Rant - Irritating Day, Can't Wait For November!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MtnKeeper

Reaction score
Yesterday we awoke to a guest telling us that there had been water pouring from the ceiling outside his bedroom door. He put his trash barrel under it with a towel in it so that it didn't drip drop outside his door and the room beside his. Wonderful guy, would love the house full of him. My husband having built the house knew that it was just below the shower in the room above his and he figured they must have run the shower over (it's a handicap one so no high lip), perhaps two were in there and the curtain was completely out pouring water onto the floor. He figured he check with them when they came to breakfast to see if they had issues with the bathroom, only to find out when they didn't show that they had skipped out before 6:30 when we got up. Now have to deal with fixing the bubble it caused in the ceiling and repainting - hey, it's only foliage time here I got nothing else to do.
Then a guest tells us that he loved my kitchen and my dogs - yup, ran to store and my housekeeper let him in my PRIVATE SPACE - no one ever gets into my HOME, the door is always locked. Had to talk to her about that one nicely of course or she'll start crying like last week when I told her she needed to be done vacuuming the common spaces before 3pm as she can't do it during check-in. Came back from store to find her in the kitchen in full blown melt-down mode sobbing like a baby.
Housekeeper working like a snail today so get back from store with just 35 minutes before checkin and she yells out the window to me that she hasn't vacuumed any of the downstairs rooms she cleaned, I'll have to do that and she's still on the last room, needs another 20 minutes for that and the room beside it needs to be vacuumed too. Why? Because she doesn't listen and was trying to do laundry in between with only 4 hours to flip rooms including a jacuzzi room. All the while 3 different rooms show up to check in within 5 minutes more than 30 minutes early and their rooms aren't ready. One needed bathroom so I had to stop vacuuming, husband caught the next ones outside and told them we'd be ready in 30 minutes right at 3pm as we had to flip 6 rooms and weren't ready.
Guest checks in who booked last week and was paid in full because booking within cancellation policy. Hands me gift certificate saying he didn't know where to put the info (NOTES section maybe) -- and he needs it applied and a credit to his card. More fees for me, yeah.
Another guest checks in and I run all balances the morning of arrival as our reservation confirmation says. Hands a different card with US money on it and wants to change her payment (luckily I could just void her charge so no fees on that one, but more work during busy checkin time). She then tells hubby that she's now eating gluten free even though our system says we need 72 hours notice of any dietary restrictions. Already have a vegan who I'm cooking special for so 3 different breakfasts this morning.
Guest who booked two days ago after calling to say he was "trying to get out of his other reservation because he'd rather stay with me" (what a jerk canceling on someone last minute), arrives for breakfast and tells my husband that he won't sit in the dining room like everyone else, he wants to eat on the deck. We don't serve out there because the opening doors and let in flies and my husband can't open and close the door while carrying plates of food and has to pass between two other tables with no where to lay plates down to get door. Logistically a pain in the butt - but last time we mentioned to guests that we serve indoors, another guest gave us a bad review because they heard us tell someone no. They marked us down from a 5 to a 4 because we said we serve indoors to a guest!!!! So they eat out there and then more guests come and want to eat out there and so the day begins again. Can't wait for November when I'm only open weekends and only have guests 11 days of the entire month and a whole week closed while hubby goes away.

You deserve a big hug today, here's one from me
heart.gif

Tomorrow is a new day. (More issues tomorrow, but aren't we glad we don't have them today!)

One day at a time. That's all we can do. I'm sorry it's been a tough couple days for you. Just keep coming back to rant...that's why we're here. Hugs
heart.gif

Ugh! I'm praying for November as well....
When I designed my new bathroom, I put a drain in the middle of the room. Too many surprises otherwise. Oddly enough, they reformulated the toilet paper size recently and now I seem to have more people asking for a plunger. Damn you, Costco for changing the toilet paper size!

When I designed my new bathroom, I put a drain in the middle of the room. Too many surprises otherwise. Oddly enough, they reformulated the toilet paper size recently and now I seem to have more people asking for a plunger. Damn you, Costco for changing the toilet paper size!.
Jon Sable said:
When I designed my new bathroom, I put a drain in the middle of the room. Too many surprises otherwise. Oddly enough, they reformulated the toilet paper size recently and now I seem to have more people asking for a plunger. Damn you, Costco for changing the toilet paper size!
In some countries it is mandatory. Why oh why not here, we would never have these problems.

When I designed my new bathroom, I put a drain in the middle of the room. Too many surprises otherwise. Oddly enough, they reformulated the toilet paper size recently and now I seem to have more people asking for a plunger. Damn you, Costco for changing the toilet paper size!.
Jon Sable said:
In some countries it is mandatory. Why oh why not here, we would never have these problems.
And while it cost me a little extra, it was nothing compared to what the flood would cost. So remember, when renovating... a drain in the main floor of the bathroom is a life saver!

I am sooooo sorry you are having to deal with these numbnutz people. Keep the Innspiring Mantra running through your head - it helps in those times you want to rip heads off: They Stay, they PAY, they GO AWAY.
You have just made me grateful that all I had was a 7 AM breakfast yesterday (alarm going off at 5) and 6 AM today (did enough last night that I could sleep in until 4:30). Horse people both days.

Ouch. I don't think I'm in possession of it at the moment, but you should have the PITA award today.

Thanks everyone, I'm feeling better now after a lunch date with my hubby and some friends. While it makes us the most money to get us through tough winters, I HATE FOLIAGE SEASON!!!! I'm too busy to enjoy the beauty and it just seems we get more and more problems every foliage. Off to take the cookies out of the oven, I'm glad I'm feeling better or I might eat a dozen myself today. Thanks for the hugs.

Thanks everyone, I'm feeling better now after a lunch date with my hubby and some friends. While it makes us the most money to get us through tough winters, I HATE FOLIAGE SEASON!!!! I'm too busy to enjoy the beauty and it just seems we get more and more problems every foliage. Off to take the cookies out of the oven, I'm glad I'm feeling better or I might eat a dozen myself today. Thanks for the hugs..
MtnKeeper said:
Thanks everyone, I'm feeling better now after a lunch date with my hubby and some friends. While it makes us the most money to get us through tough winters, I HATE FOLIAGE SEASON!!!! I'm too busy to enjoy the beauty and it just seems we get more and more problems every foliage. Off to take the cookies out of the oven, I'm glad I'm feeling better or I might eat a dozen myself today. Thanks for the hugs.
It's such a Catch 22. We need the season (for me it's the whole summer) to get us through the slower seasons, and kill ourselves to do it, missing all the special events and happenings around town. I feel like my life is slipping away while I tend to everyone else's needs :( I'm glad you are feeling better. Enjoy those cookies :)

The worst part, on top of everything else, is that you don't get to enjoy the most beautiful time of year where you live. I feel the same way where I live. Everyone else is outside enjoying the beautiful weather and foliage and I'm stuck inside working. Glad the cookies helped. But if you can, try to take a 15-min. walk each day just for the good of your soul. It makes a huge difference for me when I can do that.

The worst part, on top of everything else, is that you don't get to enjoy the most beautiful time of year where you live. I feel the same way where I live. Everyone else is outside enjoying the beautiful weather and foliage and I'm stuck inside working. Glad the cookies helped. But if you can, try to take a 15-min. walk each day just for the good of your soul. It makes a huge difference for me when I can do that..
Country Girl said:
The worst part, on top of everything else, is that you don't get to enjoy the most beautiful time of year where you live. I feel the same way where I live. Everyone else is outside enjoying the beautiful weather and foliage and I'm stuck inside working. Glad the cookies helped. But if you can, try to take a 15-min. walk each day just for the good of your soul. It makes a huge difference for me when I can do that.
We make it a point to enjoy the season, even if only for 10 minutes a day.
After we put breakfast out, we sit by our pond and feed the fish. Coffee, morning sun. We take that time for ourselves. And in the evening, we have a private area out back where we grill our dinner and enjoy the stars. I admit, we didn't get to the golf course or get a chance to take the kayaks out more than once, but we did get outside. I would have liked more 'us' time. But that's what God made Florida for. We'll get some beach time on vacation.

we are popped running on over 90% occupancy since April - has to send chamber maid home yesterday at lunch time (we have 11 rooms) as has really bad hemorrhoids and is having massive bleeding - sent her with her partner to A&E it was soo bad - they think there is something wrong with her stomach as well and because of the bleeding its Anemia as well - so DH and I have finished off 4 rooms yesterday and 7 today - she should be back in tomorrow but likley will have to have a couple of weeks off for lazering at some point in the future.
|DH dares to say I don't mind doing rooms - pointed out he will have a 3 hour nap this afternoon and I'll be left catching up on all the stuff we didn't do while doing rooms!

Drain in the middle of the sloped bath floor. I had one in my bath in the Orient / Far East as its most common in baths there. Great for cleaning too.

Thanks everyone, I'm feeling better now after a lunch date with my hubby and some friends. While it makes us the most money to get us through tough winters, I HATE FOLIAGE SEASON!!!! I'm too busy to enjoy the beauty and it just seems we get more and more problems every foliage. Off to take the cookies out of the oven, I'm glad I'm feeling better or I might eat a dozen myself today. Thanks for the hugs..
MtnKeeper said:
It's such a Catch 22. We need the season (for me it's the whole summer) to get us through the slower seasons, and kill ourselves to do it, missing all the special events and happenings around town. I feel like my life is slipping away while I tend to everyone else's needs :( I'm glad you are feeling better. Enjoy those cookies :)
My thoughts exactly. I had to run and pickup truffles and cider for a incoming guests last week on a busy day because the Dad who stayed here before wanted to make his daughter have a special evening. I of course had to be nice because they're repeat guests and not tell him that my day was already more than full. I was so busy that day and irritated that I had to make sure his daughter had a special day while it was making mine more stressful. People have no clue what it takes to run a place like ours and think we're just sitting around. I told my husband that I'm sick of my life making sure that everyone else has the most enjoyable getaways and weekends while mine are full of stress and work. I only got to kayak once this year and had to be back by checkin time. Not gonna be doing this for another 10 years - working on plan to be done in 5 years being open year round and then I'll work 5 months a year here and then those other 7 months are gonna be mine, mine, mine -- walking the beach each morning after my coffee and watching the sunset each night with a mojito or martini in hand. Here's to my plan coming true, especially after a day like yesterday.
By the way, I've told my husband and kids that I know there's a special cloud up in heaven that all the good innkeepers get to hang out on - no past guests allowed, where we'll be treated like royalty since we've dedicated our lives to making everyone else's time special.

MtnKeeper said:
My thoughts exactly. I had to run and pickup truffles and cider for a incoming guests last week on a busy day because the Dad who stayed here before wanted to make his daughter have a special evening. I of course had to be nice because they're repeat guests and not tell him that my day was already more than full. I was so busy that day and irritated that I had to make sure his daughter had a special day while it was making mine more stressful. People have no clue what it takes to run a place like ours and think we're just sitting around. I told my husband that I'm sick of my life making sure that everyone else has the most enjoyable getaways and weekends while mine are full of stress and work. I only got to kayak once this year and had to be back by checkin time. Not gonna be doing this for another 10 years - working on plan to be done in 5 years being open year round and then I'll work 5 months a year here and then those other 7 months are gonna be mine, mine, mine -- walking the beach each morning after my coffee and watching the sunset each night with a mojito or martini in hand. Here's to my plan coming true, especially after a day like yesterday.
By the way, I've told my husband and kids that I know there's a special cloud up in heaven that all the good innkeepers get to hang out on - no past guests allowed, where we'll be treated like royalty since we've dedicated our lives to making everyone else's time special.
I know what you mean. Our wedding anniversary was smack dab in the middle of a busy weekend and we had everything booked but one room. All we're staying over and they encouraged us to go out for the night. They said they would be fine. On our way to Town (an hour way) got a call for the fourth room. How much? Private bath not ensuite? Hmmm. We'll think about it. Fine. Continue driving and literally pull up in front of the restaurant. Get another call. Hi. It's us again. We'll take the room. Okay I say. But I'm not at the house. It'll be another hour before we can turn around and come back. It's okay, they say. We're already there. Your other guests let us in. (?!@$!!) but they ended up going out for supper themselves. We still had our anniversary supper ( a little rushed) and they ended up being great. It was their first B&B experience and they loved every minute of it! Go figure.

MtnKeeper said:
I know what you mean. Our wedding anniversary was smack dab in the middle of a busy weekend and we had everything booked but one room. All we're staying over and they encouraged us to go out for the night. They said they would be fine. On our way to Town (an hour way) got a call for the fourth room. How much? Private bath not ensuite? Hmmm. We'll think about it. Fine. Continue driving and literally pull up in front of the restaurant. Get another call. Hi. It's us again. We'll take the room. Okay I say. But I'm not at the house. It'll be another hour before we can turn around and come back. It's okay, they say. We're already there. Your other guests let us in. (?!@$!!) but they ended up going out for supper themselves. We still had our anniversary supper ( a little rushed) and they ended up being great. It was their first B&B experience and they loved every minute of it! Go figure.
2cat_lady said:
Guess what? It is OK to say there is no room at the inn. OK, it would mean the loss of one night of revenue but you will only have THAT anniversary once - next year is a different anniversary.
I took one over Labor Day when I had blocked everything so I could go to my Class Reunion. WHY? because he was coming in for his Mother's funeral and I knew there WAS no other room that weekend. I bought a gift card for breakfast for my stay-over couple (gave them the choice of 2 restaurants I knew WOULD be open), told the man how to get to my house from the cemetery, told him the door would be unlocked, where his room and bathroom were, left a note for each couple to write breakfast time, and told the inn-coming I would see him Sunday morning. If this had not been acceptable, he would have been told no. He ended up booking 2 nights instead of the original one.
We have often celebrated our anniversaries weeks after the event due to work schedules or kid schedules in our previous life and still do our celebrating when it is convenient for our schedules. But once the date is set for our celebration, it does not change unless it is REALLY important. (And I am not financially in clover - struggle stealing from Peter to pay Paul is the story of my life.)

This rolls just are not fitting well on the holder!

This rolls just are not fitting well on the holder!
I complained to Costco about that too. They are too wide for this country. Different countries, different standards.

Its been along summer and yes ready for a few slow nights ( God I hate saying that being the business person that I am) But my poor assistant innkeeper is getting burnt out already and this is her first summer. But we all need a break. To all of my fellow innkeepers A big hug for you to get thru October

Back