Strawberry Yoghurt Bites

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just by looking at the photo, would you REALLY know that it's jello? Seriously. It doesn't look like Jello. With the addition of yogurt, it probably doesn't have the same mouth-feel as Jello.
Most food we don't like is in our heads anyway. Jello, as polarizing as it it, appears to be that way, too..
Penelope said:
Just by looking at the photo, would you REALLY know that it's jello? Seriously. It doesn't look like Jello. With the addition of yogurt, it probably doesn't have the same mouth-feel as Jello.
Most food we don't like is in our heads anyway. Jello, as polarizing as it it, appears to be that way, too.
Very smooth feeling. Not jello-y at all. The jello really just gives it the firmness to stand up and not slop all over the way yogurt does.

Most food we don't like is in our heads anyway. Jello, as polarizing as it it, appears to be that way, too..
Penelope said:
Most food we don't like is in our heads anyway. Jello, as polarizing as it it, appears to be that way, too.
Very smooth feeling. Not jello-y at all. The jello really just gives it the firmness to stand up and not slop all over the way yogurt does.
Madeleine said:
Penelope said:
That's what I am getting at. The gelatin is what is giving it the ability to be what it is. It's NOT Jello, it's gelatin. You could use plain gelatin with ANY flavoring you want.
People are so....ugh. I don't know. Frustrating. It's hard to read this forum sometimes. I am not sure why I keep coming back. /rant

Penelope said:
Madeleine said:
Penelope said:
That's what I am getting at. The gelatin is what is giving it the ability to be what it is. It's NOT Jello, it's gelatin. You could use plain gelatin with ANY flavoring you want.
People are so....ugh. I don't know. Frustrating. It's hard to read this forum sometimes. I am not sure why I keep coming back. /rant
It's like one big dysfunctional family. Like a road wreck. You don't want to look, but you can't stop yourself. (Actually, that is a newly researched fact...you can't stop yourself from really wanting to look. You may force yourself not too, but you really, deeply have a need to.)
teeth_smile.gif

I've never seen a topic here get this much attention with no controversy (other than the panna cotta). Might have known it would be food that makes everybody so happy and full of smiles!

What about these, has anyone tried this? Seems weird, but might be the right garnish for the right dish...
Frozen Yogurt Dots![/h3]
http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/2012/03/frozen-yogurt-dots.html.
Joey Bloggs said:
What about these, has anyone tried this? Seems weird, but might be the right garnish for the right dish...
Frozen Yogurt Dots![/h3]
http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/2012/03/frozen-yogurt-dots.html
Use them on top of the wigglers. Different colors.
Made the jell-O cups and dots last night and DH loved them. Used a pastry cylinder to pipe "kisses" of lemon Greek Yogurt, topped with a big fresh blueberry, on to a cookie sheet and froze them. When the strawberry "wigglers" were up-ended and un-molded I just slipped a frozen kiss on top. I have frozen all the remaining wigglers to see how they work out when I thaw them. I am hoping they have kept the texture and taste....could be a quick and easy garnish, prepared ahead and frozen.
Loved the lemon yogurt for the kisses. Sorry no pictures...maybe next time.
OK so I froze the stawberry wiggglers with metal mini-cupcake "papers" on for 48 hours and then thawed a few in the refrigerator over night to see how the texture would hold up. They unmolded fine and the tast/texture was great...not grainy or watery. So...looks like I'll be able to make a bunch, freeze them and use them during the busy season as a garnish. Now on to different flavors and panna cotta!

Frozen Yogurt Dots![/h3]
Joey Bloggs said:
Frozen Yogurt Dots![/h3]
Made the jell-O cups and dots last night and DH loved them. Used a pastry cylinder to pipe "kisses" of lemon Greek Yogurt, topped with a big fresh blueberry, on to a cookie sheet and froze them. When the strawberry "wigglers" were up-ended and un-molded I just slipped a frozen kiss on top. I have frozen all the remaining wigglers to see how they work out when I thaw them. I am hoping they have kept the texture and taste....could be a quick and easy garnish, prepared ahead and frozen.
OK so I froze the stawberry wiggglers with metal mini-cupcake "papers" on for 48 hours and then thawed a few in the refrigerator over night to see how the texture would hold up. They unmolded fine and the tast/texture was great...not grainy or watery. So...looks like I'll be able to make a bunch, freeze them and use them during the busy season as a garnish. Now on to different flavors and panna cotta!
I think the metal & paper liners work better, plain paper would have been very soggy by morning. I also found mixing the ingredients in a measuring cup made it easier to pour into the liners.

I've never seen a topic here get this much attention with no controversy (other than the panna cotta). Might have known it would be food that makes everybody so happy and full of smiles!.
Arkansawyer said:
I've never seen a topic here get this much attention with no controversy (other than the panna cotta). Might have known it would be food that makes everybody so happy and full of smiles!
Its the JELLO makes everybody smile!!!!
Or should I say gelatin. It still wiggles and even as adults most of us can't ignore cute food.

I've never seen a topic here get this much attention with no controversy (other than the panna cotta). Might have known it would be food that makes everybody so happy and full of smiles!.
Arkansawyer said:
Arks did you have to bring up the Panna Cotta Controversy again.
wink_smile.gif

Now if Daniel Craig doesn't take THAT as a title for one of his B&B/INN murder mysteries I won't know what to say

Frozen Yogurt Dots![/h3]
Joey Bloggs said:
Frozen Yogurt Dots![/h3]
I think the metal & paper liners work better, plain paper would have been very soggy by morning. I also found mixing the ingredients in a measuring cup made it easier to pour into the liners.
I made them last night, and using a large measuring cup makes sense. I thought of it ONLY after taking out of the microwave. We ate them all!!

Frozen Yogurt Dots![/h3]
Joey Bloggs said:
Frozen Yogurt Dots![/h3]
Silverspoon said:
Good to know they freeze well, my test batch didn't last that long.

Even I tried out this recipe. I say this because I'm less adventurous than many of you. I tried to use a large measuring cup to measure 18oz yogurt instead of opening 3 little containers, which I rarely buy. It really was very easy to pour from measuring cup to mini muffin tins. I must have mis-measured because I filled 24 cups completely to the top. I used the metal cups but really couldn't get them peeled off the jigglers after an hour of refrigeration, so I just stuck the sliced strawberries on the top and left them in the cups.
Took them to a ladies' group this am and had lots of positive compliments. Anybody else have trouble peeling off the papers?

Even I tried out this recipe. I say this because I'm less adventurous than many of you. I tried to use a large measuring cup to measure 18oz yogurt instead of opening 3 little containers, which I rarely buy. It really was very easy to pour from measuring cup to mini muffin tins. I must have mis-measured because I filled 24 cups completely to the top. I used the metal cups but really couldn't get them peeled off the jigglers after an hour of refrigeration, so I just stuck the sliced strawberries on the top and left them in the cups.
Took them to a ladies' group this am and had lots of positive compliments. Anybody else have trouble peeling off the papers?.
Did you have the paper-lined metal ones or just plain aluminum? I peeled the aluminum off first and then went to work on the paper. I got 12 out of the mixture! I think I had slightly larger than mini papers, tho. They didn't quite fit into the mini muffin pan that I used to hold them steady.

Making them in lime green for tomorrow's breakfast..
Madeleine, what flavor yogurt are you going to use? And what fruit on top?
I just made them (stove top since no nuker) with vanilla yogurt and sugar-free lime gelatin (store brand). Since I spooned what was left in the pan into ME, I can tell you it tasted like lime. I have some frozen strawberries in the freezer and will top with a strawberry (they are for us anyway). I need to get some mini liners. It made 6 cupcake size. they are in the fridge now.

Took them to a ladies' group this am and had lots of positive compliments. Anybody else have trouble peeling off the papers?.
Did you have the paper-lined metal ones or just plain aluminum? I peeled the aluminum off first and then went to work on the paper. I got 12 out of the mixture! I think I had slightly larger than mini papers, tho. They didn't quite fit into the mini muffin pan that I used to hold them steady.
I used both the paper and the plain metal. I liked them both out of the refrigerator but the metal ones were much easier to unmold once I froze and thawed the jigglers. The paper got kind of mushy once they were thawed out, and the gelatin stuck to it. The metal ones were a snap to unmold once they thawed out.

Mtatoc said:
I went with your guy's suggestion of key lime. I didn't add the graham cracker crust. So, key lime yogurt and key lime jello. Topping with blueberries. LOVE that color combo.DH bought a lime, so I will slice that and add it to the plate.

I just made them (stove top since no nuker) with vanilla yogurt and sugar-free lime gelatin (store brand). Since I spooned what was left in the pan into ME, I can tell you it tasted like lime. I have some frozen strawberries in the freezer and will top with a strawberry (they are for us anyway). I need to get some mini liners. It made 6 cupcake size. they are in the fridge now.
I'm not convinced it evens needs to be heated. Just have to dissolve the gelatin. Someone correct me if I'm wrong about heating the gelatin to make it set up properly.

I'm not convinced it evens needs to be heated. Just have to dissolve the gelatin. Someone correct me if I'm wrong about heating the gelatin to make it set up properly.
That is what I was thinking as I stirred it in. I did not get it very hot on the stove. More warmed. I just stirred until it looked like it was smooth and no crystals. Will let you know how it turns out. Figured on high in a nuker would make it real hot.

Madeleine said:
From my experience, 5 minutes is too many. I would amend the recipe to stir after each minute, and it might be done at 1 or 2.

Back