Quantcast

Quotes for today August 17, 2009

INNspiring.com | Innkeeper Forum & Innkeeping Resources

Help Support INNspiring.com | Innkeeper Forum & Innkeeping Resources:

JBloggs

Reaction score
  • If you suffer, thank God! It is a sure sign that you are alive. -- Elbert Hubbard
  • Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped. -- ELbert Hubbard
  • Know what you want to do, hold the thought firmly, and do every day what should be done, and every sunset will see you that much nearer to your goal. --Elbert Hubbard
  • Do your work with your whole heart, and you will succeed - there's so little competition. --Elbert Hubbard
  • It's pretty hard to be efficient without being obnoxious. --Elbert Hubbard
  • Little minds are interested in the extraordinary; great minds in the commonplace. -- Elbert Hubbard
  • The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it. --Elbert Hubbard
  • We work to become, not to acquire. --Elbert Hubbard
  • The sculptor produces the beautiful statue by chipping away such parts of the marble block as are not needed - it is a process of elimination. --Elbert Hubbard
  • We are punished by our sins, not for them. --Elbert Huibbard
  • One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man. --Elbert Hubbard
  • A failure is a man who has blundered, but is not able to cash in the experience. --Elbert Hubbard
  • He has achieved success who has worked well, laughed often, and loved much.--Elbert Hubbard
  • There is no failure except in no longer trying. --Elbert Hubbard, American born 1856
  • Live truth instead of professing it. -- Elbert Hubbard
  • Often we can help each other most by leaving each other alone; at other times we need the hand-grasp and the word of cheer. --Elbert Hubbard
  • I would rather be able to appreciate things I can not have than to have things I am not able to appreciate. --Elbert Hubbard
  • The idea that is not dangerous is not worthy of being called an idea at all. --Elbert Hubbard
  • The man who doesn't relax and hoot a few hoots voluntarily, now and then, is in great danger of hooting hoots and standing on his head for the edification of the pathologist and trained nurse, a little later on. --Elbert Hubbard
  • Be pleasant until ten o'clock in the morning and the rest of the day will take care of itself. --Elbert Hubbard
  • To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing. --Elbert Hubbard

Penelope

Reaction score
An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.- Jeff Mallett

gillumhouse

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would rather be able to appreciate things I can not have than to have things I am not able to appreciate
Years ago I worked with a girl who had all sorts of lovely things and all the latest appliances with the bells and whistles (she replaced a perfectly good refrigerator to get on with the water/ice dispenser in the door and she gave me the old one). One night she told me she felt sorry for me. I asked whyever would she feel sorry for me? "Because you cannot have the things you admire." was her answer. That is when I asked her whatever made her think I had to HAVE everything I admired. I could look at something and appreciate its beauty without needing to own it.
All too often people confuse the admiration of something with the desire to own it.

Breakfast Diva

Reaction score
I would rather be able to appreciate things I can not have than to have things I am not able to appreciate
Years ago I worked with a girl who had all sorts of lovely things and all the latest appliances with the bells and whistles (she replaced a perfectly good refrigerator to get on with the water/ice dispenser in the door and she gave me the old one). One night she told me she felt sorry for me. I asked whyever would she feel sorry for me? "Because you cannot have the things you admire." was her answer. That is when I asked her whatever made her think I had to HAVE everything I admired. I could look at something and appreciate its beauty without needing to own it.
All too often people confuse the admiration of something with the desire to own it..
You are a wise woman.

Proud Texan

Reaction score
All too often people confuse the admiration of something with the desire to own it..
gillumhouse said:
Revised Standard Edition:
I would rather be able to have the things I want and appreciate them than to have the things I have now and don't appreciate because I wanted them. Because I really thought that at the time I would appreciate them but now that I have them I see that I might have appreciated them if they had been the things I really wanted.
Is that clear enough for you?

YellowSocks

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everybody needs something to do, someone to love, and something to look forward to.
My version: We all need a reason to get up and put our teeth in.
=)
Kk.

Latest posts