Sarcasm

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes health department inspections. You could do without commercial dishwashers if you use disposables. In Missouri we are not suppose to even let them use any dishes other then at breakfast. When will they see that it is people who have control what goes on and not machinery!
chef.gif

Yes health department inspections. You could do without commercial dishwashers if you use disposables. In Missouri we are not suppose to even let them use any dishes other then at breakfast. When will they see that it is people who have control what goes on and not machinery!
chef.gif
MTLLodge said:
chef.gif
No dishes except at breakfast? So, no coffee mugs or wine glasses or plates for cookies after breakfast is over? Harsh. Much worse than here. I don't need a commercial dishwasher but I do have to have a high temp heater on the home dishwasher. Which I have.

Yep, I talked to the man that handles our part of the state. It is a joke!

Not everyone is as capable as we are, you can't assume everyone has any sort of training or certification and know how to handle potentially hazardous food/chemicals.
Lack of basic English can have an entire hotel evacuated when a staff member mixes bleach and ammonia and sends people to the hospital and death, by adding water and getting chlorine gas (the chemical of choice in Nazi Germany).
Yes this happened, I can tell you when and where specifically. It was a simple mistake that could have been avoided, these fumes went up the elevator shaft and were carried onto each floor. The housekeeper who was working illegally and had no official training was just doing her job as best she could.
There is a reason many locales do not allow egg bakes to sit overnight with raw egg. Yes accidents happen, but most can be prevented.
Public Health/Environmental Health get these calls every day.

This too snippy? -- How about me being part pet friendly (2 out of 5 rooms) and finding a guest intends to leave the dog alone during the day. Me: we are a B&B, not a kennel; your companion animal probably wants to keep you company.

This too snippy? -- How about me being part pet friendly (2 out of 5 rooms) and finding a guest intends to leave the dog alone during the day. Me: we are a B&B, not a kennel; your companion animal probably wants to keep you company..
Tom, I am not a dog person, but my daughter would probably fall into this category - her dog is alone all day when she is at work so she would figure what is the difference? - I will bring my dog with me on vacay and when I am there I will spend time with him. But if you would have a barker that could be a problem. Do what works for you for sure!

This too snippy? -- How about me being part pet friendly (2 out of 5 rooms) and finding a guest intends to leave the dog alone during the day. Me: we are a B&B, not a kennel; your companion animal probably wants to keep you company..
Tom said:
This too snippy? -- How about me being part pet friendly (2 out of 5 rooms) and finding a guest intends to leave the dog alone during the day. Me: we are a B&B, not a kennel; your companion animal probably wants to keep you company.
We don't allow dogs to be left alone either. 'Your dog may not be left alone in the room, after all, your dog is on vacation, too.'
The worst ones are the wedding guests who won't leave the dog home, insist on bringing the pocket pal but then want to leave it in the room because, 'It's just a little, 3 lb dog, it won't bother anyone and it pees on piddle pads, it doesn't even have to go outside!'

Tom said:
We don't allow dogs to be left alone either. 'Your dog may not be left alone in the room, after all, your dog is on vacation, too.'
The worst ones are the wedding guests who won't leave the dog home, insist on bringing the pocket pal but then want to leave it in the room because, 'It's just a little, 3 lb dog, it won't bother anyone and it pees on piddle pads, it doesn't even have to go outside!'
Alibi Ike said:
Dogs at home left alone may be perfectly content, or at least not bark. Dogs in a strange hotel room, left alone with all sorts of noises outside, will bark (best case) and destroy the room (worst case). Having had a dog with separation anxiety and having been in a hotel with a dog left alone next door - I would not recommend taking dogs unless you have already figured out how to have good policies and enforce them. Not leaving the dog alone in the room is really one of the most important rules to follow.

Tom said:
Alibi Ike said:
Dogs at home left alone may be perfectly content, or at least not bark. Dogs in a strange hotel room, left alone with all sorts of noises outside, will bark (best case) and destroy the room (worst case). Having had a dog with separation anxiety and having been in a hotel with a dog left alone next door - I would not recommend taking dogs unless you have already figured out how to have good policies and enforce them. Not leaving the dog alone in the room is really one of the most important rules to follow.
One dog last week we hardly knew was around, except when one guest stamped his feet outside their windows to get the snow off his boots. And he was stomping. And the dog went wild. If it had been alone, not sure it would ever have stopped.
Other guests walked by chatting, laughing, etc. It was the stomping that got the dog wound up.
We have had guests lock the dog(s) in the bathroom and go out. Now we get a cellphone number for anyone who brings a dog.
2 dogs that the guests told us do not shed were left in the bathroom. It took us 2 days to get the hair out from the radiators, behind the sink and off the walls. They must have been wrestling or chasing each other around, it was a mess in there. My response now to guests who tell me their dogs do not shed is to say, 'Everything sheds. People, dogs, birds, even turtles. Your dog sheds.'

Tom said:
The only way that some dogs can be left in strange places is if they have their crate. If they are travel trained, they will be okay in their crate while the owners are gone, as the crate is their "home".
But few dogs are used to this - my family used to show dogs so ours were used to travel. But again, my mother always stayed in motels as she would put a blanket on the second bed as our dogs sleep with us. And she stayed in motels because they shed. She would not have taken her dogs to a B&B for this reason.
But I grew up in Europe where at the time ( maybe still ) dogs were generally well trained and we used to take them to dinner with us at our local restaurant where they would be put under the table as we ate. I'm talking a white tablecloth upscale restaurant. You would not hear a peep as they knew they didn't get their treat until they got home.
The only thing that you can do is provide a large crate and charge extra for cleaning (hair, flee/tic treatment) after they stay. If they are true dog owners/travelers they will not fuss as they will be happy you are taking their pet. If they are inconsiderate pet owners with untrained animals they will put up a fuss and spout the piddle pad. I would not allow a piddle pad. That has to stink. If they have a dog then jolly well take the poor animal outside to pee!!!!
RIki

Tom said:
Alibi Ike said:
We brought our dog once at the insistance of our friends (he was usually left penned in the kitchen with a neighbor kid coming in twice a day to do food/pee patrol) and left him in the Suburban one night. It was our vehicle, one he was familiar with, and he tried to chew his way out! We brought him in the house and all was well. Never, ever leave a dog alone in unfamiliar territory. He knew the vehicle, but it was not his home and it was missing his people.

If you are pet friendly you need to be pet friendly - within reason. I (personally) have no problem with dogs being left in room if crated while the owner is out, and I will take them out to P. Of course if they are barking that would be an issue but generally I would be able to tell that before hand (the dog would bark while owners are at breakfast for example), or letting the guests leave their pooches with my pooch.
If you are not an animal lover then I don't recommend your place be "pet friendly". Again .. as I always say .... each to his own but I don't feel the "we are not a kennel" is appropriate .. since you asked. How about recommending the local kennels or the local vet for day boarding instead?

If you are pet friendly you need to be pet friendly - within reason. I (personally) have no problem with dogs being left in room if crated while the owner is out, and I will take them out to P. Of course if they are barking that would be an issue but generally I would be able to tell that before hand (the dog would bark while owners are at breakfast for example), or letting the guests leave their pooches with my pooch.
If you are not an animal lover then I don't recommend your place be "pet friendly". Again .. as I always say .... each to his own but I don't feel the "we are not a kennel" is appropriate .. since you asked. How about recommending the local kennels or the local vet for day boarding instead?.
I applaud your willingness to take the pooch for a walk - personally I would not wish to be involved with someone's "baby". That animal is possibly treated better than their kids were and i would not want to be accused of endangering it, allowing it to find a flea and for my part being close enough for the little bugger to bite me (a stranger in its world). I will not babysit their kids nor their animals. I love kids and i love animals but I am the keeper of neither - I did the Victory Dance quite a few years ago now.

If you are not an animal lover then I don't recommend your place be "pet friendly". Again .. as I always say .... each to his own but I don't feel the "we are not a kennel" is appropriate .. since you asked. How about recommending the local kennels or the local vet for day boarding instead?.
agoodman said:
If you are not an animal lover then I don't recommend your place be "pet friendly". Again .. as I always say .... each to his own but I don't feel the "we are not a kennel" is appropriate .. since you asked. How about recommending the local kennels or the local vet for day boarding instead?
I have found that when people are inconsiderate enough to leave their pet in a B&B or hotel room alone all day, they are also the ones that are too cheap to pay to board them. Why travel with your dog only to put them in a kennel the whole day??
RIki

we have two rabbits of which very are very fond but one is a jigger for escaping so I am very wary of anyone looking after them in case he made a dash for it. Same with dogs he/she decides to make a break for it and all hell will break loose.

it reminds me of one time when I worked at a large hotel with a lift and it was policy that dogs be carried if they were small in the lift. well this woman wouldn't and the doors to the lift shut and left the chiwawa on the outside so the lead is getting tight and my boss sees it dashes out grabs the dog and lifts it up so it doesn't get strangled while we dash about looking for scizors got the dog snipped off but it could have been killed! the very next day the woman does the same thing! what an idiot (dog made it into the lift this time).

I applaud your willingness to take the pooch for a walk - personally I would not wish to be involved with someone's "baby". That animal is possibly treated better than their kids were and i would not want to be accused of endangering it, allowing it to find a flea and for my part being close enough for the little bugger to bite me (a stranger in its world). I will not babysit their kids nor their animals. I love kids and i love animals but I am the keeper of neither - I did the Victory Dance quite a few years ago now.
Didn't say "for a walk" I said "to P"

agoodman said:
I have found that when people are inconsiderate enough to leave their pet in a B&B or hotel room alone all day, they are also the ones that are too cheap to pay to board them. Why travel with your dog only to put them in a kennel the whole day??
RIki
Inconsiderate enough?? I find that people that travel with pets care more because they are NOT leaving them in a place with lots of other animals / vet / kennel, although there are some very good boarding places. Remember these people are often also paying for their pets at a B&B and there are many places that people may want to visit in your area that don't allow animals inside or even outside, and I would NEVER suggest that my guests leave their pets in a car irrespective of the weather just because the museum / park / restaurant does not allow pets.
Again each to his own, but I have found that EVERY guest that I have had with a pet is very considerate of me, my animals, my property, my other guests etc

it reminds me of one time when I worked at a large hotel with a lift and it was policy that dogs be carried if they were small in the lift. well this woman wouldn't and the doors to the lift shut and left the chiwawa on the outside so the lead is getting tight and my boss sees it dashes out grabs the dog and lifts it up so it doesn't get strangled while we dash about looking for scizors got the dog snipped off but it could have been killed! the very next day the woman does the same thing! what an idiot (dog made it into the lift this time)..
That wasn't at the old hotel on St Stephens Green (Dublin) was it? I installed their systems there and I remember them telling me that ...

Didn't say "for a walk" I said "to P"
Unless you want to take the chance of it taking off, you have to get close enough to put on the leash and walk to wherever "business" is done. That is close enough to get nipped or bitten.

Back