Shoe free B&B

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
welcome 4arosa ~
welcome.gif

in light of what people here have posted about having to wear 'special' shoes, what will you do if someone checks in ~ maybe the spouse or more likely a friend of whoever makes the reservation who wasn't thinking this would be an issue for them, despite your reminder on the website and in the confirmation ~ and says 'i must wear my shoes' .... will you make an exception?.
Hi Seashanty,
yes of course would we make exceptions. We do make clear to the guest through the confirmation letter that they are more than willing to bring their own house shoes. The winter is for us the messiest season by a long shot. Snow, sand and dirt is a constant challenge during that time.

I would have a problem with a no shoe policy. My doctor has told me not to go without shoes. But in reality, since I have had both feet broke and a hip replacement, I have to wear tie shoes and can't put on one shoe without helper tools. So if I am in an area that I know I have to take shoes off, I put on crocs so I can slip them on and off. I have a pair of crocs I only wear inside, so I would take those and slip them on for inside wear and have the other crocs for outside wear.

YES, shoe free policy here too. I supply slippers (with my logo and name printed on them) as a take home gift for our guests. When guests arrive I have a new pair waiting with their name on them (little sticker that comes off when they leave) so no one wears anyone else's. I’ve had very few issues over the past 13 years.
On my confirmation letter I state the following:
[COLOR= #000000]‘[/COLOR]It is a Canadian Custom to remove our outside shoes while in our homes. At XXXX B & B we are proud to follow this custom. To make it more comfortable and convenient to our US guests who are not used to this custom, we provide clean spa slippers for indoor use to all our guests (Yours to take home!). If you are in anyway insulted by this custom, we ask you to please contact us before your arrival date. Thank you!’
We do not have this policy because we care more for our wood floors than the guests, it’s because it part of our Canadian culture. A culture I am very proud of. It is out of respect for one another that we remove our shoes when visiting someone home/house. My B&B is in my home and I feel that's why some guests choose a B&B over a hotel, they want the homey atmosphere.
Now, if someone were to inform us ahead of time that they could not wear slippers due to some personal problem, I would suggest they bring there own inside shoes.
Most guests love the slippers and when they return they look forward to getting their new pair. Even had a guests from CA email and ask us if they could buy 4 more pairs as they wanted to start this custom in their own house. I sent them 5 paris, no charge - FREE advertising for me!!
Just finished a 6 month world tour myself. Many counties we visited had a shoes off policy. I think this custom is more prevalent then some people realize..
inn_keeper said:
Just finished a 6 month world tour myself. Many counties we visited had a shoes off policy. I think this custom is more prevalent then some people realize.
We did 6 WEEKS back in 2006 and though we enjoyed it, we were really glad to get home.

I would have a problem with a no shoe policy. My doctor has told me not to go without shoes. But in reality, since I have had both feet broke and a hip replacement, I have to wear tie shoes and can't put on one shoe without helper tools. So if I am in an area that I know I have to take shoes off, I put on crocs so I can slip them on and off. I have a pair of crocs I only wear inside, so I would take those and slip them on for inside wear and have the other crocs for outside wear..
This is hard to believe knowing how hard you work and how you have renovated that house!!

I had to laugh yesterday morning. With this thread at the back of my mind, I greeted our guests as they entered the house after making the 100 yard trek from their cabin to the main house for breakfast. It was pouring rain. We had provided oversized umbrellas, so they stayed mostly dry. As I greeted them, I happened to glance downward. They were both barefooted. They had thoughtfully removed their shoes at the door so that they wouldn't track mud into the house.

Back