liner on the inside. The liner goes in the washer with the rest of the linens. I have one hanging and one on the shelf for each bathroom.
As I said in my original post - I change after every guest not every day. I don't bother with a shower curtain and liner. The cloth curtains are quite nice and certainly less hassle that having both.

ginocat said:
I change my shower curtain at every check-out, not every day. I use cloth white ones and they go in the wash with the towels.
ginocat said:
I am curious what brand your cloth shower curtains are? I use the cloth curtain and then the liner. The cloth curtains have to be dry cleaned. Your set up sounds a lot easier.

ginocat said:
ginocat said:
I am curious what brand your cloth shower curtains are? I use the cloth curtain and then the liner. The cloth curtains have to be dry cleaned. Your set up sounds a lot easier.
am curious what brand your cloth shower curtains are?
Do you have a Dollar Store? Family Dollar? Dollar General? or Wally-World near you? My liners are $5 each and hold up quite well.

I can't imagine changing the shower curtain between every guest. I wouldn't have the luxury of spending all that time dealing with the curtain rings (luckily I have all glass shower surrounds). Shower curtains do not come into contact with the guests' body, so I don't consider laundering them at every turnover a neccessity.
GH, what's your rationale for doing just the liners? Those things are intended to be waterproof, so washing them in the washing machine doesn't seem to accomplish much to me. It's not like they get very soiled at all and requires cleaning after every guest.

ginocat said:
ginocat said:
am curious what brand your cloth shower curtains are?
Do you have a Dollar Store? Family Dollar? Dollar General? or Wally-World near you? My liners are $5 each and hold up quite well.
I probably paid about $18 for them a few years ago. I don't know what brands I have - I have several and they last forever. I think they might be teflon coated?? Some have a wavey pattern, some have checks but they are all white.

I can't imagine changing the shower curtain between every guest. I wouldn't have the luxury of spending all that time dealing with the curtain rings (luckily I have all glass shower surrounds). Shower curtains do not come into contact with the guests' body, so I don't consider laundering them at every turnover a neccessity.
GH, what's your rationale for doing just the liners? Those things are intended to be waterproof, so washing them in the washing machine doesn't seem to accomplish much to me. It's not like they get very soiled at all and requires cleaning after every guest..
Have you ever noticed how many people actually blow their nose in the shower? Pee? I've seen all kinds of weird things on shower curtains. And then there are the hairs that can stick to them. Yuck!! Of course they are meant to be washed. I think they are coated with teflon and you can see that same coating on clothing now - I know Mark's Work Warehose has teflon coated pants. I don't own them but I've seen them. I have shower hooks that are oval shaped and have a large opening at the side. It's a breeze to take the curtains off and put back on again.

ginocat said:
ginocat said:
I don't know what brands. I have purchased them from Sears, The Bay (Canada) and I've seen them in Wal-Mart and other places. They are great. I've used them since I started in business 17 years ago and I've used them for my own personal use since I can't remember when. They are not plain like the liners and you can get them in just about every colour. I like white so I buy white. I've seen them in hotels as well.

GH, what's your rationale for doing just the liners? Those things are intended to be waterproof, so washing them in the washing machine doesn't seem to accomplish much to me. It's not like they get very soiled at all and requires cleaning after every guest..
TLE041 said:
GH, what's your rationale for doing just the liners? Those things are intended to be waterproof, so washing them in the washing machine doesn't seem to accomplish much to me. It's not like they get very soiled at all and requires cleaning after every guest.
On mine I do wash them every few weeks. I get the slimy red and grey stuff near the bottom of the curtain. It is from constant use and I have the liner that is made out of a thin woven plastic. When ever I wash them it always comes out looking like new. I know some people don't like those heavy plastic curtains because of all the toxic chemicals they put off so I don't use those. I don't have a Wal Mart here as that company is not allowed in my area! Thanks Ginocat for your information.

GH, what's your rationale for doing just the liners? Those things are intended to be waterproof,
Intent and actuality are often 2 very different things. I use the outer liner to keep the water in the shower (my bed is directly below the ensuite shower) and the cloth because I do not like the feel of plastic/vinyl on me so I do not want it on my guests. I use pretty hooks, not the circle thingys that clip so it is a matter of seconds to remove the curtains. I clean the shower and put the new liner on the hooks as I rehang the whole thing. It does not take a lot of time and I KNOW the shower is clean.

TLE041 said:
On mine I do wash them every few weeks. I get the slimy red and grey stuff near the bottom of the curtain. It is from constant use and I have the liner that is made out of a thin woven plastic. When ever I wash them it always comes out looking like new. I know some people don't like those heavy plastic curtains because of all the toxic chemicals they put off so I don't use those. I don't have a Wal Mart here as that company is not allowed in my area! Thanks Ginocat for your information.
sorry but if you are getting red and grey slime on your shower curtain you are not changing or cleaning them enough. If I stepped into a shower and saw that I would have a fit as a guest TURN OFF BIG TIME :-(

Back