Rearranging guestrooms

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go the more versatile route. I know it is more work but with the new arrangement, not only is there more space and view from the queen (main sleeping space) but you now have another option for room use which means more ways to sell.
cheers.gif
Same versatility...the 2 beds have always been in the room. I think that's what you were referring to.
No I was referring to being able to sell it as a 2 room suite with next room. I am assuming that the door you were referring to was a door leading directly to the next room. If I am right, the previous set up you must have had the door blocked?
Nope, the door has always operable. Only the beds faced the same direction so if the doors were open you couldn't see the other bed from your bed (in either room).
I have a floor plan on my website that explains in pictures what I'm talking about.
I guess you have to ask, "What is the optimal goal here?" Guest comfort, guest mobility in the rooms, or maximizing your bookings revenue. Then, go from there.
As a guest, I want my suitcase easily accessible to me. I think that might be true for most folks. Can you use the hallway space to free up something else in the room? An area for them to store shopping purchases or other stuff like that? Something else that they need sometimes, but not always like extra pillows or blankets? How would you use that room & hall/landing space if you were staying there (based on your history now that you know about your average guest)?
My observation here is that folks draw the drapes, wood blinds, shades, even if no one can see in their rooms and they're just sitting in there during the day when you're in an urban location. So, unless the view is of mountains or ocean or something like that, how important is it??
Funny how you can have an epiphany about how a room could be set up better....last week I just swapped a chair & desk location in one room & it makes the room look a lot bigger & I like where the chair is now in a nice cozy corner. I noticed when I was deep cleaning that you couldn't really see the TV from where the chair previously was anyway. Now, it's in a nice reading nook. Doh!
smileystooges.gif

What used to be out there in the hallway was an old pot belly stove with a plant on it (that's back out there) and a hope chest with the 'parts' for making the twin bed into a daybed. I don't do that anymore, too much work swapping daybed for sleeping bed. So, I don't need the hope chest in the hallway.
Most guests don't use the hallway space at all. If I put the new boot trays out there, they wouldn't get used I'm guessing. I think I'm just going to put the upright chair out there, guests can use it to put shoes on if they want and it will free up some room. I still haven't been up there today to see if I like it the new way. (Too damn cold in the inn.)
Ultimate goal? To make the room comfortable and usable. I actually like waking up to an outside view. I can't do that for myself because I need the darkness now to get to sleep. But, when I'm up and just reading in bed, I like looking outside. So, I guess it doesn't matter too much to the guest as no one has ever said they wished they could see out the window and everyone loves that room as it was.
I agree with Copperhead...if you're banging into stuff, then so are the guests. Especially with all their stuff.
Some friends used a large straw hamper as a trash can during the holidays (lined with a plastic bag of course). I noticed that it was fairly narrow but held a lot of trash (disposal plates, cups, etc) & was in a small corner of their hall. Could you use those in your guest rooms as trash cans for all that shopping debris? :)
The trash really isn't a problem when they are in the rooms, it's when they leave and then it's not their problem! There are days when the cans are overflowing, but not enough to make a change to a bigger trash can. Usually the trash is piled neatly on the floor- newspapers, shoeboxes, shopping bags. Then all the packaging the items came in. Some guests even pack it all nicely into a couple of shopping bags. And then the soda bottles, water bottles, wine bottles! If I could do anything additional it would be to put recycle cans in the rooms.
If I could do anything additional it would be to put recycle cans in the rooms.
Is this an option for that hallway you have been talking about? think of all those 5 cent refunds or is it 10 cents now?

Go the more versatile route. I know it is more work but with the new arrangement, not only is there more space and view from the queen (main sleeping space) but you now have another option for room use which means more ways to sell.
cheers.gif
Same versatility...the 2 beds have always been in the room. I think that's what you were referring to.
No I was referring to being able to sell it as a 2 room suite with next room. I am assuming that the door you were referring to was a door leading directly to the next room. If I am right, the previous set up you must have had the door blocked?
Nope, the door has always operable. Only the beds faced the same direction so if the doors were open you couldn't see the other bed from your bed (in either room).
I have a floor plan on my website that explains in pictures what I'm talking about.
I guess you have to ask, "What is the optimal goal here?" Guest comfort, guest mobility in the rooms, or maximizing your bookings revenue. Then, go from there.
As a guest, I want my suitcase easily accessible to me. I think that might be true for most folks. Can you use the hallway space to free up something else in the room? An area for them to store shopping purchases or other stuff like that? Something else that they need sometimes, but not always like extra pillows or blankets? How would you use that room & hall/landing space if you were staying there (based on your history now that you know about your average guest)?
My observation here is that folks draw the drapes, wood blinds, shades, even if no one can see in their rooms and they're just sitting in there during the day when you're in an urban location. So, unless the view is of mountains or ocean or something like that, how important is it??
Funny how you can have an epiphany about how a room could be set up better....last week I just swapped a chair & desk location in one room & it makes the room look a lot bigger & I like where the chair is now in a nice cozy corner. I noticed when I was deep cleaning that you couldn't really see the TV from where the chair previously was anyway. Now, it's in a nice reading nook. Doh!
smileystooges.gif

What used to be out there in the hallway was an old pot belly stove with a plant on it (that's back out there) and a hope chest with the 'parts' for making the twin bed into a daybed. I don't do that anymore, too much work swapping daybed for sleeping bed. So, I don't need the hope chest in the hallway.
Most guests don't use the hallway space at all. If I put the new boot trays out there, they wouldn't get used I'm guessing. I think I'm just going to put the upright chair out there, guests can use it to put shoes on if they want and it will free up some room. I still haven't been up there today to see if I like it the new way. (Too damn cold in the inn.)
Ultimate goal? To make the room comfortable and usable. I actually like waking up to an outside view. I can't do that for myself because I need the darkness now to get to sleep. But, when I'm up and just reading in bed, I like looking outside. So, I guess it doesn't matter too much to the guest as no one has ever said they wished they could see out the window and everyone loves that room as it was.
I agree with Copperhead...if you're banging into stuff, then so are the guests. Especially with all their stuff.
Some friends used a large straw hamper as a trash can during the holidays (lined with a plastic bag of course). I noticed that it was fairly narrow but held a lot of trash (disposal plates, cups, etc) & was in a small corner of their hall. Could you use those in your guest rooms as trash cans for all that shopping debris? :)
The trash really isn't a problem when they are in the rooms, it's when they leave and then it's not their problem! There are days when the cans are overflowing, but not enough to make a change to a bigger trash can. Usually the trash is piled neatly on the floor- newspapers, shoeboxes, shopping bags. Then all the packaging the items came in. Some guests even pack it all nicely into a couple of shopping bags. And then the soda bottles, water bottles, wine bottles! If I could do anything additional it would be to put recycle cans in the rooms.
If I could do anything additional it would be to put recycle cans in the rooms.
Is this an option for that hallway you have been talking about? think of all those 5 cent refunds or is it 10 cents now?
That hallway only serves one room. But, I also wouldn't put what would be viewed as a 'trash can' in the hallway. Because, no matter, it would have trash in it. Guests throw trash in my pottery arrangement on the hearth. (I have 7 or so fairly old saltware and other containers arranged on the hearth. I regularly find candy wrappers and assorted trash thrown in them.)
I sort the trash, so those redeemables don't get thrown away. I bet it amounts to $10/month in the summer- 5, 10 or 15 cents at a time.

Hubs just looked at the new arrangement. He likes it because it seems to make the room bigger. We will, however, have to get creative with the artwork to cover some of the damaged wallpaper.

Hubs just looked at the new arrangement. He likes it because it seems to make the room bigger. We will, however, have to get creative with the artwork to cover some of the damaged wallpaper..
What a great opportunity to get a few new pieces of artwork for that room!
regular_smile.gif

Hubs just looked at the new arrangement. He likes it because it seems to make the room bigger. We will, however, have to get creative with the artwork to cover some of the damaged wallpaper..
What a great opportunity to get a few new pieces of artwork for that room!
regular_smile.gif

That's the plan for Thursday...shopping for furniture, artwork and assorted other little things.

Wir bieten schöne Heimkehr Kleider zu günstige Preisen online. Custom Heimkehr Kleider design nach dem Foto. So einfach finden Sie Ihr Traum Heimkehr Kleider.
Die romantische Meerjungfrau Hochzeitskleid ist eine einfache, aber elegante Kleidung. Dieses Kleid ist so konzipiert, damit Sie sehen sehr charmanten Stil und Flair für Ihre Veranstaltung perfekt. Wenn Sie eine große Schlüsselbein, breite Schultern, lange abendkleider günstig lange abendkleider günstig schöne Arme und keine haben abenmode abenmode, das ist definitiv das Kleid für Sie. Es ist das Kleid, brautkleider katalog online das du jemals romantisch für Ihren besonderen Anlass.
Sie können wählen ein Design Stil eines trägerlosen und rückenfreie. Das schafft Vertrauen in Ihren großen Tag, wenn Sie nicht mit trägerlosen Kleidern zufrieden sind. Die Gurte helfen das Kleid in einer Weise kleider ballkleider , die Ihnen das Vertrauen im Gegensatz zu den Klammern, die von der Büste gehört. Allerdings kleid blumenkinder , wenn Sie brechen Ihr Vertrauen ist die beste Option für die Bewegung Trägern.
Auf der anderen Seite, brautkleider brautmode brautkleider brautmode günstige abschlussballkleider wenn deine Liebe zurück ist, brautmode empire stil brautmode empire stil nur das Kleid für Sie. Die romantische Meerjungfrau Kleid Hochzeitskleid mit einem Halfter, empire stil brautkleid wo Sie Ihren Rücken für Ihre schönen großen Tag zeigen kann. Allerdings, wenn Sie zurück sind bequem mit dem Rücken, gibt es eine Option für sie. Dies ist ein Kleid entworfen, um Ihre schönsten Träume für Ihre Hochzeit zu erfüllen.
Das gesamte Design ist ein Stand der Technik. Mit diesem Kleid finden Sie garantiert Ihre schöne Figur zu verbessern. Das Kleid ist aus einem leichten Baumwoll-Material, das auf Ihren Körper fällt für eine beruhigende Gefühl, und sie besitzen einen reibungslosen Ablauf a. Es ist Ihr Körper flach in der Brust bis zu den Knöcheln schlichte brautkleider , schwang Ihren Körper schöner Körper mit großer Faszination. Der Boden ist glatt und die Füße breit verbirgt den Stil.
Erschwerend kommt hinzu, gibt es verschiedene Größen für alle. Wenn Sie kleine Brüste und breite Hüften oder Körpergröße haben, gibt es verschiedene Kleidung für Sie konzipiert. Lassen Sie sich nicht Ihre Größe Ihrer Sündenbock sein, können Sie wählen, was Ihnen am besten passt und genießen Sie Ihren großen Tag in besonderer Weise.
brautmode und abendmode

[h1]Steelers Jersey[/h1]
[h1]Steelers Authentic Jersey[/h1]
[h1]Troy Polamalu Authentic Jersey[/h1]
[h1]Ben Roethlisberger Authentic Jersey[/h1]
[h1]Maurkice Pouncey Authentic Jersey[/h1]
[h1]Hines Ward Authentic Jersey[/h1]
[h1]Rashard Mendenhall Authentic Jersey[/h1]
[h1]James Harrison Authentic Jersey[/h1]
[h1]Lamarr Woodley Authentic Jersey[/h1]
[h1]Mike Wallace Authentic Jersey[/h1]
[h1]Aaron Smith Jersey[/h1]