Service rules (or does it?)

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you can be friendly and still have class. the list has some great pointers. some are just not my style.
something i will never forget. some guests stayed with me three nights. they had come from a three night stay elsewhere and were heading north. that was a departure of hugs ... when they want hugs and you talk a bit before the guests leave.
they told me where they had stayed the nights before. that it was elegant and nice ... but they felt the innkeepers weren't 'real'. they couldn't warm up to them. and the housekeeping staff was not 'allowed' to speak to guests. can you imagine that? the woman in the couple was appalled. i am trying to remember what place that was. i wonder if that is widespread.
they wouldn't stay there again because conversation and banter was part of the b&b experience they craved. they returned to me the next year. i don't know if they went to my old place this year or not.
i love elegant places, too. but i also like warm and fuzzy.
you can't be all things to all people. not all guests would be receptive to my style. you have to find your style and go with that.

Saying, 'No problem' is a problem.
I could not agree more...and I also DESPISE being addressed as "you guys", whoever I'm with. I'm not a guy, don't call me one. When training staff at the hotel, this was the biggest habit to break the young help of. However, customer service scores went way up after they learned to say "How are you ladies" or "How are you folks today" instead of "how are you guys?" or "what can I get for you guys".
UGH, I hate that..
I so agree with you on the "no problem" and the "you guys"
On the whole to day, be it in restaurants or at Macy's or where ever else you have customer service happening, staff is NOT trained well. And our language has deteriorated into this strange slang. It is so very casual anymore.
Customer service is a very honorable thing, except (especially in the U.S.) since it doesn't require formal schooling, for the most part, it has been completely devalued and is now only a job to pay for college, etc.
I am almost afraid to say that for fear of being called a fuddy duddy or Victorian in my views.
I agree with every single point on that list

i saw this article.
good points. but i disagree with some.
i have seen people in a restaurant, (or at table in the b&b) who do not stop talking when they see the server or me standing there waiting for 'the window' to speak. sometimes you have to excuse yourself and say something ... you DO have other things to do and, for some reason, some customers seem to deliberately ignore the server. why?
i like being told the waitress/waiter/server's name. i'd rather call over to jim or jane than 'oh miss' which 'miss' am i trying to get ahold of when i don't have a spoon for my soup? and if i like that server, i sometimes will ask before being seated if he/she is on today and can i sit in his/her section.
i also like being told the server's favorite things. i don't see what's wrong with doing that. but it's not my restaurant the author is writing about..
Every person on the waitstaff should taste everything on the menu. I don't really need them to tell me what they like, but I really appreciate it when they tell me, 'I wouldn't order that,' not because they don't like it but because it just did not cook up right that particular day. (Or, if the fish order didn't come in and you're getting 'old' fish.)
They're not going to tell you the fish is old. But I agree. That is a good practice. They should know what they're selling.
Just like I say in a boutique, if the salesperson has to look at the label of a garment to tell me what it's made of, no thanks, I can do that myself.

The keynote speaker at the Governor's Conference on Tourism was a woman who spoke about Customer Service. Her point was WHY does a company NEED a Customer Service Department - EVERY employee should be practicing Customer Service.

The keynote speaker at the Governor's Conference on Tourism was a woman who spoke about Customer Service. Her point was WHY does a company NEED a Customer Service Department - EVERY employee should be practicing Customer Service..
One of the perennial winners of the 'Best Customer Service' award nationwide is down the street. You can tell who has been to their school and who has not. They could sell that service program and make a bigger fortune.

The keynote speaker at the Governor's Conference on Tourism was a woman who spoke about Customer Service. Her point was WHY does a company NEED a Customer Service Department - EVERY employee should be practicing Customer Service..
One of the perennial winners of the 'Best Customer Service' award nationwide is down the street. You can tell who has been to their school and who has not. They could sell that service program and make a bigger fortune.
Bree said:
They could sell that service program and make a bigger fortune.
Disney does sell theirs and does make a bigger fortune. When I was still in the corporate world we sent a bunch of bank branch managers to school in Orlando.

yes, it's from the new york times. 100 things restaurant staffers should never do. they're going to publish the second half 'next week'
but please SAVE ME from a restaurant that takes all the personality out of the waitstaff. don't say this, say that. i like a little of the personality to shine through ...
yes to clean glasses and proper etiquette, yes to handling the food with care, clean smoke-free hands, yes to attention and great service
no to no personal names, no personal opinions. boooo
if i go to a restaurant and have a nice meal and the waitress (with a NAME) says 'would you like to see our dessert menu today?' and i say 'no, i don't think so' and she says 'are you sure? the chocolate pie is to die for!' you don't think i might be tempted?
my choice. i can enjoy snooty. unobtrusive. blend into the background service. i can also enjoy goofy. friendly. y'all come back now, ya here?.
There was a restaurant in Chicago owned by a football player (I do not know if it is still there either and cannot remember the name to check) that the waitstaff was supposed to be gum-cracking, softly insulting, 50s carhop types and I think they were on roller skates. It was a hoot and people went there BECAUSE of the way the waitstaff were. THat was its shtick. I took someone there once and I remember it was packed with a waiting line.
But that's perfectly wonderful, it's a shtick.
I frequent a restaurant in (believe it or not) Walt Disney World where you're served in "Mrs. Cleaver'" kitchen, and where your "brother, Aunt, Cousin or Mom" serve you and boy let me tell you, they make you wash your hands, they tell you to eat your veggies or they spoon feed you. It's all part of a performance and that is GREAT.
It's when people do not know their jobs and are oblivious to what is acceptable and what is not, that constitutes bad service.

Next week: 51-100.
I think the main thing is crappy service is crappy service, If the server had a friendly welcoming attitude you could get over them pre-bussing a table. Interrupting. Forgetting something. If they could pull it off they could pull it off.
So back to US and what we do ...
Do we provide good service? Or is our service lacking and it is just okay because we are serving complimentary breakfasts? Is it okay for us to bang into chairs when we remove plates? Is it okay for us to chew gum while serving? Should we also be professional in our appearance and style? Hair pulled back when there is food around?.
I totally agree we should hold ourselves to higher level of service than if it was all family at the table! But not so high the guest is confused as to what happened to the happy-go-lucky innkeeper who was just chatting about Fawlty Towers but is now very professional.
I guess this means I have to stop yelling from the kitchen, 'Joe, would you like some juice?'
Bree said:
I totally agree we should hold ourselves to higher level of service than if it was all family at the table! But not so high the guest is confused as to what happened to the happy-go-lucky innkeeper who was just chatting about Fawlty Towers but is now very professional.
I guess this means I have to stop yelling from the kitchen, 'Joe, would you like some juice?'
Who says happy go lucky is not professional? It certainly can be and should be. Service with a smile, interaction, , knowledgeable, this is hospitality. Don't assume professionalism stuffy boring rude service, that is the opposite of what I am saying. That is where we need the rest of the list 51 to 100. No one is saying do not have a personality. Have a big personality! People love that!
But don't chew gum, have your hair hanging over the plates of food, pull a wedgy out of your drawers. (Just added that to see if you were really reading) tee hee
In short, have manners. That's all it is. Good manners.

Bree said:
They could sell that service program and make a bigger fortune.
Disney does sell theirs and does make a bigger fortune. When I was still in the corporate world we sent a bunch of bank branch managers to school in Orlando.
Disney does it best

being personal:
i had quite a time with some of the local girls ... trying to get them to modify their behavior and attire while at work.
swearing, burping, belching, smelling of smoke, arguing ... wearing low cut this and that ... not bad girls. just girls without a clue.
i told them we run a classy place, we have high standards. we have 'old fashioned' guests who expect certain things. provided them with t-shirts and aprons and told them no low low (no?) rise jeans while cleaning here. no beach clothes or club clothes or even their everyday clothes.
one girl remained and she's a gem. usually one 'summer girl' would sign on while here for the season.
the others worked for me a while then migrated to the store, to the landscaping companies, then off elsewhere ... wanted to come back to me but i wouldn't have them. they just didn't get it (or didn't want to) they'd see me someplace and be all over me 'oh, my favorite boss. my nicest boss.' but i never wanted to be their boss again.
wink_smile.gif

being personal:
i had quite a time with some of the local girls ... trying to get them to modify their behavior and attire while at work.
swearing, burping, belching, smelling of smoke, arguing ... wearing low cut this and that ... not bad girls. just girls without a clue.
i told them we run a classy place, we have high standards. we have 'old fashioned' guests who expect certain things. provided them with t-shirts and aprons and told them no low low (no?) rise jeans while cleaning here. no beach clothes or club clothes or even their everyday clothes.
one girl remained and she's a gem. usually one 'summer girl' would sign on while here for the season.
the others worked for me a while then migrated to the store, to the landscaping companies, then off elsewhere ... wanted to come back to me but i wouldn't have them. they just didn't get it (or didn't want to) they'd see me someplace and be all over me 'oh, my favorite boss. my nicest boss.' but i never wanted to be their boss again.
wink_smile.gif
We had a couple of days like that. I never had to speak to anyone but I did cringe a few times. Then again, I wanted to go away one time in season. Hubs said he would get the housekeeper to come in earlier to serve brekkie. I changed my plans. Cleaning was one thing, but the Salvation Army clothes and the dreadlocks at brekkie were something else altogether.

i have no objection to salvation army clothes ... not sure what you mean? like grunge? torn and dirty looking?
these girls were all about showing skin. and just didn't understand why i made them cover up. yes, even while cleaning. guests are in and out all the time and i don't need exposed backsides complete with tatoos and thong undies showing. ahhh, youth.

i have no objection to salvation army clothes ... not sure what you mean? like grunge? torn and dirty looking?
these girls were all about showing skin. and just didn't understand why i made them cover up. yes, even while cleaning. guests are in and out all the time and i don't need exposed backsides complete with tatoos and thong undies showing. ahhh, youth..
Grunge, yes. 4 different layers. Stripes, plaids, florals. Nothing fit.

OH dear, I wish I had that problem. I am doing all the work myself. The only place that I don't clean is my house, Cindy comes to do that for me. Other than that, I am on my own. This past summer I had, for the first time ever, help that actually did a fantastic job. She is 15 and I had to fire her because of disrespectful behavior but boy could she clean

THE NEXT 50
Once again, do you guys agree/disagree with anything in particular on this list?
51. If there is a service charge, alert your guests when you present the bill. It’s not a secret or a trick.
52. Know your menu inside and out. If you serve Balsam Farm candy-striped beets, know something about Balsam Farm and candy-striped beets.
53. Do not let guests double-order unintentionally; remind the guest who orders ratatouille that zucchini comes with the entree.
54. If there is a prix fixe, let guests know about it. Do not force anyone to ask for the “special” menu.
55. Do not serve an amuse-bouche without detailing the ingredients. Allergies are a serious matter; peanut oil can kill. (This would also be a good time to ask if anyone has any allergies.)
56. Do not ignore a table because it is not your table. Stop, look, listen, lend a hand. (Whether tips are pooled or not.)
57. Bring the pepper mill with the appetizer. Do not make people wait or beg for a condiment.
58. Do not bring judgment with the ketchup. Or mustard. Or hot sauce. Or whatever condiment is requested.
59. Do not leave place settings that are not being used.
60. Bring all the appetizers at the same time, or do not bring the appetizers. Same with entrees and desserts.
61. Do not stand behind someone who is ordering. Make eye contact. Thank him or her.
62. Do not fill the water glass every two minutes, or after each sip. You’ll make people nervous.
62(a). Do not let a glass sit empty for too long.
63. Never blame the chef or the busboy or the hostess or the weather for anything that goes wrong. Just make it right.
64. Specials, spoken and printed, should always have prices.
65. Always remove used silverware and replace it with new.
66. Do not return to the guest anything that falls on the floor — be it napkin, spoon, menu or soy sauce.
67. Never stack the plates on the table. They make a racket. Shhhhhh.
68. Do not reach across one guest to serve another.
69. If a guest is having trouble making a decision, help out. If someone wants to know your life story, keep it short. If someone wants to meet the chef, make an effort.
70. Never deliver a hot plate without warning the guest. And never ask a guest to pass along that hot plate.
71. Do not race around the dining room as if there is a fire in the kitchen or a medical emergency. (Unless there is a fire in the kitchen or a medical emergency.)
72. Do not serve salad on a freezing cold plate; it usually advertises the fact that it has not been freshly prepared.
73. Do not bring soup without a spoon. Few things are more frustrating than a bowl of hot soup with no spoon.
74. Let the guests know the restaurant is out of something before the guests read the menu and order the missing dish.
75. Do not ask if someone is finished when others are still eating that course.
76. Do not ask if a guest is finished the very second the guest is finished. Let guests digest, savor, reflect.
77. Do not disappear.
78. Do not ask, “Are you still working on that?” Dining is not work — until questions like this are asked.
79. When someone orders a drink “straight up,” determine if he wants it “neat” — right out of the bottle — or chilled. Up is up, but “straight up” is debatable.
80. Never insist that a guest settle up at the bar before sitting down; transfer the tab.
81. Know what the bar has in stock before each meal.
82. If you drip or spill something, clean it up, replace it, offer to pay for whatever damage you may have caused. Refrain from touching the wet spots on the guest.
83. Ask if your guest wants his coffee with dessert or after. Same with an after-dinner drink.
84. Do not refill a coffee cup compulsively. Ask if the guest desires a refill.
84(a). Do not let an empty coffee cup sit too long before asking if a refill is desired.
85. Never bring a check until someone asks for it. Then give it to the person who asked for it.
86. If a few people signal for the check, find a neutral place on the table to leave it.
87. Do not stop your excellent service after the check is presented or paid.
88. Do not ask if a guest needs change. Just bring the change.
89. Never patronize a guest who has a complaint or suggestion; listen, take it seriously, address it.
90. If someone is getting agitated or effusive on a cellphone, politely suggest he keep it down or move away from other guests.
91. If someone complains about the music, do something about it, without upsetting the ambiance. (The music is not for the staff — it’s for the customers.)
92. Never play a radio station with commercials or news or talking of any kind.
93. Do not play brass — no brassy Broadway songs, brass bands, marching bands, or big bands that feature brass, except a muted flugelhorn.
94. Do not play an entire CD of any artist. If someone doesn’t like Frightened Rabbit or Michael Bublé, you have just ruined a meal.
95. Never hover long enough to make people feel they are being watched or hurried, especially when they are figuring out the tip or signing for the check.
96. Do not say anything after a tip — be it good, bad, indifferent — except, “Thank you very much.”
97. If a guest goes gaga over a particular dish, get the recipe for him or her.
98. Do not wear too much makeup or jewelry. You know you have too much jewelry when it jingles and/or draws comments.
99. Do not show frustration. Your only mission is to serve. Be patient. It is not easy.
100. Guests, like servers, come in all packages. Show a “good table” your appreciation with a free glass of port, a plate of biscotti or something else management approves.
Bonus Track: As Bill Gates has said, “Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” (Of course, Microsoft is one of the most litigious companies in history, so one can take Mr. Gates’s counsel with a grain of salt. Gray sea salt is a nice addition to any table.)
JB - I LIKE #58
embaressed_smile.gif
I have tomato sauce/Ketchup on the table when eggs are served so there is no embarrassment when asking. (Between you and I, I would like to say "Come on, you're a big boy now! Shhh! Sorry if I offended any ketchupy egg eaters on the forum)

Oh and #94! 94. Do not play an entire CD of any artist. If someone doesn’t like Frightened Rabbit or Michael Bublé, you have just ruined a meal.
I was just gearing up our Best of Bee Gee's for tomorrow! Dang it.
My sister is not a fan of Buble, she can only hear a lisp when he sings and it bothers her.
I think the list is very clever and poignant.
#98 don't wear too much makeup or jewelry - How about perfume! How about tasting the perfume the server is wearing!!! YUK!

THE NEXT 50
Once again, do you guys agree/disagree with anything in particular on this list?
51. If there is a service charge, alert your guests when you present the bill. It’s not a secret or a trick.
52. Know your menu inside and out. If you serve Balsam Farm candy-striped beets, know something about Balsam Farm and candy-striped beets.
53. Do not let guests double-order unintentionally; remind the guest who orders ratatouille that zucchini comes with the entree.
54. If there is a prix fixe, let guests know about it. Do not force anyone to ask for the “special” menu.
55. Do not serve an amuse-bouche without detailing the ingredients. Allergies are a serious matter; peanut oil can kill. (This would also be a good time to ask if anyone has any allergies.)
56. Do not ignore a table because it is not your table. Stop, look, listen, lend a hand. (Whether tips are pooled or not.)
57. Bring the pepper mill with the appetizer. Do not make people wait or beg for a condiment.
58. Do not bring judgment with the ketchup. Or mustard. Or hot sauce. Or whatever condiment is requested.
60. Bring all the appetizers at the same time, or do not bring the appetizers. Same with entrees and desserts.
61. Do not stand behind someone who is ordering. Make eye contact. Thank him or her.
62. Do not fill the water glass every two minutes, or after each sip. You’ll make people nervous.
63. Never blame the chef or the busboy or the hostess or the weather for anything that goes wrong. Just make it right.
66. Do not return to the guest anything that falls on the floor — be it napkin, spoon, menu or soy sauce.
69. If a guest is having trouble making a decision, help out. If someone wants to know your life story, keep it short. If someone wants to meet the chef, make an effort.
70. Never deliver a hot plate without warning the guest. And never ask a guest to pass along that hot plate.
71. Do not race around the dining room as if there is a fire in the kitchen or a medical emergency. (Unless there is a fire in the kitchen or a medical emergency.)
72. Do not serve salad on a freezing cold plate; it usually advertises the fact that it has not been freshly prepared.
73. Do not bring soup without a spoon. Few things are more frustrating than a bowl of hot soup with no spoon.
74. Let the guests know the restaurant is out of something before the guests read the menu and order the missing dish.
76. Do not ask if a guest is finished the very second the guest is finished. Let guests digest, savor, reflect.
77. Do not disappear.
78. Do not ask, “Are you still working on that?” Dining is not work — until questions like this are asked.
79. When someone orders a drink “straight up,” determine if he wants it “neat” — right out of the bottle — or chilled. Up is up, but “straight up” is debatable.
80. Never insist that a guest settle up at the bar before sitting down; transfer the tab.
82. If you drip or spill something, clean it up, replace it, offer to pay for whatever damage you may have caused. Refrain from touching the wet spots on the guest.
83. Ask if your guest wants his coffee with dessert or after. Same with an after-dinner drink.
84(a). Do not let an empty coffee cup sit too long before asking if a refill is desired.
85. Never bring a check until someone asks for it. Then give it to the person who asked for it.
86. If a few people signal for the check, find a neutral place on the table to leave it.
89. Never patronize a guest who has a complaint or suggestion; listen, take it seriously, address it.
90. If someone is getting agitated or effusive on a cellphone, politely suggest he keep it down or move away from other guests.
91. If someone complains about the music, do something about it, without upsetting the ambiance. (The music is not for the staff — it’s for the customers.)
93. Do not play brass — no brassy Broadway songs, brass bands, marching bands, or big bands that feature brass, except a muted flugelhorn.
94. Do not play an entire CD of any artist. If someone doesn’t like Frightened Rabbit or Michael Bublé, you have just ruined a meal.
95. Never hover long enough to make people feel they are being watched or hurried, especially when they are figuring out the tip or signing for the check.
96. Do not say anything after a tip — be it good, bad, indifferent — except, “Thank you very much.”
98. Do not wear too much makeup or jewelry. You know you have too much jewelry when it jingles and/or draws comments.
99. Do not show frustration. Your only mission is to serve. Be patient. It is not easy.
100. Guests, like servers, come in all packages. Show a “good table” your appreciation with a free glass of port, a plate of biscotti or something else management approves.
Bonus Track: As Bill Gates has said, “Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” (Of course, Microsoft is one of the most litigious companies in history, so one can take Mr. Gates’s counsel with a grain of salt. Gray sea salt is a nice addition to any table.)
JB - I LIKE #58
embaressed_smile.gif
I have tomato sauce/Ketchup on the table when eggs are served so there is no embarrassment when asking. (Between you and I, I would like to say "Come on, you're a big boy now! Shhh! Sorry if I offended any ketchupy egg eaters on the forum)
I'm going to have to go thru it, but 68 strikes a chord...When we have parties of 5-8 guests they will insist on pulling tables together (or I will do it for them if I KNOW they are together, sometimes it's a complete surprise that room 1 and room 2 are together!)
This means I HAVE to hand off plates to the person at the end of the table or I have to lean over the backs of some guests to put the plates down across the table.
I'm awful about condiments. I eat everything 'au naturel' as the hot dog lady in Burlington used to say...'Ah, my dear, you are a purist.' So I rarely have ketchup or hot sauce out for the eggs.

THE NEXT 50
77. Do not disappear.
JB - I LIKE #58
embaressed_smile.gif
72 is an odd one given all the salad bar places chill the plates now. I'm used to cold plates for salad! Now a hot plate for a salad would bother me more.

THE NEXT 50
77. Do not disappear.
JB - I LIKE #58
embaressed_smile.gif
72 is an odd one given all the salad bar places chill the plates now. I'm used to cold plates for salad! Now a hot plate for a salad would bother me more.
I had a side salad last night that was from the fridge like that and condensation all over it by the time it reached the table. It was way too chilled. I mean, it was still okay, not too big a deal. I guess they want everyone to feel the food is made fresh when you order it, salad included.
Two nights ago we went to an election celebration for a candidate and the food at a local restaurant that I DO NOT refer guests to and is supposed to be all homemade from scratch - and let me tell you - NOTHING is homemade from scratch - was all fried including the ice water.
cry_smile.gif
It was the most awful food ever! There was not one item on this party boo-fay line that was not fried. The air was filled with grease as well. This is a favorite local steak house. NOPE, not for me.

THE NEXT 50
77. Do not disappear.
JB - I LIKE #58
embaressed_smile.gif
I do like ketchup with my eggs but do not have to have it. I have - because of this Forum - begun to ask if anyone would like salsa or anything else for their eggs.
For the most part, a good list.

Back