Tesla Destination Charging

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...aaaaaand I got my response: Nope. You're going to have to pay for all equipment, installation costs and an electrician. If I don't choose to do so, then I won't be listed on their site.
My response. Forget it. I'll install a J-1772 on my dime and *everyone* can use it. My brother tells me Tesla owners check all the sites listing EV stations, not just Tesla's.
Sorry, Elon. It seems to be going downhill for you, bud.

...aaaaaand I got my response: Nope. You're going to have to pay for all equipment, installation costs and an electrician. If I don't choose to do so, then I won't be listed on their site.
My response. Forget it. I'll install a J-1772 on my dime and *everyone* can use it. My brother tells me Tesla owners check all the sites listing EV stations, not just Tesla's.
Sorry, Elon. It seems to be going downhill for you, bud..
PhineasSwann said:
Might be. Time will tell. But I think in this particular case, they've just made a business decision, like the rest of us would. They have now built such a complete, and growing, network of company superchargers, they no longer need to encourage the destination chargers.
I think destination chargers were a stop-gap measure to get more chargers around the country while they got their supercharger network completed. Each supercharger costs about $200,000 to put in, and it takes a few months to build. They're spending $8 billion to fill out the network, and they've got things covered pretty will now. Those destination chargers were a drop in the bucket to them.

PhineasSwann said:
Might be. Time will tell. But I think in this particular case, they've just made a business decision, like the rest of us would. They have now built such a complete, and growing, network of company superchargers, they no longer need to encourage the destination chargers.
I think destination chargers were a stop-gap measure to get more chargers around the country while they got their supercharger network completed. Each supercharger costs about $200,000 to put in, and it takes a few months to build. They're spending $8 billion to fill out the network, and they've got things covered pretty will now. Those destination chargers were a drop in the bucket to them.
I am just grateful for getting the chargers I have. It DID bring me some rooms nights I would not have had. It DID save a lady who was running out of charge while I was in Finland last year. I have has bookings because of the J1772 that Tesla gave me when they gave me the Tesla charger (SOOOO VERY grateful to Innkeep for the info about it).
As much as anything, it shows I was keeping up with the future AND it gives me more marketing exposure.

PhineasSwann said:
I am just grateful for getting the chargers I have. It DID bring me some rooms nights I would not have had. It DID save a lady who was running out of charge while I was in Finland last year. I have has bookings because of the J1772 that Tesla gave me when they gave me the Tesla charger (SOOOO VERY grateful to Innkeep for the info about it).
As much as anything, it shows I was keeping up with the future AND it gives me more marketing exposure.
gillumhouse said:
True. There's a prestige factor to having a Tesla charger. I've had a few guests wowed by it, and they didn't even have electric cars. But the ones who have put dollars in my pocket are the Tesla DRIVERS!

Tesla gave us charger in 2015 and $200 for install (really easy, right through wall of shed with electrical panel 6 feet away). We and Hilton Garden are still only two destination chargers in the whole Eugene urban area. There is a big super charger station nearby.
I don't charge for charging so it's not on my books, but I estimate about 6 Tesla guests each year; in 3 years well upward of $4K revenue from about 2K$ of equipment and electricity costs. Even if I had to pay for that equipment, I would have done the install as it pencils out and adds a coolness factor.
Our evolving marketing approach is to identify niche guests and try to build SEO there. One such niche is northbound I-5 travelers. Traffic in Portland is so miserable, anyone passing here after 2 or 3 pm might as well stay, charge, leaving after 8:30 am will avoid morning rush. We need to mesh that idea with Tesla tourists.

Now I have to find where to buy a J1772 charger to install.
Wish there were ChargePoint type operations that would put them in for me, but apparently those days are gone.

Wish there were ChargePoint type operations that would put them in for me, but apparently those days are gone..
PhineasSwann said:
I got mine on Amazon, but it wasn't the $800+ they are asking now! Tesla gave me a Tesla charger, and I added a Bosch charger on my own.

Thank you Arks for the "what is needed" list. I am going to show it to a master electrician in my area to get an estimate. It just so happens that my breaker box is on the wall near my driveway where I would have a Tesla park (street would be for my car that night).
There is a supercharger on I-70 at Wheeling (Tridelphia actually but that is part of Wheeling) and there is a charging station at The Greenbrier (just of I-64). There is nothing along the I-79 corridor except in Pittsburgh -1 but also a supercharger just north of Pittsburgh). Once I get an estimate..... I already have an outdoor plug there - we have an electric mower.
Am I reading this correctly - they can charge now using that plug I have currently for my mower (a LOT slower though) although one of the other connections discussed would be better. Is this correct? I am asking if I could list as a charging station as I am now. The wheels are already spinning on the publicity angle and mileage I could get from this..
gillumhouse said:
Am I reading this correctly - they can charge now using that plug I have currently for my mower (a LOT slower though) although one of the other connections discussed would be better. Is this correct? I am asking if I could list as a charging station as I am now. The wheels are already spinning on the publicity angle and mileage I could get from this.
Your electric mower plug would charge a Tesla only 4 miles for every hour plugged in. It would be much more useful for some of the hybrid plug-in cars, and you can list it on plugshare right now. Plugshare will also tell you how many other chargers are already in your area
Thank you, Innkeep. Plug share showed quite a few - mostly car dealerships in the area with that J whatever plug. I listed saying registered guests only. Will still get an estimate for the other. Wow - I am back to plotting and planning....
Me too. Missed the chance at a subsidized one, but still planning to add. Guests today would have loved to use even just our plug if they had thought to ask. I just listed on plugshare with Inn Name Guests Only in the 'headline'

My EMC will give me a $500 credit per charging station up to $1,000 for installing them.
Should help defray a good bit of the cost.
Now question is, ChargePoint or the Bosch.

My EMC will give me a $500 credit per charging station up to $1,000 for installing them.
Now question is, ChargePoint or the Bosch..
PhineasSwann said:
Now question is, ChargePoint or the Bosch.
I know nothing about either of them, but considering your guests, I would go with the Bosch brand since its a brand people knows as good quality.

It's in! Installed my ChargePoint Level 2 charger today on the side of my barn!
Now to get the information out to all the EV search engines, apps and sites. Only challenge is that most are listing mine as a "home charger" rather than a commercial one.
IMG_0316-150x150.jpg
IMG_0315-1-163x300.jpg

Belay the info on the $500 credit. That's only if I buy an electric car.

It's in! Installed my ChargePoint Level 2 charger today on the side of my barn!
Now to get the information out to all the EV search engines, apps and sites. Only challenge is that most are listing mine as a "home charger" rather than a commercial one.
IMG_0316-150x150.jpg
IMG_0315-1-163x300.jpg

Belay the info on the $500 credit. That's only if I buy an electric car..
Congratulations! May the EV cars start lining up at your place and fill your beds! The best to the future of electricity to you!

Got our first EV-charging guest today!.
Tesla or other? And, traveling how far from home? We can charge non-tesla too (6 kW), but so far, none have ventured on the long range drive that includes a stay here. Probably lack of ability or places to speed charge so it would have to be a single charge per day itinerary.

Back