Remodeling the Avenue

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DW was shooting some progress pics last night. This is the second one I looked at this morning. It's a good shot of the skim coated walls and the handrail we had to strip off the latex over oil leprosy effect. The most interesting thing are the "orbs" up at the turn landing! If you look at those ghost hunter websites you'll see lots of spirit orb pics. This is the first time we have had these show up in any pics we have taken with this camera. Yes, we were doing a lot of sanding this weekend so it could be dust but considering we were built in the 1880s AND there have been "sighting" reports in the house, perhaps some of the old ones are checking out our work
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

stair%20orbs.jpg
Progress looks great. I'm inclined to think that's dust on your lens though considering you're working with plaster.
ghostsmiley.gif

DW got the walls papered in the fireplace parlor yesterday. The gas insert that should have been there is stalled. The installers can't navigate the roof pitch to drop in the chimney liner......doubt if they had snorkel booms to build that roof
angry_smile.gif
Ceiling paper going up today
regular_smile.gif

fp%20parlor%20wallpaper.jpg

DW got the walls papered in the fireplace parlor yesterday. The gas insert that should have been there is stalled. The installers can't navigate the roof pitch to drop in the chimney liner......doubt if they had snorkel booms to build that roof
angry_smile.gif
Ceiling paper going up today
regular_smile.gif

fp%20parlor%20wallpaper.jpg
That's beautiful wallpaper!

Love that wallpaper, it's so elegant and warm looking! Neat fireplace too, are those like stone "cubbies" on the mantle?

They are cubbies for light fixtures. There is some old wiring in each one. I'm wondering if I can get under the house and pull in some new.

They are cubbies for light fixtures. There is some old wiring in each one. I'm wondering if I can get under the house and pull in some new..
rrh said:
They are cubbies for light fixtures. There is some old wiring in each one. I'm wondering if I can get under the house and pull in some new.
Light fixtures in those would be neat!

Things are coming together
regular_smile.gif

Carpet and floor finishing this week.
entry%20stairs.jpg

regular_smile.gif

entry%20stairs.jpg
Your wallpaper is beautiful..but I am sorry I can't help but think what the nex tpotential buyer come looking at your property will think about it. I hope they love wallpaper. On all the "design to sell" shows..the first thing the realtor ways is "get rid of the wallpaper!"
Me..personally I have had enough of it and never want to strip it off from someone's wall ever again:-(

regular_smile.gif

entry%20stairs.jpg
Again, beautiful wallpaper choice! I know my initial reaction when we bought here was to tear down the wallpaper (and I still feel that way about the stuff that was chosen for our space) but I have found that the wallpaper hides a world of problems- old plaster & lathe walls that were beat to heck over the years, seams where new sheetrock meets old plaster, bumps and dings from careless guests.
Still, we are taking it out of the bathrooms.
But I love your choices! Very rich looking.

It is beautiful! I have no clue about hanging wallpaper other than memories or the struggles of Granny and my Mother doing it in Granny's house. I do not have enough courage to try it. (and yes, we removed 6 to 8 layers of wallpaper - even from the ceilings - in this house. I am beginning to think I made a mistake in going with paint when I HAD a helper..........

You are very fortunate to have a wife who wallpapered for a living. It looks very professional and beautiful. I just love it!

regular_smile.gif

entry%20stairs.jpg
Did you put the white wood on the walls? My DH wants me to take a picture of it because it is so beautiful he wants to do that to our stairs. The whole thing look wonderful.

Her talent and years as a pro really show
regular_smile.gif

The palette is based off the Manitou Greenstone fire place. Since we can't change that all the colors keyed off of it.
The wood was all there we just brought it back to life with some sanding and a fresh coat of paint.
Carpet today and tomorrow. We just might get to move some of the furniture that occupies virtually every square inch of our quarters out tonight and unpack some of our stuff
thumbs_up.gif

We actually discussed some re-opening stuff this morning instead of remodeling!

Her talent and years as a pro really show
regular_smile.gif

The palette is based off the Manitou Greenstone fire place. Since we can't change that all the colors keyed off of it.
The wood was all there we just brought it back to life with some sanding and a fresh coat of paint.
Carpet today and tomorrow. We just might get to move some of the furniture that occupies virtually every square inch of our quarters out tonight and unpack some of our stuff
thumbs_up.gif

We actually discussed some re-opening stuff this morning instead of remodeling!.
rrh said:
We just might get to move some of the furniture that occupies virtually every square inch of our quarters out tonight and unpack some of our stuff
thumbs_up.gif
I've been here 4 years...still haven't unpacked. Wish I had done it the first year, now it makes no sense. I'll just be packing it all back up again in 6 years anyway!

I know, we are renovating right now too and boy our private space is where all the extras get stored while that is going on.
Even my mother is annoyed with how our own space looks but it can't be helped. The renos never seem to end which means our space will never look tidy. A bit stressfull I must admit. DH is spraying tiger foam insulation into all the old walls. What a difference it has already made to the comfort in the winter months. I can't wait to get our next energy bill.
And, most of us can't wait for spring to arrive.

Back