USA TODAY Travel Article: Do you regularly turn off lights, TV in your hotel room?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought the topic of this thread was about saving energy. I feel like someone pulled a gun and said "Take this this thread to Havana".

I thought the topic of this thread was about saving energy. I feel like someone pulled a gun and said "Take this this thread to Havana"..
Proud Texan said:
I feel like someone pulled a gun and said "Take this this thread to Havana".
Speaking of thread, do many of you include a sewing "vanity kit" in your bathroom amenities?
wink_smile.gif

(hijacking the hijacking)

Although no one has ever said those words why else would they walk out and leave everything running other than they paid for it? I think it's irresponsible but we've been here long enough to know there are an awful lot of people out there who have never heard the expression: Use it up, wear it out, make do or do without.
Just the things I see thrown in the trash here make me understand the attitude to just throw it out is pretty pervasive.
We joke with guests that we return all the bottles and cans they leave behind for our weekly 'coffee money at Starbucks'. A lot of times we hear back, 'You get money for those bottles? You have to take them back to the store? I wouldn't do that, what a waste of time.'.
Madeleine said:
We joke with guests that we return all the bottles and cans they leave behind for our weekly 'coffee money at Starbucks'. A lot of times we hear back, 'You get money for those bottles? You have to take them back to the store? I wouldn't do that, what a waste of time.'
I grew up in a state that did that. I currently live in a state that doesn't. I can honestly say that I'd rather be living in a state that does the returnables for money. If I am going to be making a trip in to town to take back my recycleables, I'd MUCH rather get 'paid' for it!

Although no one has ever said those words why else would they walk out and leave everything running other than they paid for it? I think it's irresponsible but we've been here long enough to know there are an awful lot of people out there who have never heard the expression: Use it up, wear it out, make do or do without.
Just the things I see thrown in the trash here make me understand the attitude to just throw it out is pretty pervasive.
We joke with guests that we return all the bottles and cans they leave behind for our weekly 'coffee money at Starbucks'. A lot of times we hear back, 'You get money for those bottles? You have to take them back to the store? I wouldn't do that, what a waste of time.'.
Madeleine said:
We joke with guests that we return all the bottles and cans they leave behind for our weekly 'coffee money at Starbucks'. A lot of times we hear back, 'You get money for those bottles? You have to take them back to the store? I wouldn't do that, what a waste of time.'
I grew up in a state that did that. I currently live in a state that doesn't. I can honestly say that I'd rather be living in a state that does the returnables for money. If I am going to be making a trip in to town to take back my recycleables, I'd MUCH rather get 'paid' for it!
Penelope said:
Madeleine said:
Returning Coke bottles for the 2 cent deposit was how I supplemented my allowance when I was kid. They would take beer bottles too, but we were Southern Baptist and my mother wouldn't let me collect those. I must have had sense of business back then because I remember thinking "Mom, cash is cash!"
I did meet a fellow once who went on a European vacation paid for by aluminum cans he collected on his daily walk.

Madeleine said:
Penelope said:
Madeleine said:
as a kid that was pocket money!
I won't even go on about our recycling here, since there is NONE. We have to travel to a nearby city to recycle. We came from Seattle area where it was extreme, one can in your garbage and a $50 fine. Now I feel terrible with all the waste, and no one recycles glass, only plastic! I went ballistic about it.

Madeleine said:
Penelope said:
Madeleine said:
Returning Coke bottles for the 2 cent deposit was how I supplemented my allowance when I was kid. They would take beer bottles too, but we were Southern Baptist and my mother wouldn't let me collect those. I must have had sense of business back then because I remember thinking "Mom, cash is cash!"
I did meet a fellow once who went on a European vacation paid for by aluminum cans he collected on his daily walk.
PT remember how much bikes were in those days, it was a big deal to get a bike, that was what my bottle money went toward, and you had to work hard to get it!

Madeleine said:
Penelope said:
Madeleine said:
PT remember how much bikes were in those days, it was a big deal to get a bike, that was what my bottle money went toward, and you had to work hard to get it!
To this day I rarely drink soda pop because we could not afford it - we rarely had it. The husband of one of Daddy's "buttonhole" cousins died (they lived in town) and we took them some stuff because they had a bunch of kids. On the back porch were cases of pop bottles (many with pop in them) - Mom & I looked at each other, she arched an eyebrow and nothing more was said. We did not collect bottles because no one we knew culd afford to toss them - IF they had them in the first place.

This is what a hijack is all about...now onto "spoiled kids of today" who are lazy and handed everything...report. Mother and daughter here, I make a beautiful breakfast today, the daughter stabs it with her fork, she is 15. She takes a nibble off one side (and seriousely, I make a variety of food, things teenagers would like, nothing with mushrooms and things many hate). She says, and I quote "I am not a morning person" it is 925am.
Now, you know me by now, you know I am a drill sergeant. Would MY CHILDREN be able to say that to an adult? Especially with me present? Uh, don't think so!!
This is why we don't do kids here. Little kids - annoying, tweens - annoying, teens - annoying. As they say in the south "Your Daddy is going to wear you out for speaking to someone like that!"

This is what a hijack is all about...now onto "spoiled kids of today" who are lazy and handed everything...report. Mother and daughter here, I make a beautiful breakfast today, the daughter stabs it with her fork, she is 15. She takes a nibble off one side (and seriousely, I make a variety of food, things teenagers would like, nothing with mushrooms and things many hate). She says, and I quote "I am not a morning person" it is 925am.
Now, you know me by now, you know I am a drill sergeant. Would MY CHILDREN be able to say that to an adult? Especially with me present? Uh, don't think so!!
This is why we don't do kids here. Little kids - annoying, tweens - annoying, teens - annoying. As they say in the south "Your Daddy is going to wear you out for speaking to someone like that!".
The M/D combo I had the hardest time with (as in holding my water) was a 21 year old going to a horse competition that Mama was paying the freight for and she talked to Mama in such a way that MY kids would have been picking their face up off the floor for - except MY kids KNEW better than to talk to me that way.l

Madeleine said:
Penelope said:
Madeleine said:
Proud Texan said:
Penelope said:
Madeleine said:
Our state's return was 10 cents. I remember when I first got my driver's license, that's how I would fill my tank with gas. Collect pop bottles (we weren't Southern Baptist, but still had very few beer cans to turn in) and use the money at the gas pump....ahhhh- those were the days :)

A room decided to lock the front door (remember we have the door key pad which means IT IS ALWAYS LOCKED) and so they double bolted the door and put the chain across. Of course we have other rooms here, three tonight. Isn't that just so sweet. Yeah common sense, where is that thread? Because they see no other car they take it upon themselves to lock up tight. No other cars because they are OUT RIGHT NOW!
If I say something then I will be the bad guy. I will be the overbearing innkeeper. You locked people out you maroons!.
Yep, that's why we had to use the label maker to say "Do NOT lock this deadbolt!" below the original one.
Arkie, the extra deadbolt is often used when the inn is closed or innkeepers are away and when no guests are in the house. Extra security, as they say, since we live here too.

I know it is habit, esp those in cities. My cousin from Modesto locked everything all the time, locked themselves out of their room, it is just habit. I remember when I moved to Australia and we went into a shop and I locked the vehicle. What are you doing? I was telling my daughters about the time I was behind the armed robber when I went in to pay for gas (they didn't have pay at the pump then!) and I just stood there acted like I didn't notice, I had no choice. CITY LIFE.
I know what you mean. We never lock cars here and a lot of the time the front door is unlocked. We lock everything up at night in the inn. What really annoys me is the car alarm beeps from the guests. Some of them lock it (chirp) when they get out to check in, then 5-10 minutes later chirp...get their luggage...chirp...come back in...chirp...get something else in their car. Except for a 'neighbor' 1/4 mile away, there's nothing around here for miles! Who's going to steal their stuff??? All it does is disturb my peace and interfers with all the real birds chirping. I wasn't even that obsessive about locking my car in Los Angeles!.
Well, they broke into my car last night and went through it looking for anything electronic. Found nothing. You live in the city, you get used to checking that it's locked.
That stinks, Eric! We also live downtown and my car and my son's car were broken into several years ago while sitting in our driveway behind our house. Didn't even wake us up. He has a Jeep and I have a small SUV, both with consoles - they were looking for cash, nothing else was taken except about $10 in change from his vehicle. Cost me the deductibles to have both front passenger car windows replaced. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!
Fortunately, we never had any problem with guest vehicles, although another B&B did.
We now have a sliding gate across our driveway that locks, for whatever it's worth. It provides more privacy, too.

I go spare where I am because there is no domestic recycling at all in our section of town and none anywhere for businesses so if I want to recycle anything I have to get the car out bag it all up separately and go to the tip (also no where in the uk pays you
sad_smile.gif
) in Brighton they had a recycling box thing pretty much at the end of the street so you could just pop it in as you went past. I save my cereal boxes, jars and middle of the kitchen rolls for a friend who gives them to her nursary school to do box moddling, egg boxes go to people who have hens, papers go to my mum who has domestic recyling and will take them. no plastic recycling at all its completely rubbish (ironically)

This is why we don't do kids here. Little kids - annoying, tweens - annoying, teens - annoying. As they say in the south "Your Daddy is going to wear you out for speaking to someone like that!".
At her age I would not have said that to you, but I probably wouldn't have eaten, either. I am not a morning person. At age 15 that meant sleeping as late as possible- 11, noon.

We have to recycle - paper, bio and "grey waste (at soem cities plastics) is collected at home for households, you have to drop off glass, toxic materials (oil, chemicals, drugs) cloths at certain locations etc. If you have something big you can go to the depot, there you to seprate your waste, over 15 containers. (glass, stone, wood, pvc, metal, electr appliances, roofing etc etc.......).

This thread is as frayed of a thread as I can recall lately.
poke.gif

Original post - that brings me back to our thread about the card activated outlets in some Euro hotels. SMART!
JB - people are idiots, only thinking about themselves. That goes to the couple that locked others out as well as the unparented teen.
Eric - Sorry your car was vandelized hope nothing was damaged.
Recycling bottles/cans... I recall reading in the local newspaper about a guy that was collecting cans for recycling. He was on disability and went around pulling cans out of the trash. His back yard was filled with cans - some mounds were up to the top of the wooden fence (6').

This thread is as frayed of a thread as I can recall lately.
poke.gif

Original post - that brings me back to our thread about the card activated outlets in some Euro hotels. SMART!
JB - people are idiots, only thinking about themselves. That goes to the couple that locked others out as well as the unparented teen.
Eric - Sorry your car was vandelized hope nothing was damaged.
Recycling bottles/cans... I recall reading in the local newspaper about a guy that was collecting cans for recycling. He was on disability and went around pulling cans out of the trash. His back yard was filled with cans - some mounds were up to the top of the wooden fence (6')..
copperhead said:
"Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it." Hebrews 13:2
Yeah, and how many of those are devils, also known as PITAs?

Back