Waiting game -dietary restrictions at a B&B-

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know you guys warned us, but guest this morning had her boyfriend email us in advance to let us know she was diabetic. We make a special run to the store to get Splenda and sugar-free everything. She just poked at her breakfast and said all she really needs is a cigarette and coffee in the morning. Would have been nice to know..
She just poked at her breakfast and said all she really needs is a cigarette and coffee in the morning. Would have been nice to know.
You needed to have the regular breakfast there regardless to show what you do. Otherwise she would go back and tell eveyone all she was offered for breakfast was coffee.
Most of us keep the pink, blue, and yellow packets in stock because they each have their own set of advocates - and not just diabetic (I am on a diet...) I also use Stevia as a sweetener for my muffins for the sugar-free folks (and that can be a lifestyle as well as a dietary). It is an herb that is 300 times sweeter than sugar. It truly is "a little dab 'll do ya".
We also have sugar in the raw. THAT goes quickly. The pink stuff I have JUST bought a new box of after inheriting the 1000 pk from the PO's 4 years ago. Not that popular anymore. Raw-regular-yellow-blue-pink, in case anyone wonders what gets used the most.
That is also the order of preference here for sweeteners, although raw & regular sugar are probably tied in first place. I definitely buy more of the yellow stuff than any of the other fake sweeteners. Also, have honey and now the blue agave sweetener. Stevia is difficult to find here, so I'm not going there.

Shoot me for trying to accommodate a gluten-free and vegetarian in the same family. They discussed with hubs what they were going to eat and he told me it was eggs + sausage (soy & regular). They come to breakfast, I mention their discussion and say, 'Eggs all around. But who wants the soy sausage?'
Suddenly, one of them is having waffles but they can't be cooked in the same pan as regular waffles. One is having the eggs PLUS the regular breakfast and the other says FT and then changes to regular toast. Holy cow. Well, I got it wrong and one had to wait while her special breakfast was prepared.
Of course, the next table said, 'Just give us whatever you're making, we'll eat all of it.' They were rolling their eyes at the other table.
Not complaining as we offered. But next time we write it down when they check-in and I just show them what they said. This was a contact gluten allergy so every utensil had to be clean and not used anywhere near any 'bread'.

I know you guys warned us, but guest this morning had her boyfriend email us in advance to let us know she was diabetic. We make a special run to the store to get Splenda and sugar-free everything. She just poked at her breakfast and said all she really needs is a cigarette and coffee in the morning. Would have been nice to know..
Refined carbs such as white flour are far worse than a spoon of sugar. Having a nice eggy breakfast would be great! Pancakes and muffins - sugar subbed or not - are a poor choice.
I've seen too many diabetics who do not understand their illness, what contributes to it, how to really control it. They cheat and that's sad because they are only hurting themselves.
There was an interesting study done on an isolated First Nations community close to me. The people were suffering from obesity and the resulting diabetes and high blood pressure. They went on an "almost Atkins" type diet which would closely resemble they way they ate before European contact. No sweets, no potatoes, rice, wheat, etc. Within one week some were off their blood pressure meds and insulin needs were reduced. During the year EVERY PERSON who was insulin dependent were controlling their diabetes through diet. Ditto the high blood pressure. The weight loss for the community was huge. It was so amazing to see these people get back their health, energy and zest for life.

Refined carbs such as white flour are far worse than a spoon of sugar. Having a nice eggy breakfast would be great! Pancakes and muffins - sugar subbed or not - are a poor choice.
I've seen too many diabetics who do not understand their illness, what contributes to it, how to really control it. They cheat and that's sad because they are only hurting themselves.
There was an interesting study done on an isolated First Nations community close to me. The people were suffering from obesity and the resulting diabetes and high blood pressure. They went on an "almost Atkins" type diet which would closely resemble they way they ate before European contact. No sweets, no potatoes, rice, wheat, etc. Within one week some were off their blood pressure meds and insulin needs were reduced. During the year EVERY PERSON who was insulin dependent were controlling their diabetes through diet. Ditto the high blood pressure. The weight loss for the community was huge. It was so amazing to see these people get back their health, energy and zest for life.
ginocat said:
Did you post that article before? I remember reading this somewhere.

ginocat said:
Did you post that article before? I remember reading this somewhere.
I don't think I posted it.You might have seen it on some news or health article in paper or something? It was really interesting ... and amazing!

Back