Policies - in place for a reason

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks to those that gave a wide shoulder. YOU are the ones that can relate to my vent.
While I did not list this guest as a pita, if the shoe fits....
There were several issues other than what was mentioned here so my mentions about policies are just that when the door is opened it leaves the opportunity for more issues.
Once you let someone slide on a policy it sends them a message that you do not take your policies seriously, so neither do they!
I have heard from this person 3 times since they departed this morning if that gives anyone any more reason to know why I vented.
I do not come here to vent about guests very often. Today I had had enough.
I do have other wonderful and happy guests here. I am blessed to have them and am blessed to have those with wide shoulders here! Tomorrow will be a better day..
VVV. A very valid vent! Personally would not let the second request to drop days go. We just had folks arrive wanting to shorten their stay by a day because someone at home was suddenly sick. We stuck to our policies and said no. They ended up upgrading and paying for our suite for the last two days. Not PITAs.
Given that you've heard 3 times more, this is unequivocally a PITA. So yes, stay with your policies and do not relent for early departures.

look at it this way. You didn't want them there any longer anyway. pita!.
I am not so fond of the constant referral to guests as PITA here, even if a private forum.
This is about business, and service and reputation. Guests have their own agenda. They are traveling or on vacation. Plans change. Unexpected issues crop up.
If a guest is disrespectful, I agree they can be a PITA. But the competition is getting more flexible and more ferocious by the month. Check in/out times are becoming more flexible. Choices are becoming more flexible.
If someone costs you money, you have a deposit and CC policies to protect your financial investment. Deciding to accept a reschedule is negotiated between the parties, and the innkeeper applies their policies. But I do not get the pouty lip mentality some innkeepers seem to have.
Motels, resorts, hotels and other lodgings are not so "fragile". To compete and survive, I think taking out the emotion and acting like a business is a little more appropriate than getting miffed because someone acts like a difficult customer.
Just because someone wants to rant about it, doesn't mean that they don't have empathy. Nothing wrong with letting off a little steam. Just because I do or don't agree with something doesn't mean that sometimes don't regret it or want to kick myself in the butt for it. Remember that most of us have been in this business quite a while and have a lot of experience. But even we make mistakes and errors in judgement.
I don't take deposits, that's my choice. And last week it bit me in the a$$, I lost 4 night because I forgot to run an auth on the money a week earlier (it was an usual booking.) When I could have cancelled the reservation and still had a better chance of reselling it. It's part of business.
But most of us already know, from years of experience, that a very small minority of the clients are the cause of the majority of the problems. Pareto's Principal in reverse to the extreme... 1% of the clients cause about 95% of the problems.
I have a lot of empathy for innkeepers in other places. Some of the trends are particularly horrible, like the ads that tell people the best deals are at the last minute... they aren't... what you get is a great deal on a room that no one else waned. I don't see HWire or PLine advertising the rooms that way. Imagine building your business and not knowing if you will have bodies in the beds for the weekend until Thursday night or Friday morning... so can you schedule housekeeping that way? What about the housekeepers, do they know if they will have work tomorrow to feed their children?
This is a forum for innkeepers. We need to empathize with other innkeepers who want to let off a little steam. So empathize instead of judge... not saying that they were right or wrong to let the person off the hook... I'm just holding a sympathetic ear. I too have bent for clients who wanted to check out early, even though it costs me money. I've been upset with myself for bending, when I shouldn't, but also realize that not bending can cost me as well. Still want the empathy, even if I'm not sure that I did or didn't do the right thing.
Jon Sable said:
This is a forum for innkeepers. We need to empathize with other innkeepers who want to let off a little steam. So empathize instead of judge... not saying that they were right or wrong to let the person off the hook... I'm just holding a sympathetic ear. I too have bent for clients who wanted to check out early, even though it costs me money. I've been upset with myself for bending, when I shouldn't, but also realize that not bending can cost me as well. Still want the empathy, even if I'm not sure that I did or didn't do the right thing.
precisely!
We are here to vent, laugh, dole out information to each other, sympathize and empathize.
This job can be frustrating at times. Of course we enjoy our profession, even when we vent.
Undersea - just wait until you finally are an innkeeper for nightly guests, then we'll talk again.
Copperhead, I have made that error a couple of times too many. I like doing business with a handshake rather than hitting people over the head with policies and money up front, etc. But I have learned, only recently, that fewer and fewer guests are thinking along those same lines. So, 2 weeks ago I tightened my policies to the point where I have a headache.
Every time I have done something in the way of giving free upgrades, bent the cancellation policy, or let someone's tiny, little dog stay free, or have given them a surprise in their room, it comes back to haunt me. Maybe not every time. I leave a bottle of sparkling wine for birthday guests in the fridge of a cottage and champagne glasses in the cupboard, 4 out of times, my glasses are gone after the guest leaves. Guess what, the next guest will have to drink their bubbly out of bathroom cups. Sorry.
I hope you enjoy your guests today :)
I buy my glasses all at the dollar store. So.. let them take them.
Otherwise, go for http://www.amazon.com/25-Plastic-Champagne-Wedding-Toasting/dp/B003OKTW16/ and you don't even have to wash them :)

I am not so fond of the constant referral to guests as PITA here, even if a private forum.
This is about business, and service and reputation. Guests have their own agenda. They are traveling or on vacation. Plans change. Unexpected issues crop up.
If a guest is disrespectful, I agree they can be a PITA. But the competition is getting more flexible and more ferocious by the month. Check in/out times are becoming more flexible. Choices are becoming more flexible.
If someone costs you money, you have a deposit and CC policies to protect your financial investment. Deciding to accept a reschedule is negotiated between the parties, and the innkeeper applies their policies. But I do not get the pouty lip mentality some innkeepers seem to have.
Motels, resorts, hotels and other lodgings are not so "fragile". To compete and survive, I think taking out the emotion and acting like a business is a little more appropriate than getting miffed because someone acts like a difficult customer.
no one else will come right out and say this.... but i will... how about we just call you a pita... because there are times when you are
devil_smile.gif
sorry today i have had enough...all around
Sorry, but I was raised to truly respect people. As in walking a mile in another person's shoes. As in trying to understand the burdens, problems and difficulties in that person standing before them. As in the saying "I cursed the fact I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet." As in the many words innkeepers apply to themselves as being in the service industry, until rubbed the wrong way.
It took a long time for this nation, founded on the constitution and bill of rights, to actually apply those rights to African Americans, females, the disabled, Native Americans, the poor or even non-landholding males, and many others who were considered lower than those in control. And no, I am not saying this to pontificate. Humanity is an amazing thing, warts and all.
It goes up in smoke, when flaming others for being inconvenienced.
So, you respect people, but do they respect you? People are going to walk all over you. They will lie, to your face, to get out of their agreed upon terms (contract) and if you stand your ground, you will lose when they post it for the world to see. They will lie publicly. I know, because I have at least 3 reviews that are full of outright lies. And if you give in, you will always be giving in and your rules and policies will fly out the door.
You are talking to people who have all seen this. Who have all lived this.
Others are right - people will lie to your face to get out of their obligation and actually steal. This past month I've had 3 of my custom mugs stolen by guests, people I opened my home to and was very hospitable to, but they still chose to steal from me. So yes there are guests who don't give a rats ass about their innkeepers and sometimes when you get one of those you just have to be human and vent. If you think innkeepers are unique in venting, go to the break room of any business, the back of the house in a restaurant or the customer service desk at a big corporation and you'll hear people venting all the time about guests who just can't be pleased or will do anything to get what they want. Are they bad, no they're just releasing steam to others who can RELATE so they don't go postal one day.
So please if you're not a practicing innkeeper, perhaps you can read someone's rant, shake your head and keep your judgmental comments to yourself.

I really appreciate the rants. It gives me a chance to compare to my experiences and try to decide what I'd do when confronted with the same kind of situation. Dear Unders, take it or leave it, try to find value in the situation or comments if you can, but please don't pontificate. It grows old.

Just because someone wants to rant about it, doesn't mean that they don't have empathy. Nothing wrong with letting off a little steam. Just because I do or don't agree with something doesn't mean that sometimes don't regret it or want to kick myself in the butt for it. Remember that most of us have been in this business quite a while and have a lot of experience. But even we make mistakes and errors in judgement.
I don't take deposits, that's my choice. And last week it bit me in the a$$, I lost 4 night because I forgot to run an auth on the money a week earlier (it was an usual booking.) When I could have cancelled the reservation and still had a better chance of reselling it. It's part of business.
But most of us already know, from years of experience, that a very small minority of the clients are the cause of the majority of the problems. Pareto's Principal in reverse to the extreme... 1% of the clients cause about 95% of the problems.
I have a lot of empathy for innkeepers in other places. Some of the trends are particularly horrible, like the ads that tell people the best deals are at the last minute... they aren't... what you get is a great deal on a room that no one else waned. I don't see HWire or PLine advertising the rooms that way. Imagine building your business and not knowing if you will have bodies in the beds for the weekend until Thursday night or Friday morning... so can you schedule housekeeping that way? What about the housekeepers, do they know if they will have work tomorrow to feed their children?
Jon Sable said:
precisely!
We are here to vent, laugh, dole out information to each other, sympathize and empathize.
This job can be frustrating at times. Of course we enjoy our profession, even when we vent.
Undersea - just wait until you finally are an innkeeper for nightly guests, then we'll talk again.
Copperhead, I have made that error a couple of times too many. I like doing business with a handshake rather than hitting people over the head with policies and money up front, etc. But I have learned, only recently, that fewer and fewer guests are thinking along those same lines. So, 2 weeks ago I tightened my policies to the point where I have a headache.
Every time I have done something in the way of giving free upgrades, bent the cancellation policy, or let someone's tiny, little dog stay free, or have given them a surprise in their room, it comes back to haunt me. Maybe not every time. I leave a bottle of sparkling wine for birthday guests in the fridge of a cottage and champagne glasses in the cupboard, 4 out of times, my glasses are gone after the guest leaves. Guess what, the next guest will have to drink their bubbly out of bathroom cups. Sorry.
Otherwise, go for http://www.amazon.com/25-Plastic-Champagne-Wedding-Toasting/dp/B003OKTW16/ and you don't even have to wash them :)
Jon Sable said:
Yes, well. I am stupid. I put my own, very beautiful lead crystal flutes. I am an idiot. Oh, errrr....I already said that

Thanks to those that gave a wide shoulder. YOU are the ones that can relate to my vent.
While I did not list this guest as a pita, if the shoe fits....
There were several issues other than what was mentioned here so my mentions about policies are just that when the door is opened it leaves the opportunity for more issues.
Once you let someone slide on a policy it sends them a message that you do not take your policies seriously, so neither do they!
I have heard from this person 3 times since they departed this morning if that gives anyone any more reason to know why I vented.
I do not come here to vent about guests very often. Today I had had enough.
I do have other wonderful and happy guests here. I am blessed to have them and am blessed to have those with wide shoulders here! Tomorrow will be a better day..
It has been a great reminder. Glad it's over. Could have easily been me.
It was like another person temporarily took over my brain, spilled that we had a single night, and left me to clean up the mess.

Jon Sable said:
precisely!
Jon Sable said:
Yes, well. I am stupid. I put my own, very beautiful lead crystal flutes. I am an idiot. Oh, errrr....I already said that
We all make mistakes, no use beating yourself up about it. Get Christian Grey to do it for you :)

Jon Sable said:
precisely!
Jon Sable said:
Iris said:
Jon Sable said:
I also put my lead crystal wedding flutes out! May be time to rethink.

key phrase: "other wonderful guests here right now."
After 6 years personally walking in the shoes nearly every day, serving every single breakfast, greeting most of the front desk, I'd say that I have been pleasantly surprised by how nice nearly everybody has been. OK, some more demanding ("royalty"), a few actually try to cheat and steal, but all of that is insignificant compared with "other wonderful guests here right now."
It is important to have good reflexes when something turns bad, but otherwise treat people evenhandedly, with a presumption of good will. This is why I am a little disturbed by the command-and-control comments from an aspiring who posts frequently: I have found most folk respond in the same spirit with which they are welcomed.

no one else will come right out and say this.... but i will... how about we just call you a pita... because there are times when you are
devil_smile.gif
Sorry, but I was raised to truly respect people. As in walking a mile in another person's shoes. As in trying to understand the burdens, problems and difficulties in that person standing before them. As in the saying "I cursed the fact I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet." As in the many words innkeepers apply to themselves as being in the service industry, until rubbed the wrong way.
It took a long time for this nation, founded on the constitution and bill of rights, to actually apply those rights to African Americans, females, the disabled, Native Americans, the poor or even non-landholding males, and many others who were considered lower than those in control. And no, I am not saying this to pontificate. Humanity is an amazing thing, warts and all.
So, you respect people, but do they respect you? People are going to walk all over you. They will lie, to your face, to get out of their agreed upon terms (contract) and if you stand your ground, you will lose when they post it for the world to see. They will lie publicly. I know, because I have at least 3 reviews that are full of outright lies. And if you give in, you will always be giving in and your rules and policies will fly out the door.
Others are right - people will lie to your face to get out of their obligation and actually steal. This past month I've had 3 of my custom mugs stolen by guests, people I opened my home to and was very hospitable to, but they still chose to steal from me. So yes there are guests who don't give a rats ass about their innkeepers and sometimes when you get one of those you just have to be human and vent. If you think innkeepers are unique in venting, go to the break room of any business, the back of the house in a restaurant or the customer service desk at a big corporation and you'll hear people venting all the time about guests who just can't be pleased or will do anything to get what they want. Are they bad, no they're just releasing steam to others who can RELATE so they don't go postal one day.
So please if you're not a practicing innkeeper, perhaps you can read someone's rant, shake your head and keep your judgmental comments to yourself.
MtnKeeper said:
This past month I've had 3 of my custom mugs stolen by guests, people I opened my home to and was very hospitable to, but they still chose to steal from me.
We've had this about a dozen times in 9 years…usually after a weekend full of what we thought we happy guests. I can't wrap my head around this one…you had a great time and wanted a souvenir so you thought you'd steal from me? Or you had a bad time or thought it was a poor value and so want a reminder? Does not compute!

After 6 years personally walking in the shoes nearly every day, serving every single breakfast, greeting most of the front desk, I'd say that I have been pleasantly surprised by how nice nearly everybody has been. OK, some more demanding ("royalty"), a few actually try to cheat and steal, but all of that is insignificant compared with "other wonderful guests here right now."
It is important to have good reflexes when something turns bad, but otherwise treat people evenhandedly, with a presumption of good will. This is why I am a little disturbed by the command-and-control comments from an aspiring who posts frequently: I have found most folk respond in the same spirit with which they are welcomed..
Royalty sounds like a good term. Gomez made the comment the other day that one couple treated us like servants. Exactly how it felt.

devil_smile.gif
MtnKeeper said:
This past month I've had 3 of my custom mugs stolen by guests, people I opened my home to and was very hospitable to, but they still chose to steal from me.
We've had this about a dozen times in 9 years…usually after a weekend full of what we thought we happy guests. I can't wrap my head around this one…you had a great time and wanted a souvenir so you thought you'd steal from me? Or you had a bad time or thought it was a poor value and so want a reminder? Does not compute!
Donald Draper said:
MtnKeeper said:
Because we don't buy the high priced mugs I look at the abduction as advertising. I'd be upset if I paid $10-15 for each mug. What we find stranger is the guest who asks the price and then takes one anyway. Maybe they think because the price is low it's no big deal to take one.

It is important to have good reflexes when something turns bad, but otherwise treat people evenhandedly, with a presumption of good will. This is why I am a little disturbed by the command-and-control comments from an aspiring who posts frequently: I have found most folk respond in the same spirit with which they are welcomed..
Very true.
We have a couple here right now for whom I cannot do anything right. I don't know why. My husband has an excellent rapport with both of them, so I completely stepped out of the way. They seem very happy and content, who am I to ruin their time away from home, by being seen by them, LOL

I have a different take on it. I am not really in agreement to be inflexible when things are slow.
I also disagree that once you bent your policy, you could not refuse that next request.
During slow times, you can reschedule people if calendar open. But if they cancel, they still owe for the night. Since the CCs usually allow you to charge for one night, that is what I would likely do for myself. People made a booking. If they cancel, they still owe for preventing you from getting another guest for that night.
Try that with the airlines. They work with the customer, but not if it costs them money. That is why there are rebooking and cancellation fees..
It's really not about inflexibility at all. It's about consistency. When you bend policies, procedures, and terms too often, all of a sudden that can become the expectation - especially if this shows up in your reviews. That's a whole other bucket of worms. Guests are now demanding that you offer the same allowances that they've read about in your reviews.
The innkeepers that I've met on this forum are some of the most empathetic and understanding folks I've ever encountered. There certainly needs to be a safe place where they can blow off a little steam, get over it, and then go back to offering a superb B&B experience.

I have a different take on it. I am not really in agreement to be inflexible when things are slow.
I also disagree that once you bent your policy, you could not refuse that next request.
During slow times, you can reschedule people if calendar open. But if they cancel, they still owe for the night. Since the CCs usually allow you to charge for one night, that is what I would likely do for myself. People made a booking. If they cancel, they still owe for preventing you from getting another guest for that night.
Try that with the airlines. They work with the customer, but not if it costs them money. That is why there are rebooking and cancellation fees..
It's really not about inflexibility at all. It's about consistency. When you bend policies, procedures, and terms too often, all of a sudden that can become the expectation - especially if this shows up in your reviews. That's a whole other bucket of worms. Guests are now demanding that you offer the same allowances that they've read about in your reviews.
The innkeepers that I've met on this forum are some of the most empathetic and understanding folks I've ever encountered. There certainly needs to be a safe place where they can blow off a little steam, get over it, and then go back to offering a superb B&B experience.
Samster said:
Amen! And another reason to come here. . . we understand!

Guests demanding allowances seems to go back to policies. I have rental properties and another business. I do not let customers tell me what I have to do. "There were extenuating circumstances OR conditions of which you were not aware. Now, would you like to complete your booking?"
On the other hand, we need to deal with potential negative reviews.
That is why once I start, I intend to have the phone answer all calls, to screen out robocalls, charity seekers, people who want a lengthy dialogue or many questions before deciding to go eleswhere, demanding guests, and to encourage people to book online. When I listen, unreasonable messages/emails will just be deleted. Too much energy and time wasted, based on reading much feedback on this forum by other innkeepers.

Guests demanding allowances seems to go back to policies. I have rental properties and another business. I do not let customers tell me what I have to do. "There were extenuating circumstances OR conditions of which you were not aware. Now, would you like to complete your booking?"
That is why once I start, I intend to have the phone answer all calls, to screen out robocalls, charity seekers, people who want a lengthy dialogue or many questions before deciding to go eleswhere, demanding guests, and to encourage people to book online. When I listen, unreasonable messages/emails will just be deleted. Too much energy and time wasted, based on reading much feedback on this forum by other innkeepers.
My average completed reservation call is 10 minutes. My average uncompleted reservation call is 30 seconds.
I don't particularly need to talk to guests to see if they are a good fit, but some of them want a little more info after they've made the reservation.
The exception to this was the daffy family that called 30 times and continued to call after deciding to stay elsewhere. It's amusing now.
Answering the phone and being the voice of the business is part of the job. Imagine wanting to buy a product but you need a simple question answered before completing the purchase and all you get is a voice message saying buy online or leave a message and we'll call you back. The better thing would be a text. Text your question to...
Not that I would text, I'd move on to the place that pleasantly answered the phone.

My average completed reservation call is 10 minutes. My average uncompleted reservation call is 30 seconds.
I don't particularly need to talk to guests to see if they are a good fit, but some of them want a little more info after they've made the reservation.
The exception to this was the daffy family that called 30 times and continued to call after deciding to stay elsewhere. It's amusing now.
Answering the phone and being the voice of the business is part of the job. Imagine wanting to buy a product but you need a simple question answered before completing the purchase and all you get is a voice message saying buy online or leave a message and we'll call you back. The better thing would be a text. Text your question to...
Not that I would text, I'd move on to the place that pleasantly answered the phone.
Yes, and we've been told that many many many times: We called ABC Inn and they had an answering machine, we want a B&B that will personally answer the phone.
The Smurfs get the resi, ABC Inn doesn't even get a message.

Back