Suggestions for approaching guests who have no concept of a "check - out time"?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PS I meant re guests who take and take and take some more...(Sorry my edit is not popping up in time) bye

Speaking of late check outs:
Six month ago a group stayed at our b & b, they were all relatives staying over night for a relative's memorial service.
The person in charge told me that they would all like to have breakfast at 9:30 am. which I agreed to.
One person did not come down for breakfast....the drunk brother. The person in charge told me not to bother with him if he wants to sleep in, let him. So he woke up just before check out time at 11:00 and of course breakfast was over and dishes all cleared away.
This week I received this letter from the drunken brother, who can't spell and who obviously is also nutso!
Hello, My brother who is 4 years younger arranged for a family get together at your abode bed @ breakfast Inn 6 months ago - but I'm going to say my piece here - I am the Master of the family upon both my parents Death in the last 5 years - I fixed and controlled problems that needed to be done legally - I did not like or appreciate the next morning after feeding other relatives around 9:30 am in the morning your breakfast - I don't want to here you shut it down like McDonalds before at 11:00 AM in the morning to cover your ass - you new I was there - I walked around your old house there about just before 11:00 AM morning- there was drinking the night before - however there was not even a crappy warm glass of water let alone a rotten muffin to eat - you did not do your job right that weekend - weather a parent dies or not I will say my piece as a big City Longshoreman - I'm not small town - I expect performance!!! -
It takes all kinds and we have to put up with that. I did not respond to his letter and never will..
Wowza! No wonder everyone else let him sleep!

Six month ago a group stayed at our b & b, they were all relatives staying over night for a relative's memorial service.
The person in charge told me that they would all like to have breakfast at 9:30 am. which I agreed to.
One person did not come down for breakfast....the drunk brother. The person in charge told me not to bother with him if he wants to sleep in, let him. So he woke up just before check out time at 11:00 and of course breakfast was over and dishes all cleared away.
This week I received this letter from the drunken brother, who can't spell and who obviously is also nutso!
Hello, My brother who is 4 years younger arranged for a family get together at your abode bed @ breakfast Inn 6 months ago - but I'm going to say my piece here - I am the Master of the family upon both my parents Death in the last 5 years - I fixed and controlled problems that needed to be done legally - I did not like or appreciate the next morning after feeding other relatives around 9:30 am in the morning your breakfast - I don't want to here you shut it down like McDonalds before at 11:00 AM in the morning to cover your ass - you new I was there - I walked around your old house there about just before 11:00 AM morning- there was drinking the night before - however there was not even a crappy warm glass of water let alone a rotten muffin to eat - you did not do your job right that weekend - weather a parent dies or not I will say my piece as a big City Longshoreman - I'm not small town - I expect performance!!! -
It takes all kinds and we have to put up with that. I did not respond to his letter and never will..
Victoria said:
He must not have been too upset if he waited 6 months to b#tch about it. Probably good and drunk again when he wrote it....I can just see all his drunk friends crowded around the 'puter egging him on. What a DORK.

Victoria said:
He must not have been too upset if he waited 6 months to b#tch about it. Probably good and drunk again when he wrote it....I can just see all his drunk friends crowded around the 'puter egging him on. What a DORK.
I disagree. I think it took him 6 months to sober up enough to write anything THIS readable.

Victoria said:
I'm thinking his siblings are still giving HIM hell over how he acted and most likely mentioned you or the B&B in their statements. He in turn felt that at least he could sound off at you. As gillum said, shred away and brush that off your shoulder. He is a moron.

To continue the story, that drunk brother (who I believe lives in Florida) sent a cc of that letter to his sober brother , the one who organized the entire stay.
The sober brother just emailed his drunken brother with a cc to me and this I am copying and pasting.
it below.
That was a foolish e-mail you sent to ____________! A bed and breakfast is not a hotel. It is like staying in someone's home and they are entitled to set breakfast times. It is part of the agreement one makes when you stay in someone's home, albeit, even if it is a "paid for" visit. You should apologize to them.

_______went out of her way to make the event successful and provided many things beyond which she was required to do - I can give you a list if I must. The event was extremely successful, and the owners never complained once about how late we stayed up, and how much drinking we did, or the mess we made. Many Inn owners would not have put up with us.

If I had known you were that hungry, we could have stopped somewhere on the way back to Regina, and I would have been happy to pay for it. Please remember I paid for your room, so you have no right to complain on my behalf. It's disgraceful and embarassing! You need to learn to weigh the benefits against a small inconvenience such as missing your breakfast.

But I would have been happier if he had gone and punched his brother's light out!!! I have no idea what a Big city shoreman is as we live in Western Canada.

To continue the story, that drunk brother (who I believe lives in Florida) sent a cc of that letter to his sober brother , the one who organized the entire stay.
The sober brother just emailed his drunken brother with a cc to me and this I am copying and pasting.
it below.
That was a foolish e-mail you sent to ____________! A bed and breakfast is not a hotel. It is like staying in someone's home and they are entitled to set breakfast times. It is part of the agreement one makes when you stay in someone's home, albeit, even if it is a "paid for" visit. You should apologize to them.

_______went out of her way to make the event successful and provided many things beyond which she was required to do - I can give you a list if I must. The event was extremely successful, and the owners never complained once about how late we stayed up, and how much drinking we did, or the mess we made. Many Inn owners would not have put up with us.

If I had known you were that hungry, we could have stopped somewhere on the way back to Regina, and I would have been happy to pay for it. Please remember I paid for your room, so you have no right to complain on my behalf. It's disgraceful and embarassing! You need to learn to weigh the benefits against a small inconvenience such as missing your breakfast.

But I would have been happier if he had gone and punched his brother's light out!!! I have no idea what a Big city shoreman is as we live in Western Canada..
Good O for the brother! Now let's see him write you up and give you five stars on TripAdvisor!
Riki

it below.

But I would have been happier if he had gone and punched his brother's light out!!! I have no idea what a Big city shoreman is as we live in Western Canada..
It must be awful to have a brother like that you could not take him anywhere and would be constantly embarased thank goodness your having to put up with him for one day was bad enough but imagin what it must be like to have him full time! Glad to hear the brother at least seems a decent sort and understands B&B protocol.

I'm impressed with the "other brother", a real stand-up guy. Always best to do the right thing!

it below.

.... Please remember I paid for your room, so you have no right to complain on my behalf. It's disgraceful and embarassing! You need to learn to weigh the benefits against a small inconvenience such as missing your breakfast.Ahhh! Typical! I do not understand it but those that are being 'treated' to a stay seem to be the worst ones. Why is that????
But it does sound like this brother must be a problem for the rest of the family all the time. I have one of those in my family too.
embaressed_smile.gif
Though I do try to avoid being in a public place with them.

Hate to say it, but there is one in EVERY FAMILY..
I am only suspicious when people tell me that everyone in their family is just wonderful and everyone gets along all the time. Yeah, right.
Every family has its crazies. It's the nature of the beast.

Try using a vac in the room next to them - whether it needs it or not!
Or perhaps knock and tell them you are sorry but you have a commitment in an hour since checkout is at xx you are expected to be there. Do you need help with your luggage? This is one I plan to remember for me! I had those guests of yours once and was so dumbfounded I just sat there and stewed. I thought of the approach on hindsight!.
gillumhouse said:
Try using a vac in the room next to them - whether it needs it or not!
How about vaccuming the room they are still occupying while they're in it.

Hate to say it, but there is one in EVERY FAMILY..
I am only suspicious when people tell me that everyone in their family is just wonderful and everyone gets along all the time. Yeah, right.
Innkeeper To Go said:
Indeed, and a visit to a B&B for a family event brings it out ...
... of course, considering my own family, I won't be casting any stones.

Latest posts

Back