Put your coffee down first...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm...I'll be the outlier but I think a make-your-own parfait would be great on a continental breakfast buffet. It will be more waste, but I would prefer it myself over premade. Choice of two yogurts, homemade granola, a variety of fruits and maybe a fun fruit syrup would be great. In classy containers, of course, so it doesn't look like your generic XYZ Inn cheap hotel buffet. Just my opinion..
muirford said:
Hmm...I'll be the outlier but I think a make-your-own parfait would be great on a continental breakfast buffet. It will be more waste, but I would prefer it myself over premade. Choice of two yogurts, homemade granola, a variety of fruits and maybe a fun fruit syrup would be great. In classy containers, of course, so it doesn't look like your generic XYZ Inn cheap hotel buffet. Just my opinion.
Sounds like a Sundae Bar

Hmm...I'll be the outlier but I think a make-your-own parfait would be great on a continental breakfast buffet. It will be more waste, but I would prefer it myself over premade. Choice of two yogurts, homemade granola, a variety of fruits and maybe a fun fruit syrup would be great. In classy containers, of course, so it doesn't look like your generic XYZ Inn cheap hotel buffet. Just my opinion..
muirford said:
Hmm...I'll be the outlier but I think a make-your-own parfait would be great on a continental breakfast buffet. It will be more waste, but I would prefer it myself over premade. Choice of two yogurts, homemade granola, a variety of fruits and maybe a fun fruit syrup would be great. In classy containers, of course, so it doesn't look like your generic XYZ Inn cheap hotel buffet. Just my opinion.
Sounds like a Sundae Bar
Penelope said:
muirford said:
Sounds like a Sundae Bar
I don't know what that is
embaressed_smile.gif
, but the concept is just like that of the million fro-yo places that have popped up everywhere. Minus the gummi bear and sour worm toppings.

I went in to make breakfast this morning and found my blueberry grk yoghurts were gone, and in their place was KEY LIME extra thick and rich greek yog.
I was not happy, I made this monstrously weird parfait, with a variety of fruit and nuts and trying to disguise the key lime yogh. Using things I had not planned on using!
The guests liked it.
DH was lucky he was not around this morning, or I would have worn him out! He said on I.M. "Um, maybe I took them...".
Way to use what's on hand!
Question regarding parfaits - do you find the guest prefer a premade parfait over a buffet style with yogurt, fruit and granola all available?
I was actually wondering this morning if people would like parfaits and then I saw your post. (9 days until we take ownership!)
TheBeachHouse said:
Way to use what's on hand!
Question regarding parfaits - do you find the guest prefer a premade parfait over a buffet style with yogurt, fruit and granola all available?
I was actually wondering this morning if people would like parfaits and then I saw your post. (9 days until we take ownership!)
We make and serve everything, no buffet. A buffet is too much work to set up and keep stocked. Of course, it depends on how many rooms you have and what the style of the inn is.
6 rooms. Continetal breakfast only. (no restaurant license.)
The Current owner does a buffet with bread or muffins, fruit, yogurt and cereal. We are going to expand a little with granola. I thought parfaits might be fun on a Sunday or holiday to make it look special, but wondered if people prefer to make their own.
You may want to toy around a little once you are settled in and feel comfortable. You will see soon what 'sells' and what doesn't
wink_smile.gif

So excited for you, beginning this adventure is so much fun. I still love it 15 yrs in, though at times I sure could use an extended vacation!
Thanks!! We are pretty excited. I have worked as a chamber maid and a waitress and he has worked in retail store management, so we think we know what we are getting into.
I guess y'all will be the first to know !
we have our fingers crossed!

muirford said:
Sounds like a Sundae Bar
Penelope said:
muirford said:
Sounds like a Sundae Bar
embaressed_smile.gif
, but the concept is just like that of the million fro-yo places that have popped up everywhere. Minus the gummi bear and sour worm toppings.
muirford said:
Penelope said:
muirford said:
Sounds like a Sundae Bar
embaressed_smile.gif
Sundae Bar: two different flavor of ice cream, cute little bowls, all the toppings you can think of (and some you wouldn't have thought of), whipped topping, different drizzles (chocolate, hot fudge, caramel, marshmallow), nuts, fruit, small bite-size pieces of brownies and/or cookies...make your own :)

muirford said:
Sounds like a Sundae Bar
Penelope said:
muirford said:
Sounds like a Sundae Bar
embaressed_smile.gif
muirford said:
Penelope said:
muirford said:
Sounds like a Sundae Bar
embaressed_smile.gif
Sundae Bar: two different flavor of ice cream, cute little bowls, all the toppings you can think of (and some you wouldn't have thought of), whipped topping, different drizzles (chocolate, hot fudge, caramel, marshmallow), nuts, fruit, small bite-size pieces of brownies and/or cookies...make your own :)
Penelope said:
Ha - yes, like that! I thought you meant there was a specific place or product.

muirford said:
Sounds like a Sundae Bar
You could really have fun with it by season. Strawberries and blueberries in July. Sunflower seeds in August. M & Ms in October. Maybe jellybeans in the spring....
Sprinkles, coconut flakes, chopped nuts, raisons....

muirford said:
Sounds like a Sundae Bar
Penelope said:
muirford said:
Sounds like a Sundae Bar
embaressed_smile.gif
muirford said:
Penelope said:
muirford said:
Sounds like a Sundae Bar
embaressed_smile.gif
I thought about doing a Sundae bar because I know if I was a guest I'd be completely in heaven! But - what a mess to deal with! We already have an ant issue and can't even imagine the mess we'd come in to in the mornings. Even if we keep the ingredients in the fridge & freezer, we can reasonably expect the guests to clean up after themselves. After all, that's why they pay us the big bucks, right?

Back