Pooh and the Honey Jar

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I asked this same question last year. We have the honey pot with the honey dipper in it. It sits in a saucer to try to eliminate drips on the tablecloth but it still makes a mess. I have not yet resigned myself to the bear (I just don't like the look of it) but also haven't come up with any better solution.
I like the look of those drops, but my guess is most people would have no clue what they are and be constantly asking me "Where's the honey"?
Side track: For those who offer tea, do you keep fresh lemon on hand? I have a fridge right next to the tea table so I guess I could keep some in there, but it would result in a dreaded SIGN pointing it out!.
http://www.truelemon.com/index.php
Side track: For those who offer tea, do you keep fresh lemon on hand? I have a fridge right next to the tea table so I guess I could keep some in there, but it would result in a dreaded SIGN pointing it out!
I found a box of TrueLemon crystals at the grocery last summer. Packets are the size of Splenda packets, they say an equivalent of a wedge of lemon. I think it tastes like lemon juice and have started putting it out with the other tea fixins. Amazon has it. I'll also post in resources.
Innkeep said:
Side track: For those who offer tea, do you keep fresh lemon on hand? I have a fridge right next to the tea table so I guess I could keep some in there, but it would result in a dreaded SIGN pointing it out!
I found a box of TrueLemon crystals at the grocery last summer. Packets are the size of Splenda packets, they say an equivalent of a wedge of lemon.
We have these out, too, with the all-day beverage service. If someone asks me for lemon at the breakfast table, I'll cut a few slices. So far I haven't been asked when I didn't have a lemon! (Note to self - add to grocery list).

I asked this same question last year. We have the honey pot with the honey dipper in it. It sits in a saucer to try to eliminate drips on the tablecloth but it still makes a mess. I have not yet resigned myself to the bear (I just don't like the look of it) but also haven't come up with any better solution.
I like the look of those drops, but my guess is most people would have no clue what they are and be constantly asking me "Where's the honey"?
Side track: For those who offer tea, do you keep fresh lemon on hand? I have a fridge right next to the tea table so I guess I could keep some in there, but it would result in a dreaded SIGN pointing it out!.
I don't have lemon and only get asked for it once in awhile. We generally go thru at least 2 of those little honey bear squeeze bottles/year.

I found a box of TrueLemon crystals at the grocery last summer. Packets are the size of Splenda packets, they say an equivalent of a wedge of lemon. I think it tastes like lemon juice and have started putting it out with the other tea fixins. Amazon has it. I'll also post in resources.
Innkeep said:
Very rarely am I asked for lemon but that does sound like a wonderful idea, will look into that. Thoughts regarding fresh lemon in guest fridge, you would have to make another note to self to keep these refreshed as cut lemons are one of the worst for bacteria growth.

Cool, thank you!

I don't have lemon and only get asked for it once in awhile. We generally go thru at least 2 of those little honey bear squeeze bottles/year.
Alibi Ike said:
I used to have honey out and it was never used so I finally took the hint and put it away. I suppose our tea drinkers are not as much herbal teas as black tea here (and I have nice herbal teas as I drink them every afternoon or a white tea). I would have thought it different.
Has anyone noticed trends changing in this area? Last weekend we had two ladies completely gut our sugar bowl in 2 cups of cofffee each, I refill it about once a week and they sucked the life out of it in less than half a pot of coffee.
Guests have told me this year that they are more and more drinking the flavored creamers that are sweetened so they are wanting sweeter coffee now.

Alibi Ike said:
I used to have honey out and it was never used so I finally took the hint and put it away. I suppose our tea drinkers are not as much herbal teas as black tea here (and I have nice herbal teas as I drink them every afternoon or a white tea). I would have thought it different.
Has anyone noticed trends changing in this area? Last weekend we had two ladies completely gut our sugar bowl in 2 cups of cofffee each, I refill it about once a week and they sucked the life out of it in less than half a pot of coffee.
Guests have told me this year that they are more and more drinking the flavored creamers that are sweetened so they are wanting sweeter coffee now.
On the list of odd things, we seem to see cycles when it comes to flavoured coffee. We brew a strong pot of coffee around here and we have a Keurig for flavoured and decaf. Some people seem to gravitate to the Keurig like it's some giant mirror ball in the sky, asking us why we don't stock regular coffee. Well... it's expensive and we can brew a big pot of strong coffee. We often go through two pots of coffee in one service.
I do stock a bit of regular coffee for the Keurig. We take from our usual coffee and make pods by ourselves with the solofill. Both in case of emergency if I ever run out of the second pot, but also in the winter when we don't have enough guests for a pot, we can pull these out and make a cup at a time.
order-solofill1.jpg

Alibi Ike said:
On the list of odd things, we seem to see cycles when it comes to flavoured coffee. We brew a strong pot of coffee around here and we have a Keurig for flavoured and decaf. Some people seem to gravitate to the Keurig like it's some giant mirror ball in the sky, asking us why we don't stock regular coffee. Well... it's expensive and we can brew a big pot of strong coffee. We often go through two pots of coffee in one service.
I do stock a bit of regular coffee for the Keurig. We take from our usual coffee and make pods by ourselves with the solofill. Both in case of emergency if I ever run out of the second pot, but also in the winter when we don't have enough guests for a pot, we can pull these out and make a cup at a time.
order-solofill1.jpg

coffee must be cheaper here cos it costs us about $4.50 for a pack of ground coffee and that lasts about 3 days depending on how much coffee is drunk. We make it in cafietere (french presses) big pot for two small pot for one.

Alibi Ike said:
I use the sugar packets and the one that goes the fastest is the raw sugar. It's more the mini moos around here even tho we have a pint of half & half right on the counter. Why do people reach past the 'fresh' stuff for the packaged stuff?

Alibi Ike said:
order-solofill1.jpg

We tried using one of those and apparently it does not fit in the 'office' Keurig, only the home version. Rats.
We've gotten a bit lazy now and will leave the Keurig out for breakfast if it's one room. But, one room can go thru 6 cups so I'd rather just make the pot of coffee.

Alibi Ike said:
I use the sugar packets and the one that goes the fastest is the raw sugar. It's more the mini moos around here even tho we have a pint of half & half right on the counter. Why do people reach past the 'fresh' stuff for the packaged stuff?
No one will use the mini moos here and only wants the fresh cream.
We use raw sugar (not packets but bulk because we can) the less packets the better, but the yellows are still #1 and people "clutch" them while at the dining table.
I can't imagine the cost for many of you using the single cup coffee machines, I think people push wrong buttons and try different ones just because they can. I know I do, did. LOL

Alibi Ike said:
We use raw sugar (not packets but bulk because we can) the less packets the better, but the yellows are still #1 and people "clutch" them while at the dining table.
I can't imagine the cost for many of you using the single cup coffee machines, I think people push wrong buttons and try different ones just because they can. I know I do, did. LOL
I still don't understand cream in the US. I buy 10% BF coffee cream here. WTF is half-and-half, half water and half glue? It doesn't say!
By yellows are you talking about Splenda? We now buy the Costco (US) Kirkland Signature Splenda. A heck of a lot cheaper than Splenda. But we don't have them on the table, they have to ask.
For the Keurig, we usually say we will help them. But when you put the cup in and close it, the buttons flash and I have an arrow pointing to the right button to push. We haven't had much trouble with it. I actually opened one to weigh the coffee and test the grind for the Solofill.... we use more coffee. We have Canadians and Europeans who want a strong cup, not brown water!
Joey Bloggs said:

I would try something else. We were discussing the definition of insanity once before and it is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
You could try the dispensers (I found they leak), the honey dripper someone else pointed out (most people know what that is for) or just go for the honey bear containers at the store.
There really is absolutely no reason your guests should understand that THAT particular spoon is for the honey. Now, if you had a spoon with a bee painted on it....
I like the "Bee spoon" thing. Good one. Then I'll have to paint a bee on the saucer too. Right?

Alibi Ike said:
Because we've got the small tables I do the packets to save space. I've got the 5 biggies. I do put the mini moos on the tables to save from having to run back and for constantly pouring more cream. But, the fresh stuff is steps away if they want to get up.
Surprised, tho, how many say, 'Mini moos!' and reach for those.

Alibi Ike said:
I still don't understand cream in the US. I buy 10% BF coffee cream here. WTF is half-and-half, half water and half glue? It doesn't say!
By yellows are you talking about Splenda? We now buy the Costco (US) Kirkland Signature Splenda. A heck of a lot cheaper than Splenda. But we don't have them on the table, they have to ask.
For the Keurig, we usually say we will help them. But when you put the cup in and close it, the buttons flash and I have an arrow pointing to the right button to push. We haven't had much trouble with it. I actually opened one to weigh the coffee and test the grind for the Solofill.... we use more coffee. We have Canadians and Europeans who want a strong cup, not brown water!
Joey Bloggs said:
Half and half is what it sounds like...half milk (3%) and half cream. And it's nasty as can be to try to eat the corn flakes after pouring a pint of it over them because the guest didn't read. What a waste.

Alibi Ike said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Half and half is what it sounds like...half milk (3%) and half cream. And it's nasty as can be to try to eat the corn flakes after pouring a pint of it over them because the guest didn't read. What a waste.
You see why this confuses us.... whole milk in Canada is unhomogonized milk. Homogonized milk (homo milk) is 3.25% milkfat. We have 2%, 1% and skim as well. And milk is available in regular or micro-filtered
For cream, I can get: cooking cream 35%, whipping cream 35%, old fashioned cooking cream 35%, light cooking cream 15%, coffee cream 10%, cremette 5% (light coffee cream).
So if it was half cream and half milk that would make it (35+3.25) /2 = 19.125% MF. Or if they used 15% cream that's (15+3.25)/2 = 9.125% MF but that would be light cream being used. And yes, they are required to list the milkfat content because it's the quality of the cream.

Alibi Ike said:
Joey Bloggs said:
You see why this confuses us.... whole milk in Canada is unhomogonized milk. Homogonized milk (homo milk) is 3.25% milkfat. We have 2%, 1% and skim as well. And milk is available in regular or micro-filtered
For cream, I can get: cooking cream 35%, whipping cream 35%, old fashioned cooking cream 35%, light cooking cream 15%, coffee cream 10%, cremette 5% (light coffee cream).
So if it was half cream and half milk that would make it (35+3.25) /2 = 19.125% MF. Or if they used 15% cream that's (15+3.25)/2 = 9.125% MF but that would be light cream being used. And yes, they are required to list the milkfat content because it's the quality of the cream.
And here in MI we have 1/2 percent milk! I haven't found it anywhere else and my relatives in PA think I am nuts and don't know what I am talking about, but it is true! It is not 1% and it is not skim - 1/2 way between the two! Any other state out there have 1/2% milk?

I do keep fresh lemons in the fridge. I ask my tea people if they take lemon and it is about 50/50 with the ayes & nays. DH uses lemons so no biggie one way or the other (no waste - I use his lemons).
Re coffee costs: Depending on the country of origin, green coffee beans vost me between $5.50 to $10 per pound. 5 oz green gives me a bit over 4 oz roasted = 2 pots of coffee (10-12 cup pots) or 1 of the 24 cup pots (if I have 2 rooms or more of coffee drinkers I use that pot if all want the same coffee). I have 4 coffee pots so they are able to choose different countries (up to 4).

Alibi Ike said:
Joey Bloggs said:
We have 3 main kinds which are colour coded which helps - full fat which is as it comes out of the cow very creamy and is a blue top. Semi Skimmed which is what most people use - green top and skimed which is basically white water and has a red top to warn you it is horrible! Now there are other types like lacto free which is cow milk but with the lacto removed have no clue what it tastes like mind.

Alibi Ike said:
Joey Bloggs said:
We have heavy cream, whipping cream, half & half, 3% milk, 2%, 1% and non fat. What the fat content of half & half is doesn't seem to matter to anyone, they know it goes in coffee and they're happy. If someone wants 'cream' I've got that because it's what we use in the egg dishes. Otherwise it's non-fat milk in the guest fridge for cereal or coffee.
So, 5 kinds of sugar + honey and 4 kinds of 'stuff to put in the coffee' and I still get, 'Don't you have...?'

Alibi Ike said:
Joey Bloggs said:
We have 3 main kinds which are colour coded which helps - full fat which is as it comes out of the cow very creamy and is a blue top. Semi Skimmed which is what most people use - green top and skimed which is basically white water and has a red top to warn you it is horrible! Now there are other types like lacto free which is cow milk but with the lacto removed have no clue what it tastes like mind.
Oh dear...'red milk' (as the kids call it in school) is 3% here. And 'blue milk' is the non fat. The green cap is usually 1%.

Back