Sneezing, watery eyes, gasping for breath...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bree said:
...from 20 feet away. I am in the kitchen and I can smell the perfume IN the guestroom, door is closed. It was like walking into a wall. I couldn't breathe it was so strong.
How the heck can we clean the room if neither of us can go near it?
Wouldn't this be tantamount to having a smoker in a non-smoking room? If you have to go to that much extra time to clean, fumigate, deodorize, disinfect etc. you should be able to charge the same clean-up fee as you would for a smoker. This could conceivably cause major distress for an asthmatic or anyone suffering from allergies, in other words your bottom line. Handle it like you would someone else smoking in that same room.

Bree said:
...from 20 feet away. I am in the kitchen and I can smell the perfume IN the guestroom, door is closed. It was like walking into a wall. I couldn't breathe it was so strong.
Wouldn't this be tantamount to having a smoker in a non-smoking room? If you have to go to that much extra time to clean, fumigate, deodorize, disinfect etc. you should be able to charge the same clean-up fee as you would for a smoker. This could conceivably cause major distress for an asthmatic or anyone suffering from allergies, in other words your bottom line. Handle it like you would someone else smoking in that same room..
Luckily, it seems like they are not using something 'permanent' so the smell dissipated rather well. Tomorrow I will fling open the windows and give it a good airing out. If the bedding smells, that will get washed, same as it would if a smoker were in the room (not smoking, but that smell clings to everything).

Bree said:
Wouldn't this be tantamount to having a smoker in a non-smoking room? If you have to go to that much extra time to clean, fumigate, deodorize, disinfect etc. you should be able to charge the same clean-up fee as you would for a smoker. This could conceivably cause major distress for an asthmatic or anyone suffering from allergies, in other words your bottom line. Handle it like you would someone else smoking in that same room..
Luckily, it seems like they are not using something 'permanent' so the smell dissipated rather well. Tomorrow I will fling open the windows and give it a good airing out. If the bedding smells, that will get washed, same as it would if a smoker were in the room (not smoking, but that smell clings to everything).
Hmm does make me think that a handy thing to have on hand would be window fan you could bring in and set facing out to extract the air out of the room without blowing it in to the rest of the house.
With our cabins we don't have that problem (poluting the rest of the house with the odor as there are multiple windows in all direction). Though there have been times where somebody with too much cologne has tainted the place and left a lasting impression.

Bree said:
Hmm does make me think that a handy thing to have on hand would be window fan you could bring in and set facing out to extract the air out of the room without blowing it in to the rest of the house.
With our cabins we don't have that problem (poluting the rest of the house with the odor as there are multiple windows in all direction). Though there have been times where somebody with too much cologne has tainted the place and left a lasting impression.
Luckily, this room has great ventilation. 5 windows and an outside door. But, yes, there have been times that it was weeks before we stopped smelling the perfume of one guest. I think one of those ionizers comes in handy, but we've never bought one.

Back