Unbelievable. Just. Simply. Unbelievable

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BananaE29

Reaction score
I don't even know where to begin with this. I thought I would just say it, short & sweet, and let you all know what's happening in my little world. But I'm still pretty emotional about this and am probably going to end up babbling and ranting.

I received an offer on my inn about a month ago. After some relatively easy negotiations, we finalized our contract, but with a 30 opt out option (with a small monetary amount). That made me a little nervous, but not much - the buyers were right on top of things, they had their house on the market in another state (although selling it was not necessary, financially, to make this deal work), they flew here two separate times (yes, they paid to stay!), they made a "formal" announcement to all their friend and family on f book, he gave an "informal" notice at his job, they paid the earnest money, they asked so many freaking questions I thought my head would pop off. My mind was already GONE from this career, and I could tell (well, I thought) that their minds were already here. I've been packing boxes. They've been selling furniture. Inspections went fine - a few little things we agreed on, no big deal. We agreed to moving the closing date up a few weeks because things were going so smoothly.

You can see where I'm going with this. They've terminated our contract. Their realtor (which was MY realtor that I fired - and don't even ask how this all came about) has not been very communicative, so I called the B&B broker that they worked with after they would not return my call or email. They just decided they didn't like the town. ARE YOU F$#*ING kidding me?!!?!??! You couldn't have figured out prior to NOW that you didn't like it here? The female half grew up in this area, has been here several times, still has family and friends in the area, but decided to waste my time and put me on an emotional roller coaster because of their piss poor planning. Seriously? I am not kidding when I say I went WAAAAY above and beyond with the information provided and the time I spent with them, holding their hand, doing research that they should have been doing, sharing information that really wasn't necessary at this point of the game, trying to squash their fears of failure, sharing personal things and feeling like a tennis ball between the two of them, talking over the top of each other and making my head spin, trying to keep up with what they wanted. Hours and hours and hours of this!

I am just beyond flabbergasted. It seems there has GOT to be a different reason, but the broker assures me there is not. No problems with the inspection, the business records, me personally...nope....just the town. This is a wonderful freaking town! I love it here! They have some serious issues. I don't think they know of this forum - if they do, they will recognize themselves, but I could care less. I'm sure the B&B broker comes on here, but he was equally frustrated with the time they wasted with all of us.

I know things happen for a reason. I do have a strong faith that there is a better buyer, and something waiting for me out there that just isn't quite ready yet. Those buyers don't deserve the love and loyalty I've put into this, nor do they deserve the awesome guests it attracts (yes, I grumble about the bad ones, but don't we all? ), and they are indeed crazy if they don't like this beautiful city. CRAZY. I can get past this, but I am so angry that they have not even had the decency to call and attempt to explain to me what happened. That is so incredibly rude and inconsiderate.

To any aspirings out there...please know that the sale of our home is not just a business transaction to us, nor should you treat it as such. This is my whole life and I am proud of what I've done and anyone that treats it like those people did...they just have no heart.
broken_heart.gif

I don't even know if I've made sense here...but thanks for listening. Thanks for being here.

Just...wow. I am so, so sorry that this happened to you. That's really all that anyone can say. hugs...

I am just sick. What kind of people do this?
I think it is cold feet. Reality set in and they could not deal with that.
Your town IS fabulous. No it can't be the town unless there are things from the past that she just simply could not keep in the past.

I am with you, there is a better buyer out there. Hope they find your place sooner rather than later.

I cannot imagine your disappointment, but I can offer a gentle word in support.
Of course, there is that part of me that wants to throttle these morons.

Oh no, so sorry to hear this. sounds like they really got cold feet. dont blame yourself! but do learn a lesson from this for the next time.I am sure you have already.

Oh no, so sorry to hear this. sounds like they really got cold feet. dont blame yourself! but do learn a lesson from this for the next time.I am sure you have already..
EmptyNest said:
Oh no, so sorry to hear this. sounds like they really got cold feet. dont blame yourself! but do learn a lesson from this for the next time.I am sure you have already.
Thanks Em. I'm confused about what you mean by learn a lesson from this?

Under the circumstances, I think your rant is well modulated. So sorry this happened to you. Maybe EN is suggesting more earnest money or less soul spilling. I have no idea what I'd do differently in your place.

I'm so sorry these people did this to you. There are no words to describe what you're feeling right now. It happened to me once and no one should have to go through that.

some people are just fricking nuts - just a ruddy nightmare when you thought it was all in the bag and sorted.

I wish I could wave a magic wand and take away all the hurt and disappointment for you. I cannot. This is one of the deeper valleys of life. It must mean something is not quite where it needs to be in the timing of your future. One thing this DID do for you is that you now know there will not be any problems with inspections or any other hindrance that could pop up and say, "SURPRISE!!" You now know your inn is as ready as you are. THAT stress has been removed. Always try to find the plus, it helps mitigate the disappointment. I truly believe that as much as this hurt, it will turn out to be good.
I thought you said you are not leaving the town. Think how hard it would be to watch another owner let what you built go to rack & ruin. And from their behavior, these people sound like meat heads. OR they may have gotten a surprise of their own that kabotched the deal tht they are "drawing in the wagons" about. Perhaps the funds they thought they had disappeared - it would not be the first time a kid, sibling, or parent raided the accounts and it was not discovered until the victim needed to tap the funds. No matter what happened, they are to be pitied as they will not have the joys of being an innkeeper and living in the wonderful world you created.
And next time, I am certain the monetary amount will not be small.

Oh no, so sorry to hear this. sounds like they really got cold feet. dont blame yourself! but do learn a lesson from this for the next time.I am sure you have already..
EmptyNest said:
Next time, don't go overboard trying to help out potential buyers. You put too much of yourself out there. Until you see the money...don't do it. Then you can help all you want.

That's awful. I'm sorry. It almost seems that the harder the seller works to make the sale happen, the more the buyers pull back. I could be wrong.

EmptyNest said:
Next time, don't go overboard trying to help out potential buyers. You put too much of yourself out there. Until you see the money...don't do it. Then you can help all you want.
EmptyNest said:

Yes. you are right. I tend to do that with guests too. That's when I come here and complain about the personal questions, etc. It's hard to simply refuse to answer a question when posed to you though - especially in this Buyer situation.

What I did learn - is that when they request a 30 day opt out period, that this is a big red flag and I'll ask for a larger option fee. They paid $250 for that 30 days and they used it. I agree to it because they wanted to be present for the inspections and sure that they could get the financing (which actually was never a problem). The earnest money (which was a large amount) gets returned. Other than that, I'm comfortable with everything we had agreed upon. But it is definitely a learning experience for the next Buyer.
I know some of you may shake your head at this, but I had to do it. I called the Buyer last night (blocked my number so they would pick up). She answered, I said my name and SHE HUNG UP ON ME! Who does this? Seriously! So completely rude and unprofessional. I just can't grasp the mentality of people that are so inconsiderate of others' feelings. I really do feel there must be some mental/medical issues there that I'm not aware of. I only wanted to hear from them the reason for backing out, so I could try to put this to rest. I want them to tell me why.

This closure is going to take a while. My feelings are hurt and it doesn't make sense. When something doesn't make sense, and I can't put it into a little category in my head....it rolls around up there for a long time and I pick it apart and analyzes it to death until I'm just a basket case.

EmptyNest said:
EmptyNest said:

Yes. you are right. I tend to do that with guests too. That's when I come here and complain about the personal questions, etc. It's hard to simply refuse to answer a question when posed to you though - especially in this Buyer situation.

What I did learn - is that when they request a 30 day opt out period, that this is a big red flag and I'll ask for a larger option fee. They paid $250 for that 30 days and they used it. I agree to it because they wanted to be present for the inspections and sure that they could get the financing (which actually was never a problem). The earnest money (which was a large amount) gets returned. Other than that, I'm comfortable with everything we had agreed upon. But it is definitely a learning experience for the next Buyer.
I know some of you may shake your head at this, but I had to do it. I called the Buyer last night (blocked my number so they would pick up). She answered, I said my name and SHE HUNG UP ON ME! Who does this? Seriously! So completely rude and unprofessional. I just can't grasp the mentality of people that are so inconsiderate of others' feelings. I really do feel there must be some mental/medical issues there that I'm not aware of. I only wanted to hear from them the reason for backing out, so I could try to put this to rest. I want them to tell me why.

This closure is going to take a while. My feelings are hurt and it doesn't make sense. When something doesn't make sense, and I can't put it into a little category in my head....it rolls around up there for a long time and I pick it apart and analyzes it to death until I'm just a basket case.
BananaE29 said:
EmptyNest said:

Hung up on you? I would be happy to have that buyer's name please, since we are for sale. Thank you.
In other comments - this is why some use a b&b broker and try to not have a personal connection to the sale at all, which as you found, is pretty darn impossible.
Interesting, as you already know, a prospective buyer, or a looker with no intention of buying, will ask blatant personal questions. People do not understand who are not for sale, or have not been on the market. They go through your personal quarters, and inspect everything, and you really feel "exposed" and for that I am sooooo sorry for you Banana.
The disappointment is one thing for the lack of sale, that is a huge downer, and the term downer is the right word, like you just got dropped off a building and hit concrete. The personal side makes it ten times worse.
I am so very sorry. You can vent here any time, we are here for you.

SMH - what a nasty thing to do. It is likely personal issues and nothing to do with you, but what a slap in the face anyway. Hugs!

EmptyNest said:
EmptyNest said:

BananaE29 said:
EmptyNest said:

Hung up on you? I would be happy to have that buyer's name please, since we are for sale. Thank you.
In other comments - this is why some use a b&b broker and try to not have a personal connection to the sale at all, which as you found, is pretty darn impossible.
Interesting, as you already know, a prospective buyer, or a looker with no intention of buying, will ask blatant personal questions. People do not understand who are not for sale, or have not been on the market. They go through your personal quarters, and inspect everything, and you really feel "exposed" and for that I am sooooo sorry for you Banana.
The disappointment is one thing for the lack of sale, that is a huge downer, and the term downer is the right word, like you just got dropped off a building and hit concrete. The personal side makes it ten times worse.
I am so very sorry. You can vent here any time, we are here for you.
It is the looking at the OQ that makes me wait until DH dies to go on the market as no sane person would knowingly live that cramped. We just have too much junk.

Back