TV's for Business Travelers

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I began this thread asking about TV's for business travelers only but it has morphed into much more, which I always find fascintating and thought provoking. When I asked the husband and wife who said, "No, No, Never" to TV's, why they feel that way they said that having a TV in the room would prompt them to watch it. That's exactly what they didn't want to do. So, everyone who argues that guests don't have to watch it just because it's available, I think miss the point of why some guests don't even want one available. It's just too easy to turn it on and turn off from each other and conversation. They are coming here, sometimes, to get away from the TV, news, etc. We do have a TV in a small, guest sitting room. This is a separate room from the main sitting room so other guests don't have to hear it or see it. My guess is that we will leave it as it is.
One a personal note, 13 years ago my husband and I took our three children on vacation for 10 days and went without TV, newspapers, radio, cell phones, computer, and emails, and basically disconnected for those 10 days. It was the only trip we've ever taken like that and to this day everyone agrees it was the best trip we ever took. It is so hard to disconnect today, even for a few hours.
sad_smile.gif
If a couple have trouble over turning a tv on or not they have bigger problems and it's not our place to say we'll not have tv because some wives may not want their husbands to turn on the tv or visa versa. We are not marriage counselors for heaven's sake!

What I miss is a cd player or something for music. We do turn tv on at times or leave it off (our choice) but would like to have some nice relaxing music to go with a glass of wine. I must admit I don't have cd players in the rooms and I often think I should put some in.
ginocat said:
What I miss is a cd player or something for music. We do turn tv on at times or leave it off (our choice) but would like to have some nice relaxing music to go with a glass of wine. I must admit I don't have cd players in the rooms and I often think I should put some in.
We have no CD's in the rooms, but my TV's have music stations...

I began this thread asking about TV's for business travelers only but it has morphed into much more, which I always find fascintating and thought provoking. When I asked the husband and wife who said, "No, No, Never" to TV's, why they feel that way they said that having a TV in the room would prompt them to watch it. That's exactly what they didn't want to do. So, everyone who argues that guests don't have to watch it just because it's available, I think miss the point of why some guests don't even want one available. It's just too easy to turn it on and turn off from each other and conversation. They are coming here, sometimes, to get away from the TV, news, etc. We do have a TV in a small, guest sitting room. This is a separate room from the main sitting room so other guests don't have to hear it or see it. My guess is that we will leave it as it is.
One a personal note, 13 years ago my husband and I took our three children on vacation for 10 days and went without TV, newspapers, radio, cell phones, computer, and emails, and basically disconnected for those 10 days. It was the only trip we've ever taken like that and to this day everyone agrees it was the best trip we ever took. It is so hard to disconnect today, even for a few hours.
sad_smile.gif
If a couple have trouble over turning a tv on or not they have bigger problems and it's not our place to say we'll not have tv because some wives may not want their husbands to turn on the tv or visa versa. We are not marriage counselors for heaven's sake!

ginocat said:

We have clock radios. Not the best quality sound in the world. I agree, I would like music as well. Of course music stations on the tv, but same same not good quality. With these MP3 players going down down down in price I think I will be doing something with that soon.

Yes, tv's have music but then the tv screen is on and that can be distracting.
tounge_smile.gif

I also have clock radios but the sound is crumby and sometimes our reception here allows only for CBC which is often 'talk' radio. The MP3 thing sounds possible.

Regarding radios: in our room info we include a short list of the stations and where to find them on the dial, briefly indicating the type of music/programming and local, regional or national for news and weather. It makes it easier for the guests to find what they want.

I'm just throwing this out there because this biz guest defies all the stuff we talk about...last stay had a problem with the WiFi in the room he was in. Booked the same room this time. It's a frilly room. The bathroom is across the hall. He watched TV and knows there's no TV in this particular room. He was conducting business in the dining room because there was no desk/seating in the room (there is now).
When he checked out, even after all the little 'issues' he said he had a wonderful stay, thanks for the great breakfast and getting him squared away with places to eat.
I'm going to continue doing what I do, I've got my niche!

WOW! What a discussion on TV's. I probably do loose some guests because we do not have a TV in every room, we have many comon areas inside and outside. One party that rented the whole guest house wanted to see the debates between Obama and Bush, one TV did the trick I think that it would take the whole idea of being in a B & B and "away" from it all to have a TV in every room. Plus the noise would also create a problem not to mention the cost of a box in every room since we have satellite and its already alot to have just three TV's.
Some don't have wi-fy and some have shared baths and some don't cook a full breakfast and have a continental breakfast, some don't do breakfast at all--its all relative to the area, the guests the B & B is appealing to and what you deam your "niche" is. We have a rec room with TV, VCR, DVD and have a radio in every room.I've only had one guest coment that we do not have a TV in every room, and I guess they went elsewhere.
I don't think I am loosing so much business because I don't have a TV, I think that so much more comes into the whole B & B experience and truthfully a TV is a reason to be "disconnected" from eachother.
Thats my take on it.....

sad_smile.gif

We have CD players in the rooms except for a couple that have iPod dock clock radios. Those rooms also have the DVD/VHS combo players so you can play music through........guess what??? The TV!!! hahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!
devil_smile.gif
Of course, it does this screensaver thing but is not too distracting like the music stations with all the text.
I won't spring for the digital TV in all the rooms so they can get the music channels. They have HBO & Showtime & that's plenty of extra stuff beyond the expanded basic cable lineup.

sad_smile.gif

We have CD players in the rooms except for a couple that have iPod dock clock radios. Those rooms also have the DVD/VHS combo players so you can play music through........guess what??? The TV!!! hahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!
devil_smile.gif
Of course, it does this screensaver thing but is not too distracting like the music stations with all the text.
I won't spring for the digital TV in all the rooms so they can get the music channels. They have HBO & Showtime & that's plenty of extra stuff beyond the expanded basic cable lineup.
That's odd. Our music channels come with the package and we don't have HBO or Showtime. I guess it depends on what provider it is. Our music channels just have 'snow' there's no picture or anything. I think it says across the top what station it is. I wouldn't mind either nothing on the screen or some sort of 'slideshow'. The snow is annoying.

sad_smile.gif

devil_smile.gif
That's odd. Our music channels come with the package and we don't have HBO or Showtime. I guess it depends on what provider it is. Our music channels just have 'snow' there's no picture or anything. I think it says across the top what station it is. I wouldn't mind either nothing on the screen or some sort of 'slideshow'. The snow is annoying.
We don't have the digital boxes in the guest rooms. There's a plethora of music channels but they only come with digital service. They have some kind of picture & the song, album it's from, etc. I only have expanded basic for those areas and then HBO as a premium channel. The service guy left Showtime untrapped too at no charge.
There is music on one of the local government access channel though where they run meeting notices, etc. Sometimes I find that guests have left that on in the rooms.

Back