Professional Courtesy or no?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If we know that they are innkeeper we usually discount their rate by 10%. I do not do free stay in exchange for stay in their place- hard to keep a track of it.

Personally I would love to 'swap' with other innkeepers in this forum. I may never actually get to most parts of this country (or others), but if told an innmate was booking, it would be an automatic swap. I've been 'paid' many times over by kindnesses shown by innmates and saved so much grief by others sharing their experiences here.
heart.gif
The thing is: I would have to be told the guest is an innmate, I don't really keep track of names, aliases and their assorted houses! My brain capacity is taxed enough with the straightforward!
In general, I would not discount just because a guest is an innkeeper I do not know. Even locally, I don't expect a discount from a nearby inn I truly love. I'm grateful they run their inn way they do, keep locals employed, and feature regular local musicians and lecturers in their periodic events. They're wonderful people and it is a pleasure to help support them now and again in a small way.
Friends and family know paid guests come first for accommodations. We have a couple of places to stash friends if we're full, so that helps. In the off season, friends/family free.

I paid my taxes yesterday - for the entire year both real estate and personal property - and it is still less than half what we paid in Illinois in 1995. That said, if giving up a couple nights revenue to fellow innkeepers is going to break me, I have a problem. Do not misunderstand what I am saying - this is for ME, not anyone else.
Travel must come to me and I am grateful for any that does. Due to age and condition, His Lordship does not travel which means it is difficult for me to leave - the Road Trip was a wonder and if the opportunity arises again I will move heaven and earth to repeat it. So with any luck, innmates will find their way to I-79 and stop by for a night or two or even just a cuppa. It allows me to repay the kindnesses that have been shown to me and pay forward the ones that are to come in my lifetime.

Personally I would love to 'swap' with other innkeepers in this forum. I may never actually get to most parts of this country (or others), but if told an innmate was booking, it would be an automatic swap. I've been 'paid' many times over by kindnesses shown by innmates and saved so much grief by others sharing their experiences here.
heart.gif
The thing is: I would have to be told the guest is an innmate, I don't really keep track of names, aliases and their assorted houses! My brain capacity is taxed enough with the straightforward!
In general, I would not discount just because a guest is an innkeeper I do not know. Even locally, I don't expect a discount from a nearby inn I truly love. I'm grateful they run their inn way they do, keep locals employed, and feature regular local musicians and lecturers in their periodic events. They're wonderful people and it is a pleasure to help support them now and again in a small way.
Friends and family know paid guests come first for accommodations. We have a couple of places to stash friends if we're full, so that helps. In the off season, friends/family free..
Anon Inn said:
heart.gif
I would still love to do what Jon Sable said and go inncognito at an inn and have fun with it! :)

I paid my taxes yesterday - for the entire year both real estate and personal property - and it is still less than half what we paid in Illinois in 1995. That said, if giving up a couple nights revenue to fellow innkeepers is going to break me, I have a problem. Do not misunderstand what I am saying - this is for ME, not anyone else.
Travel must come to me and I am grateful for any that does. Due to age and condition, His Lordship does not travel which means it is difficult for me to leave - the Road Trip was a wonder and if the opportunity arises again I will move heaven and earth to repeat it. So with any luck, innmates will find their way to I-79 and stop by for a night or two or even just a cuppa. It allows me to repay the kindnesses that have been shown to me and pay forward the ones that are to come in my lifetime..
I'm happy to sign on to your philosophy. I was such a taker in my early years and I've been working hard over the last several years to be a giver and bring my debt in balance. Who knows, maybe even tip the scale the other way someday.

heart.gif
Friends and family know paid guests come first for accommodations. We have a couple of places to stash friends if we're full, so that helps. In the off season, friends/family free..
Anon Inn said:
heart.gif
I would still love to do what Jon Sable said and go inncognito at an inn and have fun with it! :)
You can be the very devil!
heart.gif

heart.gif
Anon Inn said:
heart.gif
You can be the very devil!
heart.gif

I'm confident if JB comes to visit us, she'll let us know in advance.
devil_smile.gif

heart.gif
Anon Inn said:
heart.gif
Went incognito to an inn in another state not because I was being sneaky, but I didn't want to have any discussions about innkeeping when I only had 4 days away from our place. Problem was their gardeners showed up at 7am and woke me up the second morning and the husband told crude jokes during breakfast. I so wanted to write a bad review because I really didn't have an enjoyable stay and paid a LOT. But I didn't because I'm a fellow innkeeper. Had I not been, the review would not have been flattering.

Travel must come to me and I am grateful for any that does. Due to age and condition, His Lordship does not travel which means it is difficult for me to leave - the Road Trip was a wonder and if the opportunity arises again I will move heaven and earth to repeat it. So with any luck, innmates will find their way to I-79 and stop by for a night or two or even just a cuppa. It allows me to repay the kindnesses that have been shown to me and pay forward the ones that are to come in my lifetime..
I need a sneaky way to do this without announcing that I'm coming.... that's the Jon Sable way!

I need a sneaky way to do this without announcing that I'm coming.... that's the Jon Sable way!
Jon Sable said:
You might be shocked at what you find. You may find the grouse on the forum are the ones who are hospitality extraordinaire in person. :)

Jon Sable said:
You might be shocked at what you find. You may find the grouse on the forum are the ones who are hospitality extraordinaire in person. :)
Can I wear my T-Shirt in tribute of my favourite of the seven dwarfs?

Jon Sable said:
Jon Sable said:
OMG I want one!

Yes - if I know they are innkeepers, I usually give a 50% discount; If I am reasonably sure that I would travel in their direction, I would offer a swap... Come visit us in south central PA!

Select Registry innkeepers are supposed to receive a 50% off discount at fellow SR properties - we used that frequently (trying to go during less busy times at the properties), and a few whom we knew gave us free rooms. We gave that level of discount to innkeepers that we didn't know even if they weren't SR, and gave free or highly discounted rooms to many innmates (forum or not). We did have to know they were innkeepers - didn't know about one until they showed up, so I gave the discount then.
We did have an early-on bad experience with a fellow innkeeper - was a PITA guest, added nights at last minute, and I discounted for two rooms for him. He wrote a snarky (but 4 star review) and I questioned my professional discount policy for awhile. But he turned out to be the only real problem child in our 11 1/2 years, and I loved hosting innmates from the forum and not.

Select Registry innkeepers are supposed to receive a 50% off discount at fellow SR properties - we used that frequently (trying to go during less busy times at the properties), and a few whom we knew gave us free rooms. We gave that level of discount to innkeepers that we didn't know even if they weren't SR, and gave free or highly discounted rooms to many innmates (forum or not). We did have to know they were innkeepers - didn't know about one until they showed up, so I gave the discount then.
We did have an early-on bad experience with a fellow innkeeper - was a PITA guest, added nights at last minute, and I discounted for two rooms for him. He wrote a snarky (but 4 star review) and I questioned my professional discount policy for awhile. But he turned out to be the only real problem child in our 11 1/2 years, and I loved hosting innmates from the forum and not..
muirford said:
We did have an early-on bad experience with a fellow innkeeper - was a PITA guest, added nights at last minute, and I discounted for two rooms for him. He wrote a snarky (but 4 star review) and I questioned my professional discount policy for awhile. But he turned out to be the only real problem child in our 11 1/2 years, and I loved hosting innmates from the forum and not.
Did you forget the one who had the naked children running around the front yard review? That was a different innkeeper I think. From a state who will remain unnamed.
shades_smile.gif

Yes - if I know they are innkeepers, I usually give a 50% discount; If I am reasonably sure that I would travel in their direction, I would offer a swap... Come visit us in south central PA!.
timberbandb said:
Yes - if I know they are innkeepers, I usually give a 50% discount; If I am reasonably sure that I would travel in their direction, I would offer a swap... Come visit us in south central PA!
You are ALWAYS welcoming. Can't wait to see you again soon.

We did have an early-on bad experience with a fellow innkeeper - was a PITA guest, added nights at last minute, and I discounted for two rooms for him. He wrote a snarky (but 4 star review) and I questioned my professional discount policy for awhile. But he turned out to be the only real problem child in our 11 1/2 years, and I loved hosting innmates from the forum and not..
muirford said:
Select Registry innkeepers are supposed to receive a 50% off discount at fellow SR properties
I'm not SR, and neither was this inn. That's a nice policy, tho.

muirford said:
Select Registry innkeepers are supposed to receive a 50% off discount at fellow SR properties
Aussie Innkeeper said:
muirford said:
I knew you weren't. We didn't really have anything to go by, so when we joined SR and found out that was the standard, we extended it to other innkeepers as our professional discount.

I have had three innkeepers (that I know of) visit from other states. Honestly, I never thought to offer a discount, because I would not ask for one. If they had asked, I would have given 10%. If they are coming from another small inn (like I am), then then know it's tough to discount rooms.

Okay- that would get my hackles up. Either you get 5 star glowing from us or we don't review.

Back