Regional Differences

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Central Pennsylvanians (home of the whoopie pie, no matter what those Maineiacs say) eat ketchup on their eggs. I had to correct someone who thought it was a West Virginia thing when I offered it. We always put out hot sauce for eggs and apple butter from our local fire department when we have toast.

No one here eats ketchup with their eggs... I don't have any in the house and it is strictly verbotten to bring it into the house.... childhood trauma. The closest thing in the house is hot sauce and that's what you get if you ask me for ketchup. And only Americans have ever asked me for ketchup.
Only Americans ever ask me for lemon for their tea.
The British like their cereal with their breakfast. Often sacrificing having my famous hot breakfast dishes.
The French often ask me for hot milk for their coffee.

Central Pennsylvanians (home of the whoopie pie, no matter what those Maineiacs say) eat ketchup on their eggs. I had to correct someone who thought it was a West Virginia thing when I offered it. We always put out hot sauce for eggs and apple butter from our local fire department when we have toast..
Perhaps it bled over the border like redd up did, but we did ketchup on eggs in WV northern panhandle also.

No one here eats ketchup with their eggs... I don't have any in the house and it is strictly verbotten to bring it into the house.... childhood trauma. The closest thing in the house is hot sauce and that's what you get if you ask me for ketchup. And only Americans have ever asked me for ketchup.
The British like their cereal with their breakfast. Often sacrificing having my famous hot breakfast dishes.
The French often ask me for hot milk for their coffee..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
What about iced tea?
In Ireland last year we stayed at a B&B near the Shannon airport and, being hot and tired from a day on the road, my sister asked for iced tea. The owner said she'd never made that before, but she'd give it a try. She eventually brought a pitcher of tea with 2 little ice cubes in it.
We expressed our gratitude. 'Twas better than nothing, I guess.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
What about iced tea?
In Ireland last year we stayed at a B&B near the Shannon airport and, being hot and tired from a day on the road, my sister asked for iced tea. The owner said she'd never made that before, but she'd give it a try. She eventually brought a pitcher of tea with 2 little ice cubes in it.
Refigerators are smaller in Europe. We grew up with a few ice cubes in cold drinks. I don't understand the habit here in the US of filling the entire glass full of ice and getting only a little drink. Would rather have a couple of ice cubes and a glass of what I'm drinking. Never got used to that here.
When I first moved back I also could not understand the compulsion of adults here wanting straws in everything they drank. Finally realized with all the ice in the dang glass you need a straw to be able to drink out of it!
RIki

Eric Arthur Blair said:
What about iced tea?
Refigerators are smaller in Europe. We grew up with a few ice cubes in cold drinks. I don't understand the habit here in the US of filling the entire glass full of ice and getting only a little drink. Would rather have a couple of ice cubes and a glass of what I'm drinking. Never got used to that here.
When I first moved back I also could not understand the compulsion of adults here wanting straws in everything they drank. Finally realized with all the ice in the dang glass you need a straw to be able to drink out of it!
RIki
egoodell said:
We grew up with a few ice cubes in cold drinks. I don't understand the habit here in the US of filling the entire glass full of ice and getting only a little drink.
I agree, I hate it when they put ice to the top of the glass then it only holds about a cup of liquid. But there's a happy medium. In Europe, if you ask for ice, it's still common to get two, at most three, small ice cubes in a cold drink, resulting in a drink that's just cool, not cold. Give me half a glass of ice and I'll be happy.
I've argued this with my European friends many times. I've even heard them claim that it's not healthy to drink ice cold drinks. I said, you eat ice cream, don't you? It's frozen. They agreed, and said they hadn't thought of it that way. Personal preferences rely on what you're used to, what you're raised on.
I'll never forget once when we went to the Memphis airport to pick up my aunt from New York. We stopped to eat on the way home and she ordered tea to drink. She pitched a fit when they brought her iced tea, saying if she'd wanted iced tea, she'd have asked for it. In the south, if you ask for tea, iced is assumed.
In fact, in the last couple of years here, the word tea is no longer even mentioned at restaurants. When they ask what you'll have to drink, you just answer "sweet" or "unsweet" and they know what you mean.

My Brits today told me they pinched the mugs. I saw a puzzled look on the TN couples face at that.
I took my girls to a show and dinner at our favorite Chinese restaurant last night. Always fresh hot flavorful and great service.
The waiter came to the table and looked at the girls specifically and said "I hope you enjoy your food very much" and bowed and walked away. It was adorable.
So this morning I told this story and said it to the table. No one got it. No one smiled or anything. Sometimes there are people who have to be the "witty" ones, where everything they say has to be witty, to the annoyance of everyone else, and it they are not the witty one, then they won't laugh at anyone else's wit. Just an observation. "Beautiful day! 75 today, blue skies" reply - "well the sun is always shining on the righteous"
Trust me I like to laugh and I love humor. Just not off sided seemingly self "witty" comments after every thing you say.
Okay got that off my chest...bye!

Central Pennsylvanians (home of the whoopie pie, no matter what those Maineiacs say) eat ketchup on their eggs. I had to correct someone who thought it was a West Virginia thing when I offered it. We always put out hot sauce for eggs and apple butter from our local fire department when we have toast..
Perhaps it bled over the border like redd up did, but we did ketchup on eggs in WV northern panhandle also.
In spain they eat strawberry Jelly (Jam) on their jacket potatoes.

Canadians: coffee with breakfast; tea after dinner
Brits: tea with breakfast; coffee after dinner (and not decaf!)

Brits: tea with breakfast; coffee after dinner (and not decaf!).
happyjacks said:
Brits: tea with breakfast; coffee after dinner (and not decaf!)
None of my Brits have tea with breakfast. They have afternoon tea, or even a cup before breakfast, but then launch into the coffee. Tons of sugar and cream, of course. :)

Eric Arthur Blair said:
What about iced tea?
RIki
We hardly ever use ice for water or drinks. The water from the tap is cool in the summer and stone cold in the winter. We always order drinks without ice and well we get more drink for the money and the ice just dilutes it... until we were in Florida one summer and got served a very very warm Diet Coke.

Was reminded of another one this morning- no sausage with breakfast for Germans. She was aghast and said so, in German, 'Sausage! In the morning?!' and I replied to her, in English, 'That's how we do it here.' She was embarrassed that I understood her. With the face she made, what else could she have been saying? It wasn't too hard to figure it out.

The first time I had peanut butter and jelly in the US as a child, I wouldn't eat it. It was so odd to us to have peanut butter and grape jelly. Heck, we didn't even have grape jelly at home. It was always strawberry, raspberry or marmalade.

Euros are also surprised that the milk is in the fridge and are not overly happy that it makes their tea or coffee cooler than they are used to. They tend to use the mini moos rather than the cream that's on ice. There is also a tendency to leave the milk on the counter after they use it rather than put it back in the fridge.
And they want much, much smaller portions. If they see the breakfast going by they almost all stop me and ask for much less, 'Only one pancake (or french toast), please.' Or half an omelet. Or one egg.

The first time I had peanut butter and jelly in the US as a child, I wouldn't eat it. It was so odd to us to have peanut butter and grape jelly. Heck, we didn't even have grape jelly at home. It was always strawberry, raspberry or marmalade.
I started keeping grape jelly on hand after so many guests asked for it. Now, I haven't opened the jar in months. Strawberry, raspberry and marmalade. Top 3 every time. However, PB&J, with grape jelly is/was a staple kid food here. Now kids can't have peanuts anywhere around them unless they're at home so it is disappearing off menus everywhere. Cream cheese and grape jelly was another childhood staple.
Never knew there was any other kind of jelly but grape until my first restaurant at age 16 and they had them in little packs on the table. All different flavors. Amazing.

my guests from france asked for wine in the morning ... apparently they drink it throughout the day? so they asked if they could bring some in themselves which was fine. i don't know if this was just these people or a cultural thing. and tea.
they were accustomed to great bread. i picked up a beautiful crusty loaf which they devoured at the first breakfast.
they delighted in one fresh egg each from my egg man which they told me they didn't usually have. and they also brought to the table a wedge of cheese one day.
they ate 3 breakfasts with me, all the same. they did not want waffles or pancakes or quiche, just bread. the first day, they found a lovely little bakery in their travels and brought back all kinds of bread. baguettes and croissants and loaves.
they did offer to share with others what they had. it was quite interesting..
That's odd - I grew up in Europe and we never ate cereal for breakfast. Is that the Brits or also the Continent? In Switzerland and Germany I recall wonderful bread, butter, fruit and cheese for breakfast.
Riki
egoodell said:
That's odd - I grew up in Europe and we never ate cereal for breakfast. Is that the Brits or also the Continent? In Switzerland and Germany I recall wonderful bread, butter, fruit and cheese for breakfast.
Riki
UK, Germany, Italy, Spain, The Netherlands.
in the more eastern european countrys they tend to have sliced meats and sliced cheeses with really fresh bread orange juice and cornflakes for breakfast. I like the french version hot buttered fresh crossants ripped into bits and dipped in hot chocolate - makes a right fricking mess mind.

I started keeping grape jelly on hand after so many guests asked for it. Now, I haven't opened the jar in months. Strawberry, raspberry and marmalade. Top 3 every time. However, PB&J, with grape jelly is/was a staple kid food here. Now kids can't have peanuts anywhere around them unless they're at home so it is disappearing off menus everywhere. Cream cheese and grape jelly was another childhood staple.
Never knew there was any other kind of jelly but grape until my first restaurant at age 16 and they had them in little packs on the table. All different flavors. Amazing.
My Cocoa Raspberry is quite popular.
I don't own grape, never have. I haven't ever owned any, either. That's right, if Welch's relied on me, they would be in bankruptcy already.

Eric PB&J is cheap, was cheap. That's what us po-fokes ate for lunch. Around here the kids show up with a cold biscuit in their lunch, or gvmt lunches.

Eric PB&J is cheap, was cheap. That's what us po-fokes ate for lunch. Around here the kids show up with a cold biscuit in their lunch, or gvmt lunches..
Joey Bloggs said:
Eric PB&J is cheap, was cheap. That's what us po-fokes ate for lunch. Around here the kids show up with a cold biscuit in their lunch, or gvmt lunches.
I never knew we were poor until I went to high school and other kids had big houses and lots of clothes.

Eric PB&J is cheap, was cheap. That's what us po-fokes ate for lunch. Around here the kids show up with a cold biscuit in their lunch, or gvmt lunches..
Joey Bloggs said:
I never knew we were poor until I went to high school and other kids had big houses and lots of clothes.
Madeleine said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Oddly enough the poorest kids here have the most expensive clothes. (speaking of the peer pressure at my kids high school). Even Dh in his school uniforms growing up compared shoe brands. Oh wait, you said UNTIL in high school. Yeah my kids WANTED to buy the walmart clothes here in elementary as the other kids had the same! I was thrilled by that. :)
PB&J is standard fare. Now they delivery pizza to the schools. Dh never had meat in any sandwich (vegemite or peanut butter), but never meat.

Back