Sweet breakfast?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm all ears on this one, too. Pancakes, waffles, and french toast pretty much cover the sweet side of breakfast as I know it. I tried crepes one time, and was too time consuming.
I get tired of cooking the same thing, too, but then I have to remember who I'm cooking for and that my guests aren't tired of this. They really look forward to the things like Bananas Foster French Toast, or Apple and Cream Cheese Stuffed French Toast, while sometimes, I'm just content with a bowl of cold cereal. My guests really look forward to things like this because they are things they don't make at home and can't get at the drive-thru either..
Explain the apple cream cheese french toast. (Yeah, yeah, I know I said I was tired of the stuffed FT!) And what is bananas foster FT?
I want him to share the Bananas Foster so I'll get the apple & cream cheese French toast out of the way LOL
The recipe works well for 6 but the prep for 16 might be more pain than it is worth. Get yourself an apple peeler/corer if you plan to do it more than once. ;)
Hey, that's a neat recipe card!
We do this one without the cream cheese and the second slice of bread...apple ginger upside down french toast.
Yah somebody I know makes a living making this kind of techno stuff ... the cool part is when you click the Print tab. ;)
The apple ginger upside down french toast ... is that baked? If so, how do you make enough for 16 people in one shot?
Yes, the apple-ginger is baked. Hubs makes 2 full 9x13 baking dishes (and usually one or two loaf-size pans).
If the question was really, 'How do you keep that fresh for 16 guests?' the answer is that it's always best to get to the dining room as near to 8 AM as possible.
The 'secret' to this one is to cut some 'toast soldiers' up and stuff them in where the bread slices don't quite touch the sides. This makes the whole thing puff right up with steam. (And it gives me something to eat because I don't like the apples & ginger, but I love the bread cooked in eggs & maple syrup!)
Nah it wasn't so much about how to keep them fresh, it was more related to how do you get them all to fit in one oven.
2 racks. 1- 9x13 and 1- loaf pan on each rack.

You can serve a variation of the French toast by using croissants and then some different kind of fruit. Belgian Waffles work well for me, even with a larger group. I've found that 3 sections out of the 4 from my waffle iron are plenty for folks. When I was giving them the whole thing, they were only eating 3 of them anyway. I don't serve the whole waffle on the plate, but separate the sections & line them up in the middle with the fruit on one side & the breakfast meat on the other. Dust the whole thing with powdered sugar.
I wish I had the recipe for this baked sausage & apple thing that was actually sweet but I don't.
Has anyone served some kind of bread pudding with fruit for a sweet breakfast entree??.
The morning after one of my dinners I serve either blueberry or peach bread pudding as the breakfast entree. I have maple syrup on the table but the recipe (and me) prefer vanilla yogurt slathered over the bread pudding. (I use the left over French bread and any English muffin bread from breakfast to make the bread pudding.)

You can serve a variation of the French toast by using croissants and then some different kind of fruit. Belgian Waffles work well for me, even with a larger group. I've found that 3 sections out of the 4 from my waffle iron are plenty for folks. When I was giving them the whole thing, they were only eating 3 of them anyway. I don't serve the whole waffle on the plate, but separate the sections & line them up in the middle with the fruit on one side & the breakfast meat on the other. Dust the whole thing with powdered sugar.
I wish I had the recipe for this baked sausage & apple thing that was actually sweet but I don't.
Has anyone served some kind of bread pudding with fruit for a sweet breakfast entree??.
Samster said:
Has anyone served some kind of bread pudding with fruit for a sweet breakfast entree??
You brought to mind one of my alltime favorite breakfast sweet and savory dishes! I have not had this for two dozen years and I love it. LOOOOOOOOVE IT.
This is a bad photo of it - but you dist with powdered sugar and inside you have strawberry jam!! MMMMM Here is another Monte Cristo Sandwich
Here is a better example. A simple sandwcih, like a grilled cheese as a CLUB SAND with preserves inside and to dip and sprinkled with powdered sugar.
ah ha!
1950s - Although there are no existing documents to support this, it is felt that the Monte Cristo Sandwich was first served in southern California in the 1950s.
1966 - [COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]Disneyland in Anaheim, California also contributed to the trend of eating this sandwich. In 1966, it appeared on their menu of the Blue Bayou and Tahitian Terrace restaurants in New Orleans’s Square in Disneyland and has continued to be a popular menu item to this day. [/COLOR]
I'm sorry, are you saying you put jelly on a Monte Cristo sandwich? Perfidy! Sacrilege!
Bree said:
I'm sorry, are you saying you put jelly on a Monte Cristo sandwich? Perfidy! Sacrilege!
PRESERVES preferably stawberry. YES! YES! YES! I SHOUT SO OUR GUESTS CAN HEAR! ABSOLUTELY! That is why they also serve it on the side as some extra.

When we have a large crowd (our record is 25 people) I usualy make the crapes. Start about 30 min. before the time and keep piling them one on top of the other. They will keep warm. Night before to save the time lightly cook fruit, whatever is in the season with a but of sugar if needed. Do not overcook, just a bit. As guests are having their coffee and fruit salad I start with rolling the crapes. Inside goes fruit and a good size spoon of cottage cheese. If you have another pan you can keep them warm or put them into the warm oven. Once on the plate drizzle with a chocolate syrup. Looks very fancy and so far everbody loves them.
My challenge is wafles. I tryied may recepies and they always stick to the iron. What am I doing wrong?

When we have a large crowd (our record is 25 people) I usualy make the crapes. Start about 30 min. before the time and keep piling them one on top of the other. They will keep warm. Night before to save the time lightly cook fruit, whatever is in the season with a but of sugar if needed. Do not overcook, just a bit. As guests are having their coffee and fruit salad I start with rolling the crapes. Inside goes fruit and a good size spoon of cottage cheese. If you have another pan you can keep them warm or put them into the warm oven. Once on the plate drizzle with a chocolate syrup. Looks very fancy and so far everbody loves them.
My challenge is wafles. I tryied may recepies and they always stick to the iron. What am I doing wrong?.
You need oil in the waffle batter, spray the iron very well with cooking spray,& make sure the iron is hot enough before you pour the batter in. They shouldn't stick :)

Iron is hot, I put oil in the mix and brush on some more on and.....remove them in pieces!
sad_smile.gif

Iron is hot, I put oil in the mix and brush on some more on and.....remove them in pieces!
sad_smile.gif
Hmmm...maybe your waffle iron is to blame. I use cooking spray vs. brushing the oil on. Maybe that reaches all the crevices of my waffle iron? :)

If your waffles aren't cooked all the way through they will stick, too.
=)
Kk.

I love to make crepes too. You can prep most all of it the night before...these are not time consuming
Crepes: 1 cup flour, 1 cup milk, 2 tbsp sugar , 2 eggs.
Filling: fresh or frozen berries, vanilla or strawberry yogurt, cream cheese. Soften cream cheese, mix with remaining ingredients until smooth, it should be easily spreadable.
Cook the crepes, add filling, roll up and store in 200 degree oven if necessary.
I also take fruit, cook it with sugar and cornstarch for topping, along with whipped cream.
Anything you like will work.
I also found that they freeze well and are just fine when placed in a microwave (frozen) for a couple of minutes..
Yumm...

I love to make crepes too. You can prep most all of it the night before...these are not time consuming
Filling: fresh or frozen berries, vanilla or strawberry yogurt, cream cheese. Soften cream cheese, mix with remaining ingredients until smooth, it should be easily spreadable.
Cook the crepes, add filling, roll up and store in 200 degree oven if necessary.
I also take fruit, cook it with sugar and cornstarch for topping, along with whipped cream.
I also found that they freeze well and are just fine when placed in a microwave (frozen) for a couple of minutes..
Yumm....
I used to make tons of crepes, cook, let them cool, place a piece of wax paper between each and freeze. You can then take out what you need. No need to even microwave in most cases as they thaw out so quickly. I would also heat a bunch in the oven and then stuff and serve. I have a crepe cookbook I have used for many years. I also made chocolate crepes..so maybe on plain /or vanilla flavored and once chocolate on a plate. Both would be great stuffed with strawberries and cream / sweetened marscapone..yum yum

Any subs for Grand Marnier? Unless I have one of those little airline bottles somewhere, I don't want to buy a whole bottle for one recipe.

I tried to keep them longer, they just dry out. I will try to find the "Waffle Off" and give it a try. Anybody has a good recipe for waffle challenged cook?

Yumm....
OK, I think I have hubs ready to try to make crepes. Not this weekend, too many guests in case we get it wrong! Maybe during the week we can practice.

I tried to keep them longer, they just dry out. I will try to find the "Waffle Off" and give it a try. Anybody has a good recipe for waffle challenged cook?.
April said:
I tried to keep them longer, they just dry out. I will try to find the "Waffle Off" and give it a try. Anybody has a good recipe for waffle challenged cook?
I may be drawn and quartered for this but we go with what works...Aunt Jemima pancake mix. Works every time. Lightly brush the oil on the waffle maker.

Any subs for Grand Marnier? Unless I have one of those little airline bottles somewhere, I don't want to buy a whole bottle for one recipe..
The liquor store guy told me that I was going to use it in cooking - use Triple Sec. It is $7 or $8 per bottle as opposed to almost $40 - and that was many years ago now.

Any subs for Grand Marnier? Unless I have one of those little airline bottles somewhere, I don't want to buy a whole bottle for one recipe..
Use any type of liquer...or not at all..not really needed.Go here for a neat video on crepe making
catlady said:
Use any type of liquer...or not at all..not really needed.Go here for a neat video on crepe making
Sorry, I meant for flavor, what should I sub? Non-alcoholic.

"Aunt Jemima"????
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif
- heresy - let's this be our little secret.

"Aunt Jemima"????
- heresy - let's this be our little secret..
April said:
"Aunt Jemima"????
- heresy - let's this be our little secret.
I know, but we did actual research (and still do). Guests LOVE Aunt Jemima much more so than anything else we have served to them.

Back