Suggestions for approaching guests who have no concept of a "check - out time"?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes I knock and Say oh did you need any help with your luggage? Or sometimes the chamber maid will knock and say oh I asumed because it is after 11 the room was unoccupied as that is check out time (I only do this for people who are really late) I had a couple recently at 12 grrr I only make a deal out of it if it is holding up housekeeping but I do think it is quite rude.

I ask them if they think they're going to need a few extra minutes to checkout.
Then I am specific about how much extra time they can have. "It's 11:15 now, how does 11:30 sound?"

Try using a vac in the room next to them - whether it needs it or not!
Or perhaps knock and tell them you are sorry but you have a commitment in an hour since checkout is at xx you are expected to be there. Do you need help with your luggage? This is one I plan to remember for me! I had those guests of yours once and was so dumbfounded I just sat there and stewed. I thought of the approach on hindsight!

Seriously, we are always some of the B&B guests that seem to leave at the last possible moment before check-out. Part of it now is that it just takes my dh more time to get it together in the morning. The other part is that we're usually having such a good time that we don't want to leave!
When we had guests like US checking out, I'd try to catch them at breakfast and ask if they needed help with their bags, directions, etc. It seemed to help get them moving on their way. I truly believe that most of the time that our folks that were lingering were taking their time because they had enjoyed their stay.

Just knock on the door and politely say, check out time is at xxx. I need to get this room cleaned for the next guests. Thank you.

I really Cam's idea of knocking and offering to carry the bags out to the car for them. We had guests last week who overstayed by an hour and I was getting peeved as we were doing all the cleaning that day and I expected them to be gone so I could get on with my day.
Gomez looked out the window and said, 'Here's comes the luggage.' (at 11:30) I looked out a few minutes later and said, 'He's WASHING the car!'
Sure enough, he had all this stuff out in the driveway and was cleaning the windows, the chrome, the mirrors and she was still in the room.
Once we were done cleaning the room we were in, we went and knocked on the door. No clue there was a check out time (yeah, right) and that they were waaaay over it. (We have the time posted on the back of the door, just like a hotel, can't miss it.)
I have come to dread the guests who are going to 'just run down the street for a minute,' 'go to church,' 'take a walk around town.' They return to the room and pretend that hour or two they were gone doesn't count and that they still have that time to spend in the room.
It was hot outside so they need another shower. They need to check email. They need...

Seriously, we are always some of the B&B guests that seem to leave at the last possible moment before check-out. Part of it now is that it just takes my dh more time to get it together in the morning. The other part is that we're usually having such a good time that we don't want to leave!
When we had guests like US checking out, I'd try to catch them at breakfast and ask if they needed help with their bags, directions, etc. It seemed to help get them moving on their way. I truly believe that most of the time that our folks that were lingering were taking their time because they had enjoyed their stay..
Our "lates" just decided to take a nap - un-huh.....

When we had guests like US checking out, I'd try to catch them at breakfast and ask if they needed help with their bags, directions, etc. It seemed to help get them moving on their way. I truly believe that most of the time that our folks that were lingering were taking their time because they had enjoyed their stay..
gillumhouse said:
lol. mine too. much noise and moaning preceeded the nap.

I really Cam's idea of knocking and offering to carry the bags out to the car for them. We had guests last week who overstayed by an hour and I was getting peeved as we were doing all the cleaning that day and I expected them to be gone so I could get on with my day.
Gomez looked out the window and said, 'Here's comes the luggage.' (at 11:30) I looked out a few minutes later and said, 'He's WASHING the car!'
Sure enough, he had all this stuff out in the driveway and was cleaning the windows, the chrome, the mirrors and she was still in the room.
Once we were done cleaning the room we were in, we went and knocked on the door. No clue there was a check out time (yeah, right) and that they were waaaay over it. (We have the time posted on the back of the door, just like a hotel, can't miss it.)
I have come to dread the guests who are going to 'just run down the street for a minute,' 'go to church,' 'take a walk around town.' They return to the room and pretend that hour or two they were gone doesn't count and that they still have that time to spend in the room.
It was hot outside so they need another shower. They need to check email. They need....
Unfortunately, it does have to be handled just so. Because a grouchy innkeeper trying to get in to clean a room can undo a guest's wonderful experience with you.
There are plenty of places that are offering complimentary later check-outs on Sundays too which doesn't help.

I do not mind (usually) when they try stretch it out 10-15 minutes but after that they are cutting into MY time.
Had guests a couple of months ago that really pushed my envelope. They came down 15 minutes after the end of breakfast FOR breakfast. We mentioned in passing of the time. Then they went back to their room and not a single peep out of them check out time came and went. Not a peep, so I did the cleaning of the 2 rooms on either side - a little LOUDER than normal to try to get a stir. Nothing. At 1 1/2 hours after check out, I told DH that I was going to their door. tap, tap - nothing. Knock, Knock - nothing. Bang, Bang - nothing. BANG, BANG, BANK - nothing - oh then I hear water running. I knock one last time, determined to TELL them. He finally comes to the door, talking through the door. Yes, one of those "sorry we fell back to sleep" as I hear the shower going. It did not help that they had been a pain in my side from the moment they arrived so I told them that if they were not out by 2 they would be charged our late checkout fee of $30 per hour or portion there of after check out. That was the match that had the perfect flame.
angry_smile.gif

Camb, I hope to remember your bagage trick for the next time.

I do not mind (usually) when they try stretch it out 10-15 minutes but after that they are cutting into MY time.
Had guests a couple of months ago that really pushed my envelope. They came down 15 minutes after the end of breakfast FOR breakfast. We mentioned in passing of the time. Then they went back to their room and not a single peep out of them check out time came and went. Not a peep, so I did the cleaning of the 2 rooms on either side - a little LOUDER than normal to try to get a stir. Nothing. At 1 1/2 hours after check out, I told DH that I was going to their door. tap, tap - nothing. Knock, Knock - nothing. Bang, Bang - nothing. BANG, BANG, BANK - nothing - oh then I hear water running. I knock one last time, determined to TELL them. He finally comes to the door, talking through the door. Yes, one of those "sorry we fell back to sleep" as I hear the shower going. It did not help that they had been a pain in my side from the moment they arrived so I told them that if they were not out by 2 they would be charged our late checkout fee of $30 per hour or portion there of after check out. That was the match that had the perfect flame.
angry_smile.gif

Camb, I hope to remember your bagage trick for the next time..
copperhead said:
I'll give them those 10 or 15 minutes before knocking and asking if they need a few extra minutes.
If I give them another 15 minutes (or another 30 minutes), I'm knocking again 5 minutes after the agreed upon time.
On the 2nd knock I ask if they need help with their bags.
If it takes a 3rd knock, that's when I'll say that I'm sorry but we really do need to get in the room now to prepare it for the next guest.
But most of the time, only 1 reminder is enough.

1 1/2 hours ? i'd be at the door with the vacume cleaner ... crazy! EVERY place you stay ... hotels included ... has a check out time.

worst one I ever had was when I worked at Grants Hotel as one of the guest perks you had free use of the local gym. So at 8am he went out to the gym (Check out was 11am so plenty of time) he didn't come back till 2pm and we needed the room and we had been ringing him like mad he was like Oh I thought check out was 2pm! Yes and check in is 2.30 so the housekeepers do 42 bedrooms in 30 mins how likely is that! What a complete inconsiderate idiot! We were doubly worried we had somehow made a mistake and he was actually staying hence majour panic as we were full.

1 1/2 hours ? i'd be at the door with the vacume cleaner ... crazy! EVERY place you stay ... hotels included ... has a check out time..
Believe me I was NOT quiet and my room doors share a common vestibule which was also vacuumed in an effort to get their attention. This happened to be one of the rare times that DH was not motivated to help me with the matter. I finally told him that if he wanted to be the one to clean that room in record time, then I will be happy to let them alone. But if I was going to do the room, he better back me up and help me get these freeloaders (at that time of the day that is exactly what they were) out of that room ASAP. (I had 5 rooms to flip that day and no early departures to ease that task and all my check ins were traveling together and checking in at 3.)
Most of the time our personalities really do even out each other. When I am high strung, he puts me at ease and vice/versa. That day I needed him to be as demanding as me.

1 1/2 hours ? i'd be at the door with the vacume cleaner ... crazy! EVERY place you stay ... hotels included ... has a check out time..
Believe me I was NOT quiet and my room doors share a common vestibule which was also vacuumed in an effort to get their attention. This happened to be one of the rare times that DH was not motivated to help me with the matter. I finally told him that if he wanted to be the one to clean that room in record time, then I will be happy to let them alone. But if I was going to do the room, he better back me up and help me get these freeloaders (at that time of the day that is exactly what they were) out of that room ASAP. (I had 5 rooms to flip that day and no early departures to ease that task and all my check ins were traveling together and checking in at 3.)
Most of the time our personalities really do even out each other. When I am high strung, he puts me at ease and vice/versa. That day I needed him to be as demanding as me.
When Gomez is riled, I know they've overstayed their welcome. I get antsy at 11 on the dot. Then I make allowances for the different clocks. But once he's said, 'They aren't gone yet?' I know he's going to knock on the door.
Our worst one was a woman who was mad at the world. At this stage I really don't know how it all started but she left here in a huff at 10 AM saying she was going shopping and she'd be back 'whenever'. We told her check-out was 11 and she glared and smirked and off she went.
At 1 PM I was ready to pack her things and put her bags outside and that's when she walked in. It's a wonder the chip on her shoulder didn't tip her right over. She was spoiling for a fight with me (again, I still don't know why) and I wished her a happy day, took the key and walked off. Her husband (God help him) laughed. That's when I knew that even tho she overstayed and didn't pay, I'd 'won' by not fighting her.
But I don't like these situations at all. Knocking on doors and seeing they haven't even packed and it's 11:30 or hearing the shower running, all of that bothers me. Either they really don't think it's a problem or they are used to not being hassled in hotels because there are so many rooms to clean no one will care if they stay longer.
However, we had a late checkout in DC and housekeeping was knocking on the door every half hour asking us when we were leaving. We told them once that we weren't leaving until 2 PM, that we had a late check-out and then we stopped answering the door. They let themselves in and we told them to leave. It was NOT at all comfortable.

Speaking of late check outs:
Six month ago a group stayed at our b & b, they were all relatives staying over night for a relative's memorial service.
The person in charge told me that they would all like to have breakfast at 9:30 am. which I agreed to.
One person did not come down for breakfast....the drunk brother. The person in charge told me not to bother with him if he wants to sleep in, let him. So he woke up just before check out time at 11:00 and of course breakfast was over and dishes all cleared away.
This week I received this letter from the drunken brother, who can't spell and who obviously is also nutso!
Hello, My brother who is 4 years younger arranged for a family get together at your abode bed @ breakfast Inn 6 months ago - but I'm going to say my piece here - I am the Master of the family upon both my parents Death in the last 5 years - I fixed and controlled problems that needed to be done legally - I did not like or appreciate the next morning after feeding other relatives around 9:30 am in the morning your breakfast - I don't want to here you shut it down like McDonalds before at 11:00 AM in the morning to cover your ass - you new I was there - I walked around your old house there about just before 11:00 AM morning- there was drinking the night before - however there was not even a crappy warm glass of water let alone a rotten muffin to eat - you did not do your job right that weekend - weather a parent dies or not I will say my piece as a big City Longshoreman - I'm not small town - I expect performance!!! -
It takes all kinds and we have to put up with that. I did not respond to his letter and never will.

Speaking of late check outs:
Six month ago a group stayed at our b & b, they were all relatives staying over night for a relative's memorial service.
The person in charge told me that they would all like to have breakfast at 9:30 am. which I agreed to.
One person did not come down for breakfast....the drunk brother. The person in charge told me not to bother with him if he wants to sleep in, let him. So he woke up just before check out time at 11:00 and of course breakfast was over and dishes all cleared away.
This week I received this letter from the drunken brother, who can't spell and who obviously is also nutso!
Hello, My brother who is 4 years younger arranged for a family get together at your abode bed @ breakfast Inn 6 months ago - but I'm going to say my piece here - I am the Master of the family upon both my parents Death in the last 5 years - I fixed and controlled problems that needed to be done legally - I did not like or appreciate the next morning after feeding other relatives around 9:30 am in the morning your breakfast - I don't want to here you shut it down like McDonalds before at 11:00 AM in the morning to cover your ass - you new I was there - I walked around your old house there about just before 11:00 AM morning- there was drinking the night before - however there was not even a crappy warm glass of water let alone a rotten muffin to eat - you did not do your job right that weekend - weather a parent dies or not I will say my piece as a big City Longshoreman - I'm not small town - I expect performance!!! -
It takes all kinds and we have to put up with that. I did not respond to his letter and never will..
Whirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr YES! I thought I heard the shredder. Just where it belongs. BTW - I think he just insulted Big City longshoremen. He really did not have to tell you he was from the big city. Small towns are usually more polite.

Wedding funerals and graduations...I wish we could say NO B&B STAY FOR YOU. Vic he was such a maniac there was no need to listen to his ranting at all.
For anyone new to this business, this is OUR BUSINESS we run it how we choose to run it, we MAKE THE RULES. WE, not the guest. The guest can follow them or take a hike.
Sorry, that just irritates the heck out of me.
I have a really bad cold right now and way too much on and I am not about to OFFER myself as I can barely stand two minutes without coughing and wheezing. You get what you paid for, you get what we offered you, there are not secrets like kitchen is open all day...
Isn't time wonderful...all things get better with time. Today is a new day. Tomorrow an even newer one! I look forward to that!

Back