Shriek!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Gomez just went out. He left the door off the latch so he could get back in. An early guest just walked into my house.
This part of the house is obviously not guest space. I found him in my bedroom. I yelled at him. Did I mention he scared me?
Then I chased him out and pointed to the other door where the sign is that says guest entrance.
I wasn't particularly nice, but I was helpful in a grumpy sorry of way. Did I mention he scared me???
I told him 'they're not here until 3'. Oh dear. It's not what I meant to say but he scared me!
Now what do I do?

Let Gomez check him in and keep a low profile!
I'd be freaked to find a strange man in my bedroom, too.
You ok?

And who walks into a B & B and goes beyond the entry way? Has he never heard of hollering HELLO? HELLOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Anyone here??
To go far enough to get into your bedroom, he is lucky you did not #1 - shoot him. #2 - call the cops. YOU did nothing wrong. HE DID.

You ok?.
Yeah I'm fine. I told Gomez. He said the guy should understand he was where he didn't belong. He also laughed and said the guy probably now thinks this place is a dump given what he saw of our apartment. Which, of course, is where everything goes to die!
Even our bedroom has 2 extra chairs we're waiting for someone to pick up for us. And the broken TV is in the hallway the guy walked into.
Gomez is off to get a 'private' sign for when we can't latch the door because we're running in and out.

You ok?.
Yeah I'm fine. I told Gomez. He said the guy should understand he was where he didn't belong. He also laughed and said the guy probably now thinks this place is a dump given what he saw of our apartment. Which, of course, is where everything goes to die!
Even our bedroom has 2 extra chairs we're waiting for someone to pick up for us. And the broken TV is in the hallway the guy walked into.
Gomez is off to get a 'private' sign for when we can't latch the door because we're running in and out.
Good idea to get the sign.
we had a woman who wanted to check in at 11:30. Um, not ready yet. she asked to use the bathroom. we don't have a central, extra bathroom, but we are very sensitive to people who have traveled and need to pee. So DH says, sure, you can use ours.
She had to walk over piles of laundry and through our bedroom to our private bathroom. The whole time, she is saying, "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry, I am really sorry."
At least she 'got it' that she was invading our space, and I wasn't the least bit embarrassed to have laundry all over the floor and my toothbrush showing.

Agreed that he deserved to be shrieked at, scolded and shown the door. Normal people don't behave that way. When you encounter someone in your bedroom, that's not the time to be quiet and polite.
angry_smile.gif
Agreed - let Gomez deal with him
I don't want to make trouble. But - please lock that door. If he can get in, someone else can (sign or no sign)

Not that private always stops them - I was washing my hair - fortunately had clothes on , when guests that had already checked in went through 2 doors marked private to "try and find me" I pointed out that We tell everyone to use the contact phone for contact during their stay for just this reason - this is our home and you have just done the equivalent of marching through my front door and starting to wander about! was furious and dripping wet!

You are right. Back in the day I had the door to the dining area/my living quarters locked ... everyone checked out. All exterior doors to the place were locked. Came out of the shower and heard a noise in the front hallway. Opened the door and a man was standing there - he had climbed in through a window up on the third floor off the fire escape decking. Not a guest, he wanted permission to park in the lot for three days. That afternoon I put nails in the window so it could only be raised a few inches then decided to just pull down the storm window and lock the whole business. I was shaky for two days after that. Who behaves that way??

Agreed that he deserved to be shrieked at, scolded and shown the door. Normal people don't behave that way. When you encounter someone in your bedroom, that's not the time to be quiet and polite.
angry_smile.gif
I don't want to make trouble. But - please lock that door. If he can get in, someone else can (sign or no sign).
seashanty said:
angry_smile.gif
I don't want to make trouble. But - please lock that door. If he can get in, someone else can (sign or no sign)
It's a simple screen door. We have a lock for it, it wasn't on because Gomez would need to go thru another door with all the bags.
We're thinking of other options for that door. Maybe even a set of stairs at the back of the house that we could use.

I'm sorry - I understand. I know it's a hassle. (I worry about everything)

Back when we had 3 with shared, I took pity and let a guest who had been here several times with horses use our bathroom as a pity move. She never returned. I do not know if she gave up horses or went elsewhere after that. this was before the kids did a redo of our bathroom - chunks of plaster gone from a leak we could not find for almost 10 years until we put siding on the house, looked like something out of the ghetto..

I believe all doors to private owner space should have its own code lock. Fixes the problem, for the most part. If it is part of the building, there will always be the occasional person who wants to explore, is curious or worse, downright inappropriate.

I freak out when someone has made their way into the main entry, let alone in MY bedroom. Yes, I would shriek possibly loud enough that 911 would not be needed and I don't live in town!
The private sign may help but not sure this dude would take notice. Anyone that would walk past any hint of a public area would not notice the sign. But it is a start.

Hope you're ok, even in this business it is at least disturbing to find strangers in your private quarters.
I've changed the sign on my front door, still they walk in the house. It's right next to the handle.
DSCF3817.JPG

Came out of my bedroom just the other day to be confronted by a couple asking if we had a room. Not only had they completely ignored the sign above, they also walked right past my "No Vacancies" sign and ignored that too.

Hope you're ok, even in this business it is at least disturbing to find strangers in your private quarters.
I've changed the sign on my front door, still they walk in the house. It's right next to the handle.
DSCF3817.JPG

Came out of my bedroom just the other day to be confronted by a couple asking if we had a room. Not only had they completely ignored the sign above, they also walked right past my "No Vacancies" sign and ignored that too..
my no vacancies sign is BIG and right at eye level and still they ring the bell - mind you there are places round me that do not take walk in's so it doesn't necessarily mean they don't have rooms.

Time for guest education I say. Tell him you are sorry you yelled at him, but that he scared the living daylights out of you when you found him in your private bedroom. Tell him there is a sign there, and that you did not expect them in until check-in at 3 p.m. Let HIM apologize.
People need to know they have crossed a line. "put my mother on" and laid the law down on some guests who came in with multiple vehicles and a boat, and parked on the lawn under some trees instead of the parking area where I told them. They had also left garbage near the fire pit the night before, and had a big wad of gum on top of the garbage can. I told them that they could pick up their own trash and move those cars and get that gum off my garbage can. Cars got moved, trash picked up, and they even made their own beds. They have re-booked for August.

Time for guest education I say. Tell him you are sorry you yelled at him, but that he scared the living daylights out of you when you found him in your private bedroom. Tell him there is a sign there, and that you did not expect them in until check-in at 3 p.m. Let HIM apologize.
People need to know they have crossed a line. "put my mother on" and laid the law down on some guests who came in with multiple vehicles and a boat, and parked on the lawn under some trees instead of the parking area where I told them. They had also left garbage near the fire pit the night before, and had a big wad of gum on top of the garbage can. I told them that they could pick up their own trash and move those cars and get that gum off my garbage can. Cars got moved, trash picked up, and they even made their own beds. They have re-booked for August..
He was very sorry. Apologized as soon as he walked in (the right door, at 3pm). We had a laugh.

People need to know they have crossed a line. "put my mother on" and laid the law down on some guests who came in with multiple vehicles and a boat, and parked on the lawn under some trees instead of the parking area where I told them. They had also left garbage near the fire pit the night before, and had a big wad of gum on top of the garbage can. I told them that they could pick up their own trash and move those cars and get that gum off my garbage can. Cars got moved, trash picked up, and they even made their own beds. They have re-booked for August..
He was very sorry. Apologized as soon as he walked in (the right door, at 3pm). We had a laugh.
Glad he/you are O.K. Awkward at best. I am grumpy today, not looking forward to 8 rooms out, 4 in, and more in tomorrow....hot and humid today to boot......Off I go....

Glad he/you are O.K. Awkward at best. I am grumpy today, not looking forward to 8 rooms out, 4 in, and more in tomorrow....hot and humid today to boot......Off I go....
Yes, we are losing our cool, clear weather for incoming heat and humidity. Hopefully we're done cleaning before it hits. It's still pretty cool right now.

Oh wow. That stinks. I'm glad you were both able to laugh about it later. I would have yelled for sure, if DH were here he probably would not have let the guest stay after that, he is even more sensitive than I am about guests in our private areas. Geesh.

Back