"We love your website!"

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
"And your blog! You have the best info! Do you have some suggestions for where we should visit to do these things (list) when we come next week?"
OK, this ain't my first rodeo. Is this happy, happy person our guest? No. Are they staying somewhere else? Yes. Am I supplying them with more info, as in actually looking stuff up for them? No.
If you love my stuff why are you not staying here? And if you're staying elsewhere why don't you ask them?

Yeah, we get folks calling us to ask questions all the time. They have no intention of booking. I tell them right up front that the person they are staying with will be the best source of information for where to go and eat etc. Otherwise they keep me on the phone as their personal concierge!

Not staying with you but asking for concierge help? Ummmmmmmm, no ma'am..
A least this was an email. It's when they call that I have to bite my tongue. I always ask what dates are they staying so I can find festivals they might like. And that's when the hemming and hawing begins.

Maybe just my strange way of looking at things or I don't have enough to do, but I sort of see that sort of request as a sales opportunity for the future, not saying to going to spend hours doing research, but if I know the answers a friendly reply may make me a sale down the road.

Had one of those the other night. Mine was asking where to stay as he doesn't know the city well.

Why not here? Because he would have to rent a car as I am out of the city.

So where should he look? I gave him 2 sections and said that those areas are the only areas I would stay. He said they were too expensive. Where else?
No I am not going to hold your hand! Told him to pull up Google maps and go from there.

I had to literately hang up on the guy as no closing was working with him.

Maybe just my strange way of looking at things or I don't have enough to do, but I sort of see that sort of request as a sales opportunity for the future, not saying to going to spend hours doing research, but if I know the answers a friendly reply may make me a sale down the road..
JimBoone said:
Maybe just my strange way of looking at things or I don't have enough to do, but I sort of see that sort of request as a sales opportunity for the future, not saying to going to spend hours doing research, but if I know the answers a friendly reply may make me a sale down the road.
No, Jim, this kind of person will never stay with her. They want her free information - they will probably be camping or staying with friends. IF they read her blog, she has already told them enough to keep them busy for a month.

"Sorry, please ask for personal help from the state tourism board. We run a B&B and reserve our concierge help for our paying customers. Or maybe your B&B owner can help you."

My guests from Saturday (1 night) asked for ALL my Covered Bridge tour routes as they were leaving. I will probably "forget" to send them. They were descendants of the log house and I took them there (spent an hour there) and I do believe that is enough for a one night stay. I look at that as proprietary information. They can always look at a map and do it - mine is turn-by-turn, using my paper and my ink but even if I e-mail it, it was done on MY time and gas.

The 'noive'!.
Breakfast Diva said:
The 'noive'!
confused_smile.gif

My guests from Saturday (1 night) asked for ALL my Covered Bridge tour routes as they were leaving. I will probably "forget" to send them. They were descendants of the log house and I took them there (spent an hour there) and I do believe that is enough for a one night stay. I look at that as proprietary information. They can always look at a map and do it - mine is turn-by-turn, using my paper and my ink but even if I e-mail it, it was done on MY time and gas..
Imagine all the knowledge that I have on restaurants in this city. I can name hundreds and know which ones suit people and which ones don't. I can name stores, neighbourhoods and even give them a list of places to go. I'm not giving that away.... I'm not even blogging about it, because that would give away the proprietary information that is in my head.
Just to give an idea, the restaurant with the best world ranking isn't even in the top 50 on TA. And restaurant 3 on their list is a restaurant that is more about the show than about the food. But how are you going to learn that from TA? Number 27 on the list... a restaurant for people who think we are Paris from the 1950s. Number 54 makes a variation on a local dish that is so filling, the last guests we sent there ordered a sandwich, couldn't eat it and brought it back to give to us to say thanks.
And when people go to see the number 1 attraction in the city, I send them across the street to peek in at number 139 which most people just walk right by, because how often do you get to see a 168 year old building based on a building in Scotland that still functioning in it's original purpose.
It's what is in our heads that people pay for... we need to remember that's part of the proprietary nature of what we sell.

Maybe just my strange way of looking at things or I don't have enough to do, but I sort of see that sort of request as a sales opportunity for the future, not saying to going to spend hours doing research, but if I know the answers a friendly reply may make me a sale down the road..
JimBoone said:
Absolutely. I do this all the time as I've mentioned when it's come up before. But, when someone has been to my website, has used all of the resources I posted and then goes on to reserve for next week at another property, why should I help anymore than I have? (They specifically stated they had made their reservations, so not in the planning stages.) The resources on my website are free and many. You want the inside scoop or specialty info? You pay me for that.

My guests from Saturday (1 night) asked for ALL my Covered Bridge tour routes as they were leaving. I will probably "forget" to send them. They were descendants of the log house and I took them there (spent an hour there) and I do believe that is enough for a one night stay. I look at that as proprietary information. They can always look at a map and do it - mine is turn-by-turn, using my paper and my ink but even if I e-mail it, it was done on MY time and gas..
Imagine all the knowledge that I have on restaurants in this city. I can name hundreds and know which ones suit people and which ones don't. I can name stores, neighbourhoods and even give them a list of places to go. I'm not giving that away.... I'm not even blogging about it, because that would give away the proprietary information that is in my head.
Just to give an idea, the restaurant with the best world ranking isn't even in the top 50 on TA. And restaurant 3 on their list is a restaurant that is more about the show than about the food. But how are you going to learn that from TA? Number 27 on the list... a restaurant for people who think we are Paris from the 1950s. Number 54 makes a variation on a local dish that is so filling, the last guests we sent there ordered a sandwich, couldn't eat it and brought it back to give to us to say thanks.
And when people go to see the number 1 attraction in the city, I send them across the street to peek in at number 139 which most people just walk right by, because how often do you get to see a 168 year old building based on a building in Scotland that still functioning in it's original purpose.
It's what is in our heads that people pay for... we need to remember that's part of the proprietary nature of what we sell.
Speaking of top-rated TA attractions - guests took over an hour to consult TA for one thing they wanted to do today. Back and forth, 'Well, look at what this one says about that...' For the love of Mike, just go! Enjoy yourselves! Don't base your LIFE on what someone else has said is good or bad. (I figure by the time they were done looking at reviews, the attraction was full up for the day anyway!)

All very true. That is why I had no interest in relocating when several people here wanted me to buy their inn. I know eastern PA - why would I relocate and lose many years of knowledge and contacts?

Speaking of top-rated TA attractions - guests took over an hour to consult TA for one thing they wanted to do today. Back and forth, 'Well, look at what this one says about that...' For the love of Mike, just go! Enjoy yourselves! Don't base your LIFE on what someone else has said is good or bad. (I figure by the time they were done looking at reviews, the attraction was full up for the day anyway!)
I will look at reviews, but just for a few minutes. Wife is watching movie today (while I work). Spent 7 minutes checking rotten toma toes . com for movie ratings of what was at the theatre. Worthwhile for a 2.5 hour movie. But spend an hour? For heaven sakes, that is what the innkeeper is for...

All very true. That is why I had no interest in relocating when several people here wanted me to buy their inn. I know eastern PA - why would I relocate and lose many years of knowledge and contacts?
undersea said:
We thought the same thing. Then we found a place 275 miles and 3 states away and we were up and running 2 days after the closing without even knowing where the grocery store was. It can be done. It's very stressful, but it can be done. And now, 10 years later, guests ask if I'm from here because I know a fair amount about the area. (I do not SOUND like I'm from here, but not everyone is good at accents.)
We figured if we stayed in the state we'd lived in for 25 years we'd be that much further ahead in knowledge of the area. Our kids grew up there, we went on all the field trips, we KNEW the touristy stuff. But, looking at the touristy stuff from the hospitality side was an eye opener. (And it still is. Looking at the websites of some of the properties we looked at TWELVE years ago they are still charging the same rates. Ouch.)
What you want to find is a place where the other properties are doing well and are welcoming to other new innkeepers. Kind of like us here on the forum. ;-) If you can find a community like that near where you want to be you'll be golden.
Not to say you shouldn't stick with a place you know, because it's a lot easier that way especially when you want to do more than the B&B part. You've got all your licensing in your home state, your other businesses, etc. There are some folks on here in your state who do very nicely for themselves. But your area, if you're saying the Poconos is where you are looking, is a tough area. It's known far and wide as a 'cheap & cheesy' 'romantic' getaway. You've got a lot of bad publicity to get over. But a HUGE market is within a short drive to there so keep looking.

undersea said:
We thought the same thing. Then we found a place 275 miles and 3 states away and we were up and running 2 days after the closing without even knowing where the grocery store was. It can be done. It's very stressful, but it can be done. And now, 10 years later, guests ask if I'm from here because I know a fair amount about the area. (I do not SOUND like I'm from here, but not everyone is good at accents.)
We figured if we stayed in the state we'd lived in for 25 years we'd be that much further ahead in knowledge of the area. Our kids grew up there, we went on all the field trips, we KNEW the touristy stuff. But, looking at the touristy stuff from the hospitality side was an eye opener. (And it still is. Looking at the websites of some of the properties we looked at TWELVE years ago they are still charging the same rates. Ouch.)
What you want to find is a place where the other properties are doing well and are welcoming to other new innkeepers. Kind of like us here on the forum. ;-) If you can find a community like that near where you want to be you'll be golden.
Not to say you shouldn't stick with a place you know, because it's a lot easier that way especially when you want to do more than the B&B part. You've got all your licensing in your home state, your other businesses, etc. There are some folks on here in your state who do very nicely for themselves. But your area, if you're saying the Poconos is where you are looking, is a tough area. It's known far and wide as a 'cheap & cheesy' 'romantic' getaway. You've got a lot of bad publicity to get over. But a HUGE market is within a short drive to there so keep looking.
That plus this is where I work
lightbulb.gif

undersea said:
I knew my area of West Virginia fairly well from growing up there and about the State from WV History. However that was several (OK many) decades ago - and things changed. I did keep up with my home area with visits.
Perhaps the reason I know my current area so well is BECAUSE I am an alien. We took drives to find places to send guests and to learn our way around the area. WE spotted things that locals never thought of - because they were used to seeing it and never thought it worth mentioning - a la the Swiger Family Museum I have on a Bridge Tour as an FYI. I knew the Elgin, Illinois area better than any of the desk clerks at the hotel I worked at - because I had to learn the new area. (And in WV, an alien is anyone who did not grow up in your County with at least 4 generations of family)

If they were on the phone and not staying with me....I would tell them politely I am busy, talk to your own innkeeper or call the chamber of commerce....or uh...somehow we got disconnected...
devil_smile.gif

Back