Vaccinated Guest or Non-Vaccinated Guests?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SS and Morticia - you both have had a lot to handle in the last couple years. So terribly sorry that there is nothing that can be said or done to have helped you through it. Hugs is the only thing I can offer.

Morticia, that ordeal sounds horrible. I’m so sorry.

yeah, it stunk. however, being the people we are we have made good use of the stories to amuse our friends. the usps guy who delivered the urn to us in a box with about 27 labels that said ‘cremated remains’? Priceless.

Each innkeeper has to decide what THEY are comfortable with. I have not and will not inquire about shots. It is, as far as I am concerned, not my business. Supposedly, those who have had the shot are protected. If you are protected, whether anyone else is or not does not matter - you have taken care of YOU. You are your responsibility and everyone else is responsible for themselves.

It really depends on where you live, the applicable laws and what your insurance carrier has as a policy.

But gillumhouse gives excellent advice. Stay out of other people's medical backgrounds, it could cause you more trouble than the information you get by asking.

We have been warned by our insurer that we may not ask for vaccine information in Virginia because asking ANY medical information is considered a violation of their civil rights and we are not covered for any losses if they do sue us and win. If we win they will not cover legal fees. Virginia Health Department Guidelines currently gives us a little poster that says "Masks are required for unvaccinated patrons". Our insurer said we put that on all entrances and that covers us legally. Other than, because of medical privacy laws, that we should have no interactions with guests that can be construed as asking them for medical information and if we were to ask for proof of vaccine our policy is terminated.

Since everyone in my household has had Covid AND had the vaccine, there is no danger to us. A couple of months ago people used to volunteer the info in the parking lot before going in, now no one says a word about it. So at this point, especially with the vaccine available at the Wegmans by walking up to the counter with no appointment, I have to think if anyone shows up that isn't vaccinated that the only people they are endangering is themselves.

Our pre-arrival message says masks are optional. Majority of our guests are from lower 48 and once they see we are mask less theirs come off never to be seen again.

You were in my neck of the woods! Astoria and Clatsop County...Did you have any favorite places you visited in the area? I always ask so I know what is currently popular with guests.
We were on the American Cruise Lines ship, so pretty much confined to their bus and the ship. We enjoyed the Columbia River Maritime Museum, which was right beside where we docked, but otherwise were bused through town to Ft. Clatsop and Cape Disappointment State Park. Didn't really get out into the town, but we want to go back someday and spend more time.

The ship's crew kept suggesting we walk across the street to Bowpicker Fish and Chips, but we were there on Memorial Day and it was closed.

As we venture into the new season after lock-down in Ontario Canada, I am suddenly faced with a new dilemma. I am now taking bookings for the 2021 B & B Summer season and most of my booking guests are volunteering up information on their vaccine doses. I myself have already had one dose and my second one is scheduled in the coming months.

What is the general consensus on taking in guests that have not been vaccinated? or not planning to be vaccinated by the time they arrive etc.? Are hosts requesting proof of vaccinations?

Is this going to become a part of our B & B policies?
The new policy requires all guests staying at a hotel or visiting hotel bars and restaurants to show proof of vaccination upon arrival.

In my jurisdiction, I am NOT allowed to ask vaccination status, nor do I want to. The government mandates wearing a mask in public spaces and therefore they must be worn in the house, outside of the guest rooms. We were told by the hotel association to not argue with people, just remind them once and if they don't comply, to simply call the police and let them handle it.

But, the government mandated rules for eating require us to check vaccination certificates to eat in the dining room or outside. You aren't required to show it to us, if you want to take breakfast away. So on the first morning, you can either show us a certificate, or we provide a breakfast in a meal prep container that you can take to your room and eat there.

What drives me crazy is that my wasted food has increased and so has the garbage, because we have to use individual butter, etc. The rules changed in November again and I don't have to limit capacity at the table anymore, but I'm supposed to keep space between guests, which we do. No lucite barriers (but they are silly, because they don't work.... it's airborne, we all know it. Neither do face shields work, only masking.)

We have only had one anti-vax person and this was before the vaccination passport mandate. They understood the mask mandate and wore it in public (when we present, at least). We had them eat on the patio at the time, but today, they would have no choice but to eat in their room.

In my jurisdiction, I am NOT allowed to ask vaccination status, nor do I want to. The government mandates wearing a mask in public spaces and therefore they must be worn in the house, outside of the guest rooms. We were told by the hotel association to not argue with people, just remind them once and if they don't comply, to simply call the police and let them handle it.

But, the government mandated rules for eating require us to check vaccination certificates to eat in the dining room or outside. You aren't required to show it to us, if you want to take breakfast away. So on the first morning, you can either show us a certificate, or we provide a breakfast in a meal prep container that you can take to your room and eat there.

What drives me crazy is that my wasted food has increased and so has the garbage, because we have to use individual butter, etc. The rules changed in November again and I don't have to limit capacity at the table anymore, but I'm supposed to keep space between guests, which we do. No lucite barriers (but they are silly, because they don't work.... it's airborne, we all know it. Neither do face shields work, only masking.)

We have only had one anti-vax person and this was before the vaccination passport mandate. They understood the mask mandate and wore it in public (when we present, at least). We had them eat on the patio at the time, but today, they would have no choice but to eat in their room.
Sorry, but what a load of crap

After almost 2 years of do this and it will keep you safe, then well you need this too, then get this and do that, and another back-pedal when that proves to be false - I am Covided-out! Every newscast, every newspaper every day, restricted entry - we have moved backward in the name of "being safe". the only place one can be "safe" is if they live in a bubble. I am not afraid to LIVE and since I AM going to die (sooner rather than later by age) I am also not afraid to die. There will not be many who will miss me and it will probably not take much longer than 5 minutes to replace me. THAT is as it should be! We truly need to just start living again. Just my opinion.

After almost 2 years of do this and it will keep you safe, then well you need this too, then get this and do that, and another back-pedal when that proves to be false - I am Covided-out! Every newscast, every newspaper every day, restricted entry - we have moved backward in the name of "being safe". the only place one can be "safe" is if they live in a bubble. I am not afraid to LIVE and since I AM going to die (sooner rather than later by age) I am also not afraid to die. There will not be many who will miss me and it will probably not take much longer than 5 minutes to replace me. THAT is as it should be! We truly need to just start living again. Just my opinion.
I think we’re all just a little bit ‘done’ with the pandemic. It’s obvious it’s not going away. So, yes, we’re at the point where we have to ‘live with it.’ I moved to an area that doesn’t care if they get sick or I get sick so I have to be more careful than if I was still where I lived earlier this year.

Every small mom & pop shop in town has been closed for a week or more at some point in the past three months because one or both of the owners has ended up either a little sick or in the hospital. We haven’t been able to get our car fixed because the service technicians all got sick and they had to shut down the garage. Pretty soon everyone will have either gotten sick or gotten vaccinated. Then we’ll be ok.

We go out to eat but not around here. I go shopping but only with a mask on and only if it’s not busy. If the parking lot is full I go home. We’re going to a Christmas party next week, but they will have an outside option for those of us who are still shy.

Yes, I’m gonna die, sooner rather than later, but I’d rather go out in a blaze of glory. 😁

Back