Picnic Lunch for Guests

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
75th Anniversary for the Park? Shenandoah seems to be behind a bit. Smoky Mts. already has their 75th website up and running.

Joey Bloggs said:
May I ask this question next:
If you had a picnic lunch for two and were sitting atop a vista overlooking God's country - what would you like to have in the lunch? A bottle of wine, beer, drinks excluded - what sort of romantic fare would you appreciate?
I don't want this to be "drive thru" but stylish - doesn't have to be more than something simple and appetizing in the fresh mountain air.
Or should it be just wine and cheese and fruit to keep it simple? Your thoughts appreciated.
Take a look at our local place where we pick up ours (we are only allowed to do breakfast). Her menu is wildly popular and she is also the gourmet food place for Monticello. What makes her sandwiches so popular is that the bread is freshly baked, and her meats are REAL not deli meats. For example, her turkey is actual sliced breast of turkey, not the deli kind. Her website is http://www.brixcafe.com/cafe.htm
The vegetarians love her grilled veggie sandwich too.
RIki.
LOVE BRIX!!!! Haven't had anything from them in a while...tooo long...;-( All her food is great!

I'm overlooking some of that great scenery you have on your blog and I'm going to want to eat? Philistine.
OK, I guess hiking up there made me hungry, so I'd want something simple so as not to get a stitch in my side hiking back down. Some fresh fruit (apples, pears, peaches), some nuts (maybe a mixed gorp kind of thing), cheese, bread, chocolate (wait, I think I said all of this!) and something refreshing to drink (which is why I said nothing sugary).
Wine would be nice but I do have to hike back down so one of those small bottles of wine, about 2 glasses in it. But for wine, there has to be glasses, I am past my Boone's Farm days (thank heavens).
Can you fit some sort of tablecloth in there? One of those picnic plaids? Blue & white, red & white. A 'buffalo check' I think is what they're called. Pretty lightweight, easy to fold and big enough to sit on..
Morticia said:
I'm overlooking some of that great scenery you have on your blog and I'm going to want to eat? Philistine.
OK, I guess hiking up there made me hungry, so I'd want something simple so as not to get a stitch in my side hiking back down. Some fresh fruit (apples, pears, peaches), some nuts (maybe a mixed gorp kind of thing), cheese, bread, chocolate (wait, I think I said all of this!) and something refreshing to drink (which is why I said nothing sugary).
Wine would be nice but I do have to hike back down so one of those small bottles of wine, about 2 glasses in it. But for wine, there has to be glasses, I am past my Boone's Farm days (thank heavens).
Can you fit some sort of tablecloth in there? One of those picnic plaids? Blue & white, red & white. A 'buffalo check' I think is what they're called. Pretty lightweight, easy to fold and big enough to sit on.
Ok so we have two scenarios - those out hiking for the day and those out romancing and taking in the scenery. So two diff menus would be required. Yes a tablecloth could easily be stowed in something and a nice touch.
Inn2-go what is pickled shrimp? I have never heard of it before.
All of what you suggest and some of the others is a definite BOOK WELL IN ADVANCE to prep and plan for. Which is fine if I get a set menu I could go with that.
Now we have a gourmet caterer on the corner and I could of course pack up whatever I buy from him - he has a supremo range from Moroccan to southern gulf fare, but it would not be cheap, but it is a good "box lunch" idea, like mentioned. He would also have some of the little containers for the sides too. No hurt in trying.
So I could make this a Sat only picnic package (most would be weekends I am guessing who would splurge on this little extra).
Good ideas everyone! Thanks...I will read on...
JB, Pickled Shrimp is divine and incredibly simple to make. It's a recipe every Southerner should have on hand, IMHO. Here's a recipe that's as close to mine as any I can find out there. Will keep for up to 2 weeks in the fridge - and every bit as good as when it first pickles.
Great idea on the gourmet caterer, especially if you can work out some sample menus in advance but work it out so you don't have to commit until you get a booking.
For the reusable picnic bags, I always use DiscountMugs.com - they are fast, have a great selection, do the work right in the old US of A, and at amazing prices. For 50 insulated, imprinted lunch bags, you can ALWAYS find something in the $2 range.

Secret spots are always well received by guests.
When I'm doing the picnic lunch specials (whether the super-duper luxury one or the gourmet sandwiches) I always have descriptions and driving directions to the secret spots ready to go.
Present them with a rolled up printout of the secret spots directions/descriptions along with the picnic and they will love you for life!

Can you fit some sort of tablecloth in there? One of those picnic plaids? Blue & white, red & white. A 'buffalo check' I think is what they're called. Pretty lightweight, easy to fold and big enough to sit on..
Morticia said:
Can you fit some sort of tablecloth in there? One of those picnic plaids? Blue & white, red & white. A 'buffalo check' I think is what they're called. Pretty lightweight, easy to fold and big enough to sit on.
Ok so we have two scenarios - those out hiking for the day and those out romancing and taking in the scenery. So two diff menus would be required. Yes a tablecloth could easily be stowed in something and a nice touch.
All of what you suggest and some of the others is a definite BOOK WELL IN ADVANCE to prep and plan for. Which is fine if I get a set menu I could go with that.
Now we have a gourmet caterer on the corner and I could of course pack up whatever I buy from him - he has a supremo range from Moroccan to southern gulf fare, but it would not be cheap, but it is a good "box lunch" idea, like mentioned. He would also have some of the little containers for the sides too. No hurt in trying.
So I could make this a Sat only picnic package (most would be weekends I am guessing who would splurge on this little extra).
JB, Pickled Shrimp is divine and incredibly simple to make. It's a recipe every Southerner should have on hand, IMHO. Here's a recipe that's as close to mine as any I can find out there. Will keep for up to 2 weeks in the fridge - and every bit as good as when it first pickles.
Great idea on the gourmet caterer, especially if you can work out some sample menus in advance but work it out so you don't have to commit until you get a booking.
For the reusable picnic bags, I always use DiscountMugs.com - they are fast, have a great selection, do the work right in the old US of A, and at amazing prices. For 50 insulated, imprinted lunch bags, you can ALWAYS find something in the $2 range.
I looked at that site. There is a $49 set-up fee. If I buy 24 bags I do not pay a set-up charge at the Sheltered Workshop and I help support the handicapped locally. Most important in this (feel good is nice but) is the fact that the work is top quality. A couple times there was a bag or two that did not meet their standards and they did not charge me for those. What did not meet their standards was usable even if it was not perfect.
Yes, I do pay more in the long run but I do not have to find storage space for a lot of bags and I do not have a lot of cash going out to sit on the shelf. If you are doing mega lunches the discountmug site makes sense. I have no idea what the price would be if I did more at a time because I do not have storage space or $$ to keep in inventory.

Morticia said:
I looked at that site. There is a $49 set-up fee. If I buy 24 bags I do not pay a set-up charge at the Sheltered Workshop and I help support the handicapped locally. Most important in this (feel good is nice but) is the fact that the work is top quality. A couple times there was a bag or two that did not meet their standards and they did not charge me for those. What did not meet their standards was usable even if it was not perfect.
Yes, I do pay more in the long run but I do not have to find storage space for a lot of bags and I do not have a lot of cash going out to sit on the shelf. If you are doing mega lunches the discountmug site makes sense. I have no idea what the price would be if I did more at a time because I do not have storage space or $$ to keep in inventory.
Sound like you have a great vendor already then and a feel-good vendor, too. Can't beat that.
I like DiscountMugs because they have such a great range of items at prices that make sense for small inns. And once you've paid that setup fee (for pens, sports bottles, or whatever) then they'll waive it on subsequent orders.
And yes, if you buy a huge huge order, the price goes down. But I've always found that 50 lunch bags gives me plenty of supply for a year or two, depending on how frequently I decide to give them away or do specials with them.
Either way, they're a really really cost-effective way to keep your name out there with guests who will undoubtedly have had a fabulous time.
Branding is something the big guys do well because they know it brings back business. Always keeping your name/logo out there to your treasured guests is just one way you can use the same tactics as the big guys - but keep it personal and special, too.

Morticia said:
Sound like you have a great vendor already then and a feel-good vendor, too. Can't beat that.
I like DiscountMugs because they have such a great range of items at prices that make sense for small inns. And once you've paid that setup fee (for pens, sports bottles, or whatever) then they'll waive it on subsequent orders.
And yes, if you buy a huge huge order, the price goes down. But I've always found that 50 lunch bags gives me plenty of supply for a year or two, depending on how frequently I decide to give them away or do specials with them.
Either way, they're a really really cost-effective way to keep your name out there with guests who will undoubtedly have had a fabulous time.
Branding is something the big guys do well because they know it brings back business. Always keeping your name/logo out there to your treasured guests is just one way you can use the same tactics as the big guys - but keep it personal and special, too.
Either way, they're realy really cost-effective way to keep your name out there with guests who will undoubtedly have had a fabulous time.
Exactly! That is why I give them away with the lunch - it is an unexpected "free" extra and when they use it for work lunches it goes places I can't. By having name, logo, and contact info on the bag - and big enough to read across the table - I turn guests into walking billboards.
Another "branding" thing that was money well-spent was the signs on the car. I have had many conversations in parking lots that enabled me to "give the commercial".

Morticia said:
Either way, they're realy really cost-effective way to keep your name out there with guests who will undoubtedly have had a fabulous time.
Exactly! That is why I give them away with the lunch - it is an unexpected "free" extra and when they use it for work lunches it goes places I can't. By having name, logo, and contact info on the bag - and big enough to read across the table - I turn guests into walking billboards.
Another "branding" thing that was money well-spent was the signs on the car. I have had many conversations in parking lots that enabled me to "give the commercial".
gillumhouse said:
Very smart indeed. I think innkeepers who get the name of their inn out there whenever they're driving around are super smart.
I had a friend in LA who got a free car just for having it completely covered with the logos of one of the big guys. Cheap advertising for them, free car for my friend.
And there's a reason they do that. It comes back as business.
As far as I'm concerned, as small inns we can compete by doing those same things on a smaller scale. Every trip into town becomes an opportunity for someone out there to see and remember your name. That's always good.

Morticia said:
gillumhouse said:
Very smart indeed. I think innkeepers who get the name of their inn out there whenever they're driving around are super smart.
I had a friend in LA who got a free car just for having it completely covered with the logos of one of the big guys. Cheap advertising for them, free car for my friend.
And there's a reason they do that. It comes back as business.
As far as I'm concerned, as small inns we can compete by doing those same things on a smaller scale. Every trip into town becomes an opportunity for someone out there to see and remember your name. That's always good.
It also told the lady who hit my car in the parking lot at the grocery who to have paged. It was a thing of beauty to come to the parking lot and find a damaged car with the lady resenting her insurance info!

With a yummy menu like that and those prices, it's destined for success!.
Innkeeper To Go said:
With a yummy menu like that and those prices, it's destined for success!
I emailed my mother in CA and she said $10.95? You can't charge more than $6.50!
This is the reason we cannot really ask non Innkeepers these such questions. I mean, I was asking her from her perspective as a guest. She said fried chicken and potato salad. I told her about the k.i.s.s. rule for this and she said you can go and buy it and repackage it. Again, k.i.s.s. needs to apply. Running around buying 4 pieces of chicken and potato salad and repacking is not my idea of simple.
I THANK EVERYONE FOR THEIR FEEDBACK. I got some great ideas and hints, thank you very much.

Innkeeper To Go said:
I emailed my mother in CA and she said $10.95? You can't charge more than $6.50!
This is the reason we cannot really ask non Innkeepers these such questions. I mean, I was asking her from her perspective as a guest. She said fried chicken and potato salad. I told her about the k.i.s.s. rule for this and she said you can go and buy it and repackage it. Again, k.i.s.s. needs to apply. Running around buying 4 pieces of chicken and potato salad and repacking is not my idea of simple.
I THANK EVERYONE FOR THEIR FEEDBACK. I got some great ideas and hints, thank you very much.
Your mother, who lives in practically THE most expensive state in the country said you couldn't charge more than $6.50? OK, she wouldn't PAY more than $6.50, but that's irrelevant. She's never stayed with you, right? Like my parents would never stay here, either. Too expensive. Especially after their $19/night rooms in Vegas. With the $6.95 all you can eat buffet with carving station.

Innkeeper To Go said:
Lord have mercy, your mother knows some real bargains out there in California!
Not that I haven't eaten my share of wonderful and cheap California burritos for lunch.
But for a complete packed lunch, ready to go? Well, she's one bargain-shopper, your mom!

Innkeeper To Go said:
Your mother, who lives in practically THE most expensive state in the country said you couldn't charge more than $6.50? OK, she wouldn't PAY more than $6.50, but that's irrelevant. She's never stayed with you, right? Like my parents would never stay here, either. Too expensive. Especially after their $19/night rooms in Vegas. With the $6.95 all you can eat buffet with carving station.
Morticia said:
Especially after their $19/night rooms in Vegas. With the $6.95 all you can eat buffet with carving station.
Yeah, maybe 15-20 years ago. Hotels and buffets haven't been that cheap in Vegas for a long time!

Innkeeper To Go said:
Morticia said:
Especially after their $19/night rooms in Vegas. With the $6.95 all you can eat buffet with carving station.
Yeah, maybe 15-20 years ago. Hotels and buffets haven't been that cheap in Vegas for a long time!
Little Blue said:
Morticia said:
My parents JUST came home. Those prices were for 2 weeks ago.

Sounds delicious!
And always a smart move to give some ongoing business to the locals. Good karma that will come back to you, over and over again!

I have guests dining down there right now for lunch. It is a groovy european coffee house with art gallery and local music in the evenings (Thur and Fri). It does not belong in THIS town. The restaurant around the corner that has dusty wreaths on the walls behidn the formica booths and fries everything including the iced tea is choc-a-block right now and costs the same. It makes absolutely no sense at all.
This caterer buys local, supports local, all the staff donate their tips to a local charity each month (this is not common knowledge). Glad it is all coming together finally. This weekend is a big Christmas event where they block off the downtown the whole town is all dolled up with greenery and red ribbons and this place will have a man carving ice sculptures and open for hot drinks and desserts.

I have guests dining down there right now for lunch. It is a groovy european coffee house with art gallery and local music in the evenings (Thur and Fri). It does not belong in THIS town. The restaurant around the corner that has dusty wreaths on the walls behidn the formica booths and fries everything including the iced tea is choc-a-block right now and costs the same. It makes absolutely no sense at all.
This caterer buys local, supports local, all the staff donate their tips to a local charity each month (this is not common knowledge). Glad it is all coming together finally. This weekend is a big Christmas event where they block off the downtown the whole town is all dolled up with greenery and red ribbons and this place will have a man carving ice sculptures and open for hot drinks and desserts..
Sounds like just the local business to support.
And definitely a smart move to hitch your special to the town's rising star!

Back