They came ..They went..

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to agree with Breakfast Diva... They came, it wasn't what they were thinking and left. We did end up charging the balance on their card. We figure we didn't have anything to lose if they challenged the charge. So we'll see... We did not get a call today or email from them. The mystery is out there..
Baygirl said:
I have to agree with Breakfast Diva... They came, it wasn't what they were thinking and left. We did end up charging the balance on their card. We figure we didn't have anything to lose if they challenged the charge. So we'll see... We did not get a call today or email from them. The mystery is out there.
I don't think they would win should they dispute the charge unless they come up with some cockamamy reason - unacceptable conditions, etc.
Ugh, this summer is making me nuts.
The fact they still haven't contacted you goes in your favor. Since they didn't communicate, you can't re-rent that room because they've paid for it and you wouldn't know if they will come back. It's as if it's a no-show every night!
I'm sorry you're in such limbo...we always think the worst. Again, it's them and not you.

I have to agree with Breakfast Diva... They came, it wasn't what they were thinking and left. We did end up charging the balance on their card. We figure we didn't have anything to lose if they challenged the charge. So we'll see... We did not get a call today or email from them. The mystery is out there..
Baygirl said:
I have to agree with Breakfast Diva... They came, it wasn't what they were thinking and left. We did end up charging the balance on their card. We figure we didn't have anything to lose if they challenged the charge. So we'll see... We did not get a call today or email from them. The mystery is out there.
I don't think they would win should they dispute the charge unless they come up with some cockamamy reason - unacceptable conditions, etc.
Iris said:
I don't think they would win should they dispute the charge unless...
A few years ago somebody here said to win a disputed charge on something like this, you must have your cancellation/no-show policy posted on your home page.
Arks said:
Iris said:
A few years ago somebody here said to win a disputed charge on something like this, you must have your cancellation/no-show policy posted on your home page.
While this may have been the reason provided to that innkeeper, that isn't set in stone. Take a look at any hotel site, if this were the real policy each hotel chain would have it there.
What seems to be more the case is the policy is what ever the reviewer feels like with each case.
If I recall correctly there was something stated with V/MC that cancellation polices had to appear directly on the reservation booking page, not as a pull down or link. ResKey made a change so policies could be added right there in the form.
But just like horses with water, you can provide the policies to the guest but you can't make them read them.

Baygirl said:
Iris said:
Arks said:
Iris said:
While this may have been the reason provided to that innkeeper, that isn't set in stone. Take a look at any hotel site, if this were the real policy each hotel chain would have it there.
What seems to be more the case is the policy is what ever the reviewer feels like with each case.
If I recall correctly there was something stated with V/MC that cancellation polices had to appear directly on the reservation booking page, not as a pull down or link. ResKey made a change so policies could be added right there in the form.
But just like horses with water, you can provide the policies to the guest but you can't make them read them.
I do have reskey set up that they must check that they've read the cancellation policy.. Good for us they made the reservation online and did check that box.Time will tell ...

Hope you got paid. It is only under extreme conditions that I would refund..
They paid a 50% deposit, but I am reluctant to run the balance. I'm thinking it was too quiet for them, but who knows. It's just odd.
Baygirl said:
They paid a 50% deposit, but I am reluctant to run the balance. I'm thinking it was too quiet for them, but who knows. It's just odd.
If you have in your policies that early departures will still be charged, and they have clicked that they've agreed to your policies, then charge the balance.
I do have it in our policy and they have to click to say they have read the policies. :)

What about the champagne and any extras you had ready for them? Did you have extra costs?.
The champagne wasn't opened so that went back in the fridge. Flowers I used for the breakfast tables, so basically we were out 6 chocolate covered strawberries.
I'd repurpose the champagne and the flowers and STILL charge the no-shows for them.

Back