Professional Courtesy or no?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Select Registry innkeepers are supposed to receive a 50% off discount at fellow SR properties - we used that frequently (trying to go during less busy times at the properties), and a few whom we knew gave us free rooms. We gave that level of discount to innkeepers that we didn't know even if they weren't SR, and gave free or highly discounted rooms to many innmates (forum or not). We did have to know they were innkeepers - didn't know about one until they showed up, so I gave the discount then.
We did have an early-on bad experience with a fellow innkeeper - was a PITA guest, added nights at last minute, and I discounted for two rooms for him. He wrote a snarky (but 4 star review) and I questioned my professional discount policy for awhile. But he turned out to be the only real problem child in our 11 1/2 years, and I loved hosting innmates from the forum and not..
Okay- that would get my hackles up. Either you get 5 star glowing from us or we don't review.
happykeeper said:
Okay- that would get my hackles up. Either you get 5 star glowing from us or we don't review.
thumbs_up.gif
Got my hackles up, too. Especially since he made some comments that just weren't true. I occasionally still think about revenge.

Select Registry innkeepers are supposed to receive a 50% off discount at fellow SR properties - we used that frequently (trying to go during less busy times at the properties), and a few whom we knew gave us free rooms. We gave that level of discount to innkeepers that we didn't know even if they weren't SR, and gave free or highly discounted rooms to many innmates (forum or not). We did have to know they were innkeepers - didn't know about one until they showed up, so I gave the discount then.
We did have an early-on bad experience with a fellow innkeeper - was a PITA guest, added nights at last minute, and I discounted for two rooms for him. He wrote a snarky (but 4 star review) and I questioned my professional discount policy for awhile. But he turned out to be the only real problem child in our 11 1/2 years, and I loved hosting innmates from the forum and not..
happykeeper said:
thumbs_up.gif
Got my hackles up, too. Especially since he made some comments that just weren't true. I occasionally still think about revenge.
Reminds me of the husband of a employee from an inn we do a GC swap with. I made the mistake of saying, "a review" when he asked what he could do for us. He failed us in one of the categories and said that he felt he needed to make it, "real" He had NO idea. Since that time, we have emphatically stated to those that we swap with that it is for use by only the employee and that they must be present. One of those thorns that is hard to remove. Thank goodness there aren't too many of them.

hmmmm ... i only had one innkeeper couple stay that i'm aware of and they dropped that in conversation during their stay. i didn't give them a discount and it didn't occur to me to do so. maybe that was bad form. i think more in terms of innkeepers i know through this forum and other places ... that feels different ... more like comrades or friends ... and i would certainly discount for them and would hope they would for me, but i wouldn't have asked.

I've got innkeepers staying tomorrow night. They called to make a reservation and I gave them a nice discount. They were so pleased and pleasantly surprised. Said that they had been working non-stop for several weeks now and just got a 'fluke' of a Saturday with no reservations, so they blocked it out and are getting out of Dodge!
We offer a clergy discount, too. I know first hand that both clergy and innkeepers are groups that really need to take R&R, but seldom do because of 1. they don't have the time; and 2, they don't have the funds. So, I figure I can help with one of those factors.

I've got innkeepers staying tomorrow night. They called to make a reservation and I gave them a nice discount. They were so pleased and pleasantly surprised. Said that they had been working non-stop for several weeks now and just got a 'fluke' of a Saturday with no reservations, so they blocked it out and are getting out of Dodge!
We offer a clergy discount, too. I know first hand that both clergy and innkeepers are groups that really need to take R&R, but seldom do because of 1. they don't have the time; and 2, they don't have the funds. So, I figure I can help with one of those factors..
Aussie Innkeeper said:
We offer a clergy discount, too. I know first hand that both clergy and innkeepers are groups that really need to take R&R, but seldom do because of 1. they don't have the time; and 2, they don't have the funds. So, I figure I can help with one of those factors.
We noticed a night with no reservations and blocked it off too. But we aren't leaving town, we will be staying in our honeymoon room. Why not, eh?

Back