Tesla Destination Charging

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure wish they would contact me. I filled out the form about this time last year. Guess I should do it again in case they lost my info..
After reading this thread a few days ago, I applied with Air. They've informed me I 'qualify" and will send a free charger.
I did check my area on the Tesla map and found only one station withing 50 miles of here.
Now to research getting the electric done.
Anon Inn said:
If you have enough rooms, they will pay for the electric too. At least, they did for Gillum.

Sure wish they would contact me. I filled out the form about this time last year. Guess I should do it again in case they lost my info..
After reading this thread a few days ago, I applied with Air. They've informed me I 'qualify" and will send a free charger.
I did check my area on the Tesla map and found only one station withing 50 miles of here.
Anon Inn said:
If you have enough rooms, they will pay for the electric too. At least, they did for Gillum.
Yep - and I have all of 3 rooms. So far 2 Teslas stayed for a total of 3 room nights and one has been here twice for a "fill-up".

Anon Inn said:
Yep - and I have all of 3 rooms. So far 2 Teslas stayed for a total of 3 room nights and one has been here twice for a "fill-up".
Even better!

Copperhead said:
Sure wish they would contact me. I filled out the form about this time last year. Guess I should do it again in case they lost my info.
Yes you should!
I can't believe how few destination chargers are out there. I'm headed to a conference in Memphis next month. Not a single Tesla destination charger in this metro area of 1.3 million people! I'll have to stay near a downtown parking garage that has a much slower public charger available.

I'm wanting to visit cousins in Tulsa. Not a single Tesla destination charger in that city of one million. I'll have to leave my car at a slow public charger and have my cousin drive me over to pick it up when it's done.

So the lack of chargers doesn't keep me from going where I want to go, it just makes things take a little longer to get done. I would sure be staying at an inn with a destination charger, if there was one!
I was very surprised how few there were in my town (high end area full of people with more money than they know what to do with top football managers and stuff like that) figured there would be lots! ive been chasing them as they said mine would be out in "the summer" as UK is different electric to USA and Europe so they have to tweek it - grrr!
Jcam said:
...they said mine would be out in "the summer" as UK is different electric to USA and Europe so they have to tweek it - grrr!
Much as you hate to, I think you need to become a squeaky wheel to get this done. Complain. My high power wall charger came with installation instructions for both USA and Europe. There's a destination charger at a hotel in your town. If they can get one, you can too!
are you sure as there wasn't one when I looked last - Ahh I know this place VERY large 5 star hotel where Bill Clinton Stays I am 100% certain they will have paid for theirs as its definitely their target market and its right on the edge of my town and probably for only their own guests
Jcam said:
are you sure as there wasn't one when I looked last - Ahh I know this place VERY large 5 star hotel where Bill Clinton Stays I am 100% certain they will have paid for theirs as its definitely their target market and its right on the edge of my town and probably for only their own guests
Yes, that's the one. Bill (we in Arkansas get to call him that) was there for a wedding.
and pops along in his chopper for golf if in the area lol

I've ordered both my free Tesla charger and a J1772 box that charges all the other cars on the road. My electrician said as long as he was pulling wires to power the Tesla charger, it would only cost me about $100 more to also power a J1772 box.
So I'll soon be able to charge 2 electric cars at once at my place.Let me point out that a Tesla can charge at a J1772 box just like all other electric cars, but the Tesla charges MUCH faster at a dedicated Tesla high power wall connector.
So you could just install a J1772 and serve every model of electric car sold in North America. But with the $750 Tesla charger being free to inns, it's hard to pass up a deal like that, especially since, as innkeep mentions, it gets your inn listed not just at their website, but also it would be built into the navigation system of every Tesla car. The navigation system (built in GPS) automatically plans road trips to take you to chargers along the way so you're never in danger of driving out of range of a known charging location.
One final factor is that you're allowed to specify on the Tesla website that your charger is only for use by your registered guests, so having it might cause them to stay at your place so they can use your charger as they take their road trip. It can take several hours to charge some cars, so that can make an overnight stay logical.
You can charge people to use your charger, but I'll be giving it free. It costs a few dollars, $1 to $6 worth of electricity, depending on how much power they need, to top off their car, but if that brings me a customer at the inn, that's fine with me!.
I'm reviving the thread as it may be of interest to some of the newer folks.
a friend just bought a Leaf. That plus retirement is making me revisit installing car chargers. I just looked at the Tesla site. The chargers are still in the free program and only one other lodging provider in 70 miles is on Tesla's map. I think this is finally the year to get this done.
The challenge will be to find the installer. I'm still waiting on the local electrician to check out a bad circuit. He will NOT be the guy for the charger project. :)

I've ordered both my free Tesla charger and a J1772 box that charges all the other cars on the road. My electrician said as long as he was pulling wires to power the Tesla charger, it would only cost me about $100 more to also power a J1772 box.
So I'll soon be able to charge 2 electric cars at once at my place.Let me point out that a Tesla can charge at a J1772 box just like all other electric cars, but the Tesla charges MUCH faster at a dedicated Tesla high power wall connector.
So you could just install a J1772 and serve every model of electric car sold in North America. But with the $750 Tesla charger being free to inns, it's hard to pass up a deal like that, especially since, as innkeep mentions, it gets your inn listed not just at their website, but also it would be built into the navigation system of every Tesla car. The navigation system (built in GPS) automatically plans road trips to take you to chargers along the way so you're never in danger of driving out of range of a known charging location.
One final factor is that you're allowed to specify on the Tesla website that your charger is only for use by your registered guests, so having it might cause them to stay at your place so they can use your charger as they take their road trip. It can take several hours to charge some cars, so that can make an overnight stay logical.
You can charge people to use your charger, but I'll be giving it free. It costs a few dollars, $1 to $6 worth of electricity, depending on how much power they need, to top off their car, but if that brings me a customer at the inn, that's fine with me!.
a friend just bought a Leaf. That plus retirement is making me revisit installing car chargers. I just looked at the Tesla site. The chargers are still in the free program and only one other lodging provider in 70 miles is on Tesla's map. I think this is finally the year to get this done.
The challenge will be to find the installer. I'm still waiting on the local electrician to check out a bad circuit. He will NOT be the guy for the charger project. :)
IF you can get Tesla to pay for it, do it. I recommend to NOT get the posts they offer (requires cement and a lot of other work), I sent them back when I discovered how large they were. Mine are attached to the side of the house, look nice, and Teslas and their cousins park in my driveway, off the street, while sucking up a charge. The electric bill did not even blink. Your area might get more usage. I have had 2 reservations and one lady charge up twice. Since they cost me nothing, it works great. I leave them on all the time. In the future? Who knows, but I am ahead of the curve.....

Have the material in hand and waiting on the electrician to fit me into his schedule.

IF you can get Tesla to pay for it, do it. I recommend to NOT get the posts they offer (requires cement and a lot of other work), I sent them back when I discovered how large they were. Mine are attached to the side of the house, look nice, and Teslas and their cousins park in my driveway, off the street, while sucking up a charge. The electric bill did not even blink. Your area might get more usage. I have had 2 reservations and one lady charge up twice. Since they cost me nothing, it works great. I leave them on all the time. In the future? Who knows, but I am ahead of the curve.....
Thanks Gillum. I just revisited this thread in preparation for getting this done. I have the place to put the chargers at the end of our shop building right by the parking area. I'm actually pretty stoked about this. Still seems weird doing normal things but thereaputic too. 30 years ago I might have asked Dad to supervise me doing it. :)

Thanks Gillum. I just revisited this thread in preparation for getting this done. I have the place to put the chargers at the end of our shop building right by the parking area. I'm actually pretty stoked about this. Still seems weird doing normal things but thereaputic too. 30 years ago I might have asked Dad to supervise me doing it. :)
I have been getting a lot of Chevy Bolt and Volt ads on my GB page. I have started sharing each one with a message of how good they will look in the driveway of the Gillum House Bed & Breakfast in Shinnston, WV while they charge up. This morning I posted on the share - Recharge YOUR batteries at the Gillum.... while the Volt recharges its battery.
While they are doing their commercial I figure I may as well add mine

The electrician installed our Tesla charger today, now just need a guest to give it a test run.

The electrician installed our Tesla charger today, now just need a guest to give it a test run.
Yeehaa!!

Awesome take some pics and get them on your website and FB
and start promoting with local businesses, chamber, nearby visitor center etc.

Is there some change in the program? My acceptance letter tells me I'm responsible for the cost of the equipment, in addition to all the installation and electrician expenses?
If that's true, screw it. I'll just install a J1772 and be done with it.
Or am I missing something?
Thank you for your submission! My name is Peter Ambiel and I’m a Project Manager for Tesla’s Destination Charging Team.
Based upon your property’s reviews and location, I’m excited to inform you that your property was accepted into the Destination Charging Program! As more and more Teslas hit the road each day, charging is an important and convenient amenity to offer to a growing customer base. If you choose to move forward, you will be added to Tesla’s Destination Charging Map, which Tesla owners rely on each day and for each road trip to find convenient charging locations.
Please find a summary of the next steps below, followed by all resources to properly accomplish these steps:
Next Steps:
Contact your preferred electrician and provide them our Tesla Connector Installation Guide.
Ask them to provide an installation estimate based off of the install guide and our Single Line Diagram (please include permit costs).
Ask for an installation in somewhat close proximity to power and one that can be wall mounted to reduce overall cost. Pedestals for non-wall mounting sites will need to be purchased by the property if necessary (Tesla can make a pedestal recommendation upon request) .
Please email me the estimate once you receive it back.
Responsibility:
As host, you are responsible for the cost of equipment, the cost of installation, and the ongoing electricity costs (a full overnight charge, for example, will cost around $6, calculated here).
Also in good faith, we ask you to make your charging available for Tesla owners in need, who may not be patronizing your business. In turn, you may ask for no more than $6 per charge session to cover your time and costs.

Is there some change in the program? My acceptance letter tells me I'm responsible for the cost of the equipment, in addition to all the installation and electrician expenses?
Thank you for your submission! My name is Peter Ambiel and I’m a Project Manager for Tesla’s Destination Charging Team.
Based upon your property’s reviews and location, I’m excited to inform you that your property was accepted into the Destination Charging Program! As more and more Teslas hit the road each day, charging is an important and convenient amenity to offer to a growing customer base. If you choose to move forward, you will be added to Tesla’s Destination Charging Map, which Tesla owners rely on each day and for each road trip to find convenient charging locations.
Please find a summary of the next steps below, followed by all resources to properly accomplish these steps:
Next Steps:
Contact your preferred electrician and provide them our Tesla Connector Installation Guide.
Ask them to provide an installation estimate based off of the install guide and our Single Line Diagram (please include permit costs).
Ask for an installation in somewhat close proximity to power and one that can be wall mounted to reduce overall cost. Pedestals for non-wall mounting sites will need to be purchased by the property if necessary (Tesla can make a pedestal recommendation upon request) .
Responsibility:
As host, you are responsible for the cost of equipment, the cost of installation, and the ongoing electricity costs (a full overnight charge, for example, will cost around $6, calculated here).
Also in good faith, we ask you to make your charging available for Tesla owners in need, who may not be patronizing your business. In turn, you may ask for no more than $6 per charge session to cover your time and costs..
I had to pay for the electrician and installation. All I got was the free charger. Others got it all paid for. When I asked them, they told me I didn't have enough rooms to qualify for free installation. But also, of course, there may be a change in the program. After a few years, they might be getting enough saturation of chargers now, so they don't have to encourage them as much as in the past.

When I got my destination charger, Arkansas had zero superchargers. Now we have 2, with 6 more under construction. With so many superchargers coast to coast now, the destination chargers aren't so important. People can just drive to a supercharger to get a faster free charge.
I get about 5 bookings/year because of my charger. Probably not worth putting in if you have to pay for installation. Spend that money on something else.

Next Steps:
Responsibility:
Also in good faith, we ask you to make your charging available for Tesla owners in need, who may not be patronizing your business. In turn, you may ask for no more than $6 per charge session to cover your time and costs..
Something over a year ago Telsa supplied the charger and paid the electrician for the install, first Tesla guest was nice and charger worked well for him, second Tesla guest just threw the charger cord in the wet grass when he finished charging and on the third use it wouldn't charge. Tesla contact was easy to work with and sent a replacement charger and again it worked last fall for one or two guests and a couple of folks that just expected a free charge without asking.
This spring/summer it didn't work again for a Tesla guest, my original contact appeared to be no longer at Tesla, response seemed to be that our power was a problem or electrician didn't install it correct, I got that go away don't bother me feeling and at present we are in limbo. Who is really at fault, I don't know.
I like the idea of providing convenience for our guests, but if it is all on us including providing a free/cheap service for non guests I'm not sure I'd consider it a great financial venture

Next Steps:
Responsibility:
Time is what has changed. When I got mine in 2015, there were NO Tesla chargers between North of Pittsburgh and have no idea where south because Charleston did not have one. I was half way between and just 7 miles off the Interstate. THAT is why I got mine. Today they would not even consider me - there is now a supercharger in Morgantown AT an exit from I-79. As with anything, it is timing. WV State Parks now have the chargers. I have one State Park 30 miles away, one is about 45 miles and a third is 60 miles. One has camping & cabins, the second and third have both plus a losge with rooms.
BTW - it is not free to passing through charge-ups. Non-guests pay $15 fora charge. I may raise that to $20 next year although I get very few of those now. Morgantown is only 35 miles away if they stay on the Interstate.

Darren,
If you do decide to get a J1772 plug Teslas can charge as well as all other electric cars. The best place to list your place is www.plugshare.com You have an opportunity to specify that charging is limited to guests or what you would charge to allow others to charge. Most EV roadtrippers consult Plugshare, and there's a smartphone app for Plugshare. Kathleen, you should list on plugshare also.
Like Kathleen said, now that there are superchargers north, southwest, and soon to be southeast of you, you will see fewer drivers in need. Your nearby ski resort is also listed as having a destination charger, so I guess there's less of a reason for Tesla to entice you, although Tesla is now producing 7,000 new cars every week and destination chargers do show up on Tesla's navigation screen in the car.
I'm only listed on Plugshare and do get an occasional guest who comes for me and for the charging. JimBoone, I sure don't know what to tell you. You probably don't want to throw good money after bad, but if you'd like me to pursue your complaints and need for service, email me and I'll see if I get any further than you did.
My diabolical plan has always been to get as many innmates as possible to have EV charging so I can freeload from one property to the next
wink_smile.gif

Darren,
If you do decide to get a J1772 plug Teslas can charge as well as all other electric cars. The best place to list your place is www.plugshare.com You have an opportunity to specify that charging is limited to guests or what you would charge to allow others to charge. Most EV roadtrippers consult Plugshare, and there's a smartphone app for Plugshare. Kathleen, you should list on plugshare also.
Like Kathleen said, now that there are superchargers north, southwest, and soon to be southeast of you, you will see fewer drivers in need. Your nearby ski resort is also listed as having a destination charger, so I guess there's less of a reason for Tesla to entice you, although Tesla is now producing 7,000 new cars every week and destination chargers do show up on Tesla's navigation screen in the car.
I'm only listed on Plugshare and do get an occasional guest who comes for me and for the charging. JimBoone, I sure don't know what to tell you. You probably don't want to throw good money after bad, but if you'd like me to pursue your complaints and need for service, email me and I'll see if I get any further than you did.
My diabolical plan has always been to get as many innmates as possible to have EV charging so I can freeload from one property to the next
wink_smile.gif
I listed on plugshare and the government site - alternative fuels I think it is in 2015. I goo gled for sites when I got my chargers and listed on any that showed up.
One thing about the plethora of chargers sprouting up, it makes it easier for them TO travel and therefore, perhaps, more likely for us to get them as guests because of who we are AND have chargers instead of desparate for a charger.

Darren,
wink_smile.gif
Innkeep said:
JimBoone, I sure don't know what to tell you. You probably don't want to throw good money after bad, but if you'd like me to pursue your complaints and need for service, email me and I'll see if I get any further than you did.
Thanks Innkeep for your offer. Actually in our case Tesla did provide the equipment and installation so not exactly a money issue, my issue was more being caught between the electrician and Tesla pointing fingers at each other.
To edit my earlier post, we did have a returning guest last night with a Tesla, came anyway knowing that the charger didn't seem to be working. Just for the heck of it we set the rotary dial on the charger to a lower level, 60 rather than 80, it appeared to work last night and he reports this morning that it did charge his car.

I sent Tesla a note back saying if they were no longer paying for equipment and installation, then it made more sense for me to put in a J1772. If I'm paying for everything then I'm putting in a system everyone can use. We'll see if they change their offer. I'd like to offer both since Tesla owners and my type of guests tend to overlap a lot.
My brother, who is supposed to take delivery of his Tesla next week, tells me they're in somewhat of a cash crunch right now, which may explain why theyre tightening the offerings.

Back