TV's for Business Travelers

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It makes no sense to me, this whole discussion. It really flabbergasts me, really. TV's were invented, when? In the 1940's or something. If they want to TURN THE UNIT on they can, if they DON'T WANT TO then they have control over it.
I think this is really a discussion on cost. When I asked DH about it he was shocked that this was even a discussion on this forum (except for the innkeeper in Paradise - he agreed fresh orchids and rain showers = no tv's). He was the one who said "Why does EVERY hotel room have a TV?" Of course business guests want TV's.
Just like shared bathrooms, this is a reality. Sheesh those who fought wifi finally joined the club because they were forced to. You have NO idea how much business you LOSE if you do not offer a TV. It is a cost of doing business..
We have one B&B in town that offers TV's in every room along with a DVD player and full library of DVD's. Does that one thing alone bring them more biz than anyone else? I can't answer that because their rooms also have fireplaces, jetted tubs and private decks.
Otherwise, it's catch as catch can on TV's in this town. For me, it is not the $500+/room cost for a flat panel HDTV (the only TV that would fit would be wall-mounted, flat panel) it is the noise. The grannies and the grampies who have the TV cranked to 10 when in the living room would also do that in their bedrooms. And have them on all night. The young kids we get would run the TV's all day and night. I'd just as soon mom & dad didn't decide to leave jr parked in front of the TV in the room while they went out all day by themselves. Not having a TV pretty much guarantees that jr is going out.
It's a conscious decision to not have TV's. One we make every year. THEN, it's not just the TV, it's the cost of the boxes. Each month, an additional $100 or so to have TV, even when no one is in the house. I don't have $1200/year for something relatively few people ask for.
Have I had guests not book because there was no TV? Absolutely. In a year? Maybe 3-4 people hang up on me. How many don't even bother to call? I don't know. Do I care? No. Again, conscious decision.
This week, did I hear the TV's in the other guest rooms where I was staying? Darn tootin' I did. Unless you have very good sound insulation, TV's can be a menace. How many guests walk out the door and leave the A/C running? The same number will go out for dinner and late night shopping and leave the TV running at full volume.
Along the lines of 'how long have we had...' fridges have been around longer than TV's, many places don't offer that amenity, either. And you'd really only need one fridge.
I know this is just my attitude, but if someone can't miss one episode of 'American Idol' while they are on vacation, they have more problems than having a TV in their room can solve. Need the weather? We have a TV and a computer to use downstairs. Ditto needing updates on sports and news. I hate TV, it's a mind-numbing, time-sucking monkey so we don't have them everywhere in the house.
But, you all knew I felt that way anyhow!
PS- I really only get this wound up when I've spent time with family who run the TV from the time they get up (6 AM) until the tine they go to bed (midnight) with no break for conversation. So, I guess you know how my vacation went this week.

It makes no sense to me, this whole discussion. It really flabbergasts me, really. TV's were invented, when? In the 1940's or something. If they want to TURN THE UNIT on they can, if they DON'T WANT TO then they have control over it.
I think this is really a discussion on cost. When I asked DH about it he was shocked that this was even a discussion on this forum (except for the innkeeper in Paradise - he agreed fresh orchids and rain showers = no tv's). He was the one who said "Why does EVERY hotel room have a TV?" Of course business guests want TV's.
Just like shared bathrooms, this is a reality. Sheesh those who fought wifi finally joined the club because they were forced to. You have NO idea how much business you LOSE if you do not offer a TV. It is a cost of doing business..
We have one B&B in town that offers TV's in every room along with a DVD player and full library of DVD's. Does that one thing alone bring them more biz than anyone else? I can't answer that because their rooms also have fireplaces, jetted tubs and private decks.
Otherwise, it's catch as catch can on TV's in this town. For me, it is not the $500+/room cost for a flat panel HDTV (the only TV that would fit would be wall-mounted, flat panel) it is the noise. The grannies and the grampies who have the TV cranked to 10 when in the living room would also do that in their bedrooms. And have them on all night. The young kids we get would run the TV's all day and night. I'd just as soon mom & dad didn't decide to leave jr parked in front of the TV in the room while they went out all day by themselves. Not having a TV pretty much guarantees that jr is going out.
It's a conscious decision to not have TV's. One we make every year. THEN, it's not just the TV, it's the cost of the boxes. Each month, an additional $100 or so to have TV, even when no one is in the house. I don't have $1200/year for something relatively few people ask for.
Have I had guests not book because there was no TV? Absolutely. In a year? Maybe 3-4 people hang up on me. How many don't even bother to call? I don't know. Do I care? No. Again, conscious decision.
This week, did I hear the TV's in the other guest rooms where I was staying? Darn tootin' I did. Unless you have very good sound insulation, TV's can be a menace. How many guests walk out the door and leave the A/C running? The same number will go out for dinner and late night shopping and leave the TV running at full volume.
Along the lines of 'how long have we had...' fridges have been around longer than TV's, many places don't offer that amenity, either. And you'd really only need one fridge.
I know this is just my attitude, but if someone can't miss one episode of 'American Idol' while they are on vacation, they have more problems than having a TV in their room can solve. Need the weather? We have a TV and a computer to use downstairs. Ditto needing updates on sports and news. I hate TV, it's a mind-numbing, time-sucking monkey so we don't have them everywhere in the house.
But, you all knew I felt that way anyhow!
PS- I really only get this wound up when I've spent time with family who run the TV from the time they get up (6 AM) until the tine they go to bed (midnight) with no break for conversation. So, I guess you know how my vacation went this week.
And I'm with Bree. It's not a matter of cost for me; if I thought they were needed, I would have them. Investing in six TVs wouldn't break the bank, nor would the cable bill. I just had a full house this weekend and the TV in the living room wasn't turned on once. I'm getting a little tired of being told that I'm just behind the times on this one - it's a choice I make for my B&B. Just like someone chooses to have breakfast at a specific time, or to not accommodate breakfast requests.
A few days ago I took a call about a full house weekend where one couple had to have a TV 'so they could sleep with it on at night'. Oh, and they wanted a discount to book the whole house. They offered to bring their own TV. They could, but they won't get any channels in the rooms. Sorry, I don't need the business that badly to install TVs for that. Some other B&B will fill the bill for them, and I am okay with that.

I won't make the decision for my guests, or poll others to use their preferences for other guests.
I have what would be medium sized flat screens with DVD in my suites.
My guests don't watch tv so much as get a movie, pop some corn in the tasting room and snuggle in bed to watch it together.
I think they enjoy it rather than going out at night since they are from the cities and would rather enjoy the suite and a movie and/or the back deck with a glass of wine.
Riki

TV's are not expensive these days. You don't have to provide a big fancy one in the rooms. Sometimes we watch tv and sometimes we don't but I want the option. A lot of people might turn it on in the morning while the other half is doing their thing in the bathroom. My guests seem to check the weather channel and international news to find out what's going on at home. I think a TV should be a basic ammenity now.
I don't like tv's in the guest lounge either. Last year when at a bb WITH NO TV my husband and I were visiting with some other guests in the lounge. Another guest came in and turned on the TV because he had to watch Survivor or something like that. Well, that absolutely ended the nice conversation and glass of wine AND the relaxing evening. If the guest had his own TV the rest of us wouldn't have been put out.

TV's are not expensive these days. You don't have to provide a big fancy one in the rooms. Sometimes we watch tv and sometimes we don't but I want the option. A lot of people might turn it on in the morning while the other half is doing their thing in the bathroom. My guests seem to check the weather channel and international news to find out what's going on at home. I think a TV should be a basic ammenity now.
I don't like tv's in the guest lounge either. Last year when at a bb WITH NO TV my husband and I were visiting with some other guests in the lounge. Another guest came in and turned on the TV because he had to watch Survivor or something like that. Well, that absolutely ended the nice conversation and glass of wine AND the relaxing evening. If the guest had his own TV the rest of us wouldn't have been put out..
When we have the wing finished we will have a library and a lounge/sitting room. One will have the tv, so our guests can go to the sitting room or the outside deck if the weather permits, so I think we have that problem solved.
Riki

I don't like tv's in the guest lounge either. Last year when at a bb WITH NO TV my husband and I were visiting with some other guests in the lounge. Another guest came in and turned on the TV because he had to watch Survivor or something like that. Well, that absolutely ended the nice conversation and glass of wine AND the relaxing evening. If the guest had his own TV the rest of us wouldn't have been put out..
When we have the wing finished we will have a library and a lounge/sitting room. One will have the tv, so our guests can go to the sitting room or the outside deck if the weather permits, so I think we have that problem solved.
Riki
And what if they want to just lie down on the bed and watch something? Husband is in the shower before wife is dressed and she wants to check something on tv??

On vacation, we had one of those TV/DVD players in our room. It was small and sat on a side table right next to the bed. I am still trying to find room for CHAIRS in the rooms so I would have to hang the TV off the wall. I refuse to put those industrial TV holders like are mounted in hospitals. I just saw a house for sale that had those mounted in each room in the house. Ugly as sin.
So, it's flat panel or nothing here. And until there is a way to control the sound level it's not happening here. I've told you all about being kept awake HERE by guests blaring the TV all night long. (And yelling and screaming if it is a ballgame.) I won't subject the rest of the guests to what I have to suffer with the TV in the next room to me. (In a guest room, not in the living room.)
For every guest who turns on the closed captioning so as not to disturb others with the sound, there are 10 who think they're the only guests in the house.
I'd love to dump the TV in the living room, too! And maybe the next reno will find there is no room for a TV with the new furniture placement. And if I can find a way to get the TV out of my own living room, I will. 'Compromise' is what my daughter tells me marriage is about. So, for me, that means the TV is in the living room now instead of in the basement where it was when I was 'in charge'.

UUUHMMM... You are suggesting that there is only one option? To the point of being flabbergasted? AND that it is on par with shared bathrooms? AND that we have NO idea how much business we are losing?

Riki
And what if they want to just lie down on the bed and watch something? Husband is in the shower before wife is dressed and she wants to check something on tv??
ginocat said:
that's why we have the medium sized tv/vcr in the suite rooms where they can lie in bed and watch a movie etc. But those tvs are only on antennas so they only get around 4 channels.
But point for those who don't want them because of cable/dish costs, check when your area goes high definition. Our tvs in the suites when from receiving 2 channels just "okay" to 5 channels crystal clear! Yipeee
Riki

This is another of the depends on the inn question. If the inn has a niche for romanctic get-away - why would they need a TV? This question refers to business guests - not guests in general. Yes, if you have a lot of business people, you may want to consider TVs for weather, stock market reports, news... and even that big game he cannot watch at home because he is on the road.
I get very few business guests but I do have them in 2 of my 3 rooms. I also agree that if a guest cannot miss one episode of whatever, they have a BIG problem. I hope my life is NEVER controlled by what is on TV.

This is another of the depends on the inn question. If the inn has a niche for romanctic get-away - why would they need a TV? This question refers to business guests - not guests in general. Yes, if you have a lot of business people, you may want to consider TVs for weather, stock market reports, news... and even that big game he cannot watch at home because he is on the road.
I get very few business guests but I do have them in 2 of my 3 rooms. I also agree that if a guest cannot miss one episode of whatever, they have a BIG problem. I hope my life is NEVER controlled by what is on TV..
gillumhouse said:
I get very few business guests but I do have them in 2 of my 3 rooms. I also agree that if a guest cannot miss one episode of whatever, they have a BIG problem. I hope my life is NEVER controlled by what is on TV.
The romantic get aways like to watch movies on the TV/VCR that is not a mickey mouse for the kids that mom is watching. Or they like to watch a romantic comedy while soaking in the tub. They get used a lot.
I am not here to force anyone into what I assume will be a romantic getaway.
I am here to provide whatever they wish to use and more (things they don't have at home like whirlpool tub and heated tiled floors) for their romantic getaway. They pick and choose what they wish to use and how they use it.
And many love to come back after doing whatever it is they are doing and curl up in bed with a bowl of popcorn and watch a movie in peace.
Riki

I began this thread asking about TV's for business travelers only but it has morphed into much more, which I always find fascintating and thought provoking. When I asked the husband and wife who said, "No, No, Never" to TV's, why they feel that way they said that having a TV in the room would prompt them to watch it. That's exactly what they didn't want to do. So, everyone who argues that guests don't have to watch it just because it's available, I think miss the point of why some guests don't even want one available. It's just too easy to turn it on and turn off from each other and conversation. They are coming here, sometimes, to get away from the TV, news, etc. We do have a TV in a small, guest sitting room. This is a separate room from the main sitting room so other guests don't have to hear it or see it. My guess is that we will leave it as it is.
One a personal note, 13 years ago my husband and I took our three children on vacation for 10 days and went without TV, newspapers, radio, cell phones, computer, and emails, and basically disconnected for those 10 days. It was the only trip we've ever taken like that and to this day everyone agrees it was the best trip we ever took. It is so hard to disconnect today, even for a few hours.
sad_smile.gif

I get very few business guests but I do have them in 2 of my 3 rooms. I also agree that if a guest cannot miss one episode of whatever, they have a BIG problem. I hope my life is NEVER controlled by what is on TV..
gillumhouse said:
The romantic get aways like to watch movies on the TV/VCR that is not a mickey mouse for the kids that mom is watching. Or they like to watch a romantic comedy while soaking in the tub. They get used a lot.
I am not here to force anyone into what I assume will be a romantic getaway.
I am here to provide whatever they wish to use and more (things they don't have at home like whirlpool tub and heated tiled floors) for their romantic getaway. They pick and choose what they wish to use and how they use it.
And many love to come back after doing whatever it is they are doing and curl up in bed with a bowl of popcorn and watch a movie in peace.
Riki
Checkmate!

I find it silly to be debating whether or not B&B's "should" have TV's. We're not talking about health and sanitation here. A TV is just a thing that some people consider an amenity, some consider an idiot-box, and others don't care either way if they share space with one or not. There's no "should" about it.
If someone wants to say "I need a TV available when I travel" that's fine. Choose a B&B with TVs. But to say "all B&B's need to offer TVs" is egocentric and illogical.
I also find it hilarious to make an argument for TVs by saying that hotels have them. Since when did we make our business decisions based on trying to be more like hotels?? If that's the case, we also have to outfit all our rooms with mini-fridges and coffee makers (which, by the way, were invented decades ago and are not expensive).
I don't have guest TVs and it's not because I'm somehow financially or technically deficient. It's a choice that works for what I offer and who I target. Do I lose some business because of it? Sure. I also lose some business because I'm out in the country or because I take dogs in two of my rooms. But these same things appeal to other guests.
For people who NEED a TV, it's hard for them to comprehend that anyone would be expected to endure a few days without one. I'm not knocking anyone who needs a TV, lots of people like them for company. But there are also a LOT of people who truly don't miss it when it's not there or are glad to know there isn't one in their room (or the room next to them). It's this latter group that I am happy to provide for. I can't be all things to all people and nor do I want to. The TV-needers will find plenty of other places to stay. Every B&B has to choose what works for them and their target market.
This topic is like religion. No one is going to be converted to the other side so we can all stop proselytizing.

I find it silly to be debating whether or not B&B's "should" have TV's. We're not talking about health and sanitation here. A TV is just a thing that some people consider an amenity, some consider an idiot-box, and others don't care either way if they share space with one or not. There's no "should" about it.
If someone wants to say "I need a TV available when I travel" that's fine. Choose a B&B with TVs. But to say "all B&B's need to offer TVs" is egocentric and illogical.
I also find it hilarious to make an argument for TVs by saying that hotels have them. Since when did we make our business decisions based on trying to be more like hotels?? If that's the case, we also have to outfit all our rooms with mini-fridges and coffee makers (which, by the way, were invented decades ago and are not expensive).
I don't have guest TVs and it's not because I'm somehow financially or technically deficient. It's a choice that works for what I offer and who I target. Do I lose some business because of it? Sure. I also lose some business because I'm out in the country or because I take dogs in two of my rooms. But these same things appeal to other guests.
For people who NEED a TV, it's hard for them to comprehend that anyone would be expected to endure a few days without one. I'm not knocking anyone who needs a TV, lots of people like them for company. But there are also a LOT of people who truly don't miss it when it's not there or are glad to know there isn't one in their room (or the room next to them). It's this latter group that I am happy to provide for. I can't be all things to all people and nor do I want to. The TV-needers will find plenty of other places to stay. Every B&B has to choose what works for them and their target market.
This topic is like religion. No one is going to be converted to the other side so we can all stop proselytizing..
Ahhhh, but think of the pros and cons we have presented for the aspiring or the newbie...... You are correct - each will do what fits for them - just as we do with everything else in our inns.

Has anyone had any problems having TV's in a B & B such as noise from one rooms TV to another room?.
We have never had a problem while staying at a B&B with TV noise other than the noise from one in a common area.
We have a couple of rooms here where the TV can be heard in the hallway, but other guests can't hear it from room to room.

Yes. 100% here do. They don't need to ask us if there's a TV in their room because we turn them on to the guide channel along with a few lights before check-in. Frankly, for us there is also an expectation that we will have cable TV. They all want to be able to check weather and CNN. Many also check into the sports updates. And right now they will want to watch college basketball :)
My dh will not stay somewhere where there isn't a TV in the room. Just the way he is.... Just because there is a TV in the room doesn't mean that you can't have a romantic getaway either.
wink_smile.gif

The expectation for TVs for business guests (and other guests as well) may change as people get more smart phones with web browsing...people are setting their phones up with alerts for weather & news and so on so having a TV may not be as important to them.

I won't make the decision for my guests, or poll others to use their preferences for other guests.
I have what would be medium sized flat screens with DVD in my suites.
My guests don't watch tv so much as get a movie, pop some corn in the tasting room and snuggle in bed to watch it together.
I think they enjoy it rather than going out at night since they are from the cities and would rather enjoy the suite and a movie and/or the back deck with a glass of wine.
Riki.
I agree...the TVs are there for folks to leave turned on or to turn it off. We also have DVDs & videos for people to watch in their rooms. Lots of romantic comedies (because that seems to be what the folks on a getaway watch who are the ones perusing the movies) and then some action movies. They do get used.
I am not a fan of the TVs in common areas at a B&B. To me, it eliminates a place to sit and read or talk that is other than your room. You have to negotiate with other guests about what channel to have on, etc. Now, if you have multiple common spaces and one has a TV, that's a different story. Or if there's also a place where I can go outside on a porch, patio, or deck to read or contemplate my navel if I wish, that's super!
This is an individual choice for innkeepers...they have to know their market and demographic niche. I don't think having TVs for guests should just be dismissed out of hand. An inn-mate who probably has 99% romantic getaways had no TVs in the rooms when they opened. Then, they got requests to at least have a TV to play movies. Now they are adding cable TV. It's what the people want there :)

I began this thread asking about TV's for business travelers only but it has morphed into much more, which I always find fascintating and thought provoking. When I asked the husband and wife who said, "No, No, Never" to TV's, why they feel that way they said that having a TV in the room would prompt them to watch it. That's exactly what they didn't want to do. So, everyone who argues that guests don't have to watch it just because it's available, I think miss the point of why some guests don't even want one available. It's just too easy to turn it on and turn off from each other and conversation. They are coming here, sometimes, to get away from the TV, news, etc. We do have a TV in a small, guest sitting room. This is a separate room from the main sitting room so other guests don't have to hear it or see it. My guess is that we will leave it as it is.
One a personal note, 13 years ago my husband and I took our three children on vacation for 10 days and went without TV, newspapers, radio, cell phones, computer, and emails, and basically disconnected for those 10 days. It was the only trip we've ever taken like that and to this day everyone agrees it was the best trip we ever took. It is so hard to disconnect today, even for a few hours.
sad_smile.gif
That's why we used to go camping. :) lol!

sad_smile.gif
If a couple have trouble over turning a tv on or not they have bigger problems and it's not our place to say we'll not have tv because some wives may not want their husbands to turn on the tv or visa versa. We are not marriage counselors for heaven's sake!

What I miss is a cd player or something for music. We do turn tv on at times or leave it off (our choice) but would like to have some nice relaxing music to go with a glass of wine. I must admit I don't have cd players in the rooms and I often think I should put some in.

Back