Strange Days

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thought you'd all enjoy the thickening plot on this one. Emailed and called the gentleman yesterday to state balance due for the stay and that credit card had not worked. No contact from guest, not a real message on the cell phone either, garbled and then the beep.
Called merchant services today and they stated that the "Please Call" message was coming in from the issuing bank as a decline. Called the issuing bank, it is Schwab One Bank (which means this card is tied to some sort of investment account). Customer service was helpful but of course limited in what they can tell me. She told me the LAST name on the card is correct, but not the first (I actually have TWO first names from this guy, what he made the reservation with and what he signed one of his emails with, but the first name on the card is neither of these names!). She was able to verify that the billing address for the card matches what he gave me on the reservation.
Reverse phone look up on the cell phone number given with the reservation shows a cell phone from TX, reservation and credit card show a MT address. Google the PO BOX address given with the reservation and it is a mail forwarding service for "permanent travelers".
So the address thing makes me think I'm not the first dupe of these two, but the Schwab One account doesn't seem like the kind of "disposable" cc you can get. The bank told me to keep trying the card (wouldn't tell me straight out but I think it is a check card and there are insufficient funds). Maybe I should try charging lesser amounts?.
Wowser!
I would give it a few days (they'll need to restock that card to use it anywhere else) then try the full amount again. If that doesn't work, try half.
I just tried $50 and $25, no dice. No one said so explicitly, but it seems by how quickly the "Please Call" message is coming in that there is some sort of flag on the account...a regular old "decline" it usually goes through its full processing thing which takes a few seconds, this is coming back immediately.
I guess I'm most surprised that nothing like this has ever happened before. Now makes me think I need to start charging at check-in. See Joey how one person can cause a policy change?
I'd file a police report. It won't accomplish anything but have it on record. If you have a 'group' of innkeepers in your area that you know, I'd tell them, too. Just a 'head's up' on this name and to run the card in full on arrival. They may be going all around in your area cheating everyone. At least if you file a report there will be a trail of where they have been.
I am going to file one definitely. I can certainly see now why he just wanted me to "put us down for your best room". I'm quite frankly shocked they booked at all, given all the info you need to give us on the Webervations form.
Fortunately I believe in karma...they'll get theirs eventually. Just ask the group from last night...they are here (finally) for a bike tour and it's pouring right now
teeth_smile.gif

Thought you'd all enjoy the thickening plot on this one. Emailed and called the gentleman yesterday to state balance due for the stay and that credit card had not worked. No contact from guest, not a real message on the cell phone either, garbled and then the beep.
Called merchant services today and they stated that the "Please Call" message was coming in from the issuing bank as a decline. Called the issuing bank, it is Schwab One Bank (which means this card is tied to some sort of investment account). Customer service was helpful but of course limited in what they can tell me. She told me the LAST name on the card is correct, but not the first (I actually have TWO first names from this guy, what he made the reservation with and what he signed one of his emails with, but the first name on the card is neither of these names!). She was able to verify that the billing address for the card matches what he gave me on the reservation.
Reverse phone look up on the cell phone number given with the reservation shows a cell phone from TX, reservation and credit card show a MT address. Google the PO BOX address given with the reservation and it is a mail forwarding service for "permanent travelers".
So the address thing makes me think I'm not the first dupe of these two, but the Schwab One account doesn't seem like the kind of "disposable" cc you can get. The bank told me to keep trying the card (wouldn't tell me straight out but I think it is a check card and there are insufficient funds). Maybe I should try charging lesser amounts?.
Wowser!
I would give it a few days (they'll need to restock that card to use it anywhere else) then try the full amount again. If that doesn't work, try half.
I just tried $50 and $25, no dice. No one said so explicitly, but it seems by how quickly the "Please Call" message is coming in that there is some sort of flag on the account...a regular old "decline" it usually goes through its full processing thing which takes a few seconds, this is coming back immediately.
I guess I'm most surprised that nothing like this has ever happened before. Now makes me think I need to start charging at check-in. See Joey how one person can cause a policy change?
I'd file a police report. It won't accomplish anything but have it on record. If you have a 'group' of innkeepers in your area that you know, I'd tell them, too. Just a 'head's up' on this name and to run the card in full on arrival. They may be going all around in your area cheating everyone. At least if you file a report there will be a trail of where they have been.
I am going to file one definitely. I can certainly see now why he just wanted me to "put us down for your best room". I'm quite frankly shocked they booked at all, given all the info you need to give us on the Webervations form.
Fortunately I believe in karma...they'll get theirs eventually. Just ask the group from last night...they are here (finally) for a bike tour and it's pouring right now
teeth_smile.gif

But look how much of the info is useless...forwarding service mailing address, throw away phone (maybe), different name.

Wowser!
teeth_smile.gif

But look how much of the info is useless...forwarding service mailing address, throw away phone (maybe), different name.
I know, just pretty elaborate set up to cheat me out of one night. I'm too lazy to be a criminal I suppose!

Wowser!
teeth_smile.gif

I know, just pretty elaborate set up to cheat me out of one night. I'm too lazy to be a criminal I suppose!
They may be living like this. Not that I'd want to be on the run all the time, but for some people it's a game.

I would try for about $20 at about the time they tried to check in with you as if they are trying to check in with somewhere else .... there may be money. I am sorry for this to happen to you. It reminds me of a uk forum discussion where the AA inspector was saying it isn't good to charge people on arrival as it looks like you don't trust them. The B&B lady said well I don't! so thats about right! Too many people trying it on right now. I try and get them all to pay on arrival but if you get two at once and someone asking a question it just slipps by. Think I will have to try harder as it just takes one.

I would try for about $20 at about the time they tried to check in with you as if they are trying to check in with somewhere else .... there may be money. I am sorry for this to happen to you. It reminds me of a uk forum discussion where the AA inspector was saying it isn't good to charge people on arrival as it looks like you don't trust them. The B&B lady said well I don't! so thats about right! Too many people trying it on right now. I try and get them all to pay on arrival but if you get two at once and someone asking a question it just slipps by. Think I will have to try harder as it just takes one.

Ok, so sent a second email outlining the steps I'd taken to track him down, how I'd tried to call but phone went right to voice mail but had left message, finding the false name, the forwarded email address info and that if I didn't hear back from him by tomorrow morning I'd be calling the cops as I had no other recourse. Got this back in less than an hour from him:
Madam or Sir,

Your facility was a disappointment and not what was promised as was discussed. That was the reason for our departing when no one was present to help us resolve the problems. While traveling, have had one of our phones cease working and will be back home in about two weeks.

It's not necessary for you to mention that you plan to contact the state police or anyone though that is certainly your privilege if you wish to proceed in that manner. It does not speak well resolving an disagreement nor for relationships that you may have with guests including us. It is unnecessarily offensive to do so.

You made some charges to our company account well prior to our arrival. And, on arrival we offered you our current card in the event of any added charges. You declined.

Once we arrive home, hear from you in writing the details of what your claim consists of, we will respond promptly and appropriately and expect that this matter should be resolved in a fair and equitable way.

As mentioned when the reservation was made, we have owned a hotel in California for many years and have high standards for our personal travel. Many of the deficiencies of your facility were not addressed when the contact was first made with you. We clearly identified ourselves as well into our 70s, not as ambulatory and found it near impossible to negotiate a stairwell that was irregular, not tall enough to stand or step normally and dangerous. Fire and life safety is a necessary element in our travel. It's unfortunate you chose to keep from disclosing this after repeated queries as to the condition of your property.

Sincerely,

ANOTHER name (different from the first two!)

Keep in mind I NEVER spoke to him, he emailed me numerous questions about the area which I answered. He never asked anything about the house. He is also flat out lying about the credit card at checkin, I didn't ask, he didn't offer, and I definitely didn't decline.
[h3] [/h3]
[h3]
[/h3]
[h3] [/h3]

Ok, so sent a second email outlining the steps I'd taken to track him down, how I'd tried to call but phone went right to voice mail but had left message, finding the false name, the forwarded email address info and that if I didn't hear back from him by tomorrow morning I'd be calling the cops as I had no other recourse. Got this back in less than an hour from him:
Madam or Sir,

Your facility was a disappointment and not what was promised as was discussed. That was the reason for our departing when no one was present to help us resolve the problems. While traveling, have had one of our phones cease working and will be back home in about two weeks.

It's not necessary for you to mention that you plan to contact the state police or anyone though that is certainly your privilege if you wish to proceed in that manner. It does not speak well resolving an disagreement nor for relationships that you may have with guests including us. It is unnecessarily offensive to do so.

You made some charges to our company account well prior to our arrival. And, on arrival we offered you our current card in the event of any added charges. You declined.

Once we arrive home, hear from you in writing the details of what your claim consists of, we will respond promptly and appropriately and expect that this matter should be resolved in a fair and equitable way.

As mentioned when the reservation was made, we have owned a hotel in California for many years and have high standards for our personal travel. Many of the deficiencies of your facility were not addressed when the contact was first made with you. We clearly identified ourselves as well into our 70s, not as ambulatory and found it near impossible to negotiate a stairwell that was irregular, not tall enough to stand or step normally and dangerous. Fire and life safety is a necessary element in our travel. It's unfortunate you chose to keep from disclosing this after repeated queries as to the condition of your property.

Sincerely,

Keep in mind I NEVER spoke to him, he emailed me numerous questions about the area which I answered. He never asked anything about the house. He is also flat out lying about the credit card at checkin, I didn't ask, he didn't offer, and I definitely didn't decline.
[h3] [/h3]
[h3]
[/h3]
[h3] [/h3].
This is a professional thief. Contact the police immediately!

Madam or Sir,

Sincerely,

[h3] [/h3]
[h3]
[/h3]
[h3] [/h3].
He's taking the offensive and telling you he will deal with this in weeks, when he returns home. If he got your message or your email, he can handle it now. He's also tryng to keep you off balance by making you think there was something wrong.
Well, you know his plan now. He's going to claim your place was not as described. Hope you have the correspondence filed away.
As for you, you did not know there WAS a 'disagreement'. From your POV what you have is a customer that skipped without paying and had no trouble getting up and down the stairs to do so!

Madam or Sir,

Sincerely,

[h3] [/h3]
[h3]
[/h3]
[h3] [/h3].
Breakfast Diva said:
Agree. As soon as they heard 'police' all of a sudden they had a cellphone that worked, email, etc.

Madam or Sir,

Sincerely,

[h3] [/h3]
[h3]
[/h3]
[h3] [/h3].
Breakfast Diva said:
Agree. As soon as they heard 'police' all of a sudden they had a cellphone that worked, email, etc.
DH just yelled at me for sitting here hemming and hawing about what could have been wrong and what else could we have done. He thinks he's a thief, plain and simple. This has given me such agita. How could I have handled this...I knew in my gut from the beginning I didn't want them here. Should I have just denied the reservation? I've never done that, my luck I'd then get sued for discrimination.
Grrrrr.....

HOLY CRIME SPREE BATMAN!
He thinks by saying deficient that you will back off, don't back off, get this sucker!!

Notice that he never used your name or your b&b's name. This sounds like a generic letter he has used before.
Definitely inform your local b&bs and inform your state association (even if you're not a member). This guy has to be stopped. By any chance, did you see the car he was driving? That info might help the police.
Defrauding an innkeeper is a felony in most state. Book 'em Dano!

Notice that he never used your name or your b&b's name. This sounds like a generic letter he has used before.
Definitely inform your local b&bs and inform your state association (even if you're not a member). This guy has to be stopped. By any chance, did you see the car he was driving? That info might help the police.
Defrauding an innkeeper is a felony in most state. Book 'em Dano!.
I saw the make/color of the car, darn how I wish I had taken a gander at the license plate, even the state would be helpful! Thanks for the support.

Dang! The lengths some people will go to in order to defraud honest, hard-working innkeepers! I would want to know what direction this pair is headed. That e-mail he wrote sounds like canned spam!

Madam or Sir,

Sincerely,

[h3] [/h3]
[h3]
[/h3]
[h3] [/h3].
Breakfast Diva said:
DH just yelled at me for sitting here hemming and hawing about what could have been wrong and what else could we have done. He thinks he's a thief, plain and simple. This has given me such agita. How could I have handled this...I knew in my gut from the beginning I didn't want them here. Should I have just denied the reservation? I've never done that, my luck I'd then get sued for discrimination.
Grrrrr.....
Your gut was right, there was nothing else you could have done but get payment on arrival. My couple of really strong reactions to what I thought would be 'reservations gone bad' were right. But a few were just not bad. They were fine.
You get why I take payment on arrival. I don't want to wonder the whole time they're here if I'm going to have to deal with this.
Not wanting to add anymore stress but...it's NOT you, it's THEM. File the report. Document all of the different names in the report.

Good catch on the generic-ness of the email!

Alibi Ike said:
Just remember some times we removed names to protect the 'inn'ocent on this forum. :)

Madam or Sir,

Sincerely,

[h3] [/h3]
[h3]
[/h3]
[h3] [/h3].
Dial the following phone number: 911
Let them handle it. Print a copy of all email and correspondence. Hand it to them. Print a copy of your terms as posted on your website. Hand it to them. Then go out back, give a primal yell, turn back into the house, composed and relax.

Alibi Ike said:
Just remember some times we removed names to protect the 'inn'ocent on this forum. :)
Right, but DD would just have taken out the name, not put 'your facility' or 'Dear Sir or Madam' when she explicitly called them.
Interesting how ungrammatical some of it is, like sentences were changed to fit the location.

Back