Three in a room for two

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandynn

Reaction score
Anyone else been having request for extra in rooms that only hold two?
I have had three in the last two weeks that want to put three in a room. I am not sure what that is all about lately. One lady called and ask if we had king beds so she could put three people in. It was a mother and two grown sisters. I said we can only put two in a room. In a couple of days she booked on line and said in the special requests that there would be three. It was the same lady that had called days before. I declined her reservations and said nicely that we could only put two people in a room. She e-mailed me back and said that she booked the biggest room so they could put one on the floor. She said she was sure that would be fine because they have done it many times before in other bed and breakfasts and it wouldn't be the same if they had to have two rooms. She said even if they had to pay a small amount for an extra breakfast that would be fine.

That is a PITA for you. Everyone trying to find a bargain and going against the system. It is a good thing you did contact her. Tell her insurace / fire regulations whatever.. require only 2 in your rooms. Gheez...people!!! You are not hotel where they can try and get away with this kind of thing.

Yep. We are not flexible on this point. I will only put an extra person in the room IF *we* think there is enough space for safety's sake, and IF the extra person is either a child or all the other rooms are booked. Do NOT ask me to put a third adult in the room if you are too cheap thrifty to rent one of my other rooms.
I'm glad for her that they do this at other BnB's. She should book at one of those rather than trying to bend you to her will.
But hey, it could be worse. I had one lady who wanted to fill my living room floor with people in sleeping bags. Really. When I said no, she asked why.

Yep. We are not flexible on this point. I will only put an extra person in the room IF *we* think there is enough space for safety's sake, and IF the extra person is either a child or all the other rooms are booked. Do NOT ask me to put a third adult in the room if you are too cheap thrifty to rent one of my other rooms.
I'm glad for her that they do this at other BnB's. She should book at one of those rather than trying to bend you to her will.
But hey, it could be worse. I had one lady who wanted to fill my living room floor with people in sleeping bags. Really. When I said no, she asked why..
My living room floor is available, it's called a whole house booking and it's $3000 a day, 100% deposit, not cancellable. It's the same rate as when they want to rent my house for filming or photography.
Sometimes it's easier to set a price they won't pay then to bother to argue about it. Three in a queen sized bed, sure, $15 for the extra person, $300 for the inspector to change my inspection certificate, $100 for the insurance modification and $200 for the city permit. Will that be cash or credit and those fees are not refundable,

But hey, it could be worse. I had one lady who wanted to fill my living room floor with people in sleeping bags. Really. When I said no, she asked why..
I did it once and I put a cot in the room. We were full and the ladies were sisters. I didn't really like it but I charged and extra $50. They were so nice and I didn't feel taken advantage of. I feel it is a safety issue to put three in a room.
This new request made me feel taken advantage of. The only thing that would have been worst would have been if they hadn't told me and blind sided me when they arrived.
Yes I think they are being cheap and I understand that. If I wanted to be cheap with my sisters I would go to the Dollar Inn.

I did it once and I put a cot in the room. We were full and the ladies were sisters. I didn't really like it but I charged and extra $50. They were so nice and I didn't feel taken advantage of. I feel it is a safety issue to put three in a room.
This new request made me feel taken advantage of. The only thing that would have been worst would have been if they hadn't told me and blind sided me when they arrived.
Yes I think they are being cheap and I understand that. If I wanted to be cheap with my sisters I would go to the Dollar Inn.
sandynn said:
Had that happen once. Told them NO, room holds 4 not 5. "No problem, he sleeps on the floor". Not on MY floor. Told them to find other accommodations for the 5th wheel (we were full). They were not happy that they were charged for all 4 nights but didn't stay as they all wanted to be together. They called me every day, 2-3 times. Nope.
Some people do not understand our business and think they can slip people in because they get away with it at hotels. These are people are NOT our market! I use the Fire Marshell line every time with these people, but they still don't get it.

sandynn said:
Had that happen once. Told them NO, room holds 4 not 5. "No problem, he sleeps on the floor". Not on MY floor. Told them to find other accommodations for the 5th wheel (we were full). They were not happy that they were charged for all 4 nights but didn't stay as they all wanted to be together. They called me every day, 2-3 times. Nope.
Some people do not understand our business and think they can slip people in because they get away with it at hotels. These are people are NOT our market! I use the Fire Marshell line every time with these people, but they still don't get it.
I have used the Fire Marshal many time too.

That is a PITA for you. Everyone trying to find a bargain and going against the system. It is a good thing you did contact her. Tell her insurace / fire regulations whatever.. require only 2 in your rooms. Gheez...people!!! You are not hotel where they can try and get away with this kind of thing..
We will not put more than two in a room. I don't want all the extra suitcases banging on the walls. Can you imagine all the junk in the bathroom alone? I am also on a well and septic. I don't want to stress them. As others, I will not budge. I am not a crash pad.
If they push you on this they will present problems during the entire stay.
RIki

My living room floor is available, it's called a whole house booking and it's $3000 a day, 100% deposit, not cancellable. It's the same rate as when they want to rent my house for filming or photography.
Sometimes it's easier to set a price they won't pay then to bother to argue about it. Three in a queen sized bed, sure, $15 for the extra person, $300 for the inspector to change my inspection certificate, $100 for the insurance modification and $200 for the city permit. Will that be cash or credit and those fees are not refundable,
GBManor said:
Great tactic, especially if they are being really persistent. We use this for weddings, everyone always wants to have "just a very small wedding" here...sure you can, but you're renting the entire house, two night minimum, non-refundable deposit, and there's a party fee. Never had any takers yet.
You avoided a PITA, it's good she tried to mention it in her online booking so you could decline it...it's much harder to deal with if they just show up with 3 people or better yet sneak in the 3rd.

The lady who demanded eggs bennie vegetarian made from scratch hollandaise sauce then didn't show for breakfast and we had to go rap on their door to get them to the table, where the other guests were waiting to begin...
Well they had three in the room. We have a sofa bed and she argued that the bed is already there why should she pay. Her daughter is 18!
And I quote from her email "unclear about the sofa bed already in the room - is there an extra charge for our teenager or not since the sofabed is already in the room?"
There certainly IS A CHARGE, $35 for the sofa bed use. Here is what our website clearly states "Max Occupancy 3 Use of Sofa Bed Addtl $35"
So they brought everything they own into the house at after 1030PM AT NIGHT. They went in and out and stomped up the stairs while we had other guests at least 7 or 8 trips PER PERSON. They packed the room chock ful, as I believe the daughter was going to college, so they brought EVERY LAST ITEM into the Inn.

The lady who demanded eggs bennie vegetarian made from scratch hollandaise sauce then didn't show for breakfast and we had to go rap on their door to get them to the table, where the other guests were waiting to begin...
Well they had three in the room. We have a sofa bed and she argued that the bed is already there why should she pay. Her daughter is 18!
And I quote from her email "unclear about the sofa bed already in the room - is there an extra charge for our teenager or not since the sofabed is already in the room?"
There certainly IS A CHARGE, $35 for the sofa bed use. Here is what our website clearly states "Max Occupancy 3 Use of Sofa Bed Addtl $35"
So they brought everything they own into the house at after 1030PM AT NIGHT. They went in and out and stomped up the stairs while we had other guests at least 7 or 8 trips PER PERSON. They packed the room chock ful, as I believe the daughter was going to college, so they brought EVERY LAST ITEM into the Inn..
Did they sneak the daughter in or did you know she was there? WHAT A NIGHTMARE. Losers.

So they brought everything they own into the house at after 1030PM AT NIGHT. They went in and out and stomped up the stairs while we had other guests at least 7 or 8 trips PER PERSON. They packed the room chock ful, as I believe the daughter was going to college, so they brought EVERY LAST ITEM into the Inn..
Did they sneak the daughter in or did you know she was there? WHAT A NIGHTMARE. Losers.
Don Draper said:
Yeah we knew, that was the pre-check in email from them, confused as to why there would be a charge for their 18 year old. I didn't know what age she was til I saw her, 18!! But I thought they might sneak a dog in, ask my family I was a maniac behind the scenes, listening for a dog. They went out to the vehicle after midnight, so I thought it may be that! But it wasn't.

But let me ask this...I ran a winter weekend special. Why discount weekend when people expect midweek to be lower? I wanted people here WEEKEND, when the heat is on they can all be here at the same time, vs one room at a time midweek - which is what I have today. (no complaints, they are on their honeymood and very sweet!)
So people are irritated they have to pay full fare (less book online $10 off) midweek. I wanted to fill up on the weekends. It didn't work and I wonder if these same guests WOULD HAVE ALREADY BOOKED even without the hefty discount.
This weekend is the last weekend for this Winter Special.
We just never know do we! I hoped to max out but it was not that way, so we just roll with the punches...

Don Draper said:
Yeah we knew, that was the pre-check in email from them, confused as to why there would be a charge for their 18 year old. I didn't know what age she was til I saw her, 18!! But I thought they might sneak a dog in, ask my family I was a maniac behind the scenes, listening for a dog. They went out to the vehicle after midnight, so I thought it may be that! But it wasn't.
Yes, because it's so neat how that sleeper sofa magically unfolds itself and puts fresh linen on itself, not to mention how your kitchen magically whisks food for a third person out of thin air at NO COST! Some people...

Yes, we get this a lot as well. It's ALWAYS ok with the guest to put someone on the floor! We've had guests show up with the extra people and say they don't care if they have to sleep on the floor. Then what do you do? We've had to shuffle rooms around. It's a pain.

I don't do exceptions like that. No one can sleep on the floor and no one can sleep in a sleeping bag. If you do bring a sleeping bag into the house, there is a cleaning fee. We also insist that any guest bringing their own pillow that we must put it in the dryer for 20 minutes on high to ensure that nothing transfers. And each extra person is $15 a night. No one stays free, no one eats free, nothings free but the air.
And they are welcome to argue it. Here is the phone number to the government agency that is in charge of my licence. The city that is in charge of my licence. My insurance company that is in charge of my insurance. Get them to agree... we can talk.

I don't understand why these people DONT JUST GO TO HOTELS! don't get that!

I don't understand why these people DONT JUST GO TO HOTELS! don't get that!

sandynn said:
See, I think that's different. First off, if ALL the other rooms are booked, I'd rather put the cot in than lose a bookings....but, on our site, we list the maximum number of "bodies" a room will service...One of our rooms is flat our too small for a third person - not even a kid.
I love the prohibitive rate. I may have to give that some thought...

sandynn said:
See, I think that's different. First off, if ALL the other rooms are booked, I'd rather put the cot in than lose a bookings....but, on our site, we list the maximum number of "bodies" a room will service...One of our rooms is flat our too small for a third person - not even a kid.
I love the prohibitive rate. I may have to give that some thought...
(Absolutely tongue in cheek....)
That shouldn't limit you. You could put two O hooks in the ceiling and hang a hammock (for the more adventurous, a sling and charge a B&D fee, too.) Or maybe a velcro pad and a velcro suit and someone can hang on the wall overnight. Add a trundle bed and there's plenty of room.
(... back to normal)
It's just so much easier to quote a prohibitive fee or rate than to fight people. We are thinking of adding a fee on our website specifically for "special housekeeping requests or instructions" to allow us to charge when people make some really outrageous housekeeping requests.

Back