Pooh and the Honey Jar

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or you can do what I did...86 the honey. If someone wants it they can ask for it. It was not worth the sticky hassle when 1 person per year wanted honey in their tea..
I did the same. I got rid of honey and no one has ever asked for it. I hate the mess it leaves sticky every where. I also have never had any ever ask for lemon.

I found honey crystals - looks like sugar, but made of honey and in a teddy bear jar - which I put out with the other sweeteners.
But, we have the same problem with the spoons for the regular sugar - somebody stirs their coffee with it then sticks it back in the sugar bowl. We have not found a solution, so we just wash the spoon. There is a coffee cup with regular spoons for stirring sitting right there..
We used to have this problem but now I use sugar rocks in a sort of lump brown and white and you just pop it in your cup and stir this seems to have eliminated the problem and looks pretty.
We used to have this problem but now I use sugar rocks in a sort of lump brown and white and you just pop it in your cup and stir this seems to have eliminated the problem and looks pretty.
I know the lumps that you mean. I never thought of it (duh) but sugar cubes with tongs instead of a spoon would probably solve the problem. We have sugar on the table, too, with spoons - but people hardly ever use that spoon for the coffee. Maybe because there are other guests at the table, too?
muirford said:
I know the lumps that you mean. I never thought of it (duh) but sugar cubes with tongs instead of a spoon would probably solve the problem. We have sugar on the table, too, with spoons - but people hardly ever use that spoon for the coffee. Maybe because there are other guests at the table, too?
They will sometimes use tongs (we had them when we used the brown & white sugar lumps) to stir too...they are just not awake!

I asked this same question last year. We have the honey pot with the honey dipper in it. It sits in a saucer to try to eliminate drips on the tablecloth but it still makes a mess. I have not yet resigned myself to the bear (I just don't like the look of it) but also haven't come up with any better solution.
I like the look of those drops, but my guess is most people would have no clue what they are and be constantly asking me "Where's the honey"?
Side track: For those who offer tea, do you keep fresh lemon on hand? I have a fridge right next to the tea table so I guess I could keep some in there, but it would result in a dreaded SIGN pointing it out!.
I don't have lemon and only get asked for it once in awhile. We generally go thru at least 2 of those little honey bear squeeze bottles/year.
Alibi Ike said:
I don't have lemon and only get asked for it once in awhile. We generally go thru at least 2 of those little honey bear squeeze bottles/year.
I used to have honey out and it was never used so I finally took the hint and put it away. I suppose our tea drinkers are not as much herbal teas as black tea here (and I have nice herbal teas as I drink them every afternoon or a white tea). I would have thought it different.
Has anyone noticed trends changing in this area? Last weekend we had two ladies completely gut our sugar bowl in 2 cups of cofffee each, I refill it about once a week and they sucked the life out of it in less than half a pot of coffee.
Guests have told me this year that they are more and more drinking the flavored creamers that are sweetened so they are wanting sweeter coffee now.
Oy...we had those flavored mini moos and also real half & half. Most people added extra sugar to the flavored stuff. I never quite got that...
OK...here comes a generalization...the Southerners used sugar, sugar, sugar and it was refined sugar, not the raw stuff we had.
Tea drinkers used mostly honey or the agave sweetener here.

I found honey crystals - looks like sugar, but made of honey and in a teddy bear jar - which I put out with the other sweeteners.
But, we have the same problem with the spoons for the regular sugar - somebody stirs their coffee with it then sticks it back in the sugar bowl. We have not found a solution, so we just wash the spoon. There is a coffee cup with regular spoons for stirring sitting right there..
The spoons going back in the sugar is why I eliminated the sugar bowl and went to packets of everything - refined sugar, raw sugar, Stevia (green), Splenda (yellow), Equal (blue), Sweet 'N Low (pink). Honestly, I just think people are not with it in the morning until they've had their caffeine.
Then, honey and agave nectar for the tea drinkers.
I started out putting out lemon wedges & ended up chucking them most of the time, so since I always had lemons I just offered it to tea drinkers (if they didn't use milk) - and gave them a few lemon wedges on these tiny, fluted white dishes I have.

The spoons going back in the sugar is why I eliminated the sugar bowl and went to packets of everything - refined sugar, raw sugar, Stevia (green), Splenda (yellow), Equal (blue), Sweet 'N Low (pink). Honestly, I just think people are not with it in the morning until they've had their caffeine.
I started out putting out lemon wedges & ended up chucking them most of the time, so since I always had lemons I just offered it to tea drinkers (if they didn't use milk) - and gave them a few lemon wedges on these tiny, fluted white dishes I have.
!I have agave nectar for my coffee its made buy the Groovy food company so I had to have it!

!I have agave nectar for my coffee its made buy the Groovy food company so I had to have it!
Another one! I have the agave to put on fruit but never thought to put it out for coffee.

Another one! I have the agave to put on fruit but never thought to put it out for coffee.
I have it cos it is supposed to be better for you than normal sugar and I am a bit of a sugar fiend tastes nice though and is (this will sound bonkers when I say it but you will know what I mean) friendly when you drink it on a cold day.

I asked this same question last year. We have the honey pot with the honey dipper in it. It sits in a saucer to try to eliminate drips on the tablecloth but it still makes a mess. I have not yet resigned myself to the bear (I just don't like the look of it) but also haven't come up with any better solution.
I like the look of those drops, but my guess is most people would have no clue what they are and be constantly asking me "Where's the honey"?
Side track: For those who offer tea, do you keep fresh lemon on hand? I have a fridge right next to the tea table so I guess I could keep some in there, but it would result in a dreaded SIGN pointing it out!.
Alibi Ike said:
I used to have honey out and it was never used so I finally took the hint and put it away. I suppose our tea drinkers are not as much herbal teas as black tea here (and I have nice herbal teas as I drink them every afternoon or a white tea). I would have thought it different.
Has anyone noticed trends changing in this area? Last weekend we had two ladies completely gut our sugar bowl in 2 cups of cofffee each, I refill it about once a week and they sucked the life out of it in less than half a pot of coffee.
Guests have told me this year that they are more and more drinking the flavored creamers that are sweetened so they are wanting sweeter coffee now.
I use the sugar packets and the one that goes the fastest is the raw sugar. It's more the mini moos around here even tho we have a pint of half & half right on the counter. Why do people reach past the 'fresh' stuff for the packaged stuff?
No one will use the mini moos here and only wants the fresh cream.
We use raw sugar (not packets but bulk because we can) the less packets the better, but the yellows are still #1 and people "clutch" them while at the dining table.
I can't imagine the cost for many of you using the single cup coffee machines, I think people push wrong buttons and try different ones just because they can. I know I do, did. LOL
I still don't understand cream in the US. I buy 10% BF coffee cream here. WTF is half-and-half, half water and half glue? It doesn't say!
By yellows are you talking about Splenda? We now buy the Costco (US) Kirkland Signature Splenda. A heck of a lot cheaper than Splenda. But we don't have them on the table, they have to ask.
For the Keurig, we usually say we will help them. But when you put the cup in and close it, the buttons flash and I have an arrow pointing to the right button to push. We haven't had much trouble with it. I actually opened one to weigh the coffee and test the grind for the Solofill.... we use more coffee. We have Canadians and Europeans who want a strong cup, not brown water!
Joey Bloggs said:
No one will use the mini moos here and only wants the fresh cream.
We use raw sugar (not packets but bulk because we can) the less packets the better, but the yellows are still #1 and people "clutch" them while at the dining table.
I can't imagine the cost for many of you using the single cup coffee machines, I think people push wrong buttons and try different ones just because they can. I know I do, did. LOL
Half and half is what it sounds like...half milk (3%) and half cream. And it's nasty as can be to try to eat the corn flakes after pouring a pint of it over them because the guest didn't read. What a waste.
You see why this confuses us.... whole milk in Canada is unhomogonized milk. Homogonized milk (homo milk) is 3.25% milkfat. We have 2%, 1% and skim as well. And milk is available in regular or micro-filtered
For cream, I can get: cooking cream 35%, whipping cream 35%, old fashioned cooking cream 35%, light cooking cream 15%, coffee cream 10%, cremette 5% (light coffee cream).
So if it was half cream and half milk that would make it (35+3.25) /2 = 19.125% MF. Or if they used 15% cream that's (15+3.25)/2 = 9.125% MF but that would be light cream being used. And yes, they are required to list the milkfat content because it's the quality of the cream.
And here in MI we have 1/2 percent milk! I haven't found it anywhere else and my relatives in PA think I am nuts and don't know what I am talking about, but it is true! It is not 1% and it is not skim - 1/2 way between the two! Any other state out there have 1/2% milk?
suellen222 said:
And here in MI we have 1/2 percent milk! I haven't found it anywhere else and my relatives in PA think I am nuts and don't know what I am talking about, but it is true! It is not 1% and it is not skim - 1/2 way between the two! Any other state out there have 1/2% milk?
I've seen it in Colorado.

Back