The disappearing housekeeper

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBeachHouse

Reaction score
Found a small business house cleaning business. She agreed to work for us over the summer every day and then through the winter as needed. She came in for her first day and cleaned like I've never seen anyone clean. Really good at her job. We chatted, agreed on terms, agreed she would come back next weekend and said goodbye.
I texted her to see if she could come during the week and she wrote back saying she already had plans but would see me on the weekend.
That was the last we heard from her. I texted twice, the second time, "Is everything ok?" DH called her phone and left two messages. No reply.
I got a lot of exercise in this weekend turning over 4 rooms on Saturday and two on Sunday. That's the good news.
So, multiple choice.
(a) She's a flake. Run and don't look back.
(b) Her kid got hurt and she's in ER. Forgive.
(c) Her phone crapped out and she's in the iStore vortex. Send sympathy flowers.

e. she is a housekeeper.
I didn't see that choice, but I will add it. Welcome to the reason we do everything ourselves club.

F. Does she have references from other people? That would give you the answer.
PS - we hired her sister 2 years ago. The answer was a, b, & c. Except she was the one in the er. And she never answered her calls.
We heard about her again thru the state, who she told she had worked for us for over a year. (Trying to collect unemployment or worker's comp, we were never told.)
Sigh. We start this process all over again next week.

F. Does she have references from other people? That would give you the answer.
PS - we hired her sister 2 years ago. The answer was a, b, & c. Except she was the one in the er. And she never answered her calls.
We heard about her again thru the state, who she told she had worked for us for over a year. (Trying to collect unemployment or worker's comp, we were never told.)
Sigh. We start this process all over again next week..
we did have several people recommend her. and her work was top notch. just not her communication skills or scheduling ability.

g. wait to see her picture on the front page of the local paper for some crime or another
(oh dear that was OUR housekeeper)

g. wait to see her picture on the front page of the local paper for some crime or another
(oh dear that was OUR housekeeper).
Ours, too! (well not the picture, but a mention in the police and/or court report)
Beachie, did the cleaner's mother call to let you know that she won't be in to work on Saturday because she is in jail -- but she'll be back next week! Has happened to us, but I guess we're fortunate that at least someone called to let us know!

(oh dear that was OUR housekeeper).
Ours, too! (well not the picture, but a mention in the police and/or court report)
Beachie, did the cleaner's mother call to let you know that she won't be in to work on Saturday because she is in jail -- but she'll be back next week! Has happened to us, but I guess we're fortunate that at least someone called to let us know!
Harborfields said:
I think the shocking headline for this thread would be:
[h2]
"Housekeeper showed up for work the second time!" or Two times in a row! [/h2]

Find someone else, if she did this the first week she'll never be responsible. Better it's now when you have time to find someone else before summer.
we have ad in this week to replace woman we let go a few weeks ago after a year. Work was OK but she was beyond annoying. I found myself leaving my own house to not be near her. Overheard her telling guests was recovering alcoholic so couldn't enjoy a glass of wine with them. Then told me she needed $1 hour raise because even though she knew we probably wanted to tell her to screw because of her screw ups, she stuck it out (no we kept you until we felt like letting you go based on bookings) so she earned that $1 raise increase.
Next one we won't keep so long if not perfect fit, not worth the irritation. Again, better to move on. Good luck.

morticia, i really thought this thread was started by you at first glance!
beach - i assume you paid her for the day's work on that day? so odd!

I suggest you find another. It isn't worth the headache and the rooms still need to be cleaned. If she really wants to work with you, she will call you back, and you can do what you wish.

I think it's a brilliant plan and think you should give it a chance to work...if I'm understanding this correctly. From her point of view, she came to work, worked super well, came to an agreement with you about the follow on days. Yay! Now time to relax.
Then you later texted (not called) and asked that she change the agreement, she said - umm, no thanks, see you on the days we agreed to. Enough said.
Then, you all keep on contacting her....a couple texts, multiple phone messages...
I vote for waiting and talking to her in person. She could be wondering if you're really "needy" clients and wondering what she got herself into. If things seem off after talking to her, then make a decision.

I think it's a brilliant plan and think you should give it a chance to work...if I'm understanding this correctly. From her point of view, she came to work, worked super well, came to an agreement with you about the follow on days. Yay! Now time to relax.
Then you later texted (not called) and asked that she change the agreement, she said - umm, no thanks, see you on the days we agreed to. Enough said.
Then, you all keep on contacting her....a couple texts, multiple phone messages...
I vote for waiting and talking to her in person. She could be wondering if you're really "needy" clients and wondering what she got herself into. If things seem off after talking to her, then make a decision..
CafeMae said:
I vote for waiting and talking to her in person. She could be wondering if you're really "needy" clients and wondering what she got herself into. If things seem off after talking to her, then make a decision.
And then did not show up on the agreed upon day. Nor did she respond to say she couldn't be there.
I sent her a note in her preferred method of communication - FB message. How she first got in touch with me. Until the disappearing act, she was a very good communicator.

I vote for waiting and talking to her in person. She could be wondering if you're really "needy" clients and wondering what she got herself into. If things seem off after talking to her, then make a decision..
CafeMae said:
And then did not show up on the agreed upon day. Nor did she respond to say she couldn't be there.
I sent her a note in her preferred method of communication - FB message. How she first got in touch with me. Until the disappearing act, she was a very good communicator.
Ah, then I misunderstood. If she didn't show up when she said she would and didn't contact you, then I vote to move on. It will take a few days/weeks to find help, so if you start looking now, it also gives you flexibility if she comes back with a good excuse to continue her contract before hiring another.

CafeMae said:
Ah, then I misunderstood. If she didn't show up when she said she would and didn't contact you, then I vote to move on. It will take a few days/weeks to find help, so if you start looking now, it also gives you flexibility if she comes back with a good excuse to continue her contract before hiring another.
CafeMae said:
My texts were, (after she said she couldn't come in on Thursday,) (Thursday)"ok, can you come Saturday and Sunday at 10 AM?" (Saturday)"Are we expecting you today?" and (Monday)"Is everything ok?"

Back