Sarcasm

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are pet friendly you need to be pet friendly - within reason. I (personally) have no problem with dogs being left in room if crated while the owner is out, and I will take them out to P. Of course if they are barking that would be an issue but generally I would be able to tell that before hand (the dog would bark while owners are at breakfast for example), or letting the guests leave their pooches with my pooch.
If you are not an animal lover then I don't recommend your place be "pet friendly". Again .. as I always say .... each to his own but I don't feel the "we are not a kennel" is appropriate .. since you asked. How about recommending the local kennels or the local vet for day boarding instead?.
agoodman said:
If you are pet friendly you need to be pet friendly - within reason. I (personally) have no problem with dogs being left in room if crated while the owner is out, and I will take them out to P. Of course if they are barking that would be an issue but generally I would be able to tell that before hand (the dog would bark while owners are at breakfast for example), or letting the guests leave their pooches with my pooch.
If you are not an animal lover then I don't recommend your place be "pet friendly". Again .. as I always say .... each to his own but I don't feel the "we are not a kennel" is appropriate .. since you asked. How about recommending the local kennels or the local vet for day boarding instead?
I have found that when people are inconsiderate enough to leave their pet in a B&B or hotel room alone all day, they are also the ones that are too cheap to pay to board them. Why travel with your dog only to put them in a kennel the whole day??
RIki
Inconsiderate enough?? I find that people that travel with pets care more because they are NOT leaving them in a place with lots of other animals / vet / kennel, although there are some very good boarding places. Remember these people are often also paying for their pets at a B&B and there are many places that people may want to visit in your area that don't allow animals inside or even outside, and I would NEVER suggest that my guests leave their pets in a car irrespective of the weather just because the museum / park / restaurant does not allow pets.
Again each to his own, but I have found that EVERY guest that I have had with a pet is very considerate of me, my animals, my property, my other guests etc
agoodman said:
Inconsiderate enough?? I find that people that travel with pets care more because they are NOT leaving them in a place with lots of other animals / vet / kennel, although there are some very good boarding places. Remember these people are often also paying for their pets at a B&B and there are many places that people may want to visit in your area that don't allow animals inside or even outside, and I would NEVER suggest that my guests leave their pets in a car irrespective of the weather just because the museum / park / restaurant does not allow pets.
Again each to his own, but I have found that EVERY guest that I have had with a pet is very considerate of me, my animals, my property, my other guests etc
You've been lucky. Yes, I consider leaving an animal loose in a strange room all day inconsiderate. Considerate owners take their pets out with them when they travel. I am a pet owner, and I love my dogs. but I know if plenty of places that have had destruction because the owner locked the dog in the room/bathroom and the pet went ballistic in a strange place. Barking for hours and damage.
Riki

it reminds me of one time when I worked at a large hotel with a lift and it was policy that dogs be carried if they were small in the lift. well this woman wouldn't and the doors to the lift shut and left the chiwawa on the outside so the lead is getting tight and my boss sees it dashes out grabs the dog and lifts it up so it doesn't get strangled while we dash about looking for scizors got the dog snipped off but it could have been killed! the very next day the woman does the same thing! what an idiot (dog made it into the lift this time)..
That wasn't at the old hotel on St Stephens Green (Dublin) was it? I installed their systems there and I remember them telling me that ...
nope it was Grants hotel harrogate but I am sure it is not the only place. Usually we only had dogs in ground floor rooms. It was actually a really good money spinner as they were the only hotel in harrogate that took dogs and we charged a supliament for it. we only had one doggy accident and the owners were complete idiots to bring a dog with an upset stomach to a hotel it was obviously not well. Otherwise tons of dogs no trouble. I would recomend people bring travel crates though if they are going to leave them in rooms.

If you are not an animal lover then I don't recommend your place be "pet friendly". Again .. as I always say .... each to his own but I don't feel the "we are not a kennel" is appropriate .. since you asked. How about recommending the local kennels or the local vet for day boarding instead?.
agoodman said:
If you are not an animal lover then I don't recommend your place be "pet friendly". Again .. as I always say .... each to his own but I don't feel the "we are not a kennel" is appropriate .. since you asked. How about recommending the local kennels or the local vet for day boarding instead?
I have found that when people are inconsiderate enough to leave their pet in a B&B or hotel room alone all day, they are also the ones that are too cheap to pay to board them. Why travel with your dog only to put them in a kennel the whole day??
RIki
agoodman said:
You've been lucky. Yes, I consider leaving an animal loose in a strange room all day inconsiderate. Considerate owners take their pets out with them when they travel. I am a pet owner, and I love my dogs. but I know if plenty of places that have had destruction because the owner locked the dog in the room/bathroom and the pet went ballistic in a strange place. Barking for hours and damage.
Riki
There is a whole new 'class' of pet owner out there now. They are of the 'Paris Hilton' ilk, except they don't travel with an entourage that takes care of everything they drop along the way, including the dog. These are the folks who ask us to walk their dogs while they enjoy their day. Including telling us to just take the dog around with us while we clean and cook!
They refuse to use the kennel 1/2 mile away. They refuse to leave the dog in the car. They refuse to take the dog with them. They stay elsewhere because I refuse to have them in the house. There are 4 other pet friendly places very nearby where you can do anything you want and those owners don't care what your dog does.
Same with the guests who want to leave 7-8 yo children alone in the room. No. Not allowed. Do not care what they do at home.

agoodman said:
RIki
agoodman said:
Riki
There is a whole new 'class' of pet owner out there now. They are of the 'Paris Hilton' ilk, except they don't travel with an entourage that takes care of everything they drop along the way, including the dog. These are the folks who ask us to walk their dogs while they enjoy their day. Including telling us to just take the dog around with us while we clean and cook!
They refuse to use the kennel 1/2 mile away. They refuse to leave the dog in the car. They refuse to take the dog with them. They stay elsewhere because I refuse to have them in the house. There are 4 other pet friendly places very nearby where you can do anything you want and those owners don't care what your dog does.
Same with the guests who want to leave 7-8 yo children alone in the room. No. Not allowed. Do not care what they do at home.
Alibi Ike said:
Thse are the folks who ask us to walk their dogs while they enjoy their stay.
I would no sooner go into a room or open a crate with a strange dog than pet a rattlesnake. A dog who doesn't know you, on unfamiliar turf, and you enter his territory? A scared dog bites. My sister almost lost her eye to a dog bite after bending over to say hi without having a true introduction. We still love dogs - she has three, we will get another post-B&B - but you can be pet-friendly without putting yourself or your property at risk. Guests who truly care about their pets understand that.

Wow, I can always count on the innspired to have an opinion! Consensus: mine is mildly snarky sarcasm.
Indeed, a well behaved, crate-trained dog is OK, but not without my agreeing in advance and a having a credible committment to return quickly if the beast is uncomfortable. My liking animals is way different than my wanting to take on the care of someone else's pet on someone else's terms. Our pet friendly policy is intended to support people traveling with their pet more than as an alternative to leaving it at home. That said, I believe the median dog has been better behaved than the median guest.

Wow, I can always count on the innspired to have an opinion! Consensus: mine is mildly snarky sarcasm.
Indeed, a well behaved, crate-trained dog is OK, but not without my agreeing in advance and a having a credible committment to return quickly if the beast is uncomfortable. My liking animals is way different than my wanting to take on the care of someone else's pet on someone else's terms. Our pet friendly policy is intended to support people traveling with their pet more than as an alternative to leaving it at home. That said, I believe the median dog has been better behaved than the median guest..
"That said, I believe the median dog has been better behaved than the median guest."
Ha! Some days my sister would agree to that statement.

Well said Tom, mine is "I would rather take dogs than kids ..." (in fact they have to sign a waiver for kids under 10! .. IF I agree to take them)
grouptalk.gif

However lets get back to the vein of my original post, if you have to say "NO", (for anything), drop the sarcasm ...... you may have "policies" but we are not "police", so if you have to say "it's our policy ..... say it nicely......

I think pet friendly is each to their own but I do think them asking you to look after them or walk them is a cheek unless you specifically market yourself as a pet palace etc which depending on your location could be a vey financially viable marketing idea. But where I am there are 6 places that take cats and dogs so I think that is enough.

agoodman said:
RIki
agoodman said:
Riki
Alibi Ike said:
Thse are the folks who ask us to walk their dogs while they enjoy their stay.
I would no sooner go into a room or open a crate with a strange dog than pet a rattlesnake. A dog who doesn't know you, on unfamiliar turf, and you enter his territory? A scared dog bites. My sister almost lost her eye to a dog bite after bending over to say hi without having a true introduction. We still love dogs - she has three, we will get another post-B&B - but you can be pet-friendly without putting yourself or your property at risk. Guests who truly care about their pets understand that.
There would have been no reason for us to go in the room with this dog, the owners said they would just hand it over when they left and it would stay with us in the kitchen while we served breakfast. People are funny.

Indeed, a well behaved, crate-trained dog is OK, but not without my agreeing in advance and a having a credible committment to return quickly if the beast is uncomfortable. My liking animals is way different than my wanting to take on the care of someone else's pet on someone else's terms. Our pet friendly policy is intended to support people traveling with their pet more than as an alternative to leaving it at home. That said, I believe the median dog has been better behaved than the median guest..
Tom said:
Our pet friendly policy is intended to support people traveling with their pet more than as an alternative to leaving it at home.
That's the guest we want...the one traveling with their pet.

agoodman said:
RIki
agoodman said:
Riki
Alibi Ike said:
My point exactly, could not agree with you more.
riki

Back