Unhappy Camper

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a similar incident last year with a couple, they came, checked in, I took them on the tour of the place I even took them to a popular scenic place not far from the Inn I though all was well, but when I came back from an erand (I had a friend here as well) they had dissapeared and later called and left a message on the phone that they had a "babysitting" emergency so we called them back at their home with no answer; we figured that they didn't like it for some reason and thought that they could "bully" us into not charging them.
I charged them for the entire stay, they tried to argue but did not win. We do however send guests that cancel a gift certificate for a free stay in the future, most have never used it, but we think that somethings are beyond your control.
As a matter of fact we had a noshow this past weekend and it was one of the busiest weekends in the area Bridge Day is when they close the New River Gorge Bridge so that people can walk on it, there is basejumping and all sorts of things going on. These people reserved two rooms, never called, we stayed up until wee hours on Friday night. Husband charged them for both rooms for two nights. We sent them the receipt with a letter and our policies again with two gift certtificates. They are most likely going to fight the charge, but thats a chance we are willing to take because we could have had both those rooms reserved.
So don't you worry, I would definantely charge it. We also try to make sure that we do the charge at check in unless its really late that way they can't say that they didn't know they where being charged, they signed it themsleves.

I'm sorry this happened to you also.
I'm a little confused too about if this guest actually completed the check-in process. I think you might have a hard time refuting the charges based on info from the Wise Ones here in the past. It's kind of a "she said, she said" situation. She booked over the phone so didn't have to check off a policies acceptance, she might have signed your book but no registration form agreeing to your policies (like no refund for early departure), and did she actually unload her things?
Tough spot......
Hi!
I've never signed a guest policy sheet, although we've stayed in about 20 bnbs. Maybe it isn't a Midwest thing. Never did in Europe or the West Coast, either. She did not unpack her things, which is not unusual.
remnjava said:
Hi!
I've never signed a guest policy sheet, although we've stayed in about 20 bnbs. Maybe it isn't a Midwest thing. Never did in Europe or the West Coast, either. She did not unpack her things, which is not unusual.
I thought a registration sheet on check in was required everywhere?
RIki

I'm a little confused too about if this guest actually completed the check-in process. I think you might have a hard time refuting the charges based on info from the Wise Ones here in the past. It's kind of a "she said, she said" situation. She booked over the phone so didn't have to check off a policies acceptance, she might have signed your book but no registration form agreeing to your policies (like no refund for early departure), and did she actually unload her things?
Tough spot......
Hi!
remnjava said:
Hi!
RIki
egoodell said:
remnjava said:
Hi!
RIki
I have never had one, nor ever signed one at a B&B except at a hotel when I handed them my card to swipe for incidentals.

Tough spot......
Hi!
remnjava said:
Hi!
RIki
Nope, I've never signed one at any of the B&B's I stayed at, and I don't require my guests to sign one either.

i am confused.
you gave her a tour. she left to have dinner and never returned.
was she, in fact, 'checked in?? signed the register? given a key? when would she get the key, when she came back? or did she get a key to her room?
if no key, no signature, it sounds like in her view (or her pretend view) she never actually checked in.
my guests paid a deposit at reservation and balance at check-in, so i am not experienced in this type of arrangement..
I'm waiting for cookies to cool for the present guests. LONG DAY!
She came, I gave tour, I had her sign the register book. I gave her the code to the front door, which she wrote down. She pressed me for a good place to have a steak. I'm not a steak eater, so I told her about 2 places in town that serve steak.
She never said anything negative until the next morning when she called. I've never been asked to sign a policy nor pay in advance, except one place here in the Midwest had me pay in advance. The folks in Europe want a copy of your passport.
C
Because she signed in and was given the code and your policies state you collect the balance on check OUT, she was officially a guest.
So, maybe it's time to look at the policy of collecting the balance on the way OUT the door. You've read all the pros and cons on here about why everyone does it the way they do it, at check in, at check out, etc. If this is the only time this has happened, it may never happen again and you can continue on your way doing things as you always have.
The first time we had a late arrival leave early (so they never paid) and their card bounced (3 nights' worth), we now charge the card for late arrivals before they get the keys to their room. If the card bounces, we wait up for them.

Tough spot......
Hi!
remnjava said:
Hi!
We have never gotten thru the door without having to sign and pay except one place in GA and one place in ME. All of our guests sign in on arrival. They agree to the charges for their stay, the length of their stay and our smoking policy.

Tough spot......
Hi!
remnjava said:
Hi!
RIki
Nope! It is up to each innkeeper how they want to run their business. We didn't have a registration form. I had their receipt printed up and that was what they got when they checked in, signed the guest book and paid.

Do not knuckle under!
#1 - if she knows about TA reviews she has pulled something similar before and knows TA puts terror in the hearts of innkeepers.
#2 - she told you she was going out for dinner, not that she was not staying
#3 - she shoots herself in the foot if she does go to TA because you can use that as proof she was actually there if she disputes the charge.
You met all of your obligations to her. The room was booked, ready and waiting, and she arrived (so it was not a no-show). No reversal of charge. If she could not give you an opportunity to even attempt to satisfy her displeasure, she has no standing. IMNVHO.
Thanks, Folks! You do my heart good. The "son of a gun" was that I had two calls yesterday, wondering if I had availability last night...
Smile.
If I'm not already on TA, can someone else create that listing?
I did have her sign the guest book as I do all guests, upon their arrival.
That is great. It shows that she was there. Keep the money.

Make sure you document everything, because eventually, should she really fight the charge, the credit card company will want some info from you. The better you can answer the questions, the more chance you have to win this fight. I speak from experience, I went through this twice and although I was told that the companies usually site with the consumer, I got to keep what was rightfully mine!

Tough spot......
Hi!
remnjava said:
Hi!
RIki
Nope! It is up to each innkeeper how they want to run their business. We didn't have a registration form. I had their receipt printed up and that was what they got when they checked in, signed the guest book and paid.
catlady said:
Ok, since my business is quite a bit different from all of yours...what, may I ask, is signing a guest book good for? Anecdotal or is it registering? I am confused
I don't know why, but we always required a registration form to be signed but never any policies. thanks in advance
teeth_smile.gif

birdwatcher, why did you send them a certificate for a stay when they actually cost you money by not cancelling. I assume - yeah dangerous- that you did not rent those rooms for the first night and may have a trouble renting them on Saturday, or not? In any case, you were out the money.
I do not give any kind of credit for early departures or cancellations or no shows.

I'll play devil's advocate here and ask why the difference in policy? It is the same end result...an empty room. We do not give gift certificates for any type of cancellation. If we are able to re-rent the room they get a refund, if we don't re-sell it they are responsible regardless of whether they cancelled at the last minute or 6 days out.

I'll play devil's advocate here and ask why the difference in policy? It is the same end result...an empty room. We do not give gift certificates for any type of cancellation. If we are able to re-rent the room they get a refund, if we don't re-sell it they are responsible regardless of whether they cancelled at the last minute or 6 days out..
InnsiderInfo said:
I'll play devil's advocate here and ask why the difference in policy?
I guess, because it's my place and I can if I want to. After 19 years in the hospitality business working for someone else, I love this business the most because it's mine and I can run it as I see fit. Sure, I could be a tightass all the time, but I wouldn't be as happy doing this, I would start to resent my guests, they would feel it, and things would go downhill from there.

I think I wouldn't do that until the cancellation has been filled again. I do not know why, I just never wanted to reward someones bad behavior. I am willing to bet that 99% of cancellations are bogus, much like "the dog ate my homework."
Now, this attitude may very well come back to bite me in the behind but after 15 years and mostly repeat guests, this has so far not been an issue. Of course if a guest that is familiar to me needs to cancel, that's a different matter all together.
As I blabb on here I have to remind myself that the B & B business is quite a bit different though and I need to stop posting in some threads
embaressed_smile.gif

I'll play devil's advocate here and ask why the difference in policy? It is the same end result...an empty room. We do not give gift certificates for any type of cancellation. If we are able to re-rent the room they get a refund, if we don't re-sell it they are responsible regardless of whether they cancelled at the last minute or 6 days out..
InnsiderInfo said:
I'll play devil's advocate here and ask why the difference in policy?
I guess, because it's my place and I can if I want to. After 19 years in the hospitality business working for someone else, I love this business the most because it's mine and I can run it as I see fit. Sure, I could be a tightass all the time, but I wouldn't be as happy doing this, I would start to resent my guests, they would feel it, and things would go downhill from there.
I just wondered what the difference was in your mind between canceling 6 days out and/or the day of or no showing?

I think I wouldn't do that until the cancellation has been filled again. I do not know why, I just never wanted to reward someones bad behavior. I am willing to bet that 99% of cancellations are bogus, much like "the dog ate my homework."
Now, this attitude may very well come back to bite me in the behind but after 15 years and mostly repeat guests, this has so far not been an issue. Of course if a guest that is familiar to me needs to cancel, that's a different matter all together.
As I blabb on here I have to remind myself that the B & B business is quite a bit different though and I need to stop posting in some threads
embaressed_smile.gif
IrisoftheWayfarer said:
I just never wanted to reward someones bad behavior.
This is our thought process as well, I dont' understand giving a GC to set the person up to cancel on you at the last minute again. If that makes me a tightass, well I've been called worse!

birdwatcher, why did you send them a certificate for a stay when they actually cost you money by not cancelling. I assume - yeah dangerous- that you did not rent those rooms for the first night and may have a trouble renting them on Saturday, or not? In any case, you were out the money.
I do not give any kind of credit for early departures or cancellations or no shows..
No-shows should get no refund, no gift certificate for a future stay, period. For me, late cancellations that are made 5 or 6 days out (sometimes less) may be another story. I may send a gift certificate for those, depending on who they are and how I feel about it.

embaressed_smile.gif
IrisoftheWayfarer said:
This is our thought process as well, I dont' understand giving a GC to set the person up to cancel on you at the last minute again. If that makes me a tightass, well I've been called worse!
Innsider, now I know that you know I didn't call you or anyone else a tightass. I was explaining my feelings on the subject, per your request.
For the record, I don't get but three or four cancellations a year, and of those, maybe one every two years is a late cancellation and I haven't had a now show in six years. Maybe this is why I'm more relaxed about it. If I had more than three rooms, or had tons of late cancellations, or a couple of no-shows, my feelings on the matter would no doubt be different.
As for the difference between a no show and a cancellation five days out...one doesn't bother to call, and the other one gives as much notice as they can manage under the circumstances, which gives me half a chance to resell the room.
Everyone runs their place differently; I would not deign to argue with any of you about your cancellation policies. I've seen all kinds of policies, and none are right or wrong, as long as they are right for the Innkeeper's peace of mind.

embaressed_smile.gif
IrisoftheWayfarer said:
Innsider, now I know that you know I didn't call you or anyone else a tightass. I was explaining my feelings on the subject, per your request.
For the record, I don't get but three or four cancellations a year, and of those, maybe one every two years is a late cancellation and I haven't had a now show in six years. Maybe this is why I'm more relaxed about it. If I had more than three rooms, or had tons of late cancellations, or a couple of no-shows, my feelings on the matter would no doubt be different.
As for the difference between a no show and a cancellation five days out...one doesn't bother to call, and the other one gives as much notice as they can manage under the circumstances, which gives me half a chance to resell the room.
Everyone runs their place differently; I would not deign to argue with any of you about your cancellation policies. I've seen all kinds of policies, and none are right or wrong, as long as they are right for the Innkeeper's peace of mind.
Little Blue said:
For the record, I don't get but three or four cancellations a year, and of those, maybe one every two years is a late cancellation and I haven't had a now show in six years. Maybe this is why I'm more relaxed about it. If I had more than three rooms, or had tons of late cancellations, or a couple of no-shows, maybe my personal feelings on the matter would be different.
As for the difference between a no show and a cancellation five days out...one didn't even bother to call you, and the other one gave me as much notice as they could manage under the circumstances, giving me at least half a chance to resell the room.
Everyone runs their place differently, and I would not deign to argue with any of you about your cancellation policies. I've seen all kinds of policies, and none are right or wrong, as long as they are right for the Innkeeper.
Relax, relax! I know you didn't! I was trying to be funny (emphasis on trying...)
When it comes to running this ship I definitely HAVE to be tight...we won't make the bills if I don't. I think from previous threads that most on here WILL give some kind of GC if they charge someone for a last minute cancellation, so I was just trying to understand what the difference was. I get it, and it's subjective, you are saying it's your call, and maybe you can sort of get a feel for if Grandma really did die or if the weather is just supposed to be bad this weekend.
In our neck of the woods, Grandma dies an awful lot. Just the way it is, so we stick to the cancellation policy to the letter.

Tough spot......
Hi!
remnjava said:
Hi!
RIki
catlady said:
Ok, since my business is quite a bit different from all of yours...what, may I ask, is signing a guest book good for? Anecdotal or is it registering? I am confused
I don't know why, but we always required a registration form to be signed but never any policies. thanks in advance
teeth_smile.gif

I am asked when inspected by my Association if I have a Guest Register. I have always had one - statted it jut to see where pwoplw came from. Many repeats, especially if it has been a while, will go to the book to see when they were here last and usually end up saying, has it been THAT long??? Time does fly! Mine is like a guest book for an event. And I put it on the table at breakast to get it signed.

Tough spot......
Hi!
remnjava said:
Hi!
RIki
catlady said:
teeth_smile.gif

I am asked when inspected by my Association if I have a Guest Register. I have always had one - statted it jut to see where pwoplw came from. Many repeats, especially if it has been a while, will go to the book to see when they were here last and usually end up saying, has it been THAT long??? Time does fly! Mine is like a guest book for an event. And I put it on the table at breakast to get it signed.
gillumhouse said:
Highjack alert...how does anyone feel about having your info available for anyone subsequently checking in to see? I am totally surprised when guests write in our guest books and enter their name, address & email, sometimes phone number. Do they think I'm the only person who sees that? I HAVE that info, why they put it in the book, I don't know.
A simple 'Bob & Mary, Timbuktu' would suffice.

Back