To laugh or be pissed ?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dms121761

Reaction score
Question Fellow Innkeepers,
5 1/2 years ago I had guests who loved staying here for a night. At breakfast the next day, they mentioned there wasn't hot water for the Jacuzzi. ( Long story short, the other guest, next to them in adjacent room ran hot water without the stopper in properly and drained all of the hot water). Soooo, I simply offered $40.00 off there next visit which they said " how nice, Thank you".
Fast Forward 5 1/2 yrs. to present day....I received a letter in mail today saying she moved from Pa. (Near us ) to Virginia and won't be able to ever come visit again and to just SEND her a check for $40.00.
I wasn't sure to laugh or be pissed.....one friend said just to ignore it, not sure.....it's just the audacity someone asked almost 6 yrs. later for $40.00.
Thoughts?

"The $40 off still applies for whenever you can make it back, while we are the innkeepers. Non transferable to other owners. There are no cash refunds."
I guess this is why we need to put a time limit on these things. We had a construction crew turn on heavy equip at 7 AM, not even at our B&B and we offered $50 off any return within 1 year. Got one taker.
Otherwise, ignore it.

To answer the title...laugh.
DH says to email back and ask for the price of a one night stay and say you'll give them back $40.
I'm not sure how you could explain to this person that it's a discount, not a refund. That in order to get the discount, you have to buy something. Now, not years ago.

Just to clarify in Australia pissed means to get drunk. So okay, I suppose AFTER laughing your head off you can do that, or while you are doing that.
From me - ignore the crap outa this one. The pita-baton is officially passed, er, mailed to you.
shades_smile.gif

Next visit if no next visit no "discount" it wasn't money you offered her.

N o cash refunds as a $40.00 discount on another visit was offered. Pa to Va. , surely she jest. Have guest here now from Holland and most come from D.C., Balt., N.C., N.Y.City., Norfolk, etc.
Laugh, laugh, laugh and you know it's past 5 pm.
shades_smile.gif

Laugh.... a $40 discount isn't a cash refund.
When you are in a store and it says $10 off and they have no stock, does that mean that I can ask them for $10 cash instead? Wouldn't that be a wonderful world. When you buy a lottery ticket and don't win, do you go back for a refund? This is delusional thinking. It's a discount, not a refund.
And in future, put a limit on it. One year should be sufficient.

Just to clarify in Australia pissed means to get drunk. So okay, I suppose AFTER laughing your head off you can do that, or while you are doing that.
From me - ignore the crap outa this one. The pita-baton is officially passed, er, mailed to you.
shades_smile.gif

Next visit if no next visit no "discount" it wasn't money you offered her..
JB I think in this context the "Pissed" means "Not Happy".
Its the sort of CHQ request that would make one want to go out and get "pissed" ( Drunk )
Hahah

You know.... everyone wants to jump on this bandwagon.
Why would someone ask for $40 nearly 6 years later?

So she moved, she could have used this anytime before she moved if now it is 'too far to travel'.
This is one more for the 'I thought I have heard everything' book.
I would just ignore this request.

N o cash refunds as a $40.00 discount on another visit was offered. Pa to Va. , surely she jest. Have guest here now from Holland and most come from D.C., Balt., N.C., N.Y.City., Norfolk, etc.
Laugh, laugh, laugh and you know it's past 5 pm.
shades_smile.gif
Distance too far? Texas and Ontario just left and Florida just came in.

Why would you even consider giving her money??? It is a discount for a services . Which it sounds like she would not be using in any event. A DISCOUNT for anything has no cash value.

Latest posts

Back