"Photoshopping" B&B photos

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And yet, if we want to promote the AREA we should have some sort of gallery or slide show and/or links to things in the area. So the line for some is DO we promote JUST the B&B and not the area? By this I mean, just a few links to sights of interest only.
Or do we promote the area more...if it is a recreational type place, water, beaches, scenery... We all have to decide what we feel is important for our guests and to draw our guests to us. I like to advertise the beauty that surrounds us here - not in this town, but all around this town. I always like others to enjoy what I enjoy. I find some things interesting that some might not, like talk of the lobster shacks where you sit on a picnic table with bin at the end for the remnants, THAT to me is ten times more interesting than a fine dining meal that could be shattered by poor service. Outside. Scenery. Food.
thumbs_up.gif
Promoting the area helped prospective guests to find us on the web. To my mind, it's always a good idea to talk up the positives of where you decided to have a B&B. We still got the question, "What brought you HERE?" from a lot of folks.

And yet, if we want to promote the AREA we should have some sort of gallery or slide show and/or links to things in the area. So the line for some is DO we promote JUST the B&B and not the area? By this I mean, just a few links to sights of interest only.
Or do we promote the area more...if it is a recreational type place, water, beaches, scenery... We all have to decide what we feel is important for our guests and to draw our guests to us. I like to advertise the beauty that surrounds us here - not in this town, but all around this town. I always like others to enjoy what I enjoy. I find some things interesting that some might not, like talk of the lobster shacks where you sit on a picnic table with bin at the end for the remnants, THAT to me is ten times more interesting than a fine dining meal that could be shattered by poor service. Outside. Scenery. Food.
thumbs_up.gif
Promoting the area helped prospective guests to find us on the web. To my mind, it's always a good idea to talk up the positives of where you decided to have a B&B. We still got the question, "What brought you HERE?" from a lot of folks.
We still got the question, "What brought you HERE?" from a lot of folks.
As soon as guests find out DH is from the Chicago area he gets this question. He just says he was lucky enough to marry a West Virginia woman......

thumbs_up.gif
We still got the question, "What brought you HERE?" from a lot of folks.
As soon as guests find out DH is from the Chicago area he gets this question. He just says he was lucky enough to marry a West Virginia woman......
Usually folks asked us that after they heard where we had lived in the past. Our last stop before here is consistently rated as one of the top 10 places to live in the U.S.

I've seen some Photoshopped photos that were a marked improvement on what was really there. In one case, the inn was in the process of being painted and the photos showed the 'after' even tho they were taken before. Another took the power lines out of the photo to make the house look better. Totally ok with me as I wouldn't care about power lines (unless they were the ultra high voltage ones that hum).
Others just corrected lighting or took out a dead shrub or colored in a brown lawn.
(Or, removed an intrusive sign, thank you!)
How about when seashanty had that hair dryer on the wall that CT took out? That was a wonderful change and not much 'lost' in the guest's appreciation of the room.
I think showing a different breakfast at each place setting if you're not actually going to serve that is misleading. But, I think one of us on here had something like that, too. So maybe they could pipe in why..
Since DH is a photographer, trust me, I'm really not opposed to photoshopping. It has its place and the work done in a digital darkroom as is important as the work done in a real darkroom.
But when an inn that's not in range of the northern lights looks like it has them over its skies, well, to me, that's going too far.
Sure, correct errors. Clean up some messes, wires, whatever. But guests do have a right, I think, to know what they're getting and the photos should show them that. IMHO.
Innkeeper To Go said:
Since DH is a photographer, trust me, I'm really not opposed to photoshopping. It has its place and the work done in a digital darkroom as is important as the work done in a real darkroom.
But when an inn that's not in range of the northern lights looks like it has them over its skies, well, to me, that's going too far.
Sure, correct errors. Clean up some messes, wires, whatever. But guests do have a right, I think, to know what they're getting and the photos should show them that. IMHO.
Sure nothing wrong with removing a cable running to the house and such. :) Or if by chance there happens one in a million year meteor shower - then by all means post a pic and say what it is!
And if there is some building next door we don't need to show-we aren't paying to market the place next door. So I agree this should be minimalized. As long as we are not changing the aesthetics of the B&B itself. If it looks photoshopped, then that is where the line is drawn, imo. Too blue, too green, unless of course they want it to look watercolored.
Joey Bloggs said:
As long as we are not changing the aesthetics of the B&B itself. If it looks photoshopped, then that is where the line is drawn, imo. Too blue, too green, unless of course they want it to look watercolored.
I agree that the color shouldn't be so different as to be unrecognizable. But I've seen some lovely inn photos in sepia tone that I think really reflected the atmosphere of the place very well.
To me that's what it all comes down to. Does the photo realistically reflect what the guest is going to get? If it does, I'm all for it, however that's interpreted artistically.
My most important comments from arriving guests, "You Inn is what we saw on your websirt" we have stayed at other Hotels that look nothing like thier pictures. We must be true to the B&B/Inn spirit - "I am what I am' and tha's what I am" good or bad, they picked your location, never have to explain the false puictures good or bad.
Boomer said:
"You Inn is what we saw on your website"
We have also had that comment numerous times, a removal of the power lines here or there does not impact the overall appeal of the B&B. I have no issues of enhancing the area as long as it does not give a fraudulent flavour to the rendering.
BBBBoB

I've seen some Photoshopped photos that were a marked improvement on what was really there. In one case, the inn was in the process of being painted and the photos showed the 'after' even tho they were taken before. Another took the power lines out of the photo to make the house look better. Totally ok with me as I wouldn't care about power lines (unless they were the ultra high voltage ones that hum).
Others just corrected lighting or took out a dead shrub or colored in a brown lawn.
(Or, removed an intrusive sign, thank you!)
How about when seashanty had that hair dryer on the wall that CT took out? That was a wonderful change and not much 'lost' in the guest's appreciation of the room.
I think showing a different breakfast at each place setting if you're not actually going to serve that is misleading. But, I think one of us on here had something like that, too. So maybe they could pipe in why..
Innkeeper To Go said:
Sure nothing wrong with removing a cable running to the house and such. :) Or if by chance there happens one in a million year meteor shower - then by all means post a pic and say what it is!
And if there is some building next door we don't need to show-we aren't paying to market the place next door. So I agree this should be minimalized. As long as we are not changing the aesthetics of the B&B itself. If it looks photoshopped, then that is where the line is drawn, imo. Too blue, too green, unless of course they want it to look watercolored.
Joey Bloggs said:
As long as we are not changing the aesthetics of the B&B itself. If it looks photoshopped, then that is where the line is drawn, imo. Too blue, too green, unless of course they want it to look watercolored.
I agree that the color shouldn't be so different as to be unrecognizable. But I've seen some lovely inn photos in sepia tone that I think really reflected the atmosphere of the place very well.
To me that's what it all comes down to. Does the photo realistically reflect what the guest is going to get? If it does, I'm all for it, however that's interpreted artistically.
My most important comments from arriving guests, "You Inn is what we saw on your websirt" we have stayed at other Hotels that look nothing like thier pictures. We must be true to the B&B/Inn spirit - "I am what I am' and tha's what I am" good or bad, they picked your location, never have to explain the false puictures good or bad.
Boomer said:
We have also had that comment numerous times, a removal of the power lines here or there does not impact the overall appeal of the B&B. I have no issues of enhancing the area as long as it does not give a fraudulent flavour to the rendering.
BBBBoB
BBBBoB said:
Boomer said:
BBBBoB
If I were you it would be ALL ABOUT THE VIEW, it looks fantastic! No need to "enhance" that, aye. :)

Yup---people always asked us WHY WV?! We responded--look around, look up, and you will understand.
Our website does not lie in the least. We promoted what was around us with links we are a "outdoorsy" type area for outdoorsy, hiking, biking, climbing, rafting and so much more. One of the towns close to us was named "Coolest small town in US" a couple years ago. I did photoshop but only for clearity or lighting and all pictures of the surrounding area where original and taken by either family or myself, I also changed and added pictures to this. I truly think that people are very visual and they specially want to know what is around your B & B and what there is to do. Thats what I look for when I go to a new place.
After living in one of the most congested states in the US, we could not want for more peace, quiet and yes...the occasional WV traffic...an accident or someone pulled over. Loving it here and the hills and mountains are coming alive with color...ok enough already. Hey..the boyscouts picked us:)

I know of an inn that only has one photo of their place on their website. The rest are stock photos; food, views...all random stock photos.

Back