"We love your website!"

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Years ago I learned how to hang up on someone. You break the connection while YOU are in mid-sentence because of course nobody would ever hang up on themself.

Years ago I learned how to hang up on someone. You break the connection while YOU are in mid-sentence because of course nobody would ever hang up on themself..
Dang you are good. I learn the best things from

Years ago I learned how to hang up on someone. You break the connection while YOU are in mid-sentence because of course nobody would ever hang up on themself..
Dang you are good. I learn the best things from
devil_smile.gif

Arks said:
Years ago I learned how to hang up on someone. You break the connection while YOU are in mid-sentence because of course nobody would ever hang up on themself.
You rascally devil! That's a great tip.

That is why the machine will answer, and will quickly call back those who I want. All others get deleted. (There will be a couple options first for self serve, like direx/address, booking online represents a discount, etc

Maybe just my strange way of looking at things or I don't have enough to do, but I sort of see that sort of request as a sales opportunity for the future, not saying to going to spend hours doing research, but if I know the answers a friendly reply may make me a sale down the road..
JimBoone said:
Maybe just my strange way of looking at things or I don't have enough to do, but I sort of see that sort of request as a sales opportunity for the future, not saying to going to spend hours doing research, but if I know the answers a friendly reply may make me a sale down the road.
No, Jim, this kind of person will never stay with her. They want her free information - they will probably be camping or staying with friends. IF they read her blog, she has already told them enough to keep them busy for a month.
I wouldn't attempt to tell anyone my approach was the only one or a correct one, only sharing that it fits me.
If a guest comes to my area and likes the visit maybe they will return and I have another chance to have them as a customer. Even if they are never a guest with us they are taking up a room in the area and maybe someone else looking for a room will stay with me.
Now I admit I don't have any special inside information on the area and we are just one little property, all I really have to sell is me, I enjoy helping and at times it does pay off for me.

That is why the machine will answer, and will quickly call back those who I want. All others get deleted. (There will be a couple options first for self serve, like direx/address, booking online represents a discount, etc.
Phone calls can be a pain, it never rings till I sit down to eat or during the last few minutes of a favorite TV show and I miss the ending, yet my strange view is that people and their questions are the reason that I'm here, take away that personal contact and I'm just the maid or janitor and the business wouldn't be much fun to me.
I feel like folks stay with me to get away from automated phone systems, self serve and big companies that lack personal contact, I believe I would lose if I tried to follow that path.
Just my view, each to his or her own.

That is why the machine will answer, and will quickly call back those who I want. All others get deleted. (There will be a couple options first for self serve, like direx/address, booking online represents a discount, etc.
What makes you think prospective guests who call will leave a message? They want to talk to you. That is why they didn't book through your website in the first place.
We don't answer the phone at this time of year because we are no longer taking reservations for 2015. But believe me that when January arrives, with calls for the 2016 season, we will answer every single call that has a personal ID.

Maybe just my strange way of looking at things or I don't have enough to do, but I sort of see that sort of request as a sales opportunity for the future, not saying to going to spend hours doing research, but if I know the answers a friendly reply may make me a sale down the road..
JimBoone said:
Maybe just my strange way of looking at things or I don't have enough to do, but I sort of see that sort of request as a sales opportunity for the future, not saying to going to spend hours doing research, but if I know the answers a friendly reply may make me a sale down the road.
No, Jim, this kind of person will never stay with her. They want her free information - they will probably be camping or staying with friends. IF they read her blog, she has already told them enough to keep them busy for a month.
I wouldn't attempt to tell anyone my approach was the only one or a correct one, only sharing that it fits me.
If a guest comes to my area and likes the visit maybe they will return and I have another chance to have them as a customer. Even if they are never a guest with us they are taking up a room in the area and maybe someone else looking for a room will stay with me.
Now I admit I don't have any special inside information on the area and we are just one little property, all I really have to sell is me, I enjoy helping and at times it does pay off for me.
JimBoone said:
I will get to meet the person who started this topic. They emailed to thank me for all the info (on the blog) and are going to stop in to say hi as they drive by.

JimBoone said:
JimBoone said:
I will get to meet the person who started this topic. They emailed to thank me for all the info (on the blog) and are going to stop in to say hi as they drive by.
And he/she will see what they missed and go home disappointed that they didn't make the choice to reserve/stay with you, their loss.

JimBoone said:
JimBoone said:
And he/she will see what they missed and go home disappointed that they didn't make the choice to reserve/stay with you, their loss.
JimBoone said:
:)

Phone calls can be a pain, it never rings till I sit down to eat or during the last few minutes of a favorite TV show and I miss the ending, yet my strange view is that people and their questions are the reason that I'm here, take away that personal contact and I'm just the maid or janitor and the business wouldn't be much fun to me.
I feel like folks stay with me to get away from automated phone systems, self serve and big companies that lack personal contact, I believe I would lose if I tried to follow that path.
I am with you on this one Jim. I answer every call - even when I KNOW it will be a "dead air" because I could be wrong.

JimBoone said:
JimBoone said:
Really? Maybe they will change their reservation and stay with you

I totally agree with you Jim. Our phone calls for reservations have increased over the last couple of years since smart phones. Years ago we were the first b&b in our state to have online reservations. It was fabulous and the phone calls were dramatically reduced. It went that way for years. About 3 years ago the calls started increasing again. My personal opinion is that with the increase of the mobile devices, it's so easy to just hit the 'call' button. I do use the ploy that I'm not in my office right now, and I'm happy to answer any and all questions, but would they be able to make their reservation online so that their room gets taken off our inventory immediately? I still want that online reservation where they have to click that they agree to our policies. 99% of the time they make their reservation online, but I've been a warm friendly voice to make them feel we welcome them.

I am with you on this one Jim. I answer every call - even when I KNOW it will be a "dead air" because I could be wrong.
Totally onboard with all of you. As mentioned previously, all calls roll to my cell if not caught by two rings, so no matter where we are I can answer. Nonsense calls are immediately set to Block. B&Bs are all about personal service and innkeeper hospitality, not corporate efficiency mentality. No one answers, they move on to the next place on the list. You have to be very pro-active these days 'specially as mentioned many times here, with AiryBBs on the rise and all those hotel OTAs.

I totally agree with you Jim. Our phone calls for reservations have increased over the last couple of years since smart phones. Years ago we were the first b&b in our state to have online reservations. It was fabulous and the phone calls were dramatically reduced. It went that way for years. About 3 years ago the calls started increasing again. My personal opinion is that with the increase of the mobile devices, it's so easy to just hit the 'call' button. I do use the ploy that I'm not in my office right now, and I'm happy to answer any and all questions, but would they be able to make their reservation online so that their room gets taken off our inventory immediately? I still want that online reservation where they have to click that they agree to our policies. 99% of the time they make their reservation online, but I've been a warm friendly voice to make them feel we welcome them.
That is generally what I had in mind, although the exact implementation not worked out:
o I do not want to spend time wrangling with robocalls, charity calls, nonguests wanting recommendations, very late night room seekers
o I do want the message to encourage them to book online
o I do want a couple options if they are just seeking directions, website, etc.
o The question is, if they still want to talk to someone, should it go to voicemail with assurance we call them right back, or should it ring to a phone (but we may/may not be available or not want to talk)...
I do not want to spend much time taking phone bookings when I am in the middle of a movie or shopping without access to computer, etc...

That is generally what I had in mind, although the exact implementation not worked out:
o I do not want to spend time wrangling with robocalls, charity calls, nonguests wanting recommendations, very late night room seekers
o The question is, if they still want to talk to someone, should it go to voicemail with assurance we call them right back, or should it ring to a phone (but we may/may not be available or not want to talk)...
I do not want to spend much time taking phone bookings when I am in the middle of a movie or shopping without access to computer, etc...
undersea said:
It depends on your market. If you are the ne plus ultra in your area, guests will await your return call. If you're just starting out you really should plan to answer every call. You should write out your spiel so you can refer to it for the first few months.
I don't answer the phone after 9pm. I don't answer during breakfast when I'm talking with guests. Our message says to look online for more info and to reserve online to be sure you get the room you want. That does not stop the person who needs to talk to someone NOW from calling back 3-4 times within 5 minutes.
You have to turn the phone off to get any peace. I unplug it altogether some nights so I can sleep.
We don't forward the phone unless we're on vacation. Then again, momma smurf is running 95% occ and I am not. So, figure out whether you want your time to be your own or if you want heads in beds. (We've never hit 90% occ, I don't want to work that hard! The more guests, the crankier I get. So plan your tactics accordingly.)

Did not take us long to learn to turn off the ringer before we went to bed.

undersea said:
It depends on your market. If you are the ne plus ultra in your area, guests will await your return call. If you're just starting out you really should plan to answer every call. You should write out your spiel so you can refer to it for the first few months.
I don't answer the phone after 9pm. I don't answer during breakfast when I'm talking with guests. Our message says to look online for more info and to reserve online to be sure you get the room you want. That does not stop the person who needs to talk to someone NOW from calling back 3-4 times within 5 minutes.
You have to turn the phone off to get any peace. I unplug it altogether some nights so I can sleep.
We don't forward the phone unless we're on vacation. Then again, momma smurf is running 95% occ and I am not. So, figure out whether you want your time to be your own or if you want heads in beds. (We've never hit 90% occ, I don't want to work that hard! The more guests, the crankier I get. So plan your tactics accordingly.)
Momma & Poppa need to pay this crazy mortgage we got locked into in 2005, and now can't refinance! We also want to be able to spend more money when we go out to visit the kids in Berkeley in November. AND we are on the 3-5 year plan to sell, so need to keep the biz pumping.
But, we don't answer the phone either during breakfast or after 9:30 PM. Rolls to my cell and says to go to our website, cause everything you could possibly want to know is there, that is if you can Read!
wink_smile.gif

AGREED!
The B&B industry was built around the personal touch. Being that friendly voice on the other end of a call may be the final check to getting a booking. People also like knowing that they are talking to the one that will be greeting them when they arrive.
We have the online booking available for those that prefer, and I too would prefer they book that way (policy read) but hospitality starts before they enter your B&B.
y business phone travels with me. All my friends understand that when it rings, that means business and I must take the call. I go very few places where I can't answer but it does happen from time to time. I do not answer after 9pm - as many have said, nothing good ever comes from that.
I will even answer during breakfast, unless my hands are full or something is in dire need of my attention. With calls that interrupt me, I ask if I may return the call. I'd rather do that then them getting my voice message. Most will not leave a message and I am wondering if it was a missed opportunity.

Back