Report from the Old Country

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find myself dreaming of running a Guest House down the road. It would certainly help me buy the house I've always wanted in my old hometown. I guess I'm not quite ready to give up innkeeping, it's what I've done for more than 20 years...what else would I do? :)

Maybe what I want is to still do this, but less restrictively.....get DH away from doing daily breakfasts and me away from daily cleanings. I've really had no experiences with a guest house, or talked to anyone that owned one, so my dreams of innkeeping without the work and restrictions are probably unrealistic, and the guests would likely be TOTALLY different from what we get now..
It appears that often when you have a rental that is more guest house or long term, with no innkeeper or staff around, you can expect a lot less respect for the property. More damage, more dirt, more stuffing lots of bodies into one room.
Not to say that it would not work - I could see doing it somewhere I loved to live. But I would let them know I check in the rooms on a daily basis - or make them pay a good damage deposit up front..
RIki
It can be done. Here's a place in Santa Cruz, CA that does it spectacularly well.
Innkeeper To Go said:
It can be done. Here's a place in Santa Cruz, CA that does it spectacularly well.
Exactly what I picture...thanks for the link!

I find myself dreaming of running a Guest House down the road. It would certainly help me buy the house I've always wanted in my old hometown. I guess I'm not quite ready to give up innkeeping, it's what I've done for more than 20 years...what else would I do? :)

Maybe what I want is to still do this, but less restrictively.....get DH away from doing daily breakfasts and me away from daily cleanings. I've really had no experiences with a guest house, or talked to anyone that owned one, so my dreams of innkeeping without the work and restrictions are probably unrealistic, and the guests would likely be TOTALLY different from what we get now..
It appears that often when you have a rental that is more guest house or long term, with no innkeeper or staff around, you can expect a lot less respect for the property. More damage, more dirt, more stuffing lots of bodies into one room.
Not to say that it would not work - I could see doing it somewhere I loved to live. But I would let them know I check in the rooms on a daily basis - or make them pay a good damage deposit up front..
RIki
egoodell said:
RIki
It would be our home, and it would be my livelihood. Same as now, with a few less amenities...a short walk to the beach! I always picture the "Bed & Breakfast without the breakfast" tagline.

RIki
egoodell said:
RIki
It would be our home, and it would be my livelihood. Same as now, with a few less amenities...a short walk to the beach! I always picture the "Bed & Breakfast without the breakfast" tagline.
I could see it! And out back a barbeque area for guests to use??? Sure would be a great idea. Something my family would have loved when I was a kid traveling!!!
Riki

RIki
Innkeeper To Go said:
One of the things that they do that I really like is describing who might stay there right on the website, broken down into percentages.
I think most folks who might have discomfort in booking a guest house will lose that discomfort from the photos and all their wonderful reviews, but the breakdown on the types of guests helps overcome those fears, too, I think.
There is a market for this if it's done well. The place in Santa Cruz has an exceptional location for this sort of thing. But they really are full or close to full almost all of the time.
For an innkeeper wanting to slow down but not give up the B&B altogether, I think it can be an attractive alternative.

RIki
Innkeeper To Go said:
Little Blue said:
Innkeeper To Go said:
That looks beautiful!!! I wonder if the regulations are easier on vacation rentals. I think they are here. There is one place that is not licensed as a B&B but online says it is but is supposedly a "boarding house" if you ask them. No sign.
RIKI

Security was NEVER a problem here. We did live on site, but NEVER had a thing taken.You are comparing apples to oranges when you talk about Irish B& B's and American ones. Don't assume they are the same..they are not. We found the Irish to all be so very helpful and kind...but would never run a B & B they way they do.
It is nice you are having the experience, but get more realisitc experience at American B& B's and by attending aspiring classes here in the states. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

RIki
Innkeeper To Go said:
Little Blue said:
Innkeeper To Go said:
That looks beautiful!!! I wonder if the regulations are easier on vacation rentals. I think they are here. There is one place that is not licensed as a B&B but online says it is but is supposedly a "boarding house" if you ask them. No sign.
RIKI
egoodell said:
RIKI
While regulations always vary from place to place (here in California, from county to county and from town to town), it's generally a lot easier to be a vacation rental than a B&B.
Not serving breakfast definitely changes some health department requirements.
I'd just note that this works because the owners are nearby. They own a B&B 2 blocks away so keeping a close eye on things is easier.
But it can work and it is something for folks to consider as they are finding that they need or want to slow down.

RIki
Innkeeper To Go said:
One of the things that they do that I really like is describing who might stay there right on the website, broken down into percentages.
I think most folks who might have discomfort in booking a guest house will lose that discomfort from the photos and all their wonderful reviews, but the breakdown on the types of guests helps overcome those fears, too, I think.
There is a market for this if it's done well. The place in Santa Cruz has an exceptional location for this sort of thing. But they really are full or close to full almost all of the time.
For an innkeeper wanting to slow down but not give up the B&B altogether, I think it can be an attractive alternative.
It would work for us as well when we come to wanting to slow down since we have our own upstairs kitchen which would keep the guests separate from our utensils and food.
Wow. Something to think about!
Riki

RIki
Innkeeper To Go said:
Little Blue said:
Innkeeper To Go said:
RIKI
egoodell said:
Little Blue said:
Innkeeper To Go said:
RIKI
I think they are in most places and why they are poping up everywhere you turn. Here there are essentially no regulations on this unless you have a a bunch of them and are established as a business. Otherwise, no permits, no restrictions, no inspections, no collection of taxes.... The list goes on! And here, these rentals are going for about the same rate per night as one reg. hotel night - no min. # of nights (at least they do not mention one on their listings). I certainly see how they are becoming popular for vacationers and owners.

that place looks lovely, innkeeper to go, but i could not find on their website about overnight staff. for me ... that is key. that's what i want.
i would imagine, it takes a lot of time and effort to clean and shop for such a place ... having had guests make a big mess making a hurried breakfast and rushing out the door after using up all the cream or milk or eggs (or all three) like morticia sometimes describes ... seeing the condition of the kitchen and common rooms that some of my family members leave behind sometimes ... i am talking ADULTS here .. in their 50's and 60's ... their idea of clean and tidy and my idea of clean and tidy are totally different things. their idea of not using up all the eggs and milk and my idea of not using up all the eggs and milk are also completely different. one egg in the carton and a dribble of milk left in the jug and saying there was plenty left is just wrong. okay ... i'm veering off topic here. but the logistics of making sure the pantry is well stocked for guests ... wow!

that place looks lovely, innkeeper to go, but i could not find on their website about overnight staff. for me ... that is key. that's what i want.
i would imagine, it takes a lot of time and effort to clean and shop for such a place ... having had guests make a big mess making a hurried breakfast and rushing out the door after using up all the cream or milk or eggs (or all three) like morticia sometimes describes ... seeing the condition of the kitchen and common rooms that some of my family members leave behind sometimes ... i am talking ADULTS here .. in their 50's and 60's ... their idea of clean and tidy and my idea of clean and tidy are totally different things. their idea of not using up all the eggs and milk and my idea of not using up all the eggs and milk are also completely different. one egg in the carton and a dribble of milk left in the jug and saying there was plenty left is just wrong. okay ... i'm veering off topic here. but the logistics of making sure the pantry is well stocked for guests ... wow!.
seashanty said:
i would imagine, it takes a lot of time and effort to clean and shop for such a place ... having had guests make a big mess making a hurried breakfast and rushing out the door after using up all the cream or milk or eggs (or all three) like morticia sometimes describes ... seeing the condition of the kitchen and common rooms that some of my family members leave behind sometimes ... i am talking ADULTS here .. in their 50's and 60's ... their idea of clean and tidy and my idea of clean and tidy are totally different things. their idea of not using up all the eggs and milk and my idea of not using up all the eggs and milk are also completely different. one egg in the carton and a dribble of milk left in the jug and saying there was plenty left is just wrong. okay ... i'm veering off topic here. but the logistics of making sure the pantry is well stocked for guests ... wow!
My idea has never included a kitchen for guests...there area several restaurants and what not within walking distance of the house I want. Of course, I would not require a week's stay, either.

RIki
One of our "forum innmates" does this option. Folks can opt for B & B or he'll rent them the whole house as a vacation rental. He has 2 houses now that he just does that with and one house is a B & B. See here
Haven't heard from him in a while...hope he is doing ok. If you are lurking...drop in :)

i would imagine, it takes a lot of time and effort to clean and shop for such a place ... having had guests make a big mess making a hurried breakfast and rushing out the door after using up all the cream or milk or eggs (or all three) like morticia sometimes describes ... seeing the condition of the kitchen and common rooms that some of my family members leave behind sometimes ... i am talking ADULTS here .. in their 50's and 60's ... their idea of clean and tidy and my idea of clean and tidy are totally different things. their idea of not using up all the eggs and milk and my idea of not using up all the eggs and milk are also completely different. one egg in the carton and a dribble of milk left in the jug and saying there was plenty left is just wrong. okay ... i'm veering off topic here. but the logistics of making sure the pantry is well stocked for guests ... wow!.
seashanty said:
Yes, to do this well means doing something other than a vacation rental but without the services that a B&B brings. So that means that while there's no breakfast, there's still work to keep the place well.
So you've got daily housekeeping and stocking the kitchen, even if the rooms themselves aren't being cleaned.
But I know several inns that offer well stocked community kitchens and you'd be surprised how quickly you get into the swing of things with stocking.
It's not labor free by any means. But it does significantly reduce the load that innkeepers traditionally have and that can help some folks who just want to slow down.

Irish B&B's and American B&B's are nothing alike. I wouldn't use their advice or innfo as a basis for operating an Inn in the USA. Most Irish B&B's are closer to guest houses/homestays.
We have never had any theft here of any kind. Again, you are comparing apples and oranges..
Joey Bloggs said:
Irish B&B's and American B&B's are nothing alike. I wouldn't use their advice or innfo as a basis for operating an Inn in the USA. Most Irish B&B's are closer to guest houses/homestays.
We have never had any theft here of any kind. Again, you are comparing apples and oranges.
Ditto.
It makes no sense whatsoever to go to Ireland to conduct research on an American B&B.
I'm not buying it.
I'm not here for research. It's a vacation. But I'm certainly taking notes.
You should take a vacation in the U.S. and try and stay in the type of place that you're talking about opening. That would be worthwhile.

i think i'd like to stay in that place ....
or maybe not ... who am i kidding? i'd like breakfast in bed!

seashanty said:
Yes, to do this well means doing something other than a vacation rental but without the services that a B&B brings. So that means that while there's no breakfast, there's still work to keep the place well.
So you've got daily housekeeping and stocking the kitchen, even if the rooms themselves aren't being cleaned.
But I know several inns that offer well stocked community kitchens and you'd be surprised how quickly you get into the swing of things with stocking.
It's not labor free by any means. But it does significantly reduce the load that innkeepers traditionally have and that can help some folks who just want to slow down.
Not labor free, but for us we could have an employee come and clean and stock in the am after breakfast time, flip the rooms and we could be doing the wine tours. Would work for us down the road when we want to slow down..!
Riki

seashanty said:
Not labor free, but for us we could have an employee come and clean and stock in the am after breakfast time, flip the rooms and we could be doing the wine tours. Would work for us down the road when we want to slow down..!
Riki
Exactly. The kind of things that need to be done in a place like this are the kind of things that can easily be done by part-time staff.

In 14 years we have never had anything stolen. Some of the things I have could easily be palmed or put in a suitcase. A now retired B & B had a collection of snuff boxes from all over the world, some of them antiques, displayed on a coffee table in the common area. These could easily fit in a hand and "walked" - none ever did. We (B & Bs) do not usually get the "motel" people who take anything not nailed down.
And I would not have a camera in any place in my house. I would resent finding a camera in any inn I stayed in, and probably would not stay if I found one. No telling what was being filmed..... Not me! Gone.

Unlike the UK that are under surveillance from ten cameras if they scratch their left nostril, Americans do not prefer to have their...well without getting political...let's just say cameras in a B&B are not a good idea. Listening devices are also not a good idea, anything that is not publicly posted is an invasion of privacy..
Joey Bloggs said:
Unlike the UK that are under surveillance from ten cameras if they scratch their left nostril, Americans do not prefer to have their...well without getting political...let's just say cameras in a B&B are not a good idea. Listening devices are also not a good idea, anything that is not publicly posted is an invasion of privacy.
I once stayed at a b&b in Newport, RI that had cameras everywhere, both inside and out. I hated seeing all those cameras, especially inside. They were in the hallways, driveway, front door, you got no key but a code to the front door keypad. It was more than 4 digits long and I had trouble remembering it. I hated the whole thing and would never stay there again.

Unlike the UK that are under surveillance from ten cameras if they scratch their left nostril, Americans do not prefer to have their...well without getting political...let's just say cameras in a B&B are not a good idea. Listening devices are also not a good idea, anything that is not publicly posted is an invasion of privacy..
Joey Bloggs said:
Unlike the UK that are under surveillance from ten cameras if they scratch their left nostril, Americans do not prefer to have their...well without getting political...let's just say cameras in a B&B are not a good idea. Listening devices are also not a good idea, anything that is not publicly posted is an invasion of privacy.
I once stayed at a b&b in Newport, RI that had cameras everywhere, both inside and out. I hated seeing all those cameras, especially inside. They were in the hallways, driveway, front door, you got no key but a code to the front door keypad. It was more than 4 digits long and I had trouble remembering it. I hated the whole thing and would never stay there again.
Breakfast Diva said:
Code use is becoming more and more popular and even some hotels are using them to aid their security in the night hours. For me, they have been great, no more of my keys floating around the country / world. I quick change of the code and we have no worries. Would not change back ever... And when we sell this place, my next home will nave a coded door too.

Back