Quote from a B&B owner - just an FYI for all Inn-sitters or Aspiring

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only reason I would have an innsitter would be to do IT ALL, not just man the front desk. and take the money. I do it all, so they would do it all. That is where we are, and how we operate. (at my inn at my location, not speaking for any others they do what they do and it works for them).
I think most innsitters do just that: whatever you would normally do. The thing is, every inn owner does things differently and handle a different range of services themselves.
If the inn owner cleans the toilets, I clean the toilets. If it's a 16 room inn with staff, I oversee the staff. If the owner staffs the desk every day, so do I. And I think that's true for most innsitters.
So often the innsitters with those complex fee structures got the idea for those separate fees for separate services from the innkeeping classes they took. They're generally not experienced innkeepers themselves so are just not thinking in terms of how to make this whole thing as simple as possible for someone who just needs a break without having to feel nickled and dimed about it.
Innkeeper To Go said:
If the inn owner cleans the toilets, I clean the toilets. If it's a 16 room inn with staff, I oversee the staff. If the owner staffs the desk every day, so do I. And I think that's true for most innsitters
I'm familiar with Suellen's rates, as I've met her and have contracted her to innsit for me in February. I looked at your website, also - just to get an idea. You have listed room turnovers as an extra fee of $25 - or is that old information? Just trying to get a comparison here. Your way of breaking costs out is more standard than Suellen's, although Suellen's was more compelling to me with six rooms during a shoulder season.
The room turnover fee that I would charge would generally only apply to larger inns, ie. if the cleaning crew doesn't show up.
In larger inns, the innkeeper may indeed need to clean the rooms from time to time - but it should be the exception since they're already doing so much. Believe it or not, some larger inns who don't normally clean the rooms themselves will let the cleaning crew off for an innsitter simply because her listed rate includes room cleaning! I do what the owner/innkeeper does; if they need a cleaning crew to keep up, I probably will, too!
For small inns, where the owner/innkeeper generally does all those things, they'd be included in a standard fee.
Generally speaking, with very very few exceptions, if I have an additional fee to charge it's for something above and beyond ordinary innsitting. For instance, developing a marketing plan or a staff training program or something of that sort of consulting fee. I'm helping an inn now change out their online reservation system while they're on vacation. That's above and beyond a normal expectation for innsitting, so I charge extra for that.

Years ago I inquired about innsitting rates - there was a per day fee, plus a room cleaning fee, plus so much per breakfast per person. This convinced me to just block the rooms and go. Even if I broke even with revenue and innsitter fees, I would be in the hole for utilities and supplies. I have blocked rooms in January even though DH will be here. Only once did I take a rez that he would have to handle - because there was a horse involved. I had everything ready in the fridge for him to put in oven or put on the table before I left and he made a diagram of a place setting.
If I had an emergency and had reservations, I would contact the other B & Bs in the area to try to book them there instead..
I know lots of small B&Bs who do the same and that works out well for them. In fact, I know some 10-12 room inns that do the same.
It all comes down to what is best for a particular inn. In my experience, the inns who hire me get their money back many times over - and they know that. If they were going to be losing money, it wouldn't make sense to me either.
Still, I think it makes sense for any innkeeper to have a backup plan in case of emergency. Having an innsitter that you've worked with before, even on a very short term basis, can take at least a little bit of stress out of unexpected situations. Sometimes life happens when you least expect it...

Where are you located? Our innsitters only have I think three rates - housesit, mini operation and full operation but I can't recall. They are located in central Virginia and very charming but not afraid to scrub a bathroom.
RIki.
Riki, I am located in MI, but the B&B owner that sent me this is located in NC and was looking for someone since I wasn't able to help her. Do you share your Inn-sitters and would they be willing to travel down to NC? I am trying to find someone else to do the job since the owner is getting frustrated. She said she is spoiled with what my sister and I do for her - it made my day!
We do it all - whatever the owner does, we do - I just thought it made the most sense when I started my business. We only charge when rooms are rented - we get paid for the work we do. I am not going to charge you if I am sitting around twiddling my thumbs - if there is downtime I go out and try to get to know your town so that I can be more knowledgeable when the guests start coming!

The only reason I would have an innsitter would be to do IT ALL, not just man the front desk. and take the money. I do it all, so they would do it all. That is where we are, and how we operate. (at my inn at my location, not speaking for any others they do what they do and it works for them).
I think most innsitters do just that: whatever you would normally do. The thing is, every inn owner does things differently and handle a different range of services themselves.
If the inn owner cleans the toilets, I clean the toilets. If it's a 16 room inn with staff, I oversee the staff. If the owner staffs the desk every day, so do I. And I think that's true for most innsitters.
So often the innsitters with those complex fee structures got the idea for those separate fees for separate services from the innkeeping classes they took. They're generally not experienced innkeepers themselves so are just not thinking in terms of how to make this whole thing as simple as possible for someone who just needs a break without having to feel nickled and dimed about it.
Innkeeper To Go said:
That is why I am not a big fan of the "innkeeping classes" - I think it is just a way for some people to make $ - the best way to become an Inn-sitter is find someone who needs help and they will train you exactly the way they want you to run their Inn. When I start a new job I like to be there a day ahead of time to "train" since every B&B is different and every B&B owner is different!

Where are you located? Our innsitters only have I think three rates - housesit, mini operation and full operation but I can't recall. They are located in central Virginia and very charming but not afraid to scrub a bathroom.
RIki.
Riki, I am located in MI, but the B&B owner that sent me this is located in NC and was looking for someone since I wasn't able to help her. Do you share your Inn-sitters and would they be willing to travel down to NC? I am trying to find someone else to do the job since the owner is getting frustrated. She said she is spoiled with what my sister and I do for her - it made my day!
We do it all - whatever the owner does, we do - I just thought it made the most sense when I started my business. We only charge when rooms are rented - we get paid for the work we do. I am not going to charge you if I am sitting around twiddling my thumbs - if there is downtime I go out and try to get to know your town so that I can be more knowledgeable when the guests start coming!
Your rate structure is the only reason we are using an innsitter for this vacation rather than closing. We have used an innsitter before - a local couple of retired innkeepers - who were very reasonably priced, during a time when we were pretty full every day. But their health is not as good lately, so that wasn't an option. In the early spring, I could sit empty for a week or I could be full at the last minute. Heck, this week, I had about 4 room-nights rented on Monday and now I've got 22 (6 rooms over 4 nights). Paying $200/day plus travel expenses is just not a good deal for me - when I can forward a phone and do online reservations if I need to. Your way seems better to me.
I don't get the thing about not having housekeepers come in - even in the slow season I give mine a day or two a week so they have some money coming in and we do deep cleaning if there's nothing else. I hire part-timers with that understanding. When it's only a room or two, we take care of the turns ourselves, or I save them up for the housekeeper. That's what I would expect an innsitter to do - if the housekeeper wasn't going to be in that day, make sure there is a room or two for walk-ins and then let the housekeeper get paid to do her job.

Innkeeper To Go said:
That is why I am not a big fan of the "innkeeping classes" - I think it is just a way for some people to make $ - the best way to become an Inn-sitter is find someone who needs help and they will train you exactly the way they want you to run their Inn. When I start a new job I like to be there a day ahead of time to "train" since every B&B is different and every B&B owner is different!
You know, I actually can see the value of those classes for some folks. But they're still going to need, IMHO, a lot of additional training and/or experience before most innkeepers (read me!) would feel comfortable leaving an inn in their hands.
But every innkeeper is different and that goes for interim innkeepers as much as owner/innkeepers. Some (like you, for instance) are natural innkeepers who take to the profession right away with little formal training. Some others may also have that natural inclination but need a little bit of classroom time as well as hands-on training.
BTW, I know you've been told on this site that you were really lucky to be trusted to innsit the first time with no experience. I actually see it the other way around. I think the owner of that inn, who was new at it herself at the time, was lucky to find a gem like you and knew it right away. She was one smart cookie to train you right then and there.

RIki.
Your rate structure is the only reason we are using an innsitter for this vacation rather than closing. We have used an innsitter before - a local couple of retired innkeepers - who were very reasonably priced, during a time when we were pretty full every day. But their health is not as good lately, so that wasn't an option. In the early spring, I could sit empty for a week or I could be full at the last minute. Heck, this week, I had about 4 room-nights rented on Monday and now I've got 22 (6 rooms over 4 nights). Paying $200/day plus travel expenses is just not a good deal for me - when I can forward a phone and do online reservations if I need to. Your way seems better to me.
I don't get the thing about not having housekeepers come in - even in the slow season I give mine a day or two a week so they have some money coming in and we do deep cleaning if there's nothing else. I hire part-timers with that understanding. When it's only a room or two, we take care of the turns ourselves, or I save them up for the housekeeper. That's what I would expect an innsitter to do - if the housekeeper wasn't going to be in that day, make sure there is a room or two for walk-ins and then let the housekeeper get paid to do her job.
Hey J, maybe I can surprise SueE and be an undercover pita guest. (Just kidding SueE)
cheers.gif

RIki.
Hey J, maybe I can surprise SueE and be an undercover pita guest. (Just kidding SueE)
cheers.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
maybe I can surprise SueE and be an undercover pita guest
Haha, and that would be undercover how?
angel_smile.gif

RIki.
cheers.gif

Hey, any paying guest means $ in my pocket - even if you would act like a Pita! Bring it on! Now if you want to take advantage of the freebie night it might be a clue as to who you might be!
I've often thought it would be fun to be an undercover guest at some of the places on this forum, but with such secrecy it is hard for me to figure out who is who!
Or maybe my next job will be checking up on Inn-sitters - I'd hire out undercover to see if they are doing a good job or not! Oh, the possibilities!

Innkeeper To Go said:
You know, I actually can see the value of those classes for some folks. But they're still going to need, IMHO, a lot of additional training and/or experience before most innkeepers (read me!) would feel comfortable leaving an inn in their hands.
But every innkeeper is different and that goes for interim innkeepers as much as owner/innkeepers. Some (like you, for instance) are natural innkeepers who take to the profession right away with little formal training. Some others may also have that natural inclination but need a little bit of classroom time as well as hands-on training.
BTW, I know you've been told on this site that you were really lucky to be trusted to innsit the first time with no experience. I actually see it the other way around. I think the owner of that inn, who was new at it herself at the time, was lucky to find a gem like you and knew it right away. She was one smart cookie to train you right then and there.
Yep, she and I consider ourselves to be really lucky to have met each other when we did - we have become more than boss and Inn-sitter - I consider her my friend! I'm sure you have similar relationships with the B&B's you work at also. I love this life!

RIki.
muirford said:
Paying $200/day plus travel expenses is just not a good deal for me - when I can forward a phone and do online reservations if I need to.
I couldn't agree more. I think $200 a day plus travel for a six room inn is just way too high. IMHO.

RIki.
muirford said:
Paying $200/day plus travel expenses is just not a good deal for me - when I can forward a phone and do online reservations if I need to.
I couldn't agree more. I think $200 a day plus travel for a six room inn is just way too high. IMHO.
Innkeeper To Go said:
muirford said:
Now don't misunderstand me - I am full aware that Suellen may make more than $200 a day in the end - but only if my revenue is more than $500 a day. Which it could be, with full weekends at $1100/day and a few weekdays at 50% or so. But she only makes that if I make that. That is the right kind of gamble to make.
I wouldn't do it even at that if I hadn't met Suellen, thought she would do a good job as an innsitter, and checked her references. Her initial foray here was pretty rocky - I don't happen to agree that raising children automatically qualifies you to run a B&B
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif
. Fortunately she has more experience than that now so I can feel comfortable with her handling of my baby. Plus if I don't forward the phones and take the online reservations, I can have a real vacation.

I think what you're finding are professional inn 'managers.' They will undertake your job for a flat fee IF you have staff that they will be directing to do the actual 'labor.' If you don't have staff then they expect to be paid for all aspects of the job. The management part, the housekeeping part, the front desk part, etc.
Remember everytime the someone does a 'report' on what a stay-at-home mom would get if she were paid? No one could afford to hire a mom!
However, if you have a large inn with staff and are busy year around, you cannot afford to close for vacation. There is too much missed opportunity. Even if you have to pay someone more than you bring in while they are there, you have not lost your momentum. There's something to be said for that.
(BTW, I close, I don't hire anyone because we always travel when it's very slow here.).
Morticia said:
Even if you have to pay someone more than you bring in while they are there, you have not lost your momentum. There's something to be said for that.
My experience is that significantly more revenue comes in during my stay than my fee. The inn I've been innsitting for the last 5 days, for instance, has averaged around $1400 per day. And I can assure you that I'm not getting paid anything close to that!
Innkeeper To Go said:
My experience is that significantly more revenue comes in during my stay than my fee. The inn I've been innsitting for the last 5 days, for instance, has averaged around $1400 per day. And I can assure you that I'm not getting paid anything close to that!
Wow, if you were sitting my inn and I saw you telling the universe what my inn was making I would NOT be happy...
Actually I didn't tell anyone on this forum where I'm innsitting, much for the same reason you keep information on this forum to yourself.
I appreciate your concern but I am a professional and take my responsibilities, including that to privacy, quite seriously.
In my opinion, divulging the financial information of any inn by an inn-sitter, no matter how untraceable or incognito, on a public forum is not sound practice.
Huh? How is untraceable or incognito (your words, not mine) divulging?
I'm so sorry they are ganging up on you today nice innkeeper to go lady! I knew I would be forgotten soon...don't you people have an Inn to run instead of spending your day bashing people? Some of you may want to learn to read as well. And I thought it was because I was the newcomer
devil_smile.gif
. MOST (not all) off you are offensive and hateful and can't read or take a sincere apology (therefore you would have read my apology to the almighty catlady instead of continuing to bash me).
Aren't there some toilets to be cleaned? Websites to be worked on? You must not have ANY business if you spend all day being nasty to people! Nice "Innkeeper to Go" lady said nice things about you guys yesterday and gave me the truth...now you are after her! Guess what! I am purposely being offensive now...so block me..de thread me or what ever else you wanna do...you people are cruel and bored.
Guess what! I am purposely being offensive now...so block me
Done.
Your axe to grind, too dull.
Your chip too large to shoulder.
Your rush to judgment too speedy.
The need for you stirring up trouble too small.

RIki.
muirford said:
Innkeeper To Go said:
muirford said:
Now don't misunderstand me - I am full aware that Suellen may make more than $200 a day in the end - but only if my revenue is more than $500 a day. Which it could be, with full weekends at $1100/day and a few weekdays at 50% or so. But she only makes that if I make that. That is the right kind of gamble to make.
I wouldn't do it even at that if I hadn't met Suellen, thought she would do a good job as an innsitter, and checked her references. Her initial foray here was pretty rocky - I don't happen to agree that raising children automatically qualifies you to run a B&B
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif
. Fortunately she has more experience than that now so I can feel comfortable with her handling of my baby. Plus if I don't forward the phones and take the online reservations, I can have a real vacation.
muirford said:
Plus if I don't forward the phones and take the online reservations, I can have a real vacation.
And that's the whole idea, isn't it? A real vacation.
Hope you have a wonderful one!

RIki.
suellen222 said:
Hi there.
Bear in mind while I think Jeannie and Walt are tops, innkeepers are an independant bunch and don't all think alike and don't all like the same things. Also while I know they have run other inns they have only turned rooms and checked in guests for me. But I do like them and their warm attitude towards customer service. They are very willing to roll with the punches which is our situation handling two businesses.
Their website is www . inn sit 4 u . com
I put in spaces because I don't want a live link here. I would rather share them and make sure they stay in business than try and keep them for myself and have them not suceed in these trying economic times.
They most probably have referrals from others. I know they will drive.
Best,
RIki

RIki.
suellen222 said:
Hi there.
Bear in mind while I think Jeannie and Walt are tops, innkeepers are an independant bunch and don't all think alike and don't all like the same things. Also while I know they have run other inns they have only turned rooms and checked in guests for me. But I do like them and their warm attitude towards customer service. They are very willing to roll with the punches which is our situation handling two businesses.
I put in spaces because I don't want a live link here. I would rather share them and make sure they stay in business than try and keep them for myself and have them not suceed in these trying economic times.
Best,
RIki
I can recommend these folks highly if someone is looking for innsitters: http://www.innyourplace.com/

RIki.
suellen222 said:
Hi there.
Best,
RIki
I can recommend these folks highly if someone is looking for innsitters: http://www.innyourplace.com/
Their rates seem reasonable as well.
ETA: Ooops, I didn't notice the additional charge based on occupied rooms, which is not listed on their website. Those can add up very quickly.

RIki.
suellen222 said:
Hi there.
Best,
RIki
ETA: Ooops, I didn't notice the additional charge based on occupied rooms, which is not listed on their website. Those can add up very quickly.
muirford said:
Yes, they have an hourly rate - I think Jeannie and Walt give a per room flip rate, but am not sure. It's on their website "Intermezzo" that I gave their web address earlier.
RIki

RIki.
suellen222 said:
Hi there.
Best,
RIki
Rlki,
Thank you for the information, but I see both innsit4u and innyourplace charge mileage - that is what the owner is trying to avoid, "this costs this much, this costs this much" - it all adds up and that is why owners think they can't afford to hire anyone like me. If it costs them more to keep their doors open I completely agree with them. That is why I operate on the philosophy of if you make money so do I! We're all happy!
I have spoken several times to Gwen Paton - very nice lady!

RIki.
suellen222 said:
Hi there.
Best,
RIki
Rlki,
Thank you for the information, but I see both innsit4u and innyourplace charge mileage - that is what the owner is trying to avoid, "this costs this much, this costs this much" - it all adds up and that is why owners think they can't afford to hire anyone like me. If it costs them more to keep their doors open I completely agree with them. That is why I operate on the philosophy of if you make money so do I! We're all happy!
suellen222 said:
Rlki,
You are welcome! But I can see why your inn is frustrated in finding an innsitter. I would not expect an innsitter to come all the way from another state without compensation - and they are only asking for one way mileage. I'm wondering if your inn has realistic expectations.
Riki

Back