Pros and Cons of Continental

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is just my opinion; I don't have your demographic nor your situation. Our younger guests barely struggle to get downstairs awake by 9:30. Around my neighborhood, full breakfasts are the 'done' thing and we are not at the lowest end of the spectrum. The low-end chain hotel has a continental with cook-your-own waffles (batter in a paper cup) so I'd rather not do anything that remotely resembles their offering. The other local hotels don't include breakfast or coffee, and it's a pretty penny to eat in their restaurants.
With a younger crowd and prices at the low-end - and maybe mostly single night stays ? - I'd do a fabulous continental. Organic yogurts, a few kind of juices, hard-boiled eggs, toast your own bread and bagels, organic cereals and milk - maybe some smoked salmon for the bagels, a few sweetbreads. Super-good coffee. Just be careful to be sure you will have the occupancy so you won't waste a lot of stuff, and invest in a fridge for the dining room to keep the yogurts chilled so you don't have to toss it at the end of the breakfast time.
The Swann House B&B in DC has a wonderful continental breakfast (because of local health department laws) with lots of organic stuff and choices with protein or whole-grain carbs. I think lots of the younger crowd would prefer that..
muirford said:
With a younger crowd and prices at the low-end - and maybe mostly single night stays ?
Actually, our average stay is about 3 nights...very very few one nighters here. I notice since I've been doing this special, nearly everyone comes down and partakes AFTER 9am...only one couple that were up and around early. But then, I advertise it as "your excuse to sleep in", so I should not be suprised!
This special involves freshly baked sweet breads or muffins, individually wrapped cups of fruit, juice and hot beverages. We are a very casual place with a laid back crowd, and a fancy continental plus with some of the items mentioned would be very out of place, although adding yogurt would be easy enough with the existing fridge.
While everyone else does serve a full brekkie, I've never been afraid to be the different one...it's what has made us so popular so far. Well, really just a nebulous thought...some way to make both our lives easier. Maybe I'll just have to look forward to November each year.
Little Blue said:
Well, really just a nebulous thought...some way to make both our lives easier. Maybe I'll just have to look forward to November each year.
LB, why not just continue your November special if it's working? If guests like it, it's filling rooms, and making your lives easier, why not just continue what you're doing?
Sure, adding some hard-boiled eggs and yogurt would certainly add a wee bit of flair, without adding a lot to the cost.
But even without that, if it works for your guests, sounds like it's the best plan for your inn. And your lives

This is just my opinion; I don't have your demographic nor your situation. Our younger guests barely struggle to get downstairs awake by 9:30. Around my neighborhood, full breakfasts are the 'done' thing and we are not at the lowest end of the spectrum. The low-end chain hotel has a continental with cook-your-own waffles (batter in a paper cup) so I'd rather not do anything that remotely resembles their offering. The other local hotels don't include breakfast or coffee, and it's a pretty penny to eat in their restaurants.
With a younger crowd and prices at the low-end - and maybe mostly single night stays ? - I'd do a fabulous continental. Organic yogurts, a few kind of juices, hard-boiled eggs, toast your own bread and bagels, organic cereals and milk - maybe some smoked salmon for the bagels, a few sweetbreads. Super-good coffee. Just be careful to be sure you will have the occupancy so you won't waste a lot of stuff, and invest in a fridge for the dining room to keep the yogurts chilled so you don't have to toss it at the end of the breakfast time.
The Swann House B&B in DC has a wonderful continental breakfast (because of local health department laws) with lots of organic stuff and choices with protein or whole-grain carbs. I think lots of the younger crowd would prefer that..
muirford said:
With a younger crowd and prices at the low-end - and maybe mostly single night stays ?
Actually, our average stay is about 3 nights...very very few one nighters here. I notice since I've been doing this special, nearly everyone comes down and partakes AFTER 9am...only one couple that were up and around early. But then, I advertise it as "your excuse to sleep in", so I should not be suprised!
This special involves freshly baked sweet breads or muffins, individually wrapped cups of fruit, juice and hot beverages. We are a very casual place with a laid back crowd, and a fancy continental plus with some of the items mentioned would be very out of place, although adding yogurt would be easy enough with the existing fridge.
While everyone else does serve a full brekkie, I've never been afraid to be the different one...it's what has made us so popular so far. Well, really just a nebulous thought...some way to make both our lives easier. Maybe I'll just have to look forward to November each year.
Little Blue said:
Well, really just a nebulous thought...some way to make both our lives easier. Maybe I'll just have to look forward to November each year.
LB, why not just continue your November special if it's working? If guests like it, it's filling rooms, and making your lives easier, why not just continue what you're doing?
Sure, adding some hard-boiled eggs and yogurt would certainly add a wee bit of flair, without adding a lot to the cost.
But even without that, if it works for your guests, sounds like it's the best plan for your inn. And your lives
Innkeeper To Go said:
I actually have extended it through a good part of December, before the snowsports season starts. Kind of wanted to see if it brings the same results in December as in November. That will help us decide what to do.

muirford said:
There is nothing better than a really good bagel, I can't get them around here and would go nuts over that! But if a breakfast becomes too much home-baked then it is defeating the k.i.s.s plan. If I eat a continental I usually add yoghurt to my cereal of choice - the main reason is the milk is never cold enough.
I think you have a good plan and receptive guests from what you have described. When we started out it was buffet style - and I will be honest it cost MORE than a plated multi course breakfast. I had to put out ample of everything each day and I couldn't put it back out if it was not super fresh or refreeze most of it.
Joey Bloggs said:
...if a breakfast becomes too much home-baked then it is defeating the k.i.s.s plan.
Not in this case...I bake everything the day before for the continental, and can usually go right in the oven along with whatever is baking for dessert. This puts the onus on me rather than on D., who has precious little time outside work hours, whereas I am here all day, every day and can do baking during whatever part of the day is easiest for me! He's really getting tired.....I work one job to his two!
muirford said:
...not just sweet bread or muffins. But that's just me.
There is a wealth of savory muffin and bread recipes, so all would not have to be sweet. December's outcome will contribute to the final decision.

muirford said:
There is nothing better than a really good bagel, I can't get them around here and would go nuts over that! But if a breakfast becomes too much home-baked then it is defeating the k.i.s.s plan. If I eat a continental I usually add yoghurt to my cereal of choice - the main reason is the milk is never cold enough.
I think you have a good plan and receptive guests from what you have described. When we started out it was buffet style - and I will be honest it cost MORE than a plated multi course breakfast. I had to put out ample of everything each day and I couldn't put it back out if it was not super fresh or refreeze most of it.
Joey Bloggs said:
...if a breakfast becomes too much home-baked then it is defeating the k.i.s.s plan.
Not in this case...I bake everything the day before for the continental, and can usually go right in the oven along with whatever is baking for dessert. This puts the onus on me rather than on D., who has precious little time outside work hours, whereas I am here all day, every day and can do baking during whatever part of the day is easiest for me! He's really getting tired.....I work one job to his two!
muirford said:
There is a wealth of savory muffin and bread recipes, so all would not have to be sweet. December's outcome will contribute to the final decision.
I hear ya. I see what you are saying. I do the breakfasts here, he makes the coffee and works his other full time +job plus this one every single night and every weekend. This is a good reason to downsize to just one job for him.

I honestly think you can market it to your advantage either way. If you have mostly younger, active people you can bill it as being able to eat on your own schedule, not waiting around for a fancy, multi-course breakfast that they might not be interested in anyway...I remember you saying there are some heavy Victorians in your area and how your space is quite different and it's helped to create your unique niche...I could see a continental or a continental plus breakfast fitting right into that demo.

muirford said:
Joey Bloggs said:
muirford said:
LB, Have you considered taking all the burden off D and you just do the breakfasts yourself? It sounds like you are trying to lighten his load...

muirford said:
Joey Bloggs said:
muirford said:
LB, Have you considered taking all the burden off D and you just do the breakfasts yourself? It sounds like you are trying to lighten his load...
I do not enjoy cooking and fear I might find innkeeping far less enjoyable and the business would suffer as a result of my doing so. I stay up later and get up later than he does...with the continental, he can still get everything out by 7am and then be done, and I will still have the energy and enthusiasm to do all the kitchen cleanup, housekeeping, laundry, check in and out, shopping, dessert, bill paying, reservations, marketing, etc.
I think guests enjoy our place because they know we love what we do. That would change if Little Blue felt compelled to get up at the crack of dawn and cook breakfast on top of everything else she does!

muirford said:
Joey Bloggs said:
muirford said:
I do not enjoy cooking and fear I might find innkeeping far less enjoyable and the business would suffer as a result of my doing so. I stay up later and get up later than he does...with the continental, he can still get everything out by 7am and then be done, and I will still have the energy and enthusiasm to do all the kitchen cleanup, housekeeping, laundry, check in and out, shopping, dessert, bill paying, reservations, marketing, etc.
I think guests enjoy our place because they know we love what we do. That would change if Little Blue felt compelled to get up at the crack of dawn and cook breakfast on top of everything else she does!
OMG! You are SO much like me it is scary! That is why Anne and I make such a great team - she would prefer to stay in the kitchen 24/7 and I love doing everything else. I don't mind cleaning up after breakfast, and I also love to bake!
It sounds like Continental is surely the way to go at this time in your lives - at least until you sell! You have to do what works for you - not what you think everyone else wants you to do! Feed them - they will come!

Back