Policies - in place for a reason

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suspect I have fewer than 50% book online. Since this is a non-tourist place, and I'm dealing with non-tourists for the most part, I get questions like "how far are you from Downtown? or from the university? or, since I grew up here, "What high school did you go to?"
The older folks almost never book online. I had a call from an off the wall "tourist" yesterday who says he's always wanted to visit our town because he lives in Chicago (4 hours away) and has never been here... but doesn't want breakfast, wants the cheapest room, wants a discount for no breakfast, wants to see all the rooms when they arrive, and maybe upgrade then, all of his conversation at a volume level of 11+. I told him I thought he'd really love our Hampton here. He called back, decided they'd stay 2 nights, then started telling me what his wife would and wouldn't eat for breakfast (darn).
I am going to let them come, hoping I'll find them amusing instead of annoying....
devil_smile.gif
I've used the 'breakfast is complimentary' line on the rare occasion when someone wants a no-breakfast discount.
I also have to thank another inmate for the "our discounts are built into our prices" line. Replied with it to an inquiry last week. Stopped that train on its tracks.
lady wanted 'last minute discount'. Suggested another lodging nearby. The room filled a couple days later. August seems to be happening very early this year.
I love this forum
was discussing this with a neighbour who does sell room online or BB online - says she is sick to death of arguing with people that no breakfast is not included (they have booked entirely on price and not read anything) also its why I don't do single occupancy as often becomes 2.
I am also not dealing with half a dozen people who didn't book breakfast and then turn up and want it as soon as they smell the bacon and coffee - its that simple.
That's a case where she needs to include breakfast and put up her price. She'll get less argument. Maybe include a continental breakfast instead of the full English... charge for the full English, but give a "buffet" selection of Continental.
I also no longer offer a single rate. It's not really like I save much. I lose the income I would have made from the other person.
no she offers it as an option ie book room only or B&B but they don't read so when they come to check in she says "And would you like to book breakfast as you have only booked room only" and then leads into an argument.
This is our first year offering a "Guest House" rate (no breakfast and limited housekeeping) for our cottage. So far, so good. But we speak to each guest and stress the "you arrange for your own breakfast" reservation. The reservation confirmation has Guest House all over it, along with the "no breakfast" notation. They can't miss it.
We just had weekly guests, first timers, check out. They were perfect guests, tidy, friendly, and they barely left the cottage for more than 2 hours a day.Because of bad weather with a long drive to the mid-west ahead of them, they stayed an extra, eighth night, requesting breakfast on their departing morning, which we happily provided, They paid the full B+B rate for the cottage for their extra morning, which is $25 more than the guest house rate.
I am liking this Guest House idea a lot! Yup, I think we can go another 5 years by limiting the B+B in the house to the summer-season when the cottage guests have a choice of either a B+B rate or a guest house rate.
Silverspoon said:
I am liking this Guest House idea a lot! Yup, I think we can go another 5 years by limiting the B+B in the house to the summer-season when the cottage guests have a choice of either a B+B rate or a guest house rate.
Sounds great!

I suspect I have fewer than 50% book online. Since this is a non-tourist place, and I'm dealing with non-tourists for the most part, I get questions like "how far are you from Downtown? or from the university? or, since I grew up here, "What high school did you go to?"
The older folks almost never book online. I had a call from an off the wall "tourist" yesterday who says he's always wanted to visit our town because he lives in Chicago (4 hours away) and has never been here... but doesn't want breakfast, wants the cheapest room, wants a discount for no breakfast, wants to see all the rooms when they arrive, and maybe upgrade then, all of his conversation at a volume level of 11+. I told him I thought he'd really love our Hampton here. He called back, decided they'd stay 2 nights, then started telling me what his wife would and wouldn't eat for breakfast (darn).
I am going to let them come, hoping I'll find them amusing instead of annoying....
devil_smile.gif
I've used the 'breakfast is complimentary' line on the rare occasion when someone wants a no-breakfast discount.
I also have to thank another inmate for the "our discounts are built into our prices" line. Replied with it to an inquiry last week. Stopped that train on its tracks.
lady wanted 'last minute discount'. Suggested another lodging nearby. The room filled a couple days later. August seems to be happening very early this year.
I love this forum
was discussing this with a neighbour who does sell room online or BB online - says she is sick to death of arguing with people that no breakfast is not included (they have booked entirely on price and not read anything) also its why I don't do single occupancy as often becomes 2.
I am also not dealing with half a dozen people who didn't book breakfast and then turn up and want it as soon as they smell the bacon and coffee - its that simple.
That's a case where she needs to include breakfast and put up her price. She'll get less argument. Maybe include a continental breakfast instead of the full English... charge for the full English, but give a "buffet" selection of Continental.
I also no longer offer a single rate. It's not really like I save much. I lose the income I would have made from the other person.
no she offers it as an option ie book room only or B&B but they don't read so when they come to check in she says "And would you like to book breakfast as you have only booked room only" and then leads into an argument.
This is our first year offering a "Guest House" rate (no breakfast and limited housekeeping) for our cottage. So far, so good. But we speak to each guest and stress the "you arrange for your own breakfast" reservation. The reservation confirmation has Guest House all over it, along with the "no breakfast" notation. They can't miss it.
We just had weekly guests, first timers, check out. They were perfect guests, tidy, friendly, and they barely left the cottage for more than 2 hours a day.Because of bad weather with a long drive to the mid-west ahead of them, they stayed an extra, eighth night, requesting breakfast on their departing morning, which we happily provided, They paid the full B+B rate for the cottage for their extra morning, which is $25 more than the guest house rate.
Love that idea!

devil_smile.gif
Innkeep said:
I had a call from an off the wall "tourist" yesterday who says he's always wanted to visit our town because he lives in Chicago (4 hours away) and has never been here... but doesn't want breakfast, wants the cheapest room, wants a discount for no breakfast, wants to see all the rooms when they arrive, and maybe upgrade then, all of his conversation at a volume level of 11+. I told him I thought he'd really love our Hampton here. He called back, decided they'd stay 2 nights, then started telling me what his wife would and wouldn't eat for breakfast (darn).
devil_smile.gif
Actually they were OK. Instead of arrogant and demanding, they were just socially awkward. He reminded me of Tom Hanks in the movie "Big". I sent them to places they could go "for free", and to a great ice cream place with a statue of Garfield the cat in the parking lot. They told me they had a very good time. No problems. I was glad I could help them have a good time.

devil_smile.gif
Innkeep said:
I had a call from an off the wall "tourist" yesterday who says he's always wanted to visit our town because he lives in Chicago (4 hours away) and has never been here... but doesn't want breakfast, wants the cheapest room, wants a discount for no breakfast, wants to see all the rooms when they arrive, and maybe upgrade then, all of his conversation at a volume level of 11+. I told him I thought he'd really love our Hampton here. He called back, decided they'd stay 2 nights, then started telling me what his wife would and wouldn't eat for breakfast (darn).
devil_smile.gif
Actually they were OK. Instead of arrogant and demanding, they were just socially awkward. He reminded me of Tom Hanks in the movie "Big". I sent them to places they could go "for free", and to a great ice cream place with a statue of Garfield the cat in the parking lot. They told me they had a very good time. No problems. I was glad I could help them have a good time.
Glad you could help them have a good time! Next time they won't be so awkward and enjoy your spot better!

devil_smile.gif
Innkeep said:
devil_smile.gif
They hd a fret and caring innkeeper to help them. How could they NOT have a good time.

Undersea, I am supporting a fellow innkeeper who had a difficult time with a guest, who labeled her post a 'rant.' Not being "pouty lipped."
sheesh..
Agree, Beachie. Also it is EASY to come up with answers to things when one has NEVER been in this particular trench (I consider each trench to be different - never been a landlord although HAVE been a tenant - so would never comment) to people who HAVE been doing it for many years. One point to remember is that everyone's pain threshold is different and those of us who have been doing this for years have developed a very high threshold of pain. When it reaches PITA level it is no longer pain, it is PAIN either emotional or in the wallet, it is PAIN..
Our tenth year as landlords. Our eighth as B&B owners. Few similarities between the two other than maintenance. We've learned much over the years in both businesses. Where people are part of the mix, the possibilities are endless!

Back