Unbelievable. Just. Simply. Unbelievable

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh no, so sorry to hear this. sounds like they really got cold feet. dont blame yourself! but do learn a lesson from this for the next time.I am sure you have already..
EmptyNest said:
Oh no, so sorry to hear this. sounds like they really got cold feet. dont blame yourself! but do learn a lesson from this for the next time.I am sure you have already.
Thanks Em. I'm confused about what you mean by learn a lesson from this?
Next time, don't go overboard trying to help out potential buyers. You put too much of yourself out there. Until you see the money...don't do it. Then you can help all you want.
EmptyNest said:
Next time, don't go overboard trying to help out potential buyers. You put too much of yourself out there. Until you see the money...don't do it. Then you can help all you want.

Yes. you are right. I tend to do that with guests too. That's when I come here and complain about the personal questions, etc. It's hard to simply refuse to answer a question when posed to you though - especially in this Buyer situation.

What I did learn - is that when they request a 30 day opt out period, that this is a big red flag and I'll ask for a larger option fee. They paid $250 for that 30 days and they used it. I agree to it because they wanted to be present for the inspections and sure that they could get the financing (which actually was never a problem). The earnest money (which was a large amount) gets returned. Other than that, I'm comfortable with everything we had agreed upon. But it is definitely a learning experience for the next Buyer.
I know some of you may shake your head at this, but I had to do it. I called the Buyer last night (blocked my number so they would pick up). She answered, I said my name and SHE HUNG UP ON ME! Who does this? Seriously! So completely rude and unprofessional. I just can't grasp the mentality of people that are so inconsiderate of others' feelings. I really do feel there must be some mental/medical issues there that I'm not aware of. I only wanted to hear from them the reason for backing out, so I could try to put this to rest. I want them to tell me why.

This closure is going to take a while. My feelings are hurt and it doesn't make sense. When something doesn't make sense, and I can't put it into a little category in my head....it rolls around up there for a long time and I pick it apart and analyzes it to death until I'm just a basket case.
BananaE29 said:
EmptyNest said:

Yes. you are right. I tend to do that with guests too. That's when I come here and complain about the personal questions, etc. It's hard to simply refuse to answer a question when posed to you though - especially in this Buyer situation.

What I did learn - is that when they request a 30 day opt out period, that this is a big red flag and I'll ask for a larger option fee. They paid $250 for that 30 days and they used it. I agree to it because they wanted to be present for the inspections and sure that they could get the financing (which actually was never a problem). The earnest money (which was a large amount) gets returned. Other than that, I'm comfortable with everything we had agreed upon. But it is definitely a learning experience for the next Buyer.
I know some of you may shake your head at this, but I had to do it. I called the Buyer last night (blocked my number so they would pick up). She answered, I said my name and SHE HUNG UP ON ME! Who does this? Seriously! So completely rude and unprofessional. I just can't grasp the mentality of people that are so inconsiderate of others' feelings. I really do feel there must be some mental/medical issues there that I'm not aware of. I only wanted to hear from them the reason for backing out, so I could try to put this to rest. I want them to tell me why.

This closure is going to take a while. My feelings are hurt and it doesn't make sense. When something doesn't make sense, and I can't put it into a little category in my head....it rolls around up there for a long time and I pick it apart and analyzes it to death until I'm just a basket case.
Hung up on you? I would be happy to have that buyer's name please, since we are for sale. Thank you.
In other comments - this is why some use a b&b broker and try to not have a personal connection to the sale at all, which as you found, is pretty darn impossible.
Interesting, as you already know, a prospective buyer, or a looker with no intention of buying, will ask blatant personal questions. People do not understand who are not for sale, or have not been on the market. They go through your personal quarters, and inspect everything, and you really feel "exposed" and for that I am sooooo sorry for you Banana.
The disappointment is one thing for the lack of sale, that is a huge downer, and the term downer is the right word, like you just got dropped off a building and hit concrete. The personal side makes it ten times worse.
I am so very sorry. You can vent here any time, we are here for you.
Joey Bloggs said:
In other comments - this is why some use a b&b broker and try to not have a personal connection to the sale at all, which as you found, is pretty darn impossible.
Slight sidetrack...I have been privy to some communications between an innkeeper and the buyer and I have to say WAY too much information was being shared. DH & I discussed this and we are definitely using a broker and referring all questions to them. I do not want the drama of knowing the buyer is desperate or anything like that. In reverse I don't want the buyer to know we've had it and want to sell yesterday. (Altho, would have been nice in my case to know the seller had already bought another property and was on the hook for 2 mortgages. Which I guess I could have found out on my own had I thought to look.)

Oh no, so sorry to hear this. sounds like they really got cold feet. dont blame yourself! but do learn a lesson from this for the next time.I am sure you have already..
EmptyNest said:
Oh no, so sorry to hear this. sounds like they really got cold feet. dont blame yourself! but do learn a lesson from this for the next time.I am sure you have already.
EmptyNest said:

BananaE29 said:
EmptyNest said:

Hung up on you? I would be happy to have that buyer's name please, since we are for sale. Thank you.
Interesting, as you already know, a prospective buyer, or a looker with no intention of buying, will ask blatant personal questions. People do not understand who are not for sale, or have not been on the market. They go through your personal quarters, and inspect everything, and you really feel "exposed" and for that I am sooooo sorry for you Banana.
The disappointment is one thing for the lack of sale, that is a huge downer, and the term downer is the right word, like you just got dropped off a building and hit concrete. The personal side makes it ten times worse.
Joey Bloggs said:
Slight sidetrack...I have been privy to some communications between an innkeeper and the buyer and I have to say WAY too much information was being shared. DH & I discussed this and we are definitely using a broker and referring all questions to them. I do not want the drama of knowing the buyer is desperate or anything like that. In reverse I don't want the buyer to know we've had it and want to sell yesterday. (Altho, would have been nice in my case to know the seller had already bought another property and was on the hook for 2 mortgages. Which I guess I could have found out on my own had I thought to look.)
Madeleine said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Good luck.
Our B&B broker never knew anything and never got the information for us, and it was a total disappointment. Never verified the information we did get.
One thing I have seen here is that every buyer comes through and tells you their story. Some do before they even get the first comment from you, and you just cringe, so emotional, there is no way THIS one is going to work.
They are here all the time I am sure, so will prob be on this thread.

EmptyNest said:
EmptyNest said:

BananaE29 said:
EmptyNest said:

Joey Bloggs said:
Madeleine said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Slight sidetrack...I have been privy to some communications between an innkeeper and the buyer and I have to say WAY too much information was being shared.
It is next to impossible to not have direct communication with your Buyer, especially when it gets past a certain point. We had none until the contract was signed, all negotiations done. But there is a point where you are obligated to speak/email with them. Especially when they are staying in your inn and walking around in the middle of your personal space. There's no getting around that.

I will be more cautious with the next one, but hopefully not so much that I push them away. I just have to keep believing that things happen EXACTLY how they are supposed to. Otherwise, I will drive myself crazy, being hyper critical of what I say or don't say.

You got a raw deal. Not that it will help, but apparently it happens all the time with real estate/business deals. We have friends trying to sell a restaurant who have similar stories and our hearts break for them. You certainly deserve some time to rant so go to it!

EmptyNest said:
EmptyNest said:

BananaE29 said:
EmptyNest said:

Joey Bloggs said:
Madeleine said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Slight sidetrack...I have been privy to some communications between an innkeeper and the buyer and I have to say WAY too much information was being shared.
It is next to impossible to not have direct communication with your Buyer, especially when it gets past a certain point. We had none until the contract was signed, all negotiations done. But there is a point where you are obligated to speak/email with them. Especially when they are staying in your inn and walking around in the middle of your personal space. There's no getting around that.

I will be more cautious with the next one, but hopefully not so much that I push them away. I just have to keep believing that things happen EXACTLY how they are supposed to. Otherwise, I will drive myself crazy, being hyper critical of what I say or don't say.
BananaE29 said:
Madeleine said:
Joey Bloggs said:

I didn't mean a complete cone of silence but when we bought both brokers told us not to talk to each other. At all. If there were questions to be answered one of the brokers insisted on being present. I guess so no side deals were made. We had to email questions to the broker, who then got the info from the owner.
We did stay here but they did not share any info with us unless the broker was present. They mentioned stuff like how they tracked repeat guests, sent birthday cards, had Christmas gifts for repeats. Nothing earth-shattering. And everything was 'but you'll do it the way you want'.
The only couple of 'important' things they told us on the side they never followed thru on (buying a new griddle, having the owners' space cleaned before we moved in, stuff like that.)

EmptyNest said:
EmptyNest said:

I have to say this ... you must not do this again ... not ever. They are embarrassed and do not want to speak with you. They do not have to. You know they don't want to talk to you or you would not have blocked your number.
It's over.
Let it go.
Rant it here or scream at the wind.
But do not call or attempt to contact them again.
Please.
BananaE29 said:

This is a tough call. You get your hopes up and then it falls thru. I hate saying this but keep your head up and another buyer will come along. Best of luck

This is a tough call. You get your hopes up and then it falls thru. I hate saying this but keep your head up and another buyer will come along. Best of luck.
parkspring said:
This is a tough call. You get your hopes up and then it falls thru. I hate saying this but keep your head up and another buyer will come along. Best of luck
This is interesting, parkspring, that you just joined today and found this thread so easily. Do tell us a bit about yourself.

EmptyNest said:
EmptyNest said:

BananaE29 said:
EmptyNest said:

Joey Bloggs said:
Madeleine said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Good luck.
Our B&B broker never knew anything and never got the information for us, and it was a total disappointment. Never verified the information we did get.
One thing I have seen here is that every buyer comes through and tells you their story. Some do before they even get the first comment from you, and you just cringe, so emotional, there is no way THIS one is going to work.
Joey Bloggs said:
You, JB, are just about the smartest person I know :)

BREATHE go ahead BREATHE nothing is worth losing our sanity over especially disrespecting people.

BREATHE go ahead BREATHE nothing is worth losing our sanity over especially disrespecting people..
Parkspring, did we all miss your introduction somewhere? This post has been commented on, and moved past. I suffered a great disappointment, came here to share my feelings with my innmates and get support (which they all covered marvelously, thank you) and now you pop up out of nowhere to share your thoughts. I don't know who you are, and you've been asked by another person to share some information about why you are here. Did I miss your response?

You can move on from this post. No one else is hung up on it, but you sure seem to be. Your help is not needed here.

This is a tough call. You get your hopes up and then it falls thru. I hate saying this but keep your head up and another buyer will come along. Best of luck.
parkspring said:
Yes it is tough

BREATHE go ahead BREATHE nothing is worth losing our sanity over especially disrespecting people..
parkspring said:
BREATHE go ahead BREATHE nothing is worth losing our sanity over especially disrespecting people.
Parkspring, did we all miss your introduction somewhere? This post has been commented on, and moved past. I suffered a great disappointment, came here to share my feelings with my innmates and get support (which they all covered marvelously, thank you) and now you pop up out of nowhere to share your thoughts. I don't know who you are, and you've been asked by another person to share some information about why you are here. Did I miss your response?
You can move on from this post. No one else is hung up on it, but you sure seem to be. Please let it go.

Latest posts

Back